Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 11:48 PM   #1
jrc

Default Public places to dock

I know about the five big places, Alton, Weirs, Meredith, Center Harbor and Wolfeboro. And I also know about Gilford/Glendale, Stonedam, St John's on Bear and a few restaurants/bars, BK, Sandy Point, Garwoods, and Naswa. Are there any other places to dock and do something?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #2
Kamper

There's public docking at Melvin Village but I dont believe there is anything to do. I checked it out a couple years back because the chart said there was a restaraunt there but it had closed (current map doesnt claim any services). There is nothing else there except a place to tie your boat and maybe take the dog for a walk, remember that's yours too so pick it up!! There werent even Porta-potties then.

Union Wharf at 19 Mile Bay has a small grocery store and ice-cream stand. The store sells sandwiches and coffee too. The wood docks allow short-term tie up for customers. I'm under the impression the jetty is a public facility. There are P-p's here. There is also a public beach within walking distance.

Silver Sands Motel and Marina, in Saunder's Bay has coffee in the morning.

I'm told non-residetns can use the Glendale town docks near the Marine Patrol if they are doing business with the stores there.

If you have kids they will be thrilled to go to Burger King by boat. There's one in Paugus Bay. There's a McDonald's across the street and a couple other places nearby but someone in your group better do business with BK or they could be upset with you.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Dave R

There's a porta potti at Lee's Mills. Not much else though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Bear Islander

The Y-Landing Marina behind Pine Island has a convenience store open during the summer.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
puckada

Smile Melvin Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper
There's public docking at Melvin Village but I dont believe there is anything to do. I checked it out a couple years back because the chart said there was a restaraunt there but it had closed (current map doesnt claim any services). There is nothing else there except a place to tie your boat and maybe take the dog for a walk, remember that's yours too so pick it up!! There werent even Porta-potties then.

Union Wharf at 19 Mile Bay has a small grocery store and ice-cream stand. The store sells sandwiches and coffee too. The wood docks allow short-term tie up for customers. I'm under the impression the jetty is a public facility. There are P-p's here. There is also a public beach within walking distance.

Silver Sands Motel and Marina, in Saunder's Bay has coffee in the morning.

I'm told non-residetns can use the Glendale town docks near the Marine Patrol if they are doing business with the stores there.

If you have kids they will be thrilled to go to Burger King by boat. There's one in Paugus Bay. There's a McDonald's across the street and a couple other places nearby but someone in your group better do business with BK or they could be upset with you.

Good luck!
There is a new restaurant coming to Melvin Village, its located at the Pine View Lodge, its called the Pine Cone Cafe and Village Pub. They Will be serving Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Its about half a mile from the town dock.
puckada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper
Unfortunately the Gilford Islands owners have the two docks toward marine patrol headquarters. All other boaters including Gilford residents are stuck with a single dock. The one furthest from the MP headquarters. You may park your boat for up to three hours on the inside edge of the dock. The outside edge is for loading/unloading only. One wonder why the town of Gilford calls this the public docks.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #7
trfour

Post Lakeport.

Back in the early 90s, one of my favorite breakfast spots was ( A Small Cafe ). I saw on a Duncan chart of the time that there was a public docking area just to the north of Irwin's in Lakeport, Paugus Bay. I checked it out and the dock looked like it was part of Irwin's as one of thier lake service boats was tied up at one end. I fueled up the boat at Irwin's and asked the manager if I could park there to have breakfast at the Cafe, and he said " sure ". I docked there many times and never had a problem. A short walk through the Water Works parking area to the restaurant.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-20-2006 at 09:50 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
Rayhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
Unfortunately the Gilford Islands owners have the two docks toward marine patrol headquarters. All other boaters including Gilford residents are stuck with a single dock. The one furthest from the MP headquarters. You may park your boat for up to three hours on the inside edge of the dock. The outside edge is for loading/unloading only. One wonder why the town of Gilford calls this the public docks.
Actually they are for Gilford residents only ...Great idea , busy enough over there
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
jrc

Default Dock 1B is public

So I assume that means all the public. Here is the link to the rules on the town website.

http://www.gilfordnh.org/Public_Docu...rdNH_DPW/docks

That said, there usually isn't a lot of open space on 1B. I don't think you would have a problem parking in 1A to run in the store. I do think eating meal in the restaurant while parked at the drop off dock would be an issue. Remember there is often Gilford police in the small brick building.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:08 AM   #10
Mink Islander

Default Nothing unfortunate about it.

At least the town of Gilford recognizes that the Island Residents deserve some minimal level of service for all the taxes we pay. Some dock space, dumpsters, and permit parking is far more than what any other town on the lake provides -- and that's a good thing and to Gilford's credit.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #11
Island Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
Actually they are for Gilford residents only ...Great idea , busy enough over there
Thats not correct.

None of the docks are for Gilford residents only. One is for the general public. The other two are for Gilford ISLAND residence only. Island property owners are given special stickers.
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #12
Woodsy

Island property owners should get some docking priveleges in all towns. They certainly pay enough in taxes.

Woodsy

PS: I am not an island property owner...
Old 03-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
jrc

Default More detail

Someone sent a PM and asked for me to give some more detail of the places I mentioned. I'm crossposting here, just in case anyone else wants to know. They also asked about the ice cream stand in Paugus Bay.

Gilford/Glendale we are discussing in the original thread. There's a restaurant and a small store. It's behind Locke's Island on the way to Fay's.

Stonedam Island is a nature preserve. It has a small public dock, lots of trails and beaches. It's due north of Governors Island. Dock is on the east side.

St John's is a church on Bear Island. They have a public dock on the south side of the island. I've never walked up to the church.

Sandy point is a restaurant and motel in Alton bay. They have their own docks. The restaurant is always packed and you better have reservations. They serve mainly lobster and prime rib.

Garwoods is a resturant in Wolfeboro. They have their own dock or you can walk from the town dock. Mostly fried fish and hamburgers. Nice pub.

I've seen the ice cream place with the long name beginning with "L", but I haven't tried it yet.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #14
Rayhunt

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover
Thats not correct.

None of the docks are for Gilford residents only. One is for the general public. The other two are for Gilford ISLAND residence only. Island property owners are given special stickers.
You are correct .. Shame on me , and ive lived right across from the docks my entire life.. You can tie up to 1B for three hours .
I would consider gilford island residents as Gilford Residents..wouldnt you ?
I like the way Gilford has managed this facility
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thumbs up Wolfeboro Docks

Usually I find the Wolfeboro docks on the lakeside full. When the water is not so high, I can travel under the bridge to Back bay. You will find more public docks on your right in front of the railroad station. I always find a space there.
While you are at Wolfeboro, look for Bailey's ice cream. Best place on the lake for ice cream. Bring some home with you for excellent mud slides!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #16
Island Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
Island property owners should get some docking priveleges in all towns. They certainly pay enough in taxes.

Woodsy

PS: I am not an island property owner...
Finally something we agree on!

You keep making statements like that and we will make you a honorary bear islander.

We have public docks at Sheps but they are not just for islanders. And the marina uses them for their valet customers. I never understood why the town lets them get away with that. They even park overnight which is against town ordinance.
Island Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #17
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Lover
Finally something we agree on!

You keep making statements like that and we will make you a honorary bear islander.
That would be nice! I wish I owned Island property!

I am pretty sure about the only thing we don't agree on is that Speed Limit, and we can just agree to disagree on that issue. I am pretty much on board with the rest of your concerns!

I hope that with HB-162 behind us (for now) we can get back to being a fun community!

Woodsy
Old 03-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #18
66WINN

Default Paugus Bay

I thought the docks at BK were public town docks. I always dock there and head up to Pizza Hut and Friendly's with the kids. There are public docks listed on my map in that general vicinity so I assumed it was those.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:46 PM   #19
jrc

I always assumed they belonged to BK. My Bizer 6th edition has an "R" for restaurant, not a "D" for public dock.

I hope 66WINN is right, you can only eat so many Whoppers.

That said, those are some pretty nasty docks.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
Bear Islander

Last summer when we were there the manager was out on the docks explaining they were BK only. He also said tie up to the cleats, not the posts.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #21
BroadHopper

Arrow Lakeport Public Docks.

Back in the '60's, there was a launch ramp on the Laconia Water Works property Northeast of Irwin Marine. Since then, I notice the ramp is gone. I was told by an employee a long time ago that anyone can tie up in front of the property. I think this is the place on Bizer and Duncan maps that designate a public dock.
I do occasionally tie up there to breakfast at the Small Cafe across the street. No one had approach me about docking there.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #22
Phantom

To a comment to JRC's earlier post --

Sandy Point in Alton has their own docks, but it is a limited number. On week-end's they will provide (or at least use to) shuttle service from the Town Docks - simply call when you arrive.

The above is also true for Canoe in Centre Harbour -- simply call from the Town Docks and they'll send a shuttle.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #23
ghfromaltonbay

Default Sandy Point docking

There are 3 docking spaces for the restaurant, that is if someone doesn't take his half out of the middle of the long side dock. Summer of 2005 they were providing the shuttle service in their van to the public docks, so I assume 2006 will be the same.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote