Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
steadyon

Default low idle

Hi all,
Our boat is a 2004 pontoon with a 90 Merc.
This season, (although only been out 3 times so far!) the engine is not idling well and when it does its very rough or it will stall. It does start back up and seems to drive fine. Do any of you mechanical minds have any thoughts?
Maybe the idle needs adjusting or spark plugs need changing?
Thanks
steadyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
Seeker

Could be a water related problem. Have you checked your filters for any accumulation?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
steadyon

I am not mechanically inclined. What filters are you referring to?
I guess I should have my mechanic take a look at it.
thanks for your input.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Airwaves

Default Gotta love that Ethanol!

Now that E-10 fuel has arrived at the lake you should make certain that you have a water seperator in your fuel line. It's easy to install on an outboard if you don't already have one.

Ethanol, among it's other issues with boats, attracts mosture and if you don't use your boat often (3 times this season would probably fall into the not often category) then the mosture will begin to seperate from the gasoline creating water in your fuel. Water being heavier than gasoline will sink to the bottom of your tank where you engine draws fuel causing problems.

Replace your water seperator filter, your gasoline filter and don't forget to add a stabilizer formulated to counteract ethanol every time you refuel. Also keep your fuel tanks topped off, this leaves less room for mosture to form when your boat is not in use.

If the problem still doesn't clear up then you may have to rebuild your carbs and flush out your fuel tanks. This of course assumes that the problem is not tune up related. Make sure your plugs are not fouled and if they are replace them.

Good luck and don't forget to link onto the NMMA website to express your opposition to increasing E-10 to E-15, the date for the close of public comments is quickly approaching.

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-28-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: suggesting tune up as well
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
NoBozo

Airwaves is pretty much on the money. One step further: Ethanol gas left in the tank over the winter is DEVASTATING to your Carburetor. It may likely need Carburetor overhaul to remove SLUDGE. High speed operation may seem fine...Low speed (idle) is where the problem will manifest itself.

Fuel Injection seems to be much less susceptible to Ethanol problems because it injects fuel at High Pressure.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
steadyon

Thanks all,
I will check with my mechanic.
will let you know what he says.