Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Tropical Storm Nicole remnants

Remnants of Tropical Storm Nicole are making their way up the east coast this afternoon and will affect New England tomorrow. There is a high wind watch in effect for most of southern New England and part of southern New Hampshire, where wind gusts may be around 60 mph. I wouldn't be surprised to see it extended further north as the storm nears.

A flood watch is now in effect for all of New Hampshire for amounts of 1.5 to 3 inches, with greatest amounts near the Vermont border and lightest near the Maine border.

Tropical remnants have been known to spawn tornadoes. In 2004, tropical storm remnants spawned a twister over Meredith that became a waterspout over Meredith Bay. Any tornado that forms in this kind of "tropical deluge" atmosphere will likely be rain-wrapped and therefore hidden to anyone standing at a safe distance.

Pay attention to weather forecasts as this weather event unfolds.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Blue Thunder (09-29-2010), Gatto Nero (09-29-2010), Sunrise Point (09-29-2010), trfour (09-29-2010)
Old 09-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
jess1234

Default Storm

If anyone is in the area of Rattlesnake Island, I've got a boat on a mooring and would love to know if canvas prop rod is up or down.

The address is 442 Rattlesnake Island, and we face Gunstock Ski Area.

Address number is on dock and I also have a boat on a lift.

Thanks to anyone who can reply
jess1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default wish timing was different

I know a many hate to here it and we do need the rain but I wish it would come on the weekends. It's a scramble for us painters and outdoor workers to complete those last few homes before the cold weather sets in.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
CanisLupusArctos

Belmont Resident, this time of year is always a toss-up for weather. The seasons will battle it out until the incoming winter season wins. As they go back and forth we'll have warm spells ("Indian summer") followed by cold spells. October starts tomorrow. Several Octobers in the past decade have brought us the first snowfall of the season.

We are expecting the first sub-freezing weather of the new season to begin as soon as this tropical stuff moves through here. On the weathermap at this moment is a cold front, to our west. That's the leading edge of the cold air mass moving at us from the west. The remnants of "Nicole" are northbound along the I-95 states.

Nicole first, then things chill off. Perhaps frozen puddles on Sunday and Monday morning.

The remnants of Nicole are focusing on areas just to our west -- Vermont and New York state. That is where the heaviest rain will fall. We will still have heavy rain here, but not as much. Along with the remnants of Nicole there have been tornado watches issued since last night. As the storm moves north, the tornado potential has moved with it.

Currently a tornado watch is posted as far north as New Jersey, while a lesser potential for tornadoes exists as far north as Connecticut and Rhode Island. This will change as the weather moves north.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Winni-Retired

Default I am here in NC

I am here today in North Topsail Island NC between Wilmington and Jacksonville NC.

Flew down yesterday afternoon. a horrible bumpy flight ..

Had a windy / rainy night.

They have received over 13 inches of rain here since sunday and right now at 12:30 PM it's heavy .. heavy rain and strong winds.

The local weather people are saying it's heading to NE tonight / tomorrow

friday down here is forecasted to be sunny and warm
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default What are you smokin?

Frozen puddles? Ya right in November maybe. I've lived in NE all my life and to get frozen puddles you need a damn cold ground. We might get a frost as far south as central NH.
Although your forecast is enlightening it seems to be a far stretch from what ALL of the local weather stations are forecasting.
Yes heavy rain for tomorrow with the possibility of winds maybe touching 30-40 in the morning. 2 to as much a 4 inches of rain. Definitely not the natural disaster you make things out to be.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
eillac@dow

God....I hope for frozen puddles!

Go easy!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
CanisLupusArctos

Belmont Resident, I was not aware that you are a meteorologist.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 04:58 AM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default I'm not

Weather forecasting with all the advancements over the years seems to have gotten worse and worse over the years instead of better.
My job depends on the forecast; I'm up at 5 am every day reviewing all of the local stations in an attempt to gather information that will effect how I plan my day during the summer as a painter and during the winter for my snowplowing business. So no I am not a forecaster but a can say first hand I have little or no respect for those who come up with these far fetched predictions that fall way short of what really happens.
The past several years the snowfall predictions have been off almost 100% of the time with many predictions for a hefty amount ending with nothing at all.
As for my comments on the puddles. Earlier in the week there was mention of a frost, now the projected lows for this weekend (as of ½ hour ago) are 36 degrees. A far cry from the wide spread frost predicted earlier in the week. Considering the ground temp being as it is it would take temps down in the 20’s to even get standing water cold enough to freeze.
I constantly have gotten set up on a job only to have rain that was forecast for the afternoon come in several hours early causing me to pack it up and go home..
Yes it's a little frustrating when I'm watching the weather on NECN, channel 4,5,7,8 and 9 that are all calling for sunshine with normal temps thru next Thursday and you mention frozen puddles.
It seems to me like the only time the forecast is actually right is when there is nothing to forecast.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
NHKathy

Default oh boy...

OK, I came to this thread to see new info on the remnants of Nicole (as the title states)....
Anybody have new info? How's it going up there? Is there a lot of flooding? Is there a lot of wind? etc...
CanisLupusArctos: I value your opinion on this stuff, as you definitely seem to know your stuff as I've followed your posts & threads here...
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHKathy For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-01-2010), Newbiesaukee (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHKathy View Post
OK, I came to this thread to see new info on the remnants of Nicole (as the title states)....
Anybody have new info? How's it going up there? Is there a lot of flooding? Is there a lot of wind? etc...
CanisLupusArctos: I value your opinion on this stuff, as you definitely seem to know your stuff as I've followed your posts & threads here...
So far this has been a non-event, but the day ain't over! There have been numerous calls for trees down on wires in towns surrounding the lake, and that's about it. No floods yet, but the radar shows the potential for some heavy downpours this afternoon.

I trust CLA's forecast more than the media, because he's got a proven track record of having a clear understanding of the effects of the lake and mountains. What happens in the rest of the state is usually pretty close to what the media predict. However, what happens in the immediate vicinity of the lake, particularly the northern section, is almost always dead-on what he predicts. Therefore, I'm anxiously awaiting his opinion on what the rest of this storm will bring to us...
AC2717 (10-01-2010), Argie's Wife (10-01-2010), NHKathy (10-01-2010), Resident 2B (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #12
Winni-Retired

Default update from NC

If the lake gets the same strong storm I got yesterday here in NC.... wind / flooding, it will be like it was in southern NE / Rhode Island back in March.

My road to North Topsail Island ( barrier beach ) is under water as well as a lot of local roads. The Onslow county school district closed today ... they never do.

We had such a nice last few days at the lake and expected to have a warm sunny week here at the condo before heading back to NE late next week.

It was a bit cloudy this morning .. but raining now

Like you, I enjoy and value the input from CanisLupusArcto
Winni-Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winni-Retired For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-01-2010), NHKathy (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 AM   #13
tc_mike

Like others, I have also generally found CLA's forecasts (specifically for the big Lake) to be more accurate than the local media outlets.
tc_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tc_mike For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-01-2010), NHKathy (10-01-2010), Resident 2B (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
RI Swamp Yankee

The National Weather Service, as of 9am today, seems to agree with what CLA said yesterday. With forcast of 32 low Sunday night and 32 low Monday night you could see some ice in the puddles as CLA said, jmho.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni-Retired View Post
I am here today in North Topsail Island NC between Wilmington and Jacksonville NC.
They have received over 13 inches of rain here since sunday and right now at 12:30 PM it's heavy .. heavy rain and strong winds.
My sister lives in Wilmington. Last I saw they had received around 21 inches!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #16
Resident 2B

CLA,

I deeply appreciate all you have done and continue to do with weather information for the lakes region and meteorological education, including local knowledge, for all that live in this area.

A wise man once said: If it was easy, anyone could do it! Unfortunately, I have no idea who that was. Too many science classes!

Keep up the great work. Many appreciate it.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (10-04-2010), NHKathy (10-04-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 11:57 PM   #17
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
CLA,

I deeply appreciate all you have done and continue to do with weather information for the lakes region and meteorological education, including local knowledge, for all that live in this area.

R2B

As do I. Thank you.

Eillac@dow
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
CanisLupusArctos

All: THANK YOU. It means more than you know. The last couple months have felt like there's been a hungry alligator in every pathway. I turned to weather forecasting as a relaxation thing. It can be; especially on this forum, which is a place where those of us who've been around a couple years or more are all familiar with each other. Or as the 'Cheers' theme said, "Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name..." But this time BR's response reminded me that criticism and possibly getting it wrong are part of the meteorology game, and I remembered that the old-fashioned way of relaxing is face-to-face, as portrayed in the Cheers show. So, I shut the computer off and spent time with people in-person. When the Nicole remnants passed, I enjoyed that incredible weather weekend with friends I haven't seen in a while: apple picking, then enjoying some apple crisp while catching up with each other's lives on the dock, in the sun. Now I have to thank BR for that.

As for the remnants of Nicole, it was, as others have mentioned here, a disaster of a storm. Where she hit, she hit hard. She just didn't hit east of I-93 very hard. Oh well. That's meteorology.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CanisLupusArctos For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (10-06-2010), NHKathy (10-15-2010), Pepper (10-09-2010), trfour (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
Resident 2B

CLA,

Glad you had the break and that you enjoyed it.

I hope this means that you are back! I see the updates have been appearing on your great web site and facebook blog.

Winter is coming and you are the local expert on winter up here, in my opinion.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (10-06-2010)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
CLA,

Glad you had the break and that you enjoyed it.

I hope this means that you are back!

R2B
Yup! With fine print. Lately new endeavors in firefighting and EMS have been stealing my attention away. Also, as you noticed, the new version of the WeatherCam site has more info available -- that project has stolen my attention away as well.