Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Winni Boater 17 Years

Default Weirs Channel Speed

Have you noticed the sign as you leave the channel which says "idle speed only"? This must be an illegal sign placed there by the nearby motel or other neighbor, as it is incorrect. With the water flowing out of the lake at 5 to 6 knots, down the channel you cannot maintain headway speed on idle. Blow you horn, wave your arms, it doesn't matter to some captains as they continue to barely move forward. This continuing practice by some, makes steady progress almost impossible and is dangerous.
A simple 6 MPH sign is in order.
Winni Boater 17 Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #2
Winnipesaukee

A translation of the NH Headway Speed Law:

-In the eyes of the rather ambiguously-worded law, you may go:
~6mph, or
~The SLOWEST speed as possible while being able to maintain adequate steerage of your boat,
WHICHEVER IS FASTER

There is nothing in the law about "idle speed."

I went through the Weirs about a week ago and also noticed the stronger-than-usual southern current. Headed south, I estimated the fastest current (between the bridge and Thurston's gas docks) was around 4 knots. The rest of the channel was between about 2 and 3 (fun fact--if you notice the water "whirlpooling", it is flowing at at least 3.5kts. When those little whirlpools begin to make little waves, the current is running at at least 5kts at that point).

Going south in my 20-footer, I found I was going about 7-8 knots (GPS) in order to have full steering ability. For all intents and purposes, I went 4 knots and did just fine. The current really just flowed straight. You could almost just ride it safely down to the south end of the channel with the engine off.

Going north, I found I only had to go 2 knots to maintain steerage, but really had to give it some gas to get it to go 5 knots (6mph). And I made a huuuge wake--two MP saw be and didn't seem to mind. Ironically, that night I was pulled over in Meredith for doing "what I estimated to be 30mph." But that's another story.

I wouldn't quite call that sign "illegal," in my expert opinion. Might be misleading, but I suppose one is free to put up a "NO BOATS ALLOWED" sign on their property, for the same reason that it is legal to burn a US flag...
Old 07-20-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Resident 2B

Based on "Freedom of Speech" I would guess anyone can place a sign like that on their property. However, from a boating perspective, the sign has no merit. I am not aware of what "idle speed" is from a NH boating perspective.

I understand the property owner is very concerned about the wall in front of his property, Therefore, when I can, I go through there as far away from his wall as possible, as long as there is no boat coming the other way. On weekends, this is completely impossible, so I go less than 6 MPH (GPS), but I also try to be considerate of the boaters behind me.

Once in a while the guy comes out to yell at the boaters when he feels they are going too fast. I just ignore him as he has no legal standing regarding his ability to enforce "idle speed", in my opinion.

I do feel badly about his wall and I do my best to respect his concern.

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 07-20-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Correction of spelling
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:58 PM   #4
travaler18

Wink no wake zone

I just follow the sighs at either end of the channel(NO WAKE) . IF YOUR CREATING A WAKE YOU ARE GOING TOO FAST !IF YOUR GOING BACKWARDS YOUR GOING TO SLOW---- I really dont know of any boat that can push past 6 knots without creating a wake and Idle speed is a vage concept as not all boats idle at the same rpms and speed for contol.
I pulled this of the net , it was the first site up ,its from s corlina but it gives the general idea
South Carolina Glossary of Boating Terms
GLOSSARY TERM STATE-SPECIFIC DEFINITIONS
HEADWAY SPEED The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering
IDLE SPEED When you see these buoys or signs with these words, they indicate a restricted boating area established to protect the safety of the public and property. In these areas, a vessel cannot proceed at a speed greater than that speed necessary to maintain steering.
NO WAKE SPEED When you see these buoys or signs with these words, they indicate a restricted boating area established to protect the safety of the public and property. In these areas, a vessel cannot proceed at a speed greater than that speed necessary to maintain steering.
SLOW-NO WAKE SPEED When you see these buoys or signs with these words, they indicate a restricted boating area established to protect the safety of the public and property. In these areas, a vessel cannot proceed at a speed greater than that speed necessary to maintain steering
SOOOOOOOOOOO------all that being said .do 3 knots and and callit good
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
NoBozo

There is a REAL definition of Speed.... Somewhere. Common sense needs to be considered.....But will not likely be a factor.

SPEED: Are we talking "SOG"..Speed Over the Ground..OR speed Through The Water.. Which is it? GPS only gives you SOG. If you are heading OUT of the Weirs Chanel toward the lake against a 5 MPH current..you will have to be doing 5 MPH "through the water" just to maintain your position relative to the "Ground/Shore" which of course is not acceptable because you will never get where you are going. At this time..You will be making a 5 MPH wake that the shore will see even though you are making NO progress over the ground. To make progress you will have to make Better than 5MPH which will produce an even bigger wake.

SO: The guy with the shoreline property on the chanel needs to think about building some "Rip Rap" to protect his shore... Oh Wait..the new Shoreline Protection Act will frown on such action.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
No-Mo-Shun

Cool Back in the day

55 years ago when the lake was not so crowded, I would head under the Weirs Bridge in my Class B Utility racer at about 35 MPH, reach back and lean out the high speed jet on the Merc, back off the throttle and glide under the bridge. The exhaust note was outstanding. "Headway Speed" was not too big an issue in those days. The Marine Patrol had a few of those heavy Steelcraft boats. They weren't very fast and there weren't many of them.
I'm not trying to encourage Bad Behavior. Just telling you how few boats were on the lake back then.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
wifi

Maybe the guy can get one of those radar speed indicating signs, like you see along the road and let it do its job. He can then stay inside and watch TV, be less stress on everyone

Good points NoBozo.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #8
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee View Post
Ironically, that night I was pulled over in Meredith for doing "what I estimated to be 30mph." But that's another story.
Winnipesaukee -- I think your the first person that I have heard that has actually been STOPPED for speed --- care to eloborate ?? Where, when, verbal warning? etc
Old 07-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Kamper

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/course/glossary.htm

New Hampshire Glossary of Boating Terms
GLOSSARY TERM STATE-SPECIFIC DEFINITIONS
HEADWAY SPEED The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering or 6 miles per hour
IDLE SPEED The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering or 6 miles per hour
NO WAKE SPEED The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering or 6 miles per hour
SLOW-NO WAKE SPEED The slowest speed at which it is still possible to maintain steering or 6 miles per hour

- - - -

If I remember correctly, the state supplied materials for the certifications course use the wording "not to exceed 6mph."

My interpretation of that is 'speed over ground' not speed through water, at least when traveling against a current. I always go through the Weirs channel with my speedometer reading higher than my GPS. Situations involving channels and currents require a little more thought than flying across the Broads.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
sa meredith

Default illegal sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni Boater 17 Years View Post
Have you noticed the sign as you leave the channel which says "idle speed only"? This must be an illegal sign placed there by the nearby motel or other neighbor, as it is incorrect. With the water flowing out of the lake at 5 to 6 knots, down the channel you cannot maintain headway speed on idle. Blow you horn, wave your arms, it doesn't matter to some captains as they continue to barely move forward. This continuing practice by some, makes steady progress almost impossible and is dangerous.
A simple 6 MPH sign is in order.
While we are at it, how about the sign in the channel reading (and I am shortening this up a bit) "...if you dock here, your boat will be untied, and cast adrift".....huh???
I'm quite sure this is illegal. Intentionally placing a hazzard (an unmanned boat) in the water. That sign has always rubbed me the wrong way.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'd love to see a couple of our MP guys do some duty on the Intercoastal in south Fla.........no wake means keep it under 3 feet. Some of those 100' displacement hulls push a pretty big wake and the Coast Guard does not interfere......up here they jump ugly on you for leaving a 3" ripple
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
AC2717

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I'd love to see a couple of our MP guys do some duty on the Intercoastal in south Fla.........no wake means keep it under 3 feet.Some of those 100' displacement hulls push a pretty big wake and the Coast Guard does not interfere......up here they jump ugly on you for leaving a 3" ripple
A couple of weeks ago I had someone coming out of the channel while I was heading in the channel waive at me and yell at me like I was running over someone (there were 4 people on the boat, and three of them were involved), I looked at what their boat was throwing for a wake and mine, and I had a ripple and they were a small wake, it was just that I was traveling faster due to the current behind the boat and I really just wanted to say to them worry about yourselves and pay attention to what you are doing, don't worry about me. WAsn't liek I was barreling in there out of control, or throwing a wake any which way, believe me, our boat might be only a 23 footer but with a Deep V hull it will throw a good wake below plane.

By the way MP was at the mouth of the channel on the beach side and I went right past him and gave them a waive. I just really wish people would take more time to worry about themselves than what other people are doing when it does not affect them. It happens everywhere, not just on the water.
JUST RELAX AND ENJOY YOURSELF PEOPLE! and worry about just the things that directly affect you!!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
ironhorsetim

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
"...if you dock here, your boat will be untied, and cast adrift".....huh???
That one would not be behind Handy Landing would it ?

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #14
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
While we are at it, how about the sign in the channel reading (and I am shortening this up a bit) "...if you dock here, your boat will be untied, and cast adrift".....huh???
I'm quite sure this is illegal. Intentionally placing a hazzard (an unmanned boat) in the water. That sign has always rubbed me the wrong way.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorsetim View Post
That one would not be behind Handy Landing would it ?
Handy Landing is no longer in business.

This sign is on the other side of the channel, between Thurston's and Channel Marine.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
ironhorsetim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
Handy Landing is no longer in business.
This sign is on the other side of the channel, between Thurston's and Channel Marine.R2B
That I know....and thank you

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Airwaves

Default More or Less

We have had discussions about this in the past and there is a difference of opinion as to what NO WAKE SPEED legally means.

Below is the RSA definition and law. Some choose to interpret this to mean the GREATER of the two speeds others, like myself, interpret this to mean the LESSER of the two speeds.

A mistake this year goes on your driving record!

Quote:
270-D:1 Definitions. – In this chapter:
VI. ""Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.
VIII. ""No wake area'' means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed.
XII. ""Wake'' means any disturbance created on the surface of the water as a result of combined vessel motion and hull displacement.

270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water. –
I. Vessels shall be operated at headway speed only, while passing under all bridges.
VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.
(b) These requirements shall not apply when:
(1) Starting skiers from shore, docks or floats, as long as neither the boat nor the skier is endangering the life or safety of any person.
(c) The operator of a towing boat shall be responsible for compliance with this paragraph

XI. Any conviction under this section shall be reported to the commissioner of the department of safety, division of motor vehicles, and shall become a part of the motor vehicle driving record of the person convicted.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #18
NoBozo

Default A Little Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Mo-Shun View Post
55 years ago when the lake was not so crowded, I would head under the Weirs Bridge in my Class B Utility racer at about 35 MPH, reach back and lean out the high speed jet on the Merc, back off the throttle and glide under the bridge. The exhaust note was outstanding. "Headway Speed" was not too big an issue in those days. The Marine Patrol had a few of those heavy Steelcraft boats. They weren't very fast and there weren't many of them.
I'm not trying to encourage Bad Behavior. Just telling you how few boats were on the lake back then.
Back in 1958 I had a Sid-Craft Class B-Utility with a Merc 20H on the back. I've often wondered if this would even be Legal today. The 20H had what was called a "Quickie" lower unit which had open exhaust when on plane. You could here it for miles.....especially in the early morning when the conditions were best for this rig....flat water. Those were the days.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #19
No-Mo-Shun

Default Quicksilver Lower Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Back in 1958 I had a Sid-Craft Class B-Utility with a Merc 20H on the back. I've often wondered if this would even be Legal today. The 20H had what was called a "Quickie" lower unit which had open exhaust when on plane. You could here it for miles.....especially in the early morning when the conditions were best for this rig....flat water. Those were the days.
Yes they were loud. One night, about midnight, my pal Don Nelson and I shoved off from in front of my cabin at Lakeshore Park and went for a run along the near shore of Welch Island and return. When we got back, I caught hell for waking up half the residents of LSP. Mine was also a Sid-Craft with a Merc Super 10 Hurricane and Quickie lower unit. It would do about 45 MPH as clocked on the "Measured Mile" on the North shore of Rattlesnake Is.

There is Nothing, Absolutely Nothing, Half So Much Worth Doing as Simply Messing About in Boats
Kenneth Grahame
No-Mo-Shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
Orion

Default We need a test case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
We have had discussions about this in the past and there is a difference of opinion as to what NO WAKE SPEED legally means.

270-D:1 Definitions. – In this chapter:
VI. ""Headway speed'' means 6 miles per hour or the slowest speed that a boat can be operated and maintain steerage way.
VIII. ""No wake area'' means an area where a boat is to be operated only at headway speed.
XII. ""Wake'' means any disturbance created on the surface of the water as a result of combined vessel motion and hull displacement.
There is certainly ambiguity in the RSA and it's been there a while with no apparent attempt to clarify it by the lawmakers. I would imagine that someone stopped for making "any disturbance" (extremely subjective) and doing under 6 MPH would be able to take that to court and win.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote