Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
ThePlut

Default Help finding valet or slip!

I just got awful news on the heels of great news. I just upsized my boat from 20' to 24' after getting a fantastic deal on the 24'. I dropped an e-mail to Meredith Marina, where I kept my 20' last year and find out that they won't be accepting boats larger than 23' into their valet service next year!!!

Now I'm on the hunt to find a valet service or slip. Somewhere on the southern 1/2 of the lake.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm really depressed over this now.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
billhurley

Default West Alton Marina

The Plut,
I am not sure if they have any openings, but I would try WAM
(603) 875-7788. We love it there.

By the way I finally bought the Navman 5500I.
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
PROPELLER

The Plut, you could also call M.V.Y.C., they have valet, 603-293-0059
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:09 AM   #4
ThePlut

Default Thanks

Thanks.

WAM was on my list, my father used to keep his boat there, but I'm not optimistic they'll have a spot.

What's MVYC, Propeller? Feel free to PM me at plutnicki@mac.com if you don't want to put full names on the forum?

Bill, Congrats on the Navman, you'll really like it.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:13 AM   #5
PROPELLER

Mountain View Yacht Club in Gilford, next to Silver Sands
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
ThePlut

Default Thanks

Thanks guys,

No love so far.

I got on a waiting list for WAM. Won't find out anything until March 1st. Not sure I'm too happy with the "must store here" clause, but beggar's can be choosers.

Fay's told me to call back in mid-March, since his slips are first come first served for winter storage folks too.

Left a message at Mountain View.

Called Meredith back and will beg and plead. Apparently they're grandfathering in previous customers with their current/larger boats.

Any other suggestions? I found Shep Brown online too, but they seem to only do their own customers boats.

...Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #7
billhurley

You could try Minge Cove, the Pavilion in Alton and Downing landings have slips as well (they have very few however)
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
codeman671

Depending on the height of the boat in the water (5' or less to make it under the bridge without turning yourself into the headless horseman) you could try Parker Marine in Alton. They always seem to have slips available and are very reasonable. I think that Kim is the contact name.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #9
codeman671

Also try Bill at Glendale Marine Ltd for valet, they usually have space available.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #10
ThePlut

Default Thanks

I'll add Glendale and Parker to the list.

I'd have to drop the bimini top, but I think I could get under 5'.

Thanks,
Old 10-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #11
parrothead

Default Y-Landing

You could also try Y-Landing Marina on Meredith Neck. They have limited slips, but believe they do Valet service also.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #12
PROPELLER

The Plut, sorry! I just posted trying the Wolftrap in Back Bay but realized after I posted that you traded up to 24'. Thats too big for them. Thats why this was edited.

Last edited by PROPELLER; 10-13-2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:13 AM   #13
ThePlut

Default Thanks guys

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the help. Here's the rundown thus far.

Y-Landing can't handle the boat and don't have any space anyway.

Meredith said no on followup, new policy, so sorry.

Fays said talk to us in March, most slips/valet go to people who winterize there.

I'm on WAM's waiting list, but I'm not thrilled about the "must winterize here" policy

Glendale has valet space and would be happy to have me, sounds like. VERY nice woman (Sally) to talk to on the phone. I wasn't clear on the docking/retreval situation, sounds like I have to tie up to the town dock. How hard would it be to get there on a weekend?

I can also get into a wet slip at Parker if I give them $150 up front. Sounds like they are even a little cheaper than Glendale. What I'm not confident about is that 60". The new 240 is specified to have 57" bridge clearance. I'll have to fold the bimini down, which isn't a problem. Is the 60" the worst case max height, or is there a real risk that I won't be able to get in/out of there early in the year when the lake is high???

Anyone real familiar with Parker? How's the facilities there? Good folks to deal with? I'm really leaning toward that for a wet slip.

Thanks again!!!

...Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #14
fpartri497

Default parker marine slips

the plut:

I have been at parker marine since 1999, the rt. 11 bridge was never a problem to me before i got my new boat june 1st. of this year. for the first two weeks of june with the high water, i couldnt get out as I also have 57" clearence. but all the crew from parkers sat up front and we hand walked it out on sevaral occasions untill the lake level dropped to normal.

yes you do have to drop your bimini and your stern light if night boating.and your raido antenna. all these little annoyances, you get used to after a while. ist still a nice place to have a slip. well protected from the wind and such. and by the way they are a lot less expensive than other marinas around the lake (because of the bridge) AND THE CREW IS THE BEST.

by the way I dont work for them I just like it there.

fpartri497
Old 10-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
ThePlut

Default Thanks

Thanks for the endorsement!

Seems like a great place to have a slip, and the price is pretty reasonable. I think I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't get my boat out for 2 weeks though...

More thinking to do.

BTW, I also did call MVYC and left a message, so I don't know about them yet. And Silver Sands said wait until spring, they don't valet.

...Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 12:10 PM   #16
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Parker Marine

Hi Plut
I have been at Parker Marine since 1998 and I am very happy. I have a 55" bridge clearance and have never had a problem with the bridge.(except I forgot my stern light once)
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #17
codeman671

Both Parker and Glendale are very pleasant. I had a pontoon boat at parker for a year and in the early season had to hand-walk it under the bridge, pushing down while soing so. A bit scary for the first time in a brand new boat but worth the ease of use and price. Their facilities are a bit limited, it is not a cushy yacht club. I wasn't staying on mine so it worked great for me.

Sally and Bill at Glendale are very nice, I see them frequently while at the docks and they are constantly launching and pulling boats. I have never experienced a major wait for a spot, since the boat is coming out when you pull in you can usually go to the loading area dock and they can grab it immediately. The only thing that you might want to check on is parking, I am not sure how they work it since the main parking area is for Gilford residents with parking passes. I am sure that they have some way around it.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:26 PM   #18
Steve

What about Paugus Bay Marina across from Lakeport Landing? I stored a 26' boat in a rack there. Kevin and his crew and really outstanding there. Give them a call.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #19
ThePlut

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reviews.

As far as facilities, mostly concerned about a place to park and a bathroom. Other than that, not much to worry about. The old marina was pretty sparce too (on both counts)

Sounds like either way will work out for me.

I like the idea of having a nice protected wet slip, but the thought of hand walking my boat out... Gives me heebie jeebies....

How about parking at Parkers? Plenty? Can I bring my trailer up and pull the boat out (say for service or cleaning) right at the marina?

I may have to do a road trip this weekend to decide for sure...

Thanks again, you guys have been very helpful.

...Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #20
ThePlut

Default Paugus Bay

I was really trying to keep Paugus and Wiers as kind of a last resort. Only because it means a trip through Weirs, 2x/day, every time I go up, and usually I avoid that area of the lake as much as possible.

But, I may have to call and see if the price warrants the reduced convenience.

...Jim
Old 10-13-2005, 12:46 PM   #21
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Parker will let you use the ramp all you want.There are porta-potties and I have never had a problem with parking.(I am a very pickey parker when I drive my plastic chevrolet).
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #22
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut
Seems like a great place to have a slip, and the price is pretty reasonable. I think I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't get my boat out for 2 weeks though...
Hey Jim,

If the water is too deep, just cross the street and meet us at Downings, if you can stand to be seen in a 6 year old Regal

Alternatively, I'm good for at least 2" of extra bridge clearance just by being a passenger...

Dave
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #23
ThePlut

Default Thanks

Dave,

Thanks. I'd be very proud to stand on the deck of Mischief Managed. Yours is one of the coolest looking boats (and one of the best names) on the lake, IMHO. As I recall, we had planned to take some alternate test rides that we never quite got around to. Sounds like a plan for next year...

The dealer said I could just pull the drain plug, that should be good for a few inches... Not many dealers would recommend sinking the boat, he must really have some confidence.

Still thinking... But really appreciate all the feedback thus far. But a slip in Alton Bay just feels really appealing. Plus, I could stop working out and really get the weight going!

...Jim

Last edited by ThePlut; 10-13-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:16 AM   #24
Phantom

Have you looked into Channel Marine ?? I know you are trying to avoid that area but there's another "Valet" option. I don't know what their "hidden" policies are though (i.e. winterization etc) sorry. We habe a Crownline and have always been treated well by those folks --- just another option as you search in the off season -- Good Luck

P,s -- Where's Parker exactly? I've been racking my brain trying to picture a marina behind some bridge?
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:21 AM   #25
PROPELLER

Default Parker

Its at the end of Alton Bay, on route 11, across the street from Gillan Marine.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:43 AM   #26
ThePlut

Default Channel

I haven't called Channel yet, but would have if it got to that point. I almost bought a Crownline, and it did seem like a nice operation.

I'm going to call Parker this morning and try and reserve that spot. Having a wet slip in Alton just seems worth it, even with the bridge clearance. Just will be hoping for a norminal lake this year, or buy some wakeboarding fat sacs to weigh down the boat on entrance and exit...

Thanks for all the help, I *should* be all set, we'll see when I call...

...Jim
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom

P,s -- Where's Parker exactly? I've been racking my brain trying to picture a marina behind some bridge?
It's almost in New Durham
Old 10-14-2005, 10:17 AM   #28
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut
Dave,

Thanks. I'd be very proud to stand on the deck of Mischief Managed. Yours is one of the coolest looking boats (and one of the best names) on the lake, IMHO. As I recall, we had planned to take some alternate test rides that we never quite got around to. Sounds like a plan for next year...

...Jim
Why thanks. We will need ot make more concrete plans for next season since we'll both be boating from the same general area of the lake. Then there's Blackey Cove... Can't wait.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:55 AM   #29
ThePlut

Default Follow up

Just to follow up, I did give a deposit to Parker and locked in a slip for next summer. Still a little nervous about the bridge clearance, hopefully we don't get another drenching this spring...

Thanks for all the pointers!

I did get on the waiting list at West Alton, but they're really expensive, especially with requiring winter storage there to guarantee slips... The price difference between Parkers and WAM more than covers my 1 week rental of a place on the lake, and then some...

Can't wait for spring now!

...Jim