Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #1
Gould1

Default Alton Bay boat launch

Hello all,

Last year I decided to launch my boat at Downing's Landing for the first time in a long time and I was shocked. As soon as I backed in my trailer the whole thing tipped to one side and off the concrete we went. Getting my triple axle trailer out with the boat on at the end of the day was a struggle to say the least. I thought for sure I was going to rip my forward axle out from under the trailer trying to get it back up onto the concrete. My question is, is there a better launch in the Alton Bay area that can accommodate a large tri-axle trailer? I don't mind paying to launch or park. I don't dare even try Downing's again. I think the last time I just got lucky.

Thanks

Last edited by Gould1; 04-28-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Gould1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gould1 View Post
Hello all,

Last year I decided to launch my boat at Downing's Landing for the first time in a long time and I was shocked. As soon as I backed in my trailer the whole thing tipped to one side and off the concrete we went. Getting my triple axel trailer out with the boat on at the end of the day was a struggle to say the least. I thought for sure I was going to rip my forward axel out from under the trailer trying to get it back up onto the concrete. My question is, is there a better launch in the Alton Bay area that can accommodate a large try-axel trailer? I don't mind paying to launch or park. I don't dare even try Downing's again. I think the last time I just got lucky.

Thanks
I feel your pain.
I just bought a boat and was hoping to use it on Newfound...figures fish and game picks this spring to do preventative maintenance on the pilings for ice damage. It is a nice ramp however but out of commission for the best part of the fishing season (trolling for salmon)
The Downing situation is dangerous and they should try to put a temporary fix in the ramp before someone gets hurt physically or financially. Shouldn't take much to even out the ramp a bit so trailers don't fall off the edge.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 PM   #3
Just Sold

Quote:
Hello all,

Last year I decided to launch my boat at Downing's Landing for the first time in a long time and I was shocked. As soon as I backed in my trailer the whole thing tipped to one side and off the concrete we went. Getting my triple axel trailer out with the boat on at the end of the day was a struggle to say the least. I thought for sure I was going to rip my forward axel out from under the trailer trying to get it back up onto the concrete. My question is, is there a better launch in the Alton Bay area that can accommodate a large try-axel trailer? I don't mind paying to launch or park. I don't dare even try Downing's again. I think the last time I just got lucky.

Thanks
Gould1 look here for a recent discussion on Downings Landing. http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ad.php?t=20452
Today I sent an e-mail to the F&G contact I have and referenced your and my experences with the ramp asking for at least temporary repairs be done quickly
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Gould1 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #4
Gould1

Just Sold,
I will be very curious to see what there response is if any at all. I just finished reading the thread you supplied a link to and seems like I'm not the only one. I just hope that they are tearing that building down to make room for parking and not something crazy. I guess only time will tell if they are planning something with those docks and the ramp. I just find it very surprising that Fish and Game would even allow anyone to walk on those rickety docks. What if someone got hurt? I just think it's an invitation for problems. I can only imagine what the ramp situation will look like this year.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
dickiej

Try Robert's Cove, which isn't technically Alton Bay but pretty darn close. Don't know if your trailer will fit, as it's a narrow ramp, but easy and well maintained.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
Phantom

About 10 minutes further up the road (towards Gilford) is West Alton Marine

You will have to pay, but you also get to park and it has a great set up to allow you to maneuver the vehicle.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
Joebon

Isn't there a public ramp next to Shipley's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebon View Post
Isn't there a public ramp next to Shipley's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Town of Alton ramp open to the public. It may be a bit steep for a big rig and the trailer will have to be parked on Letter S road across from the Highway dept.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #9
Gould1

When you say it's a bit steep for a large rig do you mean because the trailer may get hung up cresting the top or do you think the entire unit may get dragged down the ramp? (Surge brakes won't work in reverse). How does the parking situation work? If you have to go park at an off site location, does your boat tie up the dock until you get back? Do you need someone circling out in the bay with the boat until you return?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Gould1, how long is your boat?

What type boat do you have and length...

When I use the Alton Town Ramp, with my tandem axle trailer for my 25ft Mariah bowrider, I have no problem backing down to launch or pick up as long as the lake is at or within an inch or two of full lake.

The ramp is a concrete pad that extends out into the lake, but depending on the size of your boat and trailer, you may have to get close to the edge of the concrete pad, which as a pretty deep drop off at the end of the pad. Once the boat is launched, just off to the left is the Alton Town Docks, and you can tie up there while you take the trailer to the "Letter S" Rd parking area, across from the Town DPW area.

You can then go back to the bay and park there all day. Just know there is no overnight parking allowed in the bay parking lot.

I also recommend West Alton Marina for launching / recovery. $20 I believe, and you can park there. Very nice ramp. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Steep Ramp

Be very careful and take it slow on the Alton ramp.

I backed down the ramp once and every time I stepped on the brakes the car kept going and the front wheels locked up because the weight of the boat and trailer was lifting the front end of the car. Backing down the ramp and losing steering was an interesting experience! Watch the stone walls.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (04-29-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
Gould1

Any news on the Downing's boat ramp. Anyone know if the ramp was rebuilt this Spring when the building was torn down?
Old 05-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #13
MikeF-NH

ramp was not rebuilt yet. Big hole right in the middle of the ramp. Biggest hassle is trying to have the trailer set level in that hole. The trick for me was to back in near the dock on the construction side of the ramp (the side closest to where the building was taken down). I know F&G has plans to renovate the ramp but given the condition of that ramp...I'm amazed it hasn't received a high priority. Can't imagine any ramps in the state with that much use that are in that bad of shape.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Gould1 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #14
Gould1

It was bad last fall. I can only imagine how bad it is now. As much as this ramp gets used or used to get used you would think the Fish and Game would be all over this by now.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #15
Just Sold

Quote:
It was bad last fall. I can only imagine how bad it is now. As much as this ramp gets used or used to get used you would think the Fish and Game would be all over this by now.
I tried to get F&G's attention on this issue but have not heard anything since thier response to my first e-mail. I have sent 2 additional e-mails to them without a response over the condition of the ramp.

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-23-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (05-22-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #16
Just Sold

Default Nice Repair Job By F&G!

I made a visit tp today Dowings Landing in Alton Bay and it looks like F&G has completed the repair work to the launch ramp and dock. They also added 5 4'x4' posts to support the dock. It is very stable now albeit not quite level. I do suggest using bumpers to protect your boat when launching. The dock posts are not perfect but so much better than before.
Many thanks to F&G for addressing the issues there in a timely manner.
It is a small world at the lake. The owner of the boat being launched is the owner of the cottage next to the one my parents leased in the 60's and early 70's from Walter Piper. We also stayed in this persons cottage before it was sold by Walter Piper to Ken Doherty and it eventually went to the present owner then greatly expanded to what it is today. We had never met before today.
Attached Images

Last edited by Just Sold; 07-24-2016 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Add last paragraph and Title
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
DRH (07-22-2016), Rattlesnake Gal (07-25-2016), Slickcraft (07-22-2016), upthesaukee (07-22-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:47 AM   #17
JADAQ

Talking

I launched yesterday, quick and easy! No more 6 foot hole at the bottom of the ramp.

They did a great job!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JADAQ For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (07-24-2016), upthesaukee (07-24-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #18
gf2020

Cool little boat but that guy might not want to back that Lexus in so deep!
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #19
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Cool little boat but that guy might not want to back that Lexus in so deep!
It could be worse! At least it is not salt water.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 AM   #20
Gould1

Did they extend the concrete planks into the water any further than before? I know you were barely in the water and the trailer would fall off the ramp?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:49 AM   #21
JADAQ

Quote:
Did they extend the concrete planks into the water any further than before? I know you were barely in the water and the trailer would fall off the ramp?
The F&G officer who was there said they had fold out concrete extensions they installed further into the lake.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #22
Dave R

That's great news, thanks for sharing.

Nice pictures, great story and a really cool boat.

I'm glad they recycled rather than replaced the old docks. They just needed repair (desperately).

Hopefully the ramp will be more resilient to power loading now. I don't think the few that do that are ever going to stop so it makes sense to make the ramp better able to deal with it. The upside is that power loaders tend to take very little time to load. I won't power load my boat even if it it allowed (way too easy to ding a prop or two on my boat), but I'm a firm believer in driving the boat onto the trailer at idle power, then winching it up to the bow stop. That technique is much faster and offers more control that tugging the boat to the trailer with lines.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #23
Dave R

It's a shame they did not address the missing posts on the north side of the north dock. I often tie up there to stay out of the way while waiting my turn to load.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #24
noreast

All ready a big drop off on the bottom left of the ramp. I think we know why this happens. Also damaged my bimini on the leaning dock posts. But on the bright side, the ramp is much better. If I can put a tri-toon on a trailer alone, I think everyone (especially bass boats) can do it without power loading, If not, please sell your boat.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to noreast For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (10-07-2016)