Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
rick35

Default Boat Fees to Double

I read in the paper that the new budget includes doubling boat fees. Doubling the fee made me think that's pretty steep so I pulled out the registration to see if maybe the total fee wasn't doubling.

In case you haven't paid much attention to the registration (like me) there are six amounts on it: Boat Fee, Boat Fee Due, Registration Fee, Registration Fee Due, Total Due DMV, Total Due Agent. The Boat fees are only $1 different and the agent gets $2 over the DMV amount. The difference between the registration fees for me is $11.

So which amount is doubling? One article call the fee a "boat fee" and another calls it a "registration fee". I'm confused and I'm not sure if I should be upset about this. If its only the "Registration Fee" that means I'm out another $17 which I can live with.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
Kamper

I think it's the box that's labelled "Registratin Fee." Or else "Registration Fee Due."

I never understood why "Registration Fee" and "Registration Fee Due" aren't the same amount.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
fatlazyless

The Union Leader said that motorboat regs will go up by 25-45 dollars on July 1.

For car registrations your town clerk will probably let you register before July 1, if you have a birthday in the next three months, and get a 2010 plate sticker at the old rates.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
rick35

It would appear then that the Registration Fee Due is doubling. I can live with that. It's not going to make me want to give up boating.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Orion

Default Wake up!

Doesn't it bother anybody that every level of government is trying to get more money when everyone has less to give. We are all curbing spending while government is ramping up spending. Every dollar is hard-earned by the people yet spent like water by the government to further their "popularity" and electability. All these little increases add up quickly to reduce your ability to live your lives. Let's start by cutting programs that are not essential before increasing all our costs of living. Do we really care about the mating habits of the leopard frog and do we really need a gov't funded teapot museum? C'mon people!

rant off
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Doesn't it bother anybody that every level of government is trying to get more money when everyone has less to give. We are all curbing spending while government is ramping up spending. Every dollar is hard-earned by the people yet spent like water by the government to further their "popularity" and electability. All these little increases add up quickly to reduce your ability to live your lives. Let's start by cutting programs that are not essential before increasing all our costs of living. Do we really care about the mating habits of the leopard frog and do we really need a gov't funded teapot museum? C'mon people!

rant off
This fee specifically targets (for the most part) those that aren't in the "less to give" category. Most boats are used for recreational purposes, if you are suddenly faced with financial hardship, you're not likely to register or keep a boat.

Does NH really use these funds for a teapot museum? That would be a waste, IMO.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You're right, Orion........and it's only beginning. Typical of democrats to sneak in all these back door taxes. Just got a letter today from my payroll company that the unemplyment tax has gone up 1/2 a point........that's $2,000 to me and millions to business' across the state. Wait until the global warming nuts get their way and start taxing everything that runs.......can you say carbon credits? ......oops,sorry......don't mean to get wound up. I know politics are taboo on the forum.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
On The Edge

Tip of the Iceberg
People are still losing their jobs and homes and whoever is left standing will have to pick up the pieces. They could have voted in expanded gambling to help ease the burden but they know what is better for us. High taxes!

OTE
On The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
AC2717

Default You are exactly right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post

rant off
Saying you can live with this is what they feed off of and personally a slap to my face, so where does it stop
I got an Idea, TRIM THE FAT FIRST AND THEN COME TO ME AFTER YOU FIND OUT THAT YOU STILL DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH MONEY. Wow what a concept, seems like every company and person in the world already does this except for governements
Old 06-26-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
AC2717

Default why should it be this way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
This fee specifically targets (for the most part) those that aren't in the "less to give" category. Most boats are used for recreational purposes, if you are suddenly faced with financial hardship, you're not likely to register or keep a boat.

Does NH really use these funds for a teapot museum? That would be a waste, IMO.
Just because I chose to purchase a boat doesn't mean I might have more money to give than another person, it is that I chose to spend my money a different way than another person, I am sick of hearing from people "Oh you can afford it, you have a second place a boat and a jetski." No I just chose to buy these things instead of going out to eat all the time, or dumping major money into the stock market or a savings account.
I am sorry but this part of explaining away things is bull.

Rant off
Old 06-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
gtagrip

Welcome to Massachusetts North!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Just because I chose to purchase a boat doesn't mean I might have more money to give than another person, it is that I chose to spend my money a different way than another person, I am sick of hearing from people "Oh you can afford it, you have a second place a boat and a jetski." No I just chose to buy these things instead of going out to eat all the time, or dumping major money into the stock market or a savings account.
I am sorry but this part of explaining away things is bull.

Rant off
Please re-read the post I replied to and then my post. I was not "explaining away" anything, merely explaining that this tax increase does not target those who are facing financial hardship, for the most part. I'm not for higher taxes, and I'm especially unhappy about this increase.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #13
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
You're right, Orion........and it's only beginning. Typical of democrats to sneak in all these back door taxes. Just got a letter today from my payroll company that the unemplyment tax has gone up 1/2 a point........that's $2,000 to me and millions to business' across the state. Wait until the global warming nuts get their way and start taxing everything that runs.......can you say carbon credits? ......oops,sorry......don't mean to get wound up. I know politics are taboo on the forum.
I am a sole proprietor NH employer, and did not yet get notice. I am small business and have just one employee.

INTERESTING...... to say the least.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #14
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I read in the NH Business Review, I think it was, that not only are the rates going up but the amount on which employees are taxes are going up a lot! 75% maybe?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #15
woodynh

Default Boat Fees Are Increasing To Fund The Marine Patrol

I knew they were trying to pass a bill to increase the boat fees. I didn't know if it passed so I was searching on the internet and found this interesting article in the citizen from January why they want to raise them.

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/CITNEWS0103

But it says they haven't increased since 1979. I bet we would all be complaining if our wages hadn't incraesed since 1979. I am not saying I am happy about it but if that fact is true maybe I can live with the increase.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #16
woodynh

Default Hb 205

I found a link to the house bill that would increase the boat registration fees. It explains all the increases. There are more increases then just the registration fee.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...09/HB0205.html

You can figure out from this exactly how much more it will cost you.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
VtSteve

It's a long overdue increase, and appears to be well thought out, even setting aside a $1 for eradication of milfoil.

Willy nilly tax and fee increases are ridiculous, but this is not one of those. Rest assured I hate taxes as much or more than anyone. But the problems with taxes and spending this decade are a bit more complicated than just cut or increase. If it were that easy, we'd have a robust economy now providing record revenues and wages for all. Unemployment funds are going broke, hence the need to increase funding to them.

The key to tax policy is to have people mature enough to look carefully at the issues, and adjust according to both need and impacts. As a business owner, I was flabbergasted when I heard the government proclaim that if taxes were cut for wealthier people and companies, there would be more jobs and growth, since companies would hire more people.

I gotta tell you honestly. Any CEO that would hire more people based on tax cuts would be the first person I sent a pink slip to. There's been a fundamental disconnect in my party as to what business is all about. If you lower my taxes, I will NOT increase spending, simple as that. If you increase my taxes, ditto on that.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
It's a long overdue increase, and appears to be well thought out, even setting aside a $1 for eradication of milfoil.

Willy nilly tax and fee increases are ridiculous, but this is not one of those. Rest assured I hate taxes as much or more than anyone. But the problems with taxes and spending this decade are a bit more complicated than just cut or increase. If it were that easy, we'd have a robust economy now providing record revenues and wages for all. Unemployment funds are going broke, hence the need to increase funding to them.

The key to tax policy is to have people mature enough to look carefully at the issues, and adjust according to both need and impacts. As a business owner, I was flabbergasted when I heard the government proclaim that if taxes were cut for wealthier people and companies, there would be more jobs and growth, since companies would hire more people.

I gotta tell you honestly. Any CEO that would hire more people based on tax cuts would be the first person I sent a pink slip to. There's been a fundamental disconnect in my party as to what business is all about. If you lower my taxes, I will NOT increase spending, simple as that. If you increase my taxes, ditto on that.
Where's the Thank You button when you need it???

THANK YOU!!!!!
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the house bill from January was voted no either in committee or by the whole house, and the increase which just was passed by the senate creates a different money stream. HB 205 was originated by the Marine Patrol director, but it was voted no in the House of Representatives. A different bill, HB2, which increased registration fees including cars, boats, plus the new 9% campground tent tax, the increase in the lodging & meals tax from 8% to 9%, the new 10% gambling tax and other tax increases such as the tax on LLC businesses will be going into the general fund and not specifically to any one state service.

Basically, it is your boating fee pouring down the state's slushy money river, over the dam, and into the big pool of spending below.......kerspla$h!

If the empty seats in the state house could talk, they'd be saying "sorry NH, never enuf money.....needum bigger fund...ayuh!" Here a tax, there a tax, everywhere a tax tax....welcome to NH!
Just checked the NH legislature's website, and HB 205, a bill pertaining specifically to the Marine Patrol funding and invasive weed control funding was 'held in committee' by the House Ways & Means committee on January 15, 2009.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-29-2009 at 06:23 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #20
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

What I find interesting is that any increase in taxes is considered to be nominal, always defined or sold as well it's only a few bucks here or there and not that big a deal.

Of course when the same is proposed as a reduction well the whole world is going to end, children will starve and there will be utter panic in the streets.

Ironic isn't it. Fact is throwing money at problems never fixes them. It's not a funding problem, hell this state is swimming in money. It's a money management problem and even worse a utter failure of the public to hold elected officials to the fire when money is being wasted.

Out of principal I may just register my boat next year in the cheapest state I can find. Screw 'em all.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
Airwaves

Default Considering the bill was filed at their request...

it seems very strange the Dept of Safety does not have a better handle on statistics to back up the need for this bill or even a better idea of how much it will cost boaters!

Quote:
The Department of Safety states this bill will increase certain boat fees, including registration, transfer, and license fees. This bill will also increase the portion of registration fees paid to the lake restoration and preservation fund and the portion paid to authorized registration agents not working directly for the Department. The Department assumes current registrations by boat type will mirror data from the most recent year available, $1.8 million in FY 2006. However, as total boat registration has declined since FY 2006, the Department estimates this bill will increase state restricted revenue to the navigation safety fund by $1.5 million annually. The Department does not have information on the number of boat transfers, therefore the additional state restricted revenue from a $2 increase in transfer fees cannot be calculated. Additionally, this bill increases the number of years a license to operate commercial vehicles is valid from two years to five years. The Department states this change will decrease restricted revenue from license renewal fees by an indeterminable amount in FY 2010 and each year thereafter. The Department states this bill imposes a $10 fee to retake failed examinations. The Department assumes 110 failures per year will increase restricted revenue by $1,100 in FY 2010 and each year thereafter. The Department estimates the $11 increase in cost for a captain’s license would increase restricted revenue by $3,861 in FY 2010 and each year thereafter (351 captains’ licenses x $11 = $3,861).

The Department of Safety estimates this bill will increase revenue to the lakes restoration fund by approximately $250,000 ($1 x 250,000 boats) annually. The increase in agent fees would increase revenue to some local governments who are municipal agents, however, the Department cannot determine how many agents are local governments, therefore the fiscal impact on local revenues cannot be calculated.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 AM   #22
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
What I find interesting is that any increase in taxes is considered to be nominal, always defined or sold as well it's only a few bucks here or there and not that big a deal.

Of course when the same is proposed as a reduction well the whole world is going to end, children will starve and there will be utter panic in the streets.

Ironic isn't it. Fact is throwing money at problems never fixes them. It's not a funding problem, hell this state is swimming in money. It's a money management problem and even worse a utter failure of the public to hold elected officials to the fire when money is being wasted.

Out of principal I may just register my boat next year in the cheapest state I can find. Screw 'em all.
Very well said, Maxum. You hit the nail on the head!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #23
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post

You are absolutely correct. Why would any sane business invest in building and staffing a factory because there taxes were decreased. They could offload the business to a low labor cost country and keep the tax decrease to increase their profit. Pure business 101. We have seen what unregulated capitalism will do to the economy. Not that we don't have enough regulations, but that business have found a way to get around them and the dumb bureaucratic agencies charged with enforcing the laws have gotten in bed with the company's. None of those officials or departments have been fired for the disaster they have brought upon us taxpayers.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote