Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
Grady223

Default Chart Plotter

Just bought a new Grady White, guess I'll have to change my sign on to Grady255!
Anyway, I want to install an in dash chart plotter. Any suggestions as to brand and model?
Am I correct in my understanding that the Bizer charts only work with Garman? Are there charts of the Lake on the standard inland map sets for any/all plotters? I love the Bizer hand held charts.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
Just bought a new Grady White, guess I'll have to change my sign on to Grady255!
Anyway, I want to install an in dash chart plotter. Any suggestions as to brand and model?
Am I correct in my understanding that the Bizer charts only work with Garman? Are there charts of the Lake on the standard inland map sets for any/all plotters? I love the Bizer hand held charts.
Bizer charts will not work with newer Garmin units at this time.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=bizer

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ighlight=bizer
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #3
codeman671

Quote:
There are a few threads about this. Standard Horizon plotters use Cmap cards, which contain the Bizer charting.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

I am very partial to the Lowrance HDS series with the largest screen you can fit. When used with the Navionics mapping chip, it's a real tough combo to beat!

Good luck!

Dan
Old 11-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #5
Grady223

I am now looking into Garmin Lakevu HD. Another poster in another string suggested that it works real well. I watched Garmin radar plotting the Lake a couple of summers ago. Must be serious about their product. Anyone have any experience?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2015, 03:59 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
I am now looking into Garmin Lakevu HD. Another poster in another string suggested that it works real well. I watched Garmin radar plotting the Lake a couple of summers ago. Must be serious about their product. Anyone have any experience?
Not sure if you're referring to me, but I have the 50DV with Lakevu HD, and it's almost identical to my Bizer map. Bizer thinks they might have used their map to base LV on, but there are some differences and, clearly, Garmin has boats on the lake so I'm not sure. In either case, though I'm not thrilled (if it's true) that Garmin has shut down 3rd party maps (haven't heard confirmation), they've provided a great product and have been excellent to work with.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
..... I'm not thrilled (if it's true) that Garmin has shut down 3rd party maps (haven't heard confirmation), they've provided a great product and have been excellent to work with.

I assume you are speaking of Bizer. Are you happy with the Garmin product? Does it allow you to navigate the lake safely and effectively?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
DesertDweller

I have a Garmin 53DV with the LakeVu Ultra HD chip. Winnipesaukee is one of maximum definition lakes on the chip. Have always found Garmin's to be the most user friendly of the products available. Have no experience with Bizer maps (other than the paper versions) so can't say one way or another which is better but I like mine.

Last edited by DesertDweller; 11-21-2015 at 04:27 PM.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
I assume you are speaking of Bizer. Are you happy with the Garmin product? Does it allow you to navigate the lake safely and effectively?
Sent you a PM this morning.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #10
DRH

Default Standard Horizon

For a number of years I used a Standard Horizon chartplotter GPS with Bizer's Winnipesaukee C-MAP card. The GPS display was exactly like Bizer's printed chart.

I sold that boat early this year and got a new one, so had to get a new GPS. (I had hard-wired that GPS and it's external antenna into the boat and it was too much trouble to uninstall everything.)

This time I opted for another Standard Horizon chartplotter, a CP390i with 7" hi-res screen. I bought and installed Bizer's Winnipesaukee NT+ C-MAP card (Model WWCM) which is carried by Irwin Marine in Lakeport.

The CP390i is an excellent chartplotter. It has an internal antenna, which appears to be every bit as sensitive as the external antenna on the unit in my previous boat. Screen resolution and brightness is very good.