Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-14-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
tmm366

Question GPS question

I am a new member to this forum and have enjoyed reading the various threads. I have a formula 37pc that I keep at lakeport landing. The boat has an older raymarine monochrome gps with a small screen with Cmap software.I am looking to upgrade to the new A65 or c80 unit which are color and much easier to read in sunlight. These newer units use navionics software. I have heard different opinions about the navionics vs Cmap software. If anyone has the navionics chip I would like to hear your opinions. Thanks Tom
tmm366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
RamJet

Default navionics vs bizer

any idea which of these are better? I hear know that Bizer requires a unit that uses C-Maps, which limits the selection.
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
Kamper

Default GPS Maps

Although Duncan Press makes a fine product, I personally prefer the Bizer chart of the lake. When I was looking for a chart plotter 4-5 years ago I compared the Garmin sample map of Winnipissaukee and did not like it.

The Bizer web-site indicated their product was available in C-Map format so I got a unit that accepted it. I felt it would be an easier mental transition to go from looking at my paper chart for an over view to the smaller display on the 'plotter without having to mentally translate the slightly different styles.

That first chip has some errors and deficienies which were corrected in the subsequent edition I got 2 years ago. There is probaby another edition available by now but I have not checked the C-MAP USA site latley.

I have heard/read other people discussing the Garmin products and I think they have better options now. If you can you might want to look at both before making a decision. If you can wait until there are more boats at the town docks you might find someone nesting while the crew is on 'shore-leave' and talk them into a demo.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
tmm366

I decided to go with the new raymarine A65 GPS. It's being installed in 2 days by navtronics. I'll let you know how I like it and the navionics map software.

Tom
Old 04-24-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
secondcurve

Tom:

How much did it cost and where did you purchase it? Lastly, who is navtronics.

Thanks
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #6
tmm366

Navtronics is located in Portsmouth, NH. Their website is www.navtronics.com. I dealt with a salesman named RJ. The total cost for the A65 gps and digital depthfinder will be approx $3100. $2100 for parts and $1000 for Installation ,travel and freight. This includes the navionics map software. I saw the A65 at the Boston Boatshow and was very impressed. The next step up would be a unit with radar costing $6000. I personally don't need radar on the lake, we dont go out in bad weather.
www.raymarine.com details all of their units and options. Hope this helps.

Tom
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Orion

Default Bizer my support Garmin soon

I have had two different Raymarine GPS units that have used the Winni C-map chip. The C-map chart is pretty good and I have had no problems thought both units seem to be taking longer to synch on startup now (2-10 minutes). I also use GPS in the car and for Geocaching and have since gone to a new Garmin Quest 2 which I can use in the boat, car (with routing/turn voice commands), or handheld on when on foot for hiking. If Bizer holds to his plan to release a Garmin-compatible Winni map this year, I will have the best of all worlds in a single GPS unit....and all for under $600. I'm planning on getting a second suction-cup mount for use in the boat. And best of all, it fits in my pocket.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 AM   #8
RamJet

Default Hello Bizer

Hello Bizer,

When will the Garmin support be available?

Will it be compatable with the Garmin Quest 2 and the POIs?
RamJet is offline   Reply With Quote