Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default Battery vs. Propane Ice Augers

Does anyone have any experience with either a propane or battery powered ice auger? Is one better than the other? Any problems with generating enough torque to not get stuck while drilling? On-line reviews seem to be split 50/50, based on personal preference.

When I was young, single, and fished a lot, I had a gas-powered ice auger, which was a beast. I was away from ice fishing for a good 10+ years while my kids were young, but now that my son is mid-teens and is interested in it, I am back at it again. I want to get a power auger, but do not want to go the gas route, due to the weight, smell, noise, etc. I also do not need a beast of an auger, as I will only be drilling a few holes per weekend.

Appreciate any first-hand experience anyone might have with either propane or battery augers.

Thanks.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts

I have experience with both and currently have a Jiffy propane auger and am very pleased with it and wouldn't change it.

If you don't want the weight as your post says then go with the battery auger, especially if your only drilling few holes every weekend. They have come a long ways since I had mine, batteries are much better and the auger themselves are more dependable. My biggest issue with them at that time was when something did go wrong you couldn't get parts or have them serviced. I think that has changed for the better over the last few years.

Dan
MeredithMan (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
MeredithMan

Default Thanks for the advice on weight...

Thanks, ishoot, for the advice on weight. That is a concern for me, as I do not have a 4 wheeler or snowmobile....I play donkey, (some even call me an "ass", but that is another story...), and pull the gear behind me in an Otter utility sled.

Thanks.

MM
Old 12-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
fatlazyless

http://nh.craigslist.org/spo/4800921004.html at $40 that is a pricey item considering a new similar auger at Walmart goes for $47.99. To me a fair craigslist price would be one half of the new price, or $24. And, no propane, no battery, and no gasoline to deal with is a big plus! Believe it cuts a five inch diameter hole ...... I have a similar one and it works very well and can be kept sharp with a flat file.....even through ice 18" thick.......pure muscle power! This weighs about 8 1/2-lbs which is 1 1/2-lbs less than a ten-lb dumbell.

Hey Ishoot308......isn't your propane auger a big substantial auger that is mechanically attached to a Kawasaki Mule or some vehicle like that?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey Ishoot308......isn't your propane auger a big substantial auger that is mechanically attached to a Kawasaki Mule or some vehicle like that?
Yes, it's mounted on the back of a Polaris Ranger, that's why I don't mind the weight!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
ericnh

Default Propane the way to go

I did a lot of research on these and I spoke to a salesperson familiar with augers, actually owned the Jiffy propane auger. The benefit of propane:
1. No gas mixture
2. No bad gas - carb problems
3. Less smoke
4. More torque - can use smaller motor (Eskimo brand)
5. Lighter

He said propane is the way to go!
Eskimo made their motor specifically for propane vs Jiffy.
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:32 AM   #7
ericnh

Default Electric vs Propane

The electric augers are good for at least 20 holes on a charge.... I just worry about the batteries and cost to replace in 5 years....
ericnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnh View Post
The electric augers are good for at least 20 holes on a charge.... I just worry about the batteries and cost to replace in 5 years....
Some of the new electrics will drill 100 holes through 3' of ice on one charge, like this one. http://www.icegator.com/

Mine was similar to this just had a different battery and it was good for 40 - 50 holes through 2' of ice on a single charge.

Lithium Ion batteries are the only way to go however in cold weather. Wouldn't buy one unless it had a "lion" battery.

Dan
Old 12-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #9
PaugusBayFireFighter

I don't know if you've seen this before. Since you're talking augers I thought you'd find this interesting.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c26_1418755245
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
I don't know if you've seen this before. Since you're talking augers I thought you'd find this interesting.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c26_1418755245
That is really cool, but many times my snowmobile can have it tough traveling on the lake, I don't think those little wheels will get you too far unless you are on a plowed area. Still cool though.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Default ..... ye olde hand powered ice auger....ayuh!

Possibly, you could go grab this one for $24 in Meredith http://nh.craigslist.org/spo/4800921004.html and used it to drill thousands of holes for the next 47-years, run on muscle power only ....and just to resharpen it occaisionally .....a 5" diameter hole....capable of drilling through 18" of hard ice in about three minutes.....an easy drill use..... easy to keep sharp! ....and weighing in at just 8 1/2-lbs.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
HomeWood

I've used an Ion auger before. It is an awesome unit. It's super light, cuts fast, and will last all day with no problem. I have a 25 year old Jiffy that keeps going, as finicky as it can be. The Ion is around $500, so it's a hard trigger to pull but that's what I'm getting when the time comes.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
MeredithMan

Default Bought the Ion Battery Auger!

So just to bring this thread that I began last month full circle, I decided to go with the Ion Battery Auger. Tried it out for the first time yesterday...great machine! Lightweight, quiet, and cuts super fast. I thought that there might be an issue with it not having enough torque and getting stuck as it cut, but no way. Now if I could just catch a fish....!!

MM