Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
lawn psycho

Default Submarines on lake winnipesaukee?

Has there ever been anyone know to operate a private submarine on the lake? I know UNH has it's submerged research. I'm wondering about a working submarine and if there's any images that would exist.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Only this reference

In the 5th to last paragraph, there is mention of a mini sub. Seems to be from the mid 50's.

http://www.lwhs.us/gilford/diamondisland2.htm

Interesting article anyway... secret government stuff.
lawn psycho (01-01-2011)
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Chris Exley

Default Maybe I will buy one of these and start a sub tour business

http://www.ivccorp.com/tsub.html
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default If I win MegaMillions tonight.... Maybe

Check the pricing on the Tour Sub!

http://www.ivccorp.com/sspricing.html
Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Chris Exley

Default Not too bad

It's only 520,000. Let's get 2!
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
robmac

the used 2002 resort sub looks like the one in the Bahamas as does the backround to the facility you have the dolphin experience at.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
lawn psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Exley View Post
That would be cool. Can you imagine people surprise on the lake when you pull up at periscope depth
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Rattlesnake Guy

Here is a relavent thread
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (01-13-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

And check out this one. Post 33 from Mee-N-Mac is one of the forum classics.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
lawn psycho (01-02-2011), Rattlesnake Gal (01-13-2011), SteveA (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Grant

Is there more information on that EDALHAB project? Never heard of it, and it looks intriguing.

Hammacher Schlemmer has a personal sub for a "paltry" $2 million. It's good to 1,000 feet, so the darkest depths of Winni would pose no problem. With the price of real estate in the region these days, I'm sure there are plenty of folks with the coin to splash one of these suckers. If we spot one while diving, we'll be sure to let you know. And if you see a diver while piloting your H&S personal sub, be sure to maintain a proper distance, yield, and wave.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #11
AllAbourdon

When i was a kid I watched a guy launch a homebuilt submarine at Thurstons.

This would have been some time early 80's.

It was constructed out of a big propane tank with a hatch welded onto the top / middle of it. Rocks hung beneath in a welded wire rack for ballast.

I dont think it actually went completely under water, it was powered by what I believe was a 4 cylinder automobile engine with a prop straight out the back. For cooling it had baseboard radiators run along the outside of the submarine.

It was the maiden voyage and I remember him commenging that he fele the prop and rudder were undersized for it and that it got really hot inside.
AllAbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Rattlesnake Guy...

Thanks for the link to the old post! Very Funny stuff.

PS... since went did we need to be relavent?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
Shore Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Is there more information on that EDALHAB project? Never heard of it, and it looks intriguing.

Hammacher Schlemmer has a personal sub for a "paltry" $2 million. It's good to 1,000 feet, so the darkest depths of Winni would pose no problem. With the price of real estate in the region these days, I'm sure there are plenty of folks with the coin to splash one of these suckers. If we spot one while diving, we'll be sure to let you know. And if you see a diver while piloting your H&S personal sub, be sure to maintain a proper distance, yield, and wave.
LOL. Haven't seen that in the airline catalog
Shore Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
John A. Birdsall

Default submarine

withthe luck I have had, I would or should rename my boat to a SS-!!! as the one I have now sank now three times., and the mighty Puddy-Tat sank so many times (due to a slight leak, and leaving the drain plug open) that I cannot count it. We never used a periscope on it. Just pumps. However the Puddy-Tat never dived when it was moving, only at the mooring.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #15
PapaBarnCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbourdon View Post

It was constructed out of a big propane tank with a hatch welded onto the top / middle of it. Rocks hung beneath in a welded wire rack for ballast.

I dont think it actually went completely under water, it was powered by what I believe was a 4 cylinder automobile engine with a prop straight out the back. For cooling it had baseboard radiators run along the outside of the submarine.

It was the maiden voyage and I remember him commenging that he fele the prop and rudder were undersized for it and that it got really hot inside.
So now I know what "Larry the Cable Guy" did during the 80's..

I always thought that the sight of a submarine surfacing near the Mount whilst she was underway would prove an "interesting" event for the passengers and possibly quite unnerving for the Captain and crew.

Last edited by PapaBarnCat; 05-15-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: rewording
PapaBarnCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #16
Ms Molly McKever

Default submarine in the lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Has there ever been anyone know to operate a private submarine on the lake? I know UNH has it's submerged research. I'm wondering about a working submarine and if there's any images that would exist.
So thats what it was, I tryed to tell my insurance co. I didn't hit any rocks. A submarine must have hit me !!!! It Didn't work
Ms Molly McKever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #17
Rattlesnake Guy

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ight=submarine
Old 06-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
ApS

Default Soundings Magazine Had the "Deep Quest" article last year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbourdon View Post

It was the maiden voyage and I remember him commenting that he felt the prop and rudder were undersized for it and that it got really hot inside.
I'd shared my drawings with a Lake Winnipesaukee neighbor for a submarine built out of rectangular pieces of welded steel plate. It didn't need to go very fast—but it had to be affordable (Designed during high school hours, after we'd bought our lakefront home.)

It was to be powered by a small outboard that was mounted inside—and by using that engine as propulsion, would bring in fresh air through one of the two snorkels: the second snorkel was for exhaust. Water would be excluded using the snorkels of those times, which had a ping-pong ball acting as a one-way valve.

The ballast was to be of rocks, stored beneath the floor. With that large amount of mass, it would have been cooler inside. The paired diving planes were controlled by two handles, operating independently. Vision was by a centrally-located "sail", which was to made from two nested skylights, secured together with fiberglass resin. It would be hinged as a hatch for the Captain's entry—and especially—his exit.

My Mark-II model was similarly designed around a propane tank—like the above submersible.

Of course, it never got built.

But I still have the plans!

One couple is currently living on their dreamboat: he is converting a genuine U.S. Navy submersible into his personal submarine. Why not bring it here? It could be "winterized" by leaving it under the ice.

In recent years, it was purchased by a New York artist, who put it "at sea" for 58 days. This former U. S. Navy submersible was first on the scene of many submerged ships.

The website for the new owner: http://www.ussdeepquest.kk5.org/

And featured in this 1˝ minute video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0Qhj907Bk

...and elsewhere:

Quote:
John answered his cellphone on Monday and said, “Let me call you back later — I’m out on my submarine right now.”

Now, you don’t hear that very often — at least I don’t — and it seemed especially unusual here in cozy Stirling Harbor, a haven for yachts and luxury sailboats.

But there was John, sitting atop and skippering a steel vessel that looked like a big, black beached whale topped with a steering console. The thing had fins like a fish, an intimidating .50-caliber automatic weapon mounted on the front, and an American flag painted on the back along with the submarine’s name, Deep Quest. It looked ready to defend Greenport from the fancy flotilla here."
Deep Quest
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #19
PapaBarnCat

Red face

The one thing that scares me about operating a submersible on/in the lake actually would be surfacing. I'd want a darn good sonar system, so I knew for sure what was on the surface as with my luck, the son of the best liability lawyer on the planet would be waterskiing, and I would manage to "up scope" right at the twenty foot mark of his thirty foot tow rope , or I would surface twenty feet in front of "the Mount" ..
PapaBarnCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
Rattlesnake Guy

Simple. Just release a kayak filled with Styrofoam 30 seconds before you come up. We will all assume we must have not seen it. Just make sure you have the you tube camera running topside.