Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
Skip

Smile Custom cockpit & bow cover.....

....for my 20' FourWinns bowrider.

OK, it's time for me to seek a little advice rather than dish it out!

I know we have covered canvas shops here in the past, but since shops open & close on a regular basis I am looking for recommendations on a shop that could custom cut a new bow & cockpit cover for my boat in the next month or two.

Leaving the boat on-site is not a problem. Would prefer a shop on the southerly or eastern portion of the Lake (easy access from Ossipee Lake).

Anyway, looking for suggestions....

Thanks all,

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
billhurley

Ship Shape Canvas & Upholstery

(603) 528-6559 Anne.

She comes to West Alton Marine and does alot of work onsite. I have had very good luck with them. I think she is in Belmont.
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
chocophile

Default Canvas Plus in Melvin Village

Two years ago, we had a cockpit and bow cover made for a 19' Four Winns at Canvas Plus in Melvin Village. I believe their number is 544.3178. He did a nice job. The total cost was $375 + $190.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Oh boy Skip,you left yourself wide open for this one...You sure can dish it out!!But I like what you've been serving! Try Tom's Top's & Trim located by Lake Winnisquam.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
KBoater

Default Close to You

2 years ago I used Ward Boat in Osippee. They made side and back canvas from my old ones. Good job reasonable price.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #6
Winnipesaukee Divers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocophile
Two years ago, we had a cockpit and bow cover made for a 19' Four Winns at Canvas Plus in Melvin Village. I believe their number is 544.3178. He did a nice job. The total cost was $375 + $190.

I had Canvas Plus make a bimini for me three years ago. Although, I like Rich and he did a good job for a fair price, however, something was lost in the translation (probably because I didn't speak Russian) as he did not follow directions and I got what I got. Since the job was not what I ordered I wondered who was working for whom and to make matters worse he used cotton thread that breaks down over time and it was coming apart everywhere. Rather than complain to Rich and cause hard feelings I decided to take the bimini and my old dodger to a real canvas guy in Newburyport, MA and pay him the big bucks to rework them. This time I sure the job will be done right since his last job (the dodger) lasted 12 years.

I chalk this up to another learning experience and reinforcement of the old saying "You get what you pay for"....
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:02 PM   #7
Aquadeziac

Thumbs up

The Canvas Guys on 11B in Gilford has done all my canvas repair work and this last fall it was time for a complete new camper canvas with all new bows. It came out superb. Quality was top notch and price was excellent. They weren't happy till I was happy.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
jrc

I second the Canvas Guys. They did repair work for me, done fast and low cost. Wrong side of the lake though.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
EllyPoinster

Default Rollins Upholstery in Wolfeboro

Rollins Upholstery in Wolfeboro made a top cover for me many years ago and it stood up well until I upgraded to a new boat. When I picked it up Steve told me not to get mad at him if any of the snaps broke - just bring the cover back and he would replace them no charge. Five or so years later I showed up unannounced to take him up on his offer. He dropped what he was doing and replaced a few missing snaps on the spot.

I don't need a cover right now, but I'd go back to Rollins.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #10
masssteve

Four Winns is very good about there tops! I Bought all new replacement Sunbrella factory canvas from Winnisquam Marina. Fourwinns still makes and stocks replacement pieces for many years back. I had a 93 190 Horizon with the full canvas, 5 pieces and they can all be ordered separately. Not only was it a perfect size match they even have the original factory colors. It was also alot less money! Call them or Melvin Village Marina, you'll be very happy.
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:24 PM   #11
Skip

Thumbs up You guys are the greatest!

It was my wife's idea for new canvas and I let her take a peek at all the great suggestions given here.

Then she started thinking....so many suggestions, we'd probably have to shop around, the canvas will probably cost in excess of $700, hmmmmm - could we maybe get a new boat with a porta-potti????

New boat????

Gee, dear...that's kind of drastic but you know I'm here to do anything you want! If you really must drag me around the boat dealers this spring then so be it, I'll try to find the time!!!!

Man....she can be soooo hard on me at times, maybe that's why I'm cranky and longwinded in some of my posts!!!

Hey, thanks again for the great suggestions! I mean, look where it's led me....this place really is the greatest!!!

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote