Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #1
challmec

Default Ragged Island

Good Morning All

We went out on the Lake yesterday and enjoyed the first half of the day on some great water.
On the way back in we stopped at Ragged Island and took a walk around .
Thats when we noticed that all the outbuildings have been leveled with the exception of the restroom.
Does anyone know what the plan is there?
We enjoy the quiet that Ragged offers and was just wondering why things have happened.
Thanks in advance
challmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Camping Sites

The L.R.C.T. tore all the old buildings down over the winter except one which will be used as the "Directors Lodge". They have a scheduled work day on June 26th to clean up the rest of the debris.

The eventual long term plan is to have tent camping sites on the island and one main lodge building.

BTW, they are looking for all the help they can get on work day. If you are interested contact Muriel Robinette: MurielRobinette@neenvirostrategies.com

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 06-11-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Can't Spell!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
challmec

thanks for this info

will do
Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Never Satisfied

Default More info please

Is Ragged Island a public island where anyone can dock at? If so, how big is the dock and how deep is the water around it? I am always looking for new things to do on the lake...

Thanks in advance!
NS
Never Satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
challmec

yes Ragged is open to the public.. The dock can hold a boat in excess of 26 ft. and the water depth is sufficient for any boat ...The rocky area is marked with a red/white marker so getting in and out is not an issue
Very nice area with a clean restroom on the island
Enjoy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to challmec For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (06-16-2011), Dogberry01 (06-16-2011), Never Satisfied (06-16-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Regged Island Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by challmec View Post
yes Ragged is open to the public.. The dock can hold a boat in excess of 26 ft. and the water depth is sufficient for any boat ...The rocky area is marked with a red/white marker so getting in and out is not an issue
Very nice area with a clean restroom on the island
Enjoy
A quote from the Rattlesnake Island thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
That's not 100% true...

They have done a wonderful job with the Ragged island project. The entire island is open to the public. They have a couple public docks, picnic area and walking trails. They have just completed a large demo project on the island where they removed many of the old abandoned and unsafe buildings, They are hoping to eventually have public tent camping sites. They are renovating one of the old beautiful camps so they will eventually have a camp directors lodge there.

They also have a lot of land on Stonedam island which is also open to the public with one dock, walking trails and beach area.

I believe 5 mile island is another one of their acquisitions and is open to the public, though I personally have not stopped by there to check it out.

Yes I am sure there are parcels of land they have that have been shut down to the public and without knowing the circumstance I have no comment except to say that sometimes the public is it's own worst enemy. Ever since Ragged Island has been opened up, they have had massive vandalism issues. I personally have seen the many vandalism issues that occurred there on multiple occasions and its heart wrenching to all the volunteers who gave their time to help make something nice for the PUBLIC. How long can something like this continue before they have no choice but to shut it down??

While I do not completely disagree with you, I just wanted you to realize that there is a some good with LRCT.

Dan
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Never Satisfied (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Never Satisfied

Default Thanks for the info!

Thanks to both challmec and Rattlesnake Gal for the info!! I will put Ragged Island on my short list of new things to do.
Never Satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote