Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Hovercraft or Airboat

What benefit does a hovercraft have over an airboat?? I would think an airboat would pretty much do anything a hovercraft can and probably requires less maintenance and maybe a lot more stable?? Is there a cost difference?

Just curious about the differences between the two.

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
codeman671

Having done extensive research on both before going into an airboat I think that airboats are the way to go for a number of reasons.

1. very quick learning curve to run one efficiently
2. greater payloads and more passengers are possible
3. no bags to rip
4. brakes are possible
5. many run standard automobile motors- easy to maintain
6. no problem on inclines
7. easy to transition between surfaces

I could go on and on. I loved my 1000 Islands Airboat. It is mentioned and pictured on the forums numerous times and was featured in Airboating Magazine.

As far as price, you can obtain a small hovercraft new in the $20-30k range but that wont allow you to haul much or carry many passengers. For a winter equipped airboat you are going to be looking in the $30-40k range for your standard "Florida style" boat and they go up from there. Today's equivalent of mine is about $60-65k. This gets you a loaded boat that will go anywhere and get you there safely. Fast too!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-10-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Check It Out!

Codeman;

Check this thing out!!... http://www.hovercraft.com/content/in...x&cPath=1_93_2

Check out the video of it under the "gallery" page. Talk about a toy you could have some serious fun with!!

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
cowisl

We have had several hovercrafts. they are great vehicles to use on land, water, ice and snow. And they are much cheaper than you would think they are. Our latest one is an aerocruiser two seater.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Codeman;

Check this thing out!!... http://www.hovercraft.com/content/in...x&cPath=1_93_2

Check out the video of it under the "gallery" page. Talk about a toy you could have some serious fun with!!

Dan
Looks pretty wild. Also like an accident waiting to happen...

I looked around online and found a 1000 Islands like my old one, used for $25k. It got me thinking...Then common sense kicked in and realized my wife would kill me if I bought another toy especially when in 3 weeks I wont need it until next winter.

I am taking an airboat ride tomorrow in the ISS airboat to the island to move furniture. We are having our floors refinished next week so that it is done for iceout. I will let you know how I like his setup.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Correct me if I'm wrong but the question was posted asking the what benefit the hover has over the airboat. Are airboats really made to be run on dry land? Maybe hovercraft are not used on dry land anyway because of the dust storm they would create?
Old 04-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but the question was posted asking the what benefit the hover has over the airboat. Are airboats really made to be run on dry land? Maybe hovercraft are not used on dry land anyway because of the dust storm they would create?
you have a 6"-12" hover over objects. This is a main benefit.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Dan's question pertained to the differences between the two. Him and I have spoken before about this offline as well. I dont see anything wrong with my response giving my preference after doing a lot of research into the topic.

A hovercraft's ability to hover over small objects or uneven surfaces is the key. The ride over hard ice must be very smooth compared to the airboats rough ride. Airboats, although could be run on dry land (with a lot of friction) are meant to be boats.
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (04-12-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
cowisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Dan's question pertained to the differences between the two. Him and I have spoken before about this offline as well. I dont see anything wrong with my response giving my preference after doing a lot of research into the topic.

A hovercraft's ability to hover over small objects or uneven surfaces is the key. The ride over hard ice must be very smooth compared to the airboats rough ride. Airboats, although could be run on dry land (with a lot of friction) are meant to be boats.
Hovercrafts on ice are a dream