Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Just Sold

Default Restoring Faded Boat Finish

I am looking for recomendations on bringing back the finish on fiberglass when it has dulled/faded. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:37 PM   #2
Seadoo

i know that Ship Shape does this i think he sand blasts it? not sure though
Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
Woodsy

If you have the $$$....

Call John Spooner at Diamond Shine 603-235-8925. He is the best on the lake and does a great job. He does alot of the big $$$ boats on the lake for the fussy types. I have him buff my boat and it looks fantastic. He can also wet sand if the finish is too far gone for a buffing wheel.

If you want to do it yourself..

There are a few different ways of doing it, but you will need ALOT of elbow grease no matter what. You can wet sand the boat going to a progressively finer grit, or you can use rubbing compound and fine polish. There are alot of great products, I like the 3M stuff. You should try to do it by hand. If you are at all inexperienced with using an electric buffer you WILL burn thru your gel coat.

Woodsy
Old 06-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Question How far gone is it

The question is whether the gelcoat has faded and can be brought back though some surface level work (rubbing compound or such) or whether the gelcoat has gone too far to be "buffed back". If it's the latter you might want to check out either of the products I mentioned in this thread.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ght=fiberglass

The product used on Ship Shape TV is here. In fact an excerpt of the episode showing the application of the product is on the "demo" on the website.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy
If you have the $$$....

Call John Spooner at Diamond Shine 603-235-8925. He is the best on the lake and does a great job. He does alot of the big $$$ boats on the lake for the fussy types. I have him buff my boat and it looks fantastic....
Woodsy, would you mind giving me a ball park estimate of what he charges to do your boat? Does he do it in the water? I have a new boat but eventually it's going to need some spiffing up.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links