Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Newfie

Cool Woodshed

Anyone been to the Woodshed yet this Spring? We were planning on making reservations for our first weekend up on the Lake and was wondering if we should do so.
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
dpg

Their good but bring lots of $$$$$$
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Newbiesaukee

We were there the other evening. Not very busy, but everything was as good as usual
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Begonezvous

Thumbs up Woodshed visit

My wife and I have a tradition of going out to eat here at least once per year during our vacation. Last year I was dissapointed with my meal and my wife didn't think hers was anything special.

We decided to go back and give it another try and I wasn't dissapointed this time. The food was excellent as was the service. Of course the ambiance is great for a nice quiet dinner. The menu is a bit pricey but worth it for the total package. 2 thumbs up!!
Begonezvous is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Begonezvous For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (07-11-2009)
Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
meteotrade

NECN's TV Diner gave the Woodshed a "Platinum Plate".

http://www.necn.com/tvdiner/Most-Rec...217699592.html
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
jniff101

Default I Love this place!

Unfortunately It's rare that I get to go there because of the prices but thats what makes it special. I love the lobster bisque. Do they still have the bread in the flower pots?
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
phoenix

yes still have the bread in the flower pots
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I hear lots of comments on how expensive it is. For around here yeah. But for anyone coming up from MA or the southern part of the state I think it is basically on par... We usually go there twice a year and normally in the fall or winter wen things are slower. Always have had a good meal. For the money.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
jniff101

i agree with you completely, its just too expensive for my family unfortunately. or at least to go every weekend
Old 07-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
jniff101

Default same owners

The people that started up the business were so nice. Are they still running it or is it under new ownership?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #11
hazelnut

Default Thumbs Up

Went to the Woodshed tonight with another couple from the Island. Our original plans were to boat over to Lago but the rain storms canceled that little plan.

Well plan "B" worked out great. I had not been in a while and I can say that the experience was great. We made reservations but we arrived 45 minutes early and were seated immediately. We sat up on the balcony overlooking the main part of the restaurant. We had a great waitress, cute, energetic and knowledgeable. She has a unique name that I can not for the life of me remember. Anyway we all had Fish mine was the Sea Bass special, others had scallops, Salmon, Swordfish. Food was great service was very good. It got pretty busy by the end of the night and our coffees/after dinner drinks took a tad too long to come out but the Manger/owner? (not sure) brought them out herself, she recognized the waitress was a bit overwhelmed for a time as a large party had come in. No harm done though it wasn't too long a wait. Overall a positive experience. It is a bit on the expensive side but the $80 Gift Certificate put a small dent in the overall tab. I highly recommend the Woodshed for that once in a special while dinner.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
trfour (07-29-2009), VitaBene (07-30-2009), wifi (07-30-2009)
Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
wishiwasthere

Default Great experience!

Three of went last Thursday. We were seated immediately at 5:00. The place was pretty empty. Sat way in the back, I didn't realize it went so far back. We weren't extremely hungry, so we split a three appetizers, (The cheese soufle was fabulous) and a Prime rib dinner with shrimp. Had some wine and a dessert. It was the perfect amount of food, And it kept the price down. The service was good too. When we left the place was packed. Very happy we went.
wishiwasthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wishiwasthere For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-30-2009)
Old 08-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #13
Alton Bay Bob

Default Lovin' the Woodshed

Last year we also had problems with the Woodshed, esp the long waits and I posted some negative comments. Well, this year was perfect!! We arrived at 6:14 for 6:15 reservations this past Saturday night and were immediately seated... In a back room that I had never been in before that was beautiful. The place was crowded, The service was impeccable. The cocktails and food was great as always. We never felt rushed but whenever we needed something our waiter was right there. In my view the prices are very fair for what you receive. i am pleased to say The Woodshed is now back as my favorite restaurant in the lakes region!
Alton Bay Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Meredith Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
The people that started up the business were so nice. Are they still running it or is it under new ownership?
No. It is under new ownership as of 2006ish. And no the new owners are not the nicest people I have encountered.
Meredith Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #15
PennyPenny

Default Rumor about Woodshed closing?

Anybody else here the same thing?
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
twoplustwo

Default stupid rumors

the Shed isn't closing and it isn't for sale. It's like a kid who's parents have shared custody after the divorce - each parent is doing what they do best and life goes on for all of them.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #17
NoBozo

Been going to the Woodshed for the past ten years or so. We are not local folks. We come up for vacation in late September for two weeks and again in January/February for a long weekend..

We have NEVER had a poor experience at the Woodshed. It is by far our favorite place for a special occasion. Restaurants seem to come and go..both in quality and longevity, but the Woodshed has been consistent.

We stay down in the Wolfeboro area so we have been to the Wolfeboro Inn over the years. There have been some good memorable visits...but none in the last few years. We have not been there in 2-3 years. The last time was in the big dining room and the experience was unspeakable. Atrocious service and screeching kids running all over the dining room without supervision.

It doesn't look like things have changed much. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #18
Bradyway

Default Woodshed

New to the Forum!!!!!. But just wanted to say that I love the Woodshed and have been going there for about 5 years now,,,, and it is my favorite restaurant...........yes maybe a little pricey but you always get what you pay for
Bradyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #19
Pineedles

Default O I made a mistake

I went to O Steak and Seafood for my expensive 10 person dinner this year. BAD BAD BAD BAD Pineedles!! I should have gone to the Woodshed, as I usually do. I won't make the same mistake again, EVER! EVER! AGAIN!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
Overlake97

Default O's Bark bigger than Bite

O Steak and Seafood is trying to be more than it can be (i.e., Expensive) in the Lakes Region, which might be excusable if the food were not so mediocre. We actually tried them the first month they were open, and it was pretty good. But the last two times that one word said it all: Mediocre food, mediocre service. Maybe they're distracted planning their new location in Concord.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
Pineedles

Exclamation distracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlake97 View Post
O Steak and Seafood is trying to be more than it can be (i.e., Expensive) in the Lakes Region, which might be excusable if the food were not so mediocre. We actually tried them the first month they were open, and it was pretty good. But the last two times that one word said it all: Mediocre food, mediocre service. Maybe they're distracted planning their new location in Concord.
Distracted is probably the right word. I have loved Canoe for years (Scot O's other restaurant, but Scott's attention is obviously going south, hence your and my bad experiences at O Steak and Seafood.

Staying on topic, I have been eating at the Woodshed through multiple owners for more than 20 years and I have never been disappointed! Hence my previous post of vowing to never stray again. I have visited a number of "new" places this summer, Lemon Grass was a very nice experience. O Steak and Seafood was not a nice experience.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:54 AM   #22
LovelyToSeeYou

Default Not planning on returning to Woodshed ever again.

This is my second visit that has been unsatisfactory. It used to be my favorite restaurant but definitely has gone down hill. There are better places to have a fine dining experience. So that is it for me with the Woodshed.
LovelyToSeeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM   #23
Newbiesaukee

The Wood Shed is where we take our guests. We have been about 10 times this year. Except for one minor glitch (crab legs too cold), everyone always had a good time. It is not perfect, their scrod and the scallops are not always the best, but it is a very pleasant overall experience. IMO the best food in the area( and our favorite nice restaurant) is Lemon Grass but not everyone likes the Asian flavor.

It is very helpful if a poster has a negative experience to describe the experience. To state you will never return certainly describes the feeling, but it is not as helpful to the other Forum members as specifics...food,service,value, etc.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #24
rrr

Thumbs up

We were there Saturday night. Two had the steak special, one swordfish and I had the scallops (which were wonderful). The onion soup was to die for - I've had it many times before and thought it was good - but this time I wasn't willing to share. The flower pot bread is a cute idea, but I personally don't love the bread - that would be my only negative. But even without the bread I was too full for dessert! All at my table were quite happy.
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #25
offmycloud

Default Woodshed better this season

I noticed a big dip in quality and service when the new owners took over but this summer it seems to have bounced back. We went three times this summer and each time it was great - just like when the Seley's owned it. It's back to the grandeur it possesed in the 80's and nothing has changed there much. Still the same great food and fun service.
offmycloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
OCDACTIVE

Default Love the shed

By far my favorite resturant for 2 decades!! Originally from Boston the Shed is not overly expensive especially for the portions and the service. The new owners are great and the resturant hasn't missed a beat. (reason being is they worked there under the past owners). They remember me by face and anytime I call on the phone. I try to bring anyone new to the area there to show them the best on the lake. I have friends across the country and they all remember their trip to the lake and especially they always mention what a great experience they have at the Shed.
Pineedles (10-13-2009)
Old 10-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #27
winniwolfe

Our family has enjoyed the Woodshed for the past 30 years. It has been and remains consistently excellent with a great atmosphere at a price you would expect for the quality, selection, setting and service. Our out of town guests are surprised to find such a restaurant "off the beaten path" and always ask to return on their next visit.
winniwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #28
phoenix

We went last night with four people. three had scrod and one had crab legs. All raved about the food. Waiter was excellent and owner did come by to ask how our meal was. First time this summer and Woodshed hasn't lost a " beat"
Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
Gatto Nero

Default Common Man buying Woodshed

I've heard rumors from several sources that The Common Man Family of Restaurants is buying, or has bought Woodshed. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #30
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
I've heard rumors from several sources that The Common Man Family of Restaurants is buying, or has bought Woodshed. Can anyone confirm or deny?
That's a BIG negative...
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shreddy For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (05-05-2010), TavernManager (05-11-2010), wifi (05-05-2010)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #31
The Big Kahuna

Default It is back

Went to the Woodshed a couple of weeks ago, party of 6, had reservations, got seated right away. Service was OK, our waitress started out slow but recovered towards the end of the meal. The food was great, like it use to be. Will definitely be going back.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote