Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs up Winnipesaukee Water Ski Racing

Saturday, Aug 14 at 11 AM, Brad Thompson, Gretchen Swartzelder and Tup Goodhue will be sharing their experience about water ski racing in the late '60s early 70's on lake Winnipesaukee. The presentation will be held at the Winnipesaukee Museum on Rte 3 in the Weirs.

Photographs and newspaper clippings will be available for browsing.

This will be back memories for me. As I was very active as a spotter in a number of the boats in the races.

Lake Winnipesaukee had a rich heritage of racing. I would like to digitize the photos and newspaper clippings to include into the Winnipesaukee Forum vast history base.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default harmonica

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Saturday, Aug 14 at 11 AM, Brad Thompson, Gretchen Swartzelder and Tup Goodhue will be sharing their experience about water ski racing in the late '60s early 70's on lake Winnipesaukee. The presentation will be held at the Winnipesaukee Museum on Rte 3 in the Weirs.

This will be back memories for me. As I was very active as a spotter in a number of the boats in the races.

Lake Winnipesaukee had a rich heritage of racing. I would like to digitize the photos and newspaper clippings to include into the Winnipesaukee Forum vast history base.
Tup is quite a musician as well. We just heard him playing at Buckey's Thursday evening!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Meredith lady

Default Tup Goodhue

When I got married in 1982, my husband worked for Tup Goodhue. We were driving to Florida for our honeymoon and got about half way there and the smell in our car was NASTY. Tup had put dead fish under our hood and the more South we traveled the worse it got. He is a great guy, a talented "harp" player, and has been a friend of mine for 30 years.
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
weim2

Wink Best Woman Skier

Quote:

So I would bet that my sister in law was the best woman skier in those days, from Alton.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Revival

We have talked about reviving the races. So that our grandchildren could experience the thrill amd camaderie that this get together had created. But current law will prevent the practice needed to get ready for the actual race. A Winnisquam Ski and Boat Club could revive.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Quote:
But current law will prevent the practice needed to get ready for the actual race.
A Winnipesaukee water ski event would be an excellent event....hopefully with one of the water skiing human pyramids with about 12 skiers. And, the current 45-30 mph law does definately include a provision for organized races and events that meet the approval of the Marine Patrol to be exempt from the speed limits. It's in about two sentences down at the bottom of the law, or something! Going 40-mph should be enough for barefooting on a calm day, if you have big feet.