Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts
Default Kayak Ideas

Over the years, we've had power boats, sailboats and canoe's......but never a kayak and we're thinking of taking the plunge and buying a couple if we can find a good deal.
We'd appreciate any tips from you experienced kayakers out there.
We won't be doing anything extreme, just lake, pond and flat river cruising but we'd also like enough stability to use them in Florida in fairly small surf.
A friend has a couple of 12' Kestrels and he loves them. Says they are stable, forgiving, track well and very light weight.
Any suggestions??
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
fltsimguy

I have had a 14' Wilderness Systems Pungo model for years and absolutely love it. The hull and durability are very good, but what sets their boats apart are their seats. It's like sitting in a lazy boy. I've used friends boats in the past and I'm always amazed at how cheap and uncomfortable other brands are.

If I had to do it over again, I would probably get a 12' instead of a 14'. Mine tracks like a dream, but isn't very maneuverable and is tough to move around by yourself. The 12' is a much better balance.
fltsimguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Guy

Some physics to consider.

The longer the kayak the easier it is to go straight.

The shorter the kayak the easier it is to turn.

The broader it is the harder it is to tip.

The narrower it is the less water has to be moved for you to glide through.

So long and narrow cuts a smaller hole in the water.

The weight of the paddler and kayak have to be displaced in an equal weight of water. Think about what the shape is going to be below the water line when considering the shape you want. We are on the broads so we were more concerned with stability and wave tolerance. Also bright colors to make visibility easier as we have been surprised by a dark green kayak in our boat.

There are many other considerations and I have bought a few for the family, but since I have never actually sat in a Kayak in my life, nor do I ever plan to see what happens, I think I will quit before I get in over my head. (pun intended)

RG adds...We have two Perception Brand Kayaks. One is rated for about 200 ish pounds and one is rated for 300 pounds. Both 12 feet long. RG says that she and everyone else much prefers the smaller rated one. She is not sure why but feels very tippy in the higher rated boat. (The displacement issue mentioned above has her sitting higher in the water due to the bigger cross section)
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Two dobys

I have a Necky from the Canoe King in Ossipee, nice boat with rudder and adjustable seat. This Kayak has a partial v-bottom and tracks great. I have had this 7 or 8 years and its still in great shape. Also have a Old Town Otter which is flat bottom, also no problems. This Otter is easier to get in and out of also!
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Lakepilot

I've got a 16' Wilderness that is very fast, but harder to turn then a short one. My wife has a 9' Hobi that is a peddle kayak. You can remove the peddles and paddle it like a normal kayak. She likes it because she can peddle and keep her arms free to use her camera. She also has more lower body strength then upper body. It steers with a rudder.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
fatlazyless

www.wildmeadowcanoes.com/kayaks.html will rent you a kayak to use in Center Harbor, right out the store's back yard, for $30 for 4-hours plus they have demo days plus Wild Meadow is a very friendly operation and it's always good to paddle a kayak for its' paddle-ability before you actually buy it.

Fishing from a kayak works pretty good for either fly fishing or spinning rod. For about five bucks any kayak can be turned into a fishing machine. All it needs is a trip to the hardware store for two plastic doo-hickeys that get used to secure either the fishing rod or the paddle, so one can be secured when the other is in use. Paddles will float but fishing rods do not, and it's not too good to watch a favorite fishing rod slide off a kayak into the depths. By using a very small plastic rope cleat with a short length of line at one end, and a U-shaped paddle clip at the other you can attach them with scews and washers-nuts to the top of the kayak so they can secure either a paddle or a fishing pole. The general idea being that one will be secured while the other is in use. Get a pfd with a few pockets for fishing stuff and you are good-to-go for turning just about any kayak into a fish-yak. As far as I know, most all fishing rods and reels will definitely sink!

Fish like to travel in schools, and kayak fishing is so quiet that you can actually hear the fish engaged in educational conversations with their fish teacher before you cast a line in their classroom's direction! So kayak fishing can be very educational!

www.freedomhawkkayaks.com for super-duper Florida Keys, stand-up fishing kayaks and go catch a Florida alligator or a great white shark from a kayak!

Lake Winnipesaukee kayak fishing at its' best: it's 8:00-pm in the first week of August and the sun is slowly going lower into the west; you are out floating on the swells on Lake Winnipesaukee with your kayak, flyrod, and a half cold 24-oz can of Colt-45 malt liquor hidden away in a brown paper bag as you watch the smile of the great spirit getting brighter & brighter as the sun starts to glow bigger & bigger into the wide watery sunset....a completely unique experience!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-09-2011 at 06:49 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
NH_boater

Default agree

I agree with all but the Colt. During the season I fly fish out of my kayak nearly everyday. It seems to work really well for fly fishing because of the quite, peaceful nature of fly fishing. Casting so low takes a bit of practice but it comes. I don't get the same distance casting, seated in a kayak below the water's surface but then again, I can quietly paddle close to my intended fishing spots anyway.

I have caught some larger bass and pike that make landing them a bit of a challenge in a kayak (it seems that you really need at least one more hand), but hey, that's the point isn't it? You can easily fish the surface and sub-surface with a floating line, or go deep with a sinking line.

Imagine, no one else around, no other boats, you're bobbing along at 6 am on a cool, foggy, calm Wednesday morning and a grandpa trout violently takes your dry fly off the rippled lake's surface after a perfectly executed fifty foot cast over some boils, fantastic. As you pull him in, he gets close and sees your landing net, and he quickly breaks off your line and gets away because the wind knots made your 4x leader way too weak and you were too lazy to cut if off and put on a fresh, strong leader. That's OK because you were going to release him anyway, like all catches, and you'll be back tomorrow for another try. A few minutes later an old familiar otter swims by you, diving right under your kayak, close enough to tough him and swims up river, same as he does every morning. He looks to me like he should be called Jim.

A good day on the lake.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Actually, we won't be using them for fishing, just cruising and sightseeing, but all your tips are appreciated. Good call from RattlesnakeGuy about choosing the right color.......makes sense to stay visible out there.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #9
NH_boater

Default Kayaks

Shorter, wider kayaks are generally more steady side-to-side, maybe more comfortable for newbies. These are often used for fishing for this purpose. Longer, narrow kayaks are easier to paddle long distances and glide along better with less energy, but could be less laterally stable. Longer kayaks also tend to track better, meaning going in straight lines rather than zig zagging.

My 9 footer (fishing) fits nicely in the back of my truck without the bother of a kayak rack. These makes single-person launching and transporting very easy. A 14 footer would not transport quite as easy. This could be important if you want to drop it in and explore in various locations around the lake.

Also, there are often good deals on craigslist for used kayaks. May have a few scratches or marks but that would not bother me if it is half the price of new.

Hope this helps.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Pricestavern

Default Kayaks

My wife and I both have 14' Old Towne Nantuckets. The model is no longer made, but we love them. We paddle in lakes and harbors and out on Long Island Sound. Very stable, very dry.

A few things to consider:

You mentioned small surf in Florida - I'd go with a longer, broader kayak for stability. They are harder to turn (though not impossible) so get a rudder.

Kayaks come in various materials with corresonding weights and costs. Both of these aspects need to be considered when choosing.

Above all, after you've decided on the kayak you want - take it for a test paddle. Is it comforatable? Does it track straight (sometimes the manufacturing or the storage process can produce a slightly bent keel)? I know we thought we'd want a two-person kayak, but 5 minutes in it together proved we needed each our own!

We also have 2 sit-on-tops that we keep at the cabin in NH. They fit on the bow of our boat so we can take them all over the lake, drop anchor and explore. The sit-on-top layout means easy in/out from boat/water to kayak.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Newbiesaukee

We have two 12' Wilderness Pongos and love them. A few years ago my wife was having back issues and we got a tandem Native 14(or 15) foot kayak. In general, two is better than 1 unless you feel that it is likely that you will need the tandem. The tandem is heavier and "bulkier" to paddle. Both the Wilderness and the Native have very comfortable and adjustable seats which are very nice for those of us who are a little older.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
jrc

I have a Wilderness Tarpon 12, very good for just putting around. It's a sit on top, which means reboarding in deep water is easier. It also very stable. I've taken some very big wakes without any fear of tipping over. Only downside is that it is heavy.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default 239-dollar kayak

For 239-dollars, the Gilford Wal-Mart has a couple of dark blue 10' Aqua Master kayaks complete with flotation, foot stops, storage compartment, kayak paddle, and a large paddler's opening with a backrest similar to a Pungo kayak. Just picture yourself paddling off into that Winnipesaukee sunset with no insurance, registration, gasoline, engine, or trailer needed. Just a fishing license is needed and June 4 is the yearly New Hampshire free fishing day when you can legally go fishing without a $35 (annual resident) license.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Great tips and much appreciated.I've googled up reviews on many of them and find that Wilderness Systems,Kestrel (I've owned Kestrel sailboats...same company,maybe?) and Hurricane Phoenix seem to be favorites.I think,when the weather gets better (if it ever does) we'll do some test drives and then pull the trigger on a couple.