Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts
Default Dead On The Water This Weekend!

I have been on the lake since Thursday night and have to say it has been really been dead out here boating wise. I thought for sure that today (Saturday) it would get somewhat busy but all day the lake was dead most everywhere we went on the water.

The good news is when we took a ride to to Beans and Greens they were packed and so was Sawyers. Lots of traffic in town and things looked busy for the local stores and restaurants.

Must be gas prices keeping boats off the water because the weather is not all that bad today and yesterday was great!! Sure we had a couple sprinkles late in the day today but certainly nothing to scare boaters away!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Yes it is dead.

Many marinas are adverising slips for rent. In the Weirs area there are many signs for Bike Week rental. Far cry from just a few years ago when no slips can be found and you need to book Bike Week more than a year prior.

Lots of for sale signs. Not only commercial properties, waterfront and condos are for sale everywhere. My grandson was able to find a job today for tomorrow! I can see why the NH hospitality industries hire Carribeans and South Africans to staff their resorts. They are the only ones that will work for less than minimum wage.

I use to rent my waterfront property out during the summer to pay my taxes as I stay home or on the boat. This is the third summer I have not been able to find a renter. I had one NASCAR race crew rent the property during race weekend. They no longer rent a home, they stay on the transporter.

NH hospitality reported three years ago, business was off by as much as 40% and possibly more. Plymouth State University reported hospitality was only up by about 4% last year, while Maine was up 13%. I have not been able to find statistics for VT. Over the winter, state of NH was trying to find ' a brand' to lure tourists. They failed.

I don't expect the economy will be kind and NH to bounce back soon. The state with their increasing revenue taxes such as room and meals tax, increase sport licenses such as fish and game, selling off natural resources like out state forests and parks, and passing laws to prohibit dog and horse races. I can go on and on about other laws and one that may move this thread below. It's not Obama economics. It's us that is destroying the local economy. I guess telling people to stay home is working.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
GTO

Default Friday....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I have been on the lake since Thursday night and have to say it has been really been dead out here boating wise. I thought for sure that today (Saturday) it would get somewhat busy but all day the lake was dead most everywhere we went on the water.

The good news is when we took a ride to to Beans and Greens they were packed and so was Sawyers. Lots of traffic in town and things looked busy for the local stores and restaurants.

Must be gas prices keeping boats off the water because the weather is not all that bad today and yesterday was great!! Sure we had a couple sprinkles late in the day today but certainly nothing to scare boaters away!

Happy Memorial Day weekend!

Dan

Took Friday out of work.. Got the boat in the water in the morning. It was like a summer day minus the boat traffic. Went from Center Harbor over to The Docks in Merideth for lunch. Water was smooth and very little few boats. Merideth Marina has alot of boats on their lot still shrinkwrapped. Either the weather or gas prices are not putting people in a rush for pickups
Old 05-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not a great day in my eyes.

I did have to work today and was on my way home by 215. As I got to Alton, temp was about 67 or 68. It was cloudy and hazy. Checked the weather radar and there was activity south of the Lakes Region heading north and looked like it would be upon us within an hour or two.

Ended up going to the transfer station aka the dump, then to Hannafords (crowded) and Fiddleheads (pretty crowded).

It is early in the year, and I agree that the weather over the last few weeks has probably slowed getting boats in the water. Mine's been in for 3 weeks and we have yet to get out: it was either windy, rainy, cold, windy and rainy, or windy and rainy and cold.

Hopefully tomorrow and Monday will be better days on the lake. Temps are supposed to get up higher. Unfortunately, I will be down in MA doing a few Memorial Day events Sun and Mon, but may get back early enough on Mon. We'll keep a good thought.

Anyway, have a great weekend, I hope the boat traffic picks up, and that all can enjoy the lake.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #5
ApS

Wink We're Spoiled...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I thought for sure that today (Saturday) it would get somewhat busy but all day the lake was dead most everywhere we went on the water.
There were plenty of bass-boats out there, which is normal for late May.

I saw lots of powerboats, which seemed to be heading in just one direction—from storage to "home dock". There were a few pontoon boats "touring" late in the afternoon. Though it was a tad chilly, one tuber was making slow turns with little children aboard their tube.

Sailboats were a "no-show", because there was no wind—all day—to drive them anywhere. Even our dock, where we enjoy most of our days, had no fascination for us on Saturday.

We're spoiled from last season, which was exceptionally sunny.

Let's face it—the weather was coolish, drizzly, a little depressing, and just "yucky" for boating.

There's always tomorrow.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
Rinkerfam

I think that because the kids are still in school and it is a huge weekend for sports (soccer tourneys esp.) that this weekend tends to be quiet compared to the 4th of July and Labor Day. Factor in the weather, economy and fuel prices and I am not surprised by what fellow posters are sharing.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I think a lot of it was the weather. I know we wanted to go out for a ride but don't enjoy going when it is cold and dreary so we didn't go. It seemed like a lot of people were here though.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #8
jrc

Well I'm anchored out right now near rhe Governors Island bridge and it's not dead. Not the Forth of July but a good spring Sunday crowd. It's amazing what a little sunshine will do.

BTW I'm tether to my Blackberry on Verizon and getting about 800Kbps. Not too bad for $20 a month.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
jeffatsquam (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
meredith weekender

Well Meredith Bay is busy this afternoon and traffic in town is backed up.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
gslpro

Default Broads smooth as glass

I am working this weekend, but this was last Wednesday out on the broads. We went out between Sandy and Rattlesnake islands and turned off the motor. Floating around for over two hours, we only saw three boats within sight. It was wonderful, though I hope traffic picks up for the local economy.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I thought it was very busy for this side of the lake today. It seems nice to see all the boats and everybody in swimming.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #12
Lakepilot

It's busy in Wolfeboro! Lot's of sail and power boats out.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslpro View Post
I am working this weekend, but this was last Wednesday out on the broads. We went out between Sandy and Rattlesnake islands and turned off the motor. Floating around for over two hours, we only saw three boats within sight. It was wonderful, though I hope traffic picks up for the local economy.

not smooth as glass today, steady wind and boat chop made for interesting day on the lake.
The sun came out and so did the boats.
Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
gslpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
not smooth as glass today, steady wind and boat chop made for interesting day on the lake.
The sun came out and so did the boats.
ALMOST makes me glad I was working. Heading up to lake on Tuesday morning. One of the things that i like about my schedule is that it puts me up there mostly during the week compared to weekends. Looking forward to the serenity of Wiini's quiet coves....when you can find them.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,940 Times in 1,916 Posts

Yup, amazing the difference a day makes! Boats came out in numbers yesterday and today!! Must have been Saturdays marginal weather that kept everyone home!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
Weekend Pundit

Post Kinda quiet today

I made the trip around the eastern part of the lake earlier today (on four wheels, unfortunately), with stops in Alton Bay, Wolfeboro Bay, Glendale, Smith Cove, and Saunders Bay and traffic on the lake was definitely down from previous years, from what I could see.

I've talked to a number of folks at various marinas over the past few days and they're all saying the same thing: business is down and they have open slips available. I haven't seen it this bad for some time.

Now if I could just get my boat into the water I'd be happy. But I'm still trying to troubleshoot a fuel system problem and I don't want to launch it until I know it's fixed.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #17
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Finished Memorial Day Celebrations

I was busy Sun and Mon with Memorial Day parades and services down in MA, and got home this PM around 130. On the boat by 3 or so, and we were off for a real nice ride.
Alton Bay to Braun Bay, then over by Bear Is, down near Glendale, then back past West Alton and then back to Parker's. Total time on lake was just over 2 hours. Still had quite a few boats out when we started, but noticably less when we ended.
Let the fun begin.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #18
Belmont Resident

Default Broadhopper

Pricing gouging has a lot to do with some of the drop, not the economy. I’ve talked to many a biker who has just plain had enough of the price gouging in the Laconia area when it comes to bike week.
Some have said that Lincoln NH area has become the preferred destination for many who consider it close enough to ride into Laconia and affordable enough to give them more money to spend on having fun.
Also the further north you travel the more appealing the area gets. Laconia isn’t exactly an attractive area anymore; it is more like the city which many are trying to get away from when they get away. Not to mention the constant traffic gridlock from Friday thru Sunday.
Not knowing what your prices are, I am not referring to your rental so please do not take my comments to heart.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,605 Times in 822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Pricing gouging has a lot to do with some of the drop, not the economy. I’ve talked to many a biker who has just plain had enough of the price gouging in the Laconia area when it comes to bike week.
Some have said that Lincoln NH area has become the preferred destination for many who consider it close enough to ride into Laconia and affordable enough to give them more money to spend on having fun.
Also the further north you travel the more appealing the area gets. Laconia isn’t exactly an attractive area anymore; it is more like the city which many are trying to get away from when they get away. Not to mention the constant traffic gridlock from Friday thru Sunday.
Not knowing what your prices are, I am not referring to your rental so please do not take my comments to heart.
Agreed- Bike week has spread out. The Epicenter may still be the Weirs, but Conway and Lincoln attract a lot of riders!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
Phantom

Default Totally Agree -- It was Scary Quiet on the Lake

Just got back from the Lake .... we too were lucky enough to sneek up Thursday night. Friday was an 11 out of 10 on the Lake ---even made it into the water (swimming) and the wife and I totally expected it to be rather quiet - i.e. fewer boaters.

Where we stay looks right down Meredith Bay (at FL#1) and have a "Prime Seat" usually to watch the busy boating traffic ....... with the exception of a small surge in traffic Sunday mid afternoon -- We both commented on how "Scary Quiet" the traffic was and began to debate causes, Certainly not fuel prices (at $3.97 it's not outrageous enough to scare the die hards), Original weather forecast called for a bleak week-end? We seemed to settle on the Economy (jobless) has not yet totally rebounded and it's simply too damned expensive to come up (understandably).
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
GTO

Default quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Just got back from the Lake .... we too were lucky enough to sneek up Thursday night. Friday was an 11 out of 10 on the Lake ---even made it into the water (swimming) and the wife and I totally expected it to be rather quiet - i.e. fewer boaters.

Where we stay looks right down Meredith Bay (at FL#1) and have a "Prime Seat" usually to watch the busy boating traffic ....... with the exception of a small surge in traffic Sunday mid afternoon -- We both commented on how "Scary Quiet" the traffic was and began to debate causes, Certainly not fuel prices (at $3.97 it's not outrageous enough to scare the die hards), Original weather forecast called for a bleak week-end? We seemed to settle on the Economy (jobless) has not yet totally rebounded and it's simply too damned expensive to come up (understandably).
Looking off the dock all weekend, I thought the boat traffic was significantly down. We left the house last night at 7 to head home to Nashua and didn't hit any traffic on the road either.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Boat traffic was indeed down... I also noted docks still hoisted in the air at many properties. I think after last years early start to the season, we are all jumping the gun trying to guess what caused this weekends, down turn in boat traffic.

Although I believe that gas prices certainly have blame. I don't think there the only cause. I know many of my neighbors are just trying to get caught up with projects that they didn't get to early because of the late ice out. I also think as others have stated, kids and school events have an effect. last which is where I believe gas prices come into play... I think some people may have just stayed home given the bad out look on weather.

I think the weathermen are going to play a big role on how the tourism business does this year. Who want to travel just to find the rain and dampness when they get to their destination.