Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
donnamatrix

Default No Wake Zone on Winnipesaukee?

Remember back around 1998 there was a total no wake zone on the lake due to the high water situation-the no wake rule lasted until July 4, as I recall. I see that Silver Lake currently has a total no wake zone rule being applied. Anyone know the status of Winnipesaukee? The water level is very high, going to cause problems for nesting loons...among others.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Remember back around 1998 there was a total no wake zone on the lake due to the high water situation-the no wake rule lasted until July 4, as I recall. I see that Silver Lake currently has a total no wake zone rule being applied. Anyone know the status of Winnipesaukee? The water level is very high, going to cause problems for nesting loons...among others.
The water level is pretty normal for this time of year. I have seen it higher in years past without no wake rule. As of right now and I expect it to continue, all is well on Winni!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 05-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
ThePlut

Default page

There is a lake level chart on Bizer's webpage that has the current lake level as well as some charts from 1998 and 2006 (there was a lakewide no wake zone in 2006 as I recall). While the lake may be high, it's nowhere near as high as those two points on the chart.

Plus, it's just a cool graph...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
NHBUOY

...and there was one in 1986 too...and by the sounds of things, this weekend WILL NOT have a lakewide NO-WAKE/HEADWAY speed in effect.?..thanx...
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Just Sold

Lake Champlain is having flooding issues with waves crashing into low lying cottages. So on Winni we are still lucky not to have that occur here.

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, Vt. — The Lake Champlain ferry between Charlotte and Essex, N.Y., is running again.
The Lake Champlain Transportation Company says 50 truckloads of gravel were used to elevate the ferry dock on the New York side to keep vehicles and passengers out of the water.
After heavy spring rains and snowmelt, the lake level is 102.2 feet above sea level, nearly 2-feet above flood stage.
The Charlotte ferry service was suspended at the end of April. It resumed Thursday.
The ferry between Burlington and Port Kent, N.Y., hasn't started its summer service yet. Other ferries are running normally.

Vermont Public Radio:

Gusts Expected To Cause More Flood Damage

Thursday, 05/26/11 12:04pm
Ross Sneyd - Colchester, VT

(Host) Residents and officials along the Vermont side of Lake Champlain are worried about more flood damage as winds pick up today. Forecasts call for gusts out of the west. And Burlington Public Works Director Steve Goodkind says that will cause more of the kind of damage the lakeshore saw earlier this week with southerly winds.
(Goodkind) "I think there was a lot of destruction, maybe as much from the waves on Monday as there had been from the flooding in some areas. And it could repeat today. The westerly wind has just about the same effect. We're exposed from the south, the west and a little bit from the north with the winds."
(Host) The damage is caused when the wind kicks up waves. They cause erosion along the lakeshore. They also throw driftwood and other debris onto beaches and into fragile lakeside banks.
Officials say the problem will be concentrated in the northern part of the lake. Many summer camps were damaged earlier this week and they could be in danger again.

There also are a number of lakeshore roads that are exposed, including the causeway that links the Champlain Islands to the mainland.
Sponsored Links