Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
kauriel

Default Where to buy replacement AC

We need to replace our through-the-wall AC. Last time we ordered one online and then picked it up and installed it ourselves but this time we would rather save our sanity and have someone else carry it upstairs, install it, and dispose old air conditioner. Are there any retailers or individuals in Laconia area who can do this for a reasonable price?
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Baron's Major Brand

At one time did installs. Give them a call.

If you are going to replace an ac in the wall, your best bet is the Mitsubushi split system. On the long run it is a no brainer.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Joebon

Or just get an ac that fits the existing sleeve. Then you just have to pull out the old one and slide in the new one.
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:08 PM   #4
kauriel

Thanks. We wanted to do a mini-split but condo association doesn't allow them. I called Baron's prior to posting and it was going to be around $200 for installation and my sanity isn't worth quite that much.

It probably only took an hour to unpack and swap the other one but it was the longest hour of my life and almost ended our marriage so I figured I'd see if there was an easier solution for this time
Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
Thanks. We wanted to do a mini-split but condo association doesn't allow them. I called Baron's prior to posting and it was going to be around $200 for installation and my sanity isn't worth quite that much.

It probably only took an hour to unpack and swap the other one but it was the longest hour of my life and almost ended our marriage so I figured I'd see if there was an easier solution for this time
For some reason air conditioners seem to weigh more than 16 oz's per lb.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:14 PM   #6
wifi

Quote:
... the longest hour of my life and almost ended our marriage ....
One person install it, at the same time, the other gets to go out to the movies ??
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
dpg

Quote:

haha I love your comment about your marriage sounds like my home when taking on any project. The older I get it seems like some things are just worth paying fees no matter what they may be. I'm thinking most fees coincide with the misery of the task at hand. Also don't forget if that covers disposal your saving a whole other headache in itself.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Quote:

My condo association will not allow any improvements. So a number of owners already went ahead and install the system. What is the condo association is going to do? Tell the owners to remove the system? Not going to happen as a dozen of them are already installed.

Same as the HE boilers. They need to be vented sideways out of the side of the unit. Condo association insist they use existing chimney. End result the chimneys 'rotted' out due to condensation etc. Costing the condo association big bucks to repair. In the most recent newsletter, the board decided to allow the new exhaust pipes. A bit late don't you think?

I would just go ahead and install the split. You would be amaze how it 'snowballs'.

Association rules are way behind the times as far as technology in home improvements.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #9
4Fun

Quote:

We asked to install a minisplit as well and were denied. It's funny how they prefer to have an extremely noisy wall unit going instead of a virtually silent Mitsu split.

Condo board just does not understand.... Freidrich makes a DIY mini split you can connect yourself. I have been thinking of putting one of those in and just passing the lines through the AC sleeve. No modifications to the condo are needed. If they complain too much you can just pull it out.
I am 99% convinced no one will say anyting.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:13 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
.... Freidrich makes a DIY mini split you can connect yourself. .
Do you have a link to that? I can't find anything on their website and really only looked because I'm trying to figure out how you can have a DYI split. Everything would have to be connected at the factory which doesn't sound feasable.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:01 PM   #11
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Do you have a link to that? I can't find anything on their website and really only looked because I'm trying to figure out how you can have a DYI split. Everything would have to be connected at the factory which doesn't sound feasable.
http://www.friedrich.com/products/re...specifications

It's the Breeze models from Freidrich. I have seen mixed reviews on the net. They have a special quick connect for the line set. I bet it is not as good as the Mitsu units I have at home. Those are great....
Old 05-29-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
SIKSUKR

Interesting. I had never heard of a dyi setup. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
kauriel

We decided to just order a replacement online and will try installing ourselves. Fingers crossed it goes better than the last one replaced!
Old 06-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #14
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Interesting. I had never heard of a dyi setup. Thanks.
They say they have a special quick connect for the lines. They must precharge the line set as well and not lose any freon during the connection.

I have also read the line set is a one time connection and you ca not change the length so if you move it you need a recharge I imagine.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #15
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
They say they have a special quick connect for the lines. They must precharge the line set as well and not lose any freon during the connection.

I have also read the line set is a one time connection and you ca not change the length so if you move it you need a recharge I imagine.
Absolutely. I have had about 20 heat pumps installed in my building. All have very different line lengths. There is a chart to show how much more refrigerent needs to be added based on the length of the lines. Then they are checked and maybe charged more depending on what the gauges read.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #16
BroadHopper

Default Friedrich

I believe Baron's Major Brands sells them. I bought an window A/C 14 years ago. Still working but it is noisy compared to the latest models.