Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default How Does Your Garden Grow-2010

After the last several years of horrible growing seasons here in the Lakes Region I came close to throwing in the towel.

But, I really like having a garden, so I'm giving it another try. So far, (fingers crossed) it's looking good.

Also decided to try those "Topsy Turvy" planters. To really test them out I put in a new raised bed garden in the part of the yard that get the most sun. (About 6-7 hours from 11am to 6pm) Too many big pines for a true "full day" of sun.

Name:  Garden 2010  5.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  161.8 KB

What I did with these "hanging planters" is a test. I planted 5 types of tomatoes, roma, early girl, better boy, grape and cherry, I put them in both the hangers and in the ground. Same soil, same sun... I'm looking forward to see which method works out better. So far, the hangers are a little leggy, but seem to have set a slightly greater number of buds.

The other garden is in the same spot as always and I've got the usual peas, beans, squash and cukes.

Name:  Garden 2010  3.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  139.3 KB

How is your garden growing?

Last edited by SteveA; 06-18-2010 at 07:45 AM.
SteveA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveA For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-18-2010)
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
How is your garden growing?
Unless you started with larger starter plants than I did, my garden's not going as well as yours! The only problem I've had is I started cukes from seeds but something is continually eating the young plants. I think the culprit is slugs so currently I'm beering them to death.

I made my own upside down tomatoes in 5 qt. painters buckets and they are doing just OK. My father "helped" me water the garden one day and really put it to the upside downers. In a closed system like that they don't need much water and that was too much. They're still drying out.

Potatoes, squash, bush beans, and in ground tomatoes are looking good.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default I did start with ...

... some bigger plants. The early girls are the biggest, I bought those first and started them early.

Before I built the support you see in the picture for the TT hangers I had the first few hanging on plant hooks on the sunny side of the garage and they got off to a very fast start.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
phoenix

much better than the last two years. We have had lettuce and onion tops tomatoes growing well. Strange was I planted sunflowers, they got up then one morning there were little holes evry six inches and all the seedlings were gone but two. I think it was the chipmonks. Other than that cukes, beans squash etc all seem to be doing well. this heat will help
Old 06-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
TOAD

Rabbits are getting real fat off of mine!
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Beginning to show some promise, time will tell.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I think it was the chipmonks.
I tried growing sunflower seeds last year and the chipmunks were having none of that!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
jmen24

Default How Does your Garden Grow

Certainly not like that, great job.

My best laid plans of getting going on the garden this year have not come full circle. Oh well, there is always next year.

Something to do with over 80LF of large stone retaining wall, over a 1000 bricks and 60 or so yards of loam have gotten in the way of my gardening time.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #9
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Update

While, so far so good.

The only problem child so far are the green beans... lot's of growth, all the way over the top of the frame.. but no beans yet. Peas are more than making up for it tho...

Lot's of green tomatoes, cherry and plum doing the best. Peppers just starting to show up.

Look what happens when your ignore your squash for a few days and don't really look under all the leaves!
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I had a huge zucchini that grew too big. I have had about 8 tomatoes. I don't ever remember having tomatoes before cucumbers, but the cukes are not big enough yet. A couple of days and I should have some.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #11
hilltopper

Default Hornworms

Is anybody else battling tomato hornworms this year? This is the third year I've had a garden in this spot and the first year I've seen hornworms. I've only got six large plants spaced far enough apart so my plan of attack has been picking them off as I find them (versus an insecticide/pesticide). Never seen something that's so cool and nasty looking at the same time.