Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
CrownRay

Default What ever Happened to the Boat Races?

I remember years ago, the off-shore racing boats in the Broads. That was awesome! Why don't they come around anymore?

You know what would be REALLY cool? The Red-Bull air races...over the Broads!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
PaulT

I would love to see those races Ray!!

What ever happened to the water skiing races around the lake?

My wife's family all grew up on Winni & some of her crazy uncles used to compete in that race
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I would absolutely love to see the Hydroplane races come to Winni like they had at the Moore Dam in Littleton years ago. Not sure why they stopped at the Moore Dam as it brought in a huge amount of spectators!! The Lakes Region could certainly use the tourism and money it would generate!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
I remember years ago, the off-shore racing boats in the Broads. That was awesome! Why don't they come around anymore?

You know what would be REALLY cool? The Red-Bull air races...over the Broads!
I loved that too. As I recall, it was a money issue. They couldn't get sponsors.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
trfour

Thumbs up Those Were Some Days...

tis is correct. Leading up to the demise of offshore boat racing here on Lake Winnipesaukee was an economic downturn that began earlier. 2002-2003

Mal-investment in internet companies during the years before that slump.

A lot of investors and businessmen invested a lot of money and hired a lot of people for various internet companies. But many of these companies didn't have good business models. And they never made any profits.

A lot of investors lost a lot of money. And they had to fire quite a few technology workers they've hired earlier. Which increased the unemployment rate and caused the economic slump = no money = no sponsors. As I recall, the last Offshore Boat races took place here on The Lake in 2003...

I left the camp early on a Saturday morning in 2002 to get a good viewing spot out in the Broads to watch the qualifying for Sunday's Races. Oh and yes, we got a great viewing spot, except my camera was back at the camp! ...
And I'm still kicking my_ _ _ _ for that one!
Well, the show went on and it was exciting and enjoyable to watch., what-with all the chase helicopters in close pursuit with dive teams on board, should anyone lose an out-drive and stuff the nose. As I also recall, I never heard of an accident out there during any of the races.
I had to go to an Nascar race the next day, at NHMS and I wasn't about to miss that.

I did manage to get some photos of some of the competition the following year in 2003 in front of the old Fitzgerold Motorsports complex on Union Ave.

Pic#1. Fire and Ice

Pic#2. Fire and Ice 2

Pic#3. Gladiator

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 04-12-2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Add to post
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
meredith weekender (04-13-2011), Resident 2B (04-12-2011), welchislandman (04-12-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Pineedles

Cool Pictures trfour!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Those races were wicked awesome and hopefully some type of race venue will come back. You know the 45-30-mph speed limits law allows for racing events. Just have to get it approved by the Marine Patrol and it's off to the races. A weekly racing event out on the Broads every Sunday morning, from nine till noon, would be a happening event!

Instead of heading off to church, you could head off to the Lake Winni Sunday morning, motorboat race area! Vvvvrrrrrooommmmm....ladies & gents.....the time is now 9-am so it is time for the race to begin! Sponsored in part by some business with some money such as Coca Cola or Exxon Gasoline or Chase Credit Cards or Marlboro Cigarettes or Budweiser Beer or some similar mega huge, consumer product company with a gigundic advertising budget! These companies spend so much on advertising that they would not even notice the $5000 each or so that it could take. Just some bright orange marker buoys, a few volunteer motorboats, and a Marine Patrol paid detail would probably be enough to create a weekly racing venue.

Every Wednesday evening and Sunday morning, all summer long, the www.lwsa.org runs organized sailiboat races based out of Smith Cove in Gilford, so why not something similar on the broads based out of someplace that is doable.

What's not to like about that.......seriously!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-13-2011 at 10:38 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Cool Pictures trfour!

Thanks Pineedles! We so enjoy our Great Lakes Region!
Although some of us can be very critical of New Hampshire State Government from time to time, they are working and making progress ( however sometimes painfully slow to some of us ) I have seen an big improvement over the many years here ( on their part ) to align this great State Of New Hampshire for the future! Investment, Economical Growth, prosperity to and for all! Isn't this what State and local Government ( should be on the same page ) ?

Now, moving on to address FLL's and ( very enthusiastic response to this topic ), [ quote] " A weekly racing event out on the Broads every Sunday morning would be a happening event!"...
In an awesome economic situation, some loose sight of just how much money that it takes to put a show like this together. Transportation, crews, helicopters, boats, licencing, liability insurance, logistics, food, food, and did I mention Sponsorship, and many other considerations.

NasCar has two races at NHMS here per year in Loud'on NH ( makes it much louder ), and have the National fallowing and sponsorship, fan support, and sell out most of the races that have been held here over many years. I think they hold a record for sellouts.

So's not to take up any more space out here, I think that most get my drift.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
fatlazyless

No doubt a big race event takes a lot to get it done, but what I had in mind just a weekly get together of local lake boaters who want to participate in an informal race venue. Maybe that could be the base for creating one or two bigger race events during the summer. That's pretty much how it works for the sailboaters at the www.lwsa.org weekly races. Just some local boats that show up at a given time each week, and one or two major race events for the summer. It wouldn't be like Nascar, probably just like a group a local fast boaters who want a time slot to get together.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
trfour

Smile How Come You Never Said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
No doubt a big race event takes a lot to get it done, but what I had in mind just a weekly get together of local lake boaters who want to participate in an informal race venue. Maybe that could be the base for creating one or two bigger race events during the summer. That's pretty much how it works for the sailboaters at the www.lwsa.org weekly races. Just some local boats that show up at a given time each week, and one or two major race events for the summer. It wouldn't be like Nascar, probably just like a group a local fast boaters who want a time slot to get together.
Hey FLL, Lets get it on! I'll meet you and you're carved out oak, with the paper sails out in the Broads any time. Just bring your egg beater too!

T
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulT View Post
I would love to see those races Ray!!

What ever happened to the water skiing races around the lake?

My wife's family all grew up on Winni & some of her crazy uncles used to compete in that race
My neighbor at the lake was a winner one year...it was grueling.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
6meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRay View Post
I believe that it has something to do with the kayakers that want to ban internal combustion engines on the lake. Watching 42' Fountians race at 45mph, really doesn't get the juices flowing.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default 1997

Great post!

I went looking for any video of the offshore races. Couldn't find any any.
There must be some video out there someplace.

I did find this...

http://www.rsacomputer.com/Pennzoil/...ckup/recap.htm

I remember watching from Lake Shore Park, amazing to see the chase helicopters directly over the top of the boats with the guy with the video camera strapped on the skids of the helicopter.

What an amazing event.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
winniboy

Default races

i miss it just as much as the next person. "motor cycle weekend" was extended to motor cycle week. this change took up another weekend of which was the weekend of the boat races. when that happened there wasn't enough interest in the boat races because of the large events in the weirs. id love to see it come back to but i can promise setting up "random events" is not the way..whats MP gonna say when they see 7 boats going 60+ all within 400 feet of eachother?
winniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Great post!

I went looking for any video of the offshore races. Couldn't find any any.
There must be some video out there someplace.

I did find this...

http://www.rsacomputer.com/Pennzoil/...ckup/recap.htm

I remember watching from Lake Shore Park, amazing to see the chase helicopters directly over the top of the boats with the guy with the video camera strapped on the skids of the helicopter.

What an amazing event.
I remember the helicopters too. Wasn't one of them ESPN? And I think there was another news one????
tis is offline   Reply With Quote