Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Gilford / Glendale Town Docks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
As a Gilford taxpayer, I'm not sure if the 240 properties justify in taking over 2 docks and leaving only a quarter of a dock for Gilford non island residents to use. A quarter of it is reserved for boat launching and the other half is for loading and unloading only. I have talk to John Goodhue, who heads the island association about moving the load unload to the other side and share it with the boat launching site. That way the non island residents can have a full half. He just chuckles at me. There are hardly any boats on the loading/unloading side.

I did not want to Hijack the other thread therefore I have opened the debate here ........ Lauren deserves her kudo's without destroying that thread with this topic

Personally, I find it the utilization of those docks a tragedy.

I think I can count on one hand (and I'm referring to after 5:00PM)the number of times that I have seen the "Resident" docks evenly close to capacity.

Perhaps THAT may be a solution ---- after 5:00 (or pick your time) another half of a dock opens up to the public!!!

Crazier things have happened ---- look at Wolfeboro Town Dock and their "Handicap Boating" ??
Old 09-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Grady223

I live on Barndoor Island and occasionally go to the Lyon's Den for dinner, have never had an issue with finding parking but have to admit I am surprised that just about the whole docking facility is dedicated to Islanders, we certainly do not have naything like that in Alton or Wolfeboro - you've got to buy or lease your own dock. Who owns the Gilford docks?
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Unhappy Town of Gilford

owns the docks. But politically the island owners owns the docks. I agree that if the other towns do not reserve dock space to island owners, why does Gilford?

The town also maintains to dumpsters for Island residents. I'm OK with that. It helps keep the lake clean. But I have to pay for garbage pick up on the lake in Gilford. I can not use the dumpsters even tho I am a Gilford taxpayer. What's up with that?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
owns the docks. But politically the island owners owns the docks. I agree that if the other towns do not reserve dock space to island owners, why does Gilford?

The town also maintains to dumpsters for Island residents. I'm OK with that. It helps keep the lake clean. But I have to pay for garbage pick up on the lake in Gilford. I can not use the dumpsters even tho I am a Gilford taxpayer. What's up with that?
This is a touchy subject with many Gilford islanders. We pay plenty in taxes for seasonal homes, do not use the schools, and do not get much of anything else from the town. The least that they can provide us with is a place to dump our trash and tie up our boats. Docking after 5pm is never an issue and the parking officer is typically gone by then anyhow.

Does Gilford have it wrong, or is it the other towns that do?
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Mink Islander

Default The better question is....

Why don't other towns provide even minimal service to their island residents? Meredith once did provide dumpsters at Shep Brown's but long ago did away with that. Just because other towns don't provide any services to their island property owners doesn't mean it's good public policy or the correct approach for Gilford.

I applaud Gilford for understanding that for all the taxes Island Property Owners pay, they deserve to have certain (but relatively nominal) services unique to them: namely some dock space and the dumpsters during the summer. Chump change when compared to the taxes paid and the lack of other services provided (not that I want to debate that topic again). I dare say Gilford still comes out far ahead of the game. To some of you, that probably feels like (undeserved) special treatment. To those of us who live on the islands, it's a pretty modest nod to the unique circumstances of island living.

Thank you Gilford!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

On summer weekdays the island resident dock spaces are mostly full by about 7:30 am as many islanders head off to work or to take care of daily errands. We usually dock at about 7:00 am to be sure to get a spot. In the spring and fall there is less demand.

We have a modest camp on Welch Island and pay about $5,000 a year in taxes. The Glendale docks, parking and trash dumpsters are the total of the benefits we receive as there are no roads to maintain or kids in school from the islands. (Oh yes, there is the fire boat to put out the remaining embers should we have a fire at camp). The Glendale facility is important to us so that we and our guests can come and go to our residences just as the Town road that many others live on is important to them.

All Gilford residents are permitted to use the boat launch, auto parking and the 3 hour docking. While the mainlanders are all taxpayers as well, they don’t have the same need for all day docking as the island residents do. We have long appreciated that the Town of Gilford provides for the unique needs of Island residents.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
kjbathe

Default Gilford has it right

And I agree with Mink Islander's post.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I did not want to Hijack the other thread therefore I have opened the debate here ........ Lauren deserves her kudo's without destroying that thread with this topic

Personally, I find it the utilization of those docks a tragedy.

I think I can count on one hand (and I'm referring to after 5:00PM)the number of times that I have seen the "Resident" docks evenly close to capacity.

Perhaps THAT may be a solution ---- after 5:00 (or pick your time) another half of a dock opens up to the public!!!

Crazier things have happened ---- look at Wolfeboro Town Dock and their "Handicap Boating" ??
I might not have any complaints about opening up a dock for non-island residents after 5 p.m. (except on Fridays, when they are usually full with boats that have been launched in anticipation of their owners' arrival), but have you ever seen those docks during the day? They are usually completely full and hours can go by before there's any movement. For whatever reason, with the Wolfeboro and Center Harbor Docks, there's more movement.

I use a different marina because it's just too stressful to find a spot every time I need to run to shore for an errand.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Docking after 5pm is never an issue and the parking officer is typically gone by then anyhow.
Have the officer's hours change? I use to see an officer at 7 AM in the morning as people tried to launch their boats. I've seen an officer at 8 PM at night telling people they can't dock their boat.

I don't have a problem with reserving docks for island residents, but I have a tough time finding a place to dock for errands or to go to Lyon's Den. The loading/unloading dock is almost always empty. During the week the island docks are pretty empty. There must be a better way of utilizing the docks. Reserving the dock space based on time of day will be an excellent way of utilizing the docks.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
rick35

I wish Meredith would do what Gilford does in its restriction of dock space. As a Bear Island property owner the only thing I want is the ability to park my boat (for 3 hours or less) and my car. Once upon a time Bear Islanders had the use of trash dumpsters but we've learned to live without them.

We use the public dock and parking lot at Shep Browns and many times this summer I've seen boats tied up for much longer than three hours. One boat in particular caught my attention a few times in that it was parked for days and had a Gilford decal on the windshield. I didn't notice parking tickets and if not then my beef would be with the Meredith PD first for not enforcing the rule, maybe because of the weather. But it really ticked me off to see the Gilford decal. We left the docks one day together and I saw the guy go in the direction of Mark and Mink which are part of Gilford. Maybe its closer or more convenient to use Browns or the Cattle Landing but I think if Gilford is going to restrict dock space then Meredith should too.
rick35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
bigdog

Default Glendale Docks/Ramp

Are the Glendale ramp/docks available for launching boats in/out to folks other than Gilford residents? I know there is a town guard there on weekends who checks those using facilities.

I'm not a resident of Gilford, but planning to rent in town this summer.
Can I launch my boat,if if I show a rental agreement, or do I need the property owner with me to show identification that they are a Gilford resident/taxpayer? May even be a annual permit for residents, not sure ?

Can anyone provide information.

Thanks,
Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

If you rent a Gilford home the owner can supply you with a pass for launching and parking at Glendale for no cost.You must park in the upper lot.Nobody else except Gilford residents and/or renters are supposed to use the ramp.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #13
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
I wish Meredith would do what Gilford does in its restriction of dock space. As a Bear Island property owner the only thing I want is the ability to park my boat (for 3 hours or less) and my car. Once upon a time Bear Islanders had the use of trash dumpsters but we've learned to live without them.

We use the public dock and parking lot at Shep Browns and many times this summer I've seen boats tied up for much longer than three hours. One boat in particular caught my attention a few times in that it was parked for days and had a Gilford decal on the windshield. I didn't notice parking tickets and if not then my beef would be with the Meredith PD first for not enforcing the rule, maybe because of the weather. But it really ticked me off to see the Gilford decal. We left the docks one day together and I saw the guy go in the direction of Mark and Mink which are part of Gilford. Maybe its closer or more convenient to use Browns or the Cattle Landing but I think if Gilford is going to restrict dock space then Meredith should too.
This one could be a touchy debate because you know there are many Mark and Mink Islanders using Cattle Landing, but I would almost agree with having a parking permit for Meredith residents and non residents paying a fee to use Cattle Landing in the summer. I have had many days in the summer leaving in the morning to run errands and not have a parking space when returning.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
Island-Ho

Default Glendale Guest Pass

The Glendale guest pass is no longer free, but is still a reasonable investment for a property owner. New regulations for Glendale have or will go in to effect soon. The first guest pass costs either $25 or $50, I forget which. You can see the new regs on the Gilford town web site. There have also been some minor changes to the parking area restrictions.
I very seldom dock at Glendale because it is often difficult to find a space. I do appreciate the load/unload side for picking up guests or sometimes dumping trash or recycle material.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
If you rent a Gilford home the owner can supply you with a pass for launching and parking at Glendale for no cost.You must park in the upper lot.Nobody else except Gilford residents and/or renters are supposed to use the ramp.
Small clarification, it's for Gilford taxpayers, you do not have to be a resident.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #16
bilproject

Default Meredith residents only at Meredith docks

Meredith should issue a boat permit for property owners to display at the dock. Cattle Landing should be for Meredith residents only as it is so small. Mink and Mark owners should be at Gilford. Browns Dock should be 30 minute only for the public on one side of one finger and 3 hours on the rest.
Out of common sense the large plontoon boats should be banned unless you are actively loading. Nothing frosts me more than seeing 2 people pull up in a 24 foot long 8' wide toon and tie up all day. Most of these docks were designed with 16' or smaller row boats in mind. Bring the smallest boat you can when tying up to the public dock
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
topwater

Thumbs down

There are some very large changes for the Glendale launch. The " VISTOR'S PASS " does cost $50, vs free last year. When and if you get a pass you can launch at Glendale however you CANNOT park your trailer in any of the parking lots, including the upper back lot where in the past you were allowed to park a trailer. The only people who have permission to park a trailer there are the Gilford residents who have a " TOWN STICKER " on their vehicle, the same one that lets you use Gilford beach as well.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 PM   #18
bigdog

Default Glendale Town Docks

Thanks everyone for the information about the Glendale docks. Seems like a sensitive subject for some?

WIll check with the property owner to see if he's informed about the guest passes.

Thanks again !
Bigdog
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 AM   #19
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Thanks everyone for the information about the Glendale docks. Seems like a sensitive subject for some?

WIll check with the property owner to see if he's informed about the guest passes.

Thanks again !
Bigdog
Suggest you call the Gilford town clerk's office at 603-527-4713, they issue the passes and have copies of the latest regs. The regs are also available at:
http://www.gilfordnh.org/Public_Docu...2EE81-000F8513

Any taxpayer (resident or not) can pay to get up to three guest passes for Glendale. A $25 pass is parking only on the upper level. A $50 pass is upper level parking (vehicle only, no trailer) and use of the launch ramp. The taxpayer can buy any combination of three passes. Only vehicles with a Gilford taxpayer window sticker can park in the lower level or park a trailer for the day in the upper level.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
snowbird

Default Correction

"any combination of the three passes" is not correct.

There is a limit of one $50 guest pass that includes the right to use the launch ramp. The other two are good for upper lot parking only, with no launch privileges.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #21
Mink Islander

Default No restriction on what combo of the pass type you opt for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post

There is a limit of one $50 guest pass that includes the right to use the launch ramp. The other two are good for upper lot parking only, with no launch privileges.
I've read the new regs completely including the operative paragraph on guest passes and it's very specific but contains absolutely no such restriction on what combo of passes (i.e. with or without launch privileges) you opt for. I can assure you that if the intent was to apply such restrictions it would be written in plain English in the operative paragraph.

The new regs went through several published drafts before approval. Perhaps you saw an earlier draft with those restrictions. If so, they didn't make the final version.

Slickcraft is correct.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post

The town clerk's office told me any combination as long as you pay. I was there in person.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Mink Islander

Talking No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
This one could be a touchy debate because you know there are many Mark and Mink Islanders using Cattle Landing, but I would almost agree with having a parking permit for Meredith residents and non residents paying a fee to use Cattle Landing in the summer. I have had many days in the summer leaving in the morning to run errands and not have a parking space when returning.
I'll just get my Bear Island relatives to get me guest passes.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #24
snowbird

Default Confused

I guess I'm wrong. Confused, too. Sorry if I confused others.
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #25
Little Bear

Thumbs down There's a funny smell in Gilford...

...similar to a rat. I heard (from a very reliable source) that right after Gilford changed the rules regarding the Glendale Visitors Pases, someone at the Town level called all their cronies and told them to get to the Town Hall the next morning ASAP to collect their "free" passes. I heard there were about 100 people lined up who got their passes free, prior to the $25.00 charge being implemented. See if this passes the SNIFF test??
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #26
topwater

But just be aware, you are allowed to launch there and park you CAR/TRUCK in the upper parking lot, but with a VISTORS PASS you are not allowed to park your TRAILER there. Just the people with a Gilford Town sticker on ther windshield.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #27
Mink Islander

Default Mmm

If you followed the iterations of the proposed new regs at all -- and you could easily by just watching the updates posted on the Gilford town site -- you knew a long time ago that fees were likely going to get approved this year. The Gilford Island Association sent an email blast around to that group, for example, seeking comments on the then draft regs a couple weeks before the changes were approved. It's not like this was some secret fee approved quietly at midnight behind closed doors. If some folks raced to get in under the wire and save $25, so what? If others missed out. Shame on them. They should pay better attention to what's happening in the local town government. Perhaps there's a broader lesson there about the importance of staying informed.

Not to steal Skip's tag line, but ignorance really is no excuse here....
Old 04-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #28
bigdog

Default Guilford / Glendale Town Docks Guest Passes

Thanks folks for all the great feedback...

One question regarding the Gilford guest passess at $25.......

Nobody mentioned how long the guest passes were good for?

Are the passes good for the entire summer season? Or only good for one week's time period?

Also, if a Gilford taxpayer purchases a 'guest pass', can this same pass be, excuse the pun, passed from one person to the next, in the case of cottage rentals.

Can someone clarify?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #29
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Thanks folks for all the great feedback...

One question regarding the Gilford guest passess at $25.......

Nobody mentioned how long the guest passes were good for?

Are the passes good for the entire summer season? Or only good for one week's time period?

Also, if a Gilford taxpayer purchases a 'guest pass', can this same pass be, excuse the pun, passed from one person to the next, in the case of cottage rentals.

Can someone clarify?
Again, I suggest you look at regulations, I posted the link.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #30
Mink Islander

Default More info

The pass is good for the whole season and is the property of the purchaser. It should be returned to the property owner after use so it can be given to other guests. Don't lose it though. Gilford won't provide replacements.