Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Airwaves

Default Gunkholing

I hope I spelled it right.

This is what I really LOVE to do on Winni. When I get a chance to be up there for a week or so what I try to do is quarter the lake (on the chart) and just explore. So far the spots I explored that I had never seen prior that stick out in my mind are Greens Basin, and the "other" cove at Cow Island.

Greens was amazing! It reminded me of the fjiords of Norway (okay, I've never seen them but it's what I imagined!) And the water was great for swimming.

The "other" cove on Cow Island was tranquil, and as I discovered FULL of rocks! Once we discovered we had motored into a rock field I had my wife running from bow to stern (fortunately we had a 16' boat at the time) telling me how to get out without hitting one with my 30 horse outboard!

Yep, I am an owner of bowriders, so there are some spots where I won't take the boat, but I am open to suggestions on parts of the lake that NEED to be explored!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
jrc

FULL of rocks, sometimes I think they should have named it rock lake. Some of these destinations are pretty obvious and some are overcrowded on weekends but beautiful on weekdays. All have tons of rocks, so keep your eyes open. I visited all of them with a 26' bowrider.

Stonedam Island and Sally's Gut
Every time I'm up during the week, I take a ride from the Weirs side, through Sally's gut. Then dock at the Stonedam island dock, and walk some of the trails. All around Stondam there are small sandy areas to wade.

Varney Islands, Worcester Island
It's fun to take the passage between Kensington and Melody, the rocks look a lot closer than they are. On busy days you'll seem a few boats anchored around the back side. We like to anchor in the little cove behind Worcester. There's a cool abandonded stone boat dock there just under the water so watch out. Plus don't get too close to the loons.

Blueberry Island
On quiet weekdays, it's fun to anchor on the north side. And wade on the sandy beach. The island is protected, so keep your feet wet. While you are there take a ride in the cove behind Wallace Island, there a cool looking building, built right in the water.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Dave R

Make it a point to go completely around all of the islands that you can safely circumnavigate, as close as you safely can and slowly. There's some neat stuff to see up close like that. I suppose that's why folks like to paddle out there.

I like to nose around in marinas checking out the boats. West Alton Marina is a good place to check out since it's kinda off the beaten path so to speak. Fays is another. If you can squeeze under the bridge, go into Back Bay in Wolfeboro. Always plenty of dock space back there. Shame they can't make the bridge a couple feet higher, it would make it so much easier to stop in for a bite and shopping on a weekend...

Nose around down in Robert's Cove, the views to the northwest are stunning from there.

You will need to pass through the Hole in the Wall if you haven't yet. I've been boating on the lake since I was a little kid and went through there for the first time last August. Never had a reason to, so I did it for no reason.

I can't recall the name of the cove but it's the next cove east of Blackey Cove and it's off the beaten path.

There's a small basin at the northwest end of Winter Harbor, if you can fit under the bridge, have a look.

Go around the southeast side of the two big islands in 19 Mile Bay.

There's a little cove at the south end of Paugus Bay that leads to Opechee Bay. You have to go under a railroad bridge to get in there.

I intend to do a lot more snorkeling in the areas that are really rocky. I bet the areas between the Varney Islands are uttery fascinating under the surface.

If you have never been to Long Lake/ Sebago Lake in Maine, take a trip. You can navigate the Songo River between them and go through a lock. It's very cool for gunkholers. Both lakes are utterly deserted compared to Winnipesaukee. Bring food though, not a whole lot of places to eat compared to Winnipesaukee, especially on Sebago.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Beaver Island

Its worth the trip - a unique spot. Another interesting gunkhole if found by going between the bridge abuttments in Centre Harbor. Start on the north western most shore and head south.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #5
camp guy

Default Gunkholing

Johnson Cove in Winter Harbor has some underwater hazzards, particularly noteworthy being the submerged logs deep into the Cove. Following the 1938 hurricane a saw mill was built to process the logs blown down all over the Lakes Region, and following the active period of the sawmill it was essentially abandoned, and, through time, collapsed on itself. The logs left in booms in the water eventually waterlogged and slowly sank, some flat to the bottom, others angled with one end stuck in the bottom muck and the "lighter" end nearer the surface. Believe me, I became an expert at the fine art of changing outboard shear pins following cruises in this area. I finally got smart and staring using a canoe to explore the shoreline. The surface ends of these logs made great sunning spots for turtles and bull frogs. Most of the logs are more fully sunk now, but, you can rest assured, there is one out there with your outdrive name on it. Good Luck.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
{snip} Greens was amazing! It reminded me of the fjiords of Norway (okay, I've never seen them but it's what I imagined!) And the water was great for swimming.
{snip}

Just to revive a good semi-old thread .... Hope you saw this (from Bizer's) before your trip to Green's basin. What did jrc say a rocks

See the notes at :
http://www.bizer.com/bztnews.htm#lakelevel
Old 03-30-2006, 11:22 PM   #7
Airwaves

I always wondered who was standing on my head

Thanks all, I will be printing out everyone's suggestions prior to my next gunkhole week at the lake! Keep 'em coming!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
gtxrider

Default Pining for the Fjiords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Just to revive a good semi-old thread .... Hope you saw this (from Bizer's) before your trip to Green's basin. What did jrc say a rocks

See the notes at :
http://www.bizer.com/bztnews.htm#lakelevel
Originally Posted by Airwaves
{snip} Greens was amazing! It reminded me of the fjiords of Norway (okay, I've never seen them but it's what I imagined!) And the water was great for swimming.
{snip}

There are many places off the beaten path that are nice to explore. I like to cruise around on the Sea Doo and sight see.

Is that a Great Loon in the picture or just a Loony?
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Loony or Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
{snip} Is that a Great Loon in the picture or just a Loony?
The picture shows something black and shiny and wet. I dedude it's either a penguin (but since it's not on the telly that can't be it) or someone in a wetsuit. Given it's someone in a wetsuit I ask "who wears wetsuits ?" Well divers wear wetsuits. Are divers loony ? Well some are, therefore it's a Loony ! There, I've run rings around you logically!