Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #1
jbess

Default Look Out!

Hello All,
New to the forum, super glad I found it! This weekend, we will be picking up our first boat (2002 Glastron 185) and we are very excited. My family and I have been vacationing yearly for about the last five or so years in Winni area. My father-in-law has a place about a mile from Weirs and we just love it here (we are from CT). The last 2 or 3 yrs we have rented from Anchor Marine and Winnisquam Marine.

The one thing I am most nervous about is the launch and recovery process. I have been doing alot of reading, both here, and babc.com. Tons of great info, thanks ! My question is this, were would you say is the best place to put in, and get the feel for things and recover without the pressure of others waiting too long. We were thinking maybe Opeechee Lake or such. Any thoughts would be most encourageing, Thanks in advance! Joe
jbess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Woodsy

Christmas Island has a nice easy to use launch that isn't utilized very much. It will cost you $20ish I think... $10 in, $10 out

Woodsy
Old 05-24-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
Phantom

Launching without pressure!!

First of all Jbess -- welcome to the Forum!!

As far as your question is concerned, it really depends on the time of Day. It's sort of a lottery you can't win. There are a number of spots in and around Laconia where you can acess a ramp (Christmas Island, Ames Farm, Silver Sands Hotel, Merideth Town Docks) -- Perhaps for your goals - the best might be Center Harbor Town Docks. This is usually a quiet spot, plenty of manuevering room for a first timer but it will be quite a boat ride back to Wiers area (if unfamiliar with the lake). My second best would be Silver Sands Hotel - however the ramp here is a "little" narrow for a first time go (nothing you couldn't deal with.

I wouldn't worry too much about "holding up" others -- I certainly respect & admire your concern. The best advice is to have everything checked and ready for launch (tie strap removal, drain plug check, keys?, etc) out of the way before you line up for any ramp. Other than that, I think you will find most people accomadating and helpful. I know I've helped a number of folks through the years ........ granted, the quicker they get in - the quicker I do
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:43 AM   #4
Orion

Default Day of week is most important

You'll find that the weekdays are much much quieter at the ramps than Saturdays or Sundays.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #5
Quilt Lady

Default the New Hampshire way . . .

While I'm no expert on things nautical, I do know that people up here are very helpful. If you arrive at your chosen boat ramp and someone is ahead of you, explain to them that it is your first time and ask if you can observe and ask questions. You can gain a great deal of information that way. To those who come in behind you, explain again that it is your first time and apologize in advance for your slowness. You will find most people will be more than willing to help you out. They will probably assist you since it will mean they can get in the water quicker. If you run into a member of the Capt' Bonehead group . . . just shrug it off as a learning experience.

Good luck and enjoy the lake!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
MJM

Default Weekday

I agree with Orion that the key is to go on a weekday. If that's not an option, go early A.M.

I use the Wolfeboro town docks, and I never like it when a crowd gathers.
~ Some are just curious, and admire a job well done (when it goes well! )
~ Others are pessimists that are watching, hoping for something bad to happen
~ Others think they know it all, and could do it better

As the years have passed and launching/hauling out aren't a big deal anymore, it's less of an issue, but I still prefer the quiet times.

My advice is to take your time. It's great to be courteous and mindful of others, but feeling rushed will only add stress and create opportunities for errors. Everyone waiting was a beginner at one time too.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
JTA

Default launching and docking

Good luck and welcome.
One thing I've noticed through the years is that in launching and docking, you either look great or like a "village idiot". Just remember, even a 30+ year veteran can look like a VI ... boats have a way of taking you down fast.
Since you are new, you will have everything planned ahead I'm sure. Make sure, if it's windy, that you anticipate the boat's drift. When I was teaching my daughters how to dock I used the "Karate Kid" lesson of Mr. Yamaguchi: "wax on ... wax off" only I modified it to say "slow in ... slow out".
Also, it's not an embarrassment to use your boat hook (I assume you bought one).
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

If you have not backed a boat at a boatramp,definatly practice somewhere else first.Try a wide open parking lot and get used to how the trailer responds turning left and right in reverse.Its a little weird at first.Use the parking space lines as your imaginary boat ramp.A little practice before will alleviate some anxiety when you do reach the ramp.Good luck!!
Old 05-24-2006, 10:01 AM   #9
playinghooky

Default Checklist

It's always helpful for a new boater to make up a checklist of the things that need to be done and follow it each time you launch. Even experienced boaters can forget something. Items on the check list should include things like:
Put the plug in
Untie the hold down straps
Get dock lines ready
Turn on blower for 2 minutes prior to starting the motor
Ensure that lower unit is in the up position
Be sure you have the key
Make sure all saftey equipment is on board and available (life jackets fire extinguisher, throwable life preserver, etc)
Unplug the wire to the trailer lights
Make sure you have a chart (Bizer) on board
Put everything on board before you launch (coolers, food etc)

I'm sure there are other items as well but these will get you started. You can add to the list as you go along. The most important part is to do all the prep-work prior to backing down the ramp. The most frustrating thing for other boaters is waiting for someone to launch and doing these on the ramp rather than doing them while you are off to the side and out of everyones way. You should choose a ramp that has a dock along side in the beginning until you get used to launching. It comes in handy. Enjoy the new boat but remember since the water is so high right now that the Marine Patrol is urging everyone to stick to headway speed on until the lake level gets lower. This will be hard to do with a new boat as I'm sure you'll want to see what the boat can do, but for now just go slow!
playinghooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Water Camper

Default Lakeport Landing

I'd also like to add that Lakeport Landing has a very nice launch, not extremely busy on the weekends, but you do need to be able to backup with a boat in tow. You are launcing into a quiet bay so no issues with rough water. Parking is first come first serve on the local side streets, never been an issue for me. Used to be $12 in and out, not sure what it is currently.

Hope this helps, Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default "The best might be Center Harbor Town Docks"

Phantom,

The Center Harbor Ramp has a little surprise for some people. The “Ramp” has a sheer drop off about 20 to 25 feet as it goes into the water. The lake bottom has been washed away from all the “Power Loadings”. Of course there is a sign at the ramp saying “NO POWER LOADING”. The problem is when you back your trailer to far down the ramp the axels go off the ramp and the frame is now sitting on the ramp. The drop off is a good 3 feet to the lake bottom. This may not be a problem now with the water level so high? The Ramp also has a rather steep angle, under certain condition you may need to use your 4 wheel drive.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #12
Dave R

Welcome! Plenty of good advice here already. The fact that you had the common sense to ask for some advice immediately indicates that you'll do just fine.

Pick up your own Chapman's small boat handling book as soon as you can. It's packed with wonderful information and should be in every boater's library.

See ya on BABC...

Dave
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
donnamatrix

Default Docks under water

Just beware that the Center Harbor docks are now about 2 inches under water, so it's a bit tricky dockside. Don't worry about everyone else (easy to say) watching. It's kinda like the first hole in a golf game, everyone is waiting to tee off, so they have nothing to do but critique your performance while they wait their turn. I agree you should load the boat before you launch, ensure all safety equipment is onboard, the plug is in (duh!) and lines/fenders are in place. From your post, I hope you are not planning on entering Winni from Lake Opeechee, that woudl be very tricky.

Over the years, before we permanently moved up here, we launched at just about every place, and Christmas Island is pretty protected area, and not busy at all. Also, they have space to park your vehicle and trailer. Another good spot is in Meredith, at the dock that is located at Shep Brown's Marina, they also have spot for storing car/trailer.

Good luck and have fun!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:27 PM   #14
islandAl

Default trailer backing

tip hold the bottom of your steering wheel and turn your hand in the direction you want the tailer to go.
Try practicing in empty parking lot if you can.
If you think backing up with the boat on is hard, wait until you try backing just the trailer alone. maybe on flat ground you can see it, but once the trailer starts down the ramp, you lose sight of it. Hard to do, but the only way to see it, is with the side mirrors.
Good luck and enjoy.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
gtxrider

Thumbs up Always remeber and never forget

I have seen this first hand

1. Check to see if the drain plug is installed.
Boats fill up fast.

2. Remove the tie downs from the transom.
I watched as a person backed down a ramp and the water poured over the transom.

3. Make sure you have a rope tied to the boat that is long enough to reach the dock next to the ramp.
Nothing worse than watching your boat float away.

4. Make sure the parking brake is on before you get out of the tow vehicle.
I remember a car and trailor backing down the ramp and disappearing below the surface.

5. Take it slow and have FUN!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrider
I have seen this first hand

1. Check to see if the drain plug is installed.
Boats fill up fast.

2. Remove the tie downs from the transom.
I watched as a person backed down a ramp and the water poured over the transom.

3. Make sure you have a rope tied to the boat that is long enough to reach the dock next to the ramp.
Nothing worse than watching your boat float away.

4. Make sure the parking brake is on before you get out of the tow vehicle.
I remember a car and trailor backing down the ramp and disappearing below the surface.

5. Take it slow and have FUN!
6. Don't wait until your boat is backed into the water on the trailer to try to start for the first time this season. Especially if you don't bother to winterize the season before. Saw this last year at Center Harbor, then the guy pulls out his tool box while a line of boats are waiting to get in. Fortunately the attendant got to him before he got to far with the tool box.

Anyway thats my vent, you took the time to ask for pointers so I'm sure things will go well for you. Ask for help if you need it at the ramp. Good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:13 PM   #17
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
6. Don't wait until your boat is backed into the water on the trailer to try to start for the first time this season.
But don't do this unless you have "earmuffs" and a supply of water running through them. You can easily fry you impellor (the fins that make your water pump work) if you run it dry for even less than 1 minute.
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #18
jbess

Wow, this great, thanks for all the info!!

The trailering and backing stuff won't be the problem, as I do a fair bit of it at work. The concerns I have are with the wife and her ability to get up to speed asap. I will definately be teaching her how to back.

I will keep Christmas Island and Lakeport in mind as well as the launch next to Sheps. I just thought that somewhere out of the way like Opeechee would be better. Just to mess around in.

One last question, Good spots to get gear (saftey stuff, pfd's, etc...) lake charts??? Thanks Again!

Joe
Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #19
ITD

I like Parafunalia in Gilford, good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Boat Stuff?

Check with the Dealer you purchased the boat from. They usually have a “BOAT KIT” that will have the essential equipment needed , an ore, fire extinguisher, sounding devise, a couple of PFDs and a signaling device. Make him through it in as part of the sale. He can afford it. You may do better price wise to try Walmart or Sports Paraphernalia in Gilford. The closest marine discount store, West Marine, is in Seabrook.

The State puts out a booklet known as The Boaters Guide of New Hampshire. It has every thing in it you will need to get started and it’s free. Most Marinas, Bait Shops and places that do registration have them. You can also go on line and read it. Go to http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/toc.htm
You can also down load it. It is in a PDF format. The first thing you should do is register for the safe boating class. Any one driving the boat is required to have a Safe Boater Education Certificate.

Have fun and boat safely on the BIG LAKE.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Parafunalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
I like Parafunalia in Gilford, good luck.
I'll second that.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #22
Neanderthal Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by playinghooky
It's always helpful for a new boater to make up a checklist of the things that need to be done and follow it each time you launch. Even experienced boaters can forget something. Items on the check list should include things like:
Put the plug in
Untie the hold down straps
Get dock lines ready
Turn on blower for 2 minutes prior to starting the motor
Ensure that lower unit is in the up position
Be sure you have the key
Make sure all saftey equipment is on board and available (life jackets fire extinguisher, throwable life preserver, etc)
Unplug the wire to the trailer lights
Make sure you have a chart (Bizer) on board
Put everything on board before you launch (coolers, food etc)

I'm sure there are other items as well but these will get you started. You can add to the list as you go along. The most important part is to do all the prep-work prior to backing down the ramp. The most frustrating thing for other boaters is waiting for someone to launch and doing these on the ramp rather than doing them while you are off to the side and out of everyones way. You should choose a ramp that has a dock along side in the beginning until you get used to launching. It comes in handy. Enjoy the new boat but remember since the water is so high right now that the Marine Patrol is urging everyone to stick to headway speed on until the lake level gets lower. This will be hard to do with a new boat as I'm sure you'll want to see what the boat can do, but for now just go slow!
I have printed your list out. Great list! What else would you suggest for our Class "B" camper? Its a stretched, self-contained Dodge van, and we will be launching a 24 foot boat. This site had a map somewhere so we can put in our stickpin? We visit there two months a year from Sacramento, California. Thanks.
Neanderthal Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #23
lfm

jbess,

Lots of good advice as usual on this forum. My 2 cents, Ames farm in Gilford is an excellent place to launch. Two wide ramps, and ample parking. It can be busy if they are hosting a fishing tournement, but the fisherman are in early and you can ask about the tourney end time and plan your retrieve accordingly.

Christmas Island may not offer parking for your trailer if you are not a guest there. At least that was their policy two years ago.

As for backing an empty trailer down the ramp, when I was new to boating I was having trouble since I couldn't see the trailer without the boat on it. A helpful boater at the ramp suggested I lower the tailgate on my pickup, and that simplified putting the empty trailer in the water since I could see the trailer.

Good luck!
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #24
jbess

Quote:
Ames farm in Gilford is an excellent place to launch. Two wide ramps, and ample parking.
Thanks Ifm, I will definatly check it out!
Old 05-24-2006, 11:56 PM   #25
Kevin C

Default Tip #7

Unless your trailer light are sealed, I would suggest that you unplug your trailer lights before you back the trailer into the water. When the hot bulb is immersed in cold water the bulb can fail.

Take it slow and easy....you'll do just fine!
Kevin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:24 AM   #26
Yankee

Default Tip #8

Don't forget to take care of your trailer. Make sure that your trailer is equipped with a set of bearing buddys

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:21 AM   #27
upnorth

Default Unplug the trailer??

My trailer has surge brakes that are deactivated when I put the vehicle in reverse. (Apprarently, there is some sort of solenoid valve in the surge brake system that is energized when the back-up lights come on -- the wire from the trailer plugs into a lead that is tapped into the reverse lights).

So, I think I need to keep the trailer plugged in so I can back up. Unless the advice would be that given the trailer clearly should be urged away from the truck once I'm at the ramp so that the brakes shouldn't come on (i.e., heading down away from the truck), it would be ok at that point to unplug the trailer??

Thoughts?
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:43 AM   #28
longisland60

Default Other source for gear and hints from past mistakes...

Hey JBess,

Best of luck to you. An 18 footer shouldn't be too much trouble launching, although I have an easier time backing in my boat (24') trailer than I do my jetski trailer. All those tips from other posters are good ones. As you mention, it is a great idea to teach your wife to also back in the trailer. That serves two purposes:

1. Gives you a helper when you are taking the boat out, especially for those busy times at the ramp when you cannot always tie up while waiting.

2. It'll reduce the smart comments when you look like the VI ;-) And, it'll give you an opportunity to give back the grief you'll take the first few times you do it yourself.

As for sources for gear, I, too, use Parafunalia when I need something small or just quickly. Otherwise, I will use West Marine, www.westmarine.com, and buy things online. I have had great luck with them. Their prices are generally the best around, they have free shipping (for purchases over $100), and I haven't had to return anything I've bought from them. I've bought water skis, fenders, manuals, dock assessories, floodlights, life jackets, maintenance supplies, etc.

I'll also relate a story from when I was a teenager. Don't let this happen to you. My dad and I were in line to lauch our boat down on Narragansett Bay. In front of us was a guy launching about a 25 foot cruiser. He packed up the boat with all their gear while it was on the trailer, put his two kids on the boat, and handed his wife a bow line to hold. He backed the trailer in, launched the boat, pulled the trailer out, and the wind promptly started blowing the boat away. His wife got pulled into the water, dropped the line and away went the boat. My dad and I ran down a dock and I managed to hop on the boat and toss another line to him where he tied it off. Luckily the only damage was to the poor guys' pride. Of course, the kids thought it was the funniest thing.

So, the moral(s) of the story are:

1. Take your time, don't rush just because there are people waiting. We're used to it, and we have all been in your shoes.

2. Don't underestimate the power of the wind and don't overestimate your ability to hold on. Always use a good long line and tie it off to something.

3. Always look out for the other guy, and don't be afraid to help. No matter how many times we all do this, there will always be a time when something goes wrong, we forget to do something, or we do something dumb. Same goes for on the water...
longisland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #29
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Be prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth
My trailer has surge brakes that are deactivated when I put the vehicle in reverse. (Apprarently, there is some sort of solenoid valve in the surge brake system that is energized when the back-up lights come on -- the wire from the trailer plugs into a lead that is tapped into the reverse lights).

So, I think I need to keep the trailer plugged in so I can back up. Unless the advice would be that given the trailer clearly should be urged away from the truck once I'm at the ramp so that the brakes shouldn't come on (i.e., heading down away from the truck), it would be ok at that point to unplug the trailer??
Thoughts?
Well the advice to unplug the trailer so the hot lights won't pop if exposed to cold water is sound but in your case perhaps you have no real choice. Most of the time the light bulb is (should be) sealed off from the water. If it isn't then you run the chance that the bulb will pop. In your case I say bring spare bulbs and a screwdriver and let them pop. Leaky housings should be replaced anyway (when you get a chance) and I'd replace them with LED taillights, which you don't have to unplug.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #30
lfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth

Thoughts?
My trailer is equipped with a solenoid that locks out the surge brakes when the vehicle is in reverse. (Its activiated by a lead off the back up lights). However, there is a pin that can be inserted in the coupler to manually lockout the surge brakes. Just make sure that once you are going to pull instead of push your trailer, you remove the pin so that the brakes are active.

Btw my trailer is a Four Winns, but I'd check and see if you can disable the brakes if you're lights aren't sealed and you want to extend their life.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #31
upnorth

Duh! Of course. I almost forgot, (but would have remembered when I saw the set up -- after all, its been 6 months) . I too have a four winns and yes I can use the pin.

Thanks for the "reminder"
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #32
tbutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
Well the advice to unplug the trailer so the hot lights won't pop if exposed to cold water is sound but in your case perhaps you have no real choice.
He probably still does. The brake lockout isn't particularly important when
backing down a ramp, where there will be little or no pressure on the
coupler to push the boat/trailer.

That being said, if the lights are sealed, there's no reason to unplug them.
I never unplug mine. Nor have I ever needed to use the manual brake
lockout on my trailer. I expect I would if I were to back up a hill though.
tbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:26 AM   #33
jbess

Talking Well we did it!

After a ton of reading here, we went and picked up our GX185 on Saturday. The tech at the marina was very helpful and patient with us as we had many questions. Got her back to the camp and spent the rest of saturday reading and turning things on and off, making lists of things to get. Man that day went by fast!

Spent Sunday morning at church, had some lunch, then it was off to Parafunalia for "stuff". Went down the street a few miles and took a look at Ames Farm Inn. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it is a nice, wide, quite spot for the first timer to launch. Get back to camp, put all of the "stuff" away in the boat, do some more reading.

Monday comes. Uncover the boat. Stow everything. Load up a cooler with soda and lunch. Invite the in-laws to join us (they do), take off for Ames Farm. Get to the launch, take off stern straps, check bilge plug, disconnect lights, brief wife and father in-law how I think its supposed to work, hand wife bow line, put daughter and mother in-law in boat (shes a bit skeptical at this point) and back down the ramp. Father in-law lets off winch strap, hmmm, nothing. try to give it a push, nothing. Back in another foot or so, and it slid right off. Parked truck, loaded up, and were off! Man we had a blast. My daughter tried out her new tube (I thought the water was kind of cold) and loved it. In-laws loved just tooling around. Headed down towards Alton bay and back. Back at the dock, getting back on the trailer was pretty easy. Backed the trailer in, walked boat over with bow line, and pulled her up enough so I could hook up winch strap, and cranked it up tight.

Was I nervous launching and recovering? Beyond belief !! But with the advice of many here, we just took our time and no one got hurt. All in all it went smooth, but there is still a bit of practice needed. Can't wait to get back in the water! Thanks again, Joe
Old 05-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #34
Dave R

Congrats! Sounds like a great day on the lake.

I would like to offer one bit of advice, always use two lines when launching the boat, you cannot fully control a boat with just a bow line. A stern line as well will make the boat vastly more easy to control on a windy day.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #35
JTA

Default Good job!

Congrats Joe (and family). If everyone did your amount of prep the lake would be a better (and safer) place. Now that you were successful, the only thing that is likely to screw you up is wind.
I assume that you observed the temporary 600' no wake declaration when you did your tubing?
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:10 AM   #36
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Glad to hear your first day of boating went well......Just remember it only gets easier....and never be afraid to ask for help....Pretty much anybody I have ever met at a ramp or on the water is willing to help out.......And just remember no matter what happens it has happend to someone else before.....
Old 05-31-2006, 11:20 AM   #37
ossipeeboater

I also launched my boat for the first time at Ames Farm and the ramps there are great to use. You definately get used to the trailer in fact I can put my 24 foot boat in places easier than my jet ski trailer. Have a great summer out there.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote