Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
LadyJane

Default Vacation Rental "etiquette"

I've been renting a house in Meredith for the past four years for one week in the summer. It's been great ! however, the owners have decided to not rent anymore. The problem is that they didn't tell me that until yesterday and only after many attempts on my part to reach them via phone and email. They also have decided to keep my security deposit, claiming that I did damage to their refrigerator last year, which I did not. Those of you who rent your homes, what is your opinion on this, and those who are renters........what would you do? It bothers me because I was always very respectful of this person's property and took good care of it. It is unfair.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
chipj29

I would ask for some sort of evidence about the damage you caused to the refrigerator. Seems strange that they are now keeping your security deposit after something that occurred last year.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 AM   #3
nhcatrider

You are supposed to be notified within 30 days of any damages in writing. This is part of the reason why my family uses a rental agency for our ski condo, makes it much easier to control and clean.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
DBreskin

If the deposit was from last summer's rental why hadn't you received it earlier? Usually contracts stipulate return of a deposit within 30 days after conclusion of the rental period.

If the deposit was from the coming summer's rental, they have no right to use it for claims against an earlier rental.

If you have a contract for the rental, check it to determine your rights.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
Coolbreeze

I am confused. Was the security deposit that you gave them for this seasons rental or was it from last seasons rental?
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Smith Point

We’ve rented our place on Sebec Lake for years and for the most part the renters are very respectful of the lake house. As a renter you half to expect that things are going to be broken, glasses, plates or dish soap in the hot-tub. Or stuff missing cd’s, dvd’s or a Jeff Gordon bobble head. I can understand why your renters don’t rent their lake house any more, because it’s a pain in the butt! Every Sunday you half to clean your house spotless top to bottom, sheets, ss refrigerator, floors, windows etc. its not as easy as it looks. We ended up selling our lake house because it was too expensive to maintain and we didn’t use it enough to justify the cost.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smith Point For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
cillovely

I'm renting for my 6th summer this year. And that sucks, they should have told you back in January that they were not going to rent. The place I rented last year went up for sale and the guy actually emailed us to see if we might be interested.

But like the others I'm confused as to which security deposit they held. If it was last years, they should have told you right away about the fridge. And given some sort of proof. My security deposits always come back within two weeks. Never had any problem with anybody I've rented from, and I've gotten emails thanking me for how clean I left the place.

If it's this years then you should get that back. It would almost be like they are looking to get any extra money they can. Did you have any contract with them? If you do, I would almost recommend taking them to court. Even if it's a PITA to appear if you don't live close by. I had a deposit with a place last year, this was going to be our third straight year at that place, but we got a dog and she didn't allow them. She sent me back my deposit right away.

And going forward maybe rent from a real estate agency so things are better covered. This is my first year going that route. Bay Side Rentals is who I'm using.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Dad sold the C * C

I would look and see if the house is on the market.

As people have stated in other post the economy is still stagnant for many people. We had to rent 3 different houses in the past 3 years as one had to sell, the other stopped renting and is now on the market. We were lucky that they let me know as soon as I contacted them ( normally by New Years) and pointed me to their friends that rent.

I'm assuming you rolled your security deposit into a deposit for the following year?
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #9
LadyJane

We made an initial security deposit our first year, and since we were coming back, they kept it, to apply to the next year. It was understood that we would always have that last week of July. I received an email a while after we were there last year claiming that there was some kind of mark or scratch on the fridge, and they asked what kind of cleaning product I used. I told them I only used the stainless steel product that they provided there, and a soft cloth that I brought from home. There were a few dents/ scratches when I arrived. I did not add any more. I pride myself on taking very good care of any property that I rent. I always leave it clean, bring all my own soap, paper goods, sheets, etc. One of the reasons this is bothering me is because I am so conscientious and careful of other's property. And also, they are keeping my security deposit, and just told me at this late date that they're not renting anymore.
It would have been nice to know that sooner than late May. So...maybe the lesson here is to use a rental agency.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
Little Bear

I would contact the Consumer Protection Division at the Attorney General's Office in Concord. NH has very specific Landlord/Tenant laws, which may prohibit what actions the property owners have taken.

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/renting.htm
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
LadyJane (05-31-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
salty dog

This definitely sounds like a bad way to do business, although it sounds like the owners will no longer be doing any. I wonder how many other regular renters were given the same treatment? Too bad you couldn't get in touch with any of them to confer. We've been renting in West Alton for the past 4 seasons and go through Curry Realtors who have always been pleasant and forthcoming to deal with. I think we just got lucky with this place, especially with allowing Sadie, our dog, to stay. It's quaint but comfortable and always clean. There's a $50 cleaning fee and the cabin is cleaned each week at the turnover. I think this is reasonable and sort of provides a baseline for each renter coming in because it's always cleaned the same way. The same people rent each year; everything always looks as it did last stay and we've never seen any damage that we can tell. We turn our key in at the end of the week and reserve then for the next season, and our security deposit is returned within a month. We get an email in January with an attached bill for one half the rental fee which we mail in, the balance due when we pick up the key that summer. It's a shame this has happened to you, especially at this late date when it may be difficult to find a place available. Taking legal action is certainly an option but at what cost in man hours, legal costs and "agita"? Good luck in whatever you decide and in finding an alternate vacation spot.
LadyJane (05-31-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
codeman671

When we were doing rentals we notified the renters the same day they checked out if there was damage and dealt with it accordingly. We had 2 instances where partial or full security deposits were kept.

I think leaving your security deposit out there from year to year was a mistake, granted the way that the owner handled it was far from proper as well.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Tired of Waiting

Default Fair wear and tare

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane View Post
We made an initial security deposit our first year, and since we were coming back, they kept it, to apply to the next year. It was understood that we would always have that last week of July. I received an email a while after we were there last year claiming that there was some kind of mark or scratch on the fridge, and they asked what kind of cleaning product I used. I told them I only used the stainless steel product that they provided there, and a soft cloth that I brought from home. There were a few dents/ scratches when I arrived. I did not add any more. I pride myself on taking very good care of any property that I rent. I always leave it clean, bring all my own soap, paper goods, sheets, etc. One of the reasons this is bothering me is because I am so conscientious and careful of other's property. And also, they are keeping my security deposit, and just told me at this late date that they're not renting anymore.
It would have been nice to know that sooner than late May. So...maybe the lesson here is to use a rental agency.

We had a rental house and scratches and small dents fall un fair wear and tare. If the damage causes the item to not function then they may have reason to keep your money.

Like others have said contact the Attorney General's Office.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Not to get to personal here, but how much was the security deposit?

A scratch on a refrigerator door shouldn't equal more the 50$, as others have said it really just where and tare....

Personally it sounds as though the property owner, is inconsiderate at the least.

Unfortunately unless you have a contract that spells out that you will rent every year in July for a week. The owner is not responsible to continue to rent the place to you. However The security deposit should be returned and as others have said, the owner had 30 days, to either refund the security deposit or to give you an explanation to why they where not going to after your stay last summer. If they mailed you the initial letter describing the damage, they have done that notification. Now of course there should have been some follow up, both on your part and theirs on that issue. To make sure the situation was resolved to everyone mutual satisfaction.

Most people when they decide not to rent anymore will notify long time renters that they are not going to be renting anymore. Why this family did not, who knows. I personally would have started looking for another place when they weren't returning my phone calls through the winter. Especially if in the past phone calls were returned. That is a sure sign things changed.

Don't be to critical of the owners however, there may be something going on that you are not privy too, that cause them to change their minds on continuing to rent, that is tragic.

On the security deposit. Figure out if the amount of the deposit is worth the effort it might take to get it back.... and then take the steps mentioned above.
Misha888 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
camp guy

Default Vacation Rental "etiquette"

I guess one piece of advice we all could learn from this thread is that in today's world you have to document everything, so, always have your camera or cell phone or tablet with you and take pictures of everything.

Too bad life has devolved into this. It's the fault of all of us.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #16
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
"Not to get to personal here, but how much was the security deposit?..."
Is your loss enough to make it worthwhile to have an attorney write a letter to the owners?

Lawyers know how to word a letter to make things "happen".

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #17
Closetzguy

Would you consider another area of the lake? Check out our home…..http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3752514
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #18
Misha888

Default All good suggestions and input

and if you're looking to move towns, you can consider this home. http://www.vrbo.com/513538 ;0)

Last edited by Misha888; 05-30-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: added "towns"
Misha888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #19
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
When we were doing rentals we notified the renters the same day they checked out if there was damage and dealt with it accordingly. We had 2 instances where partial or full security deposits were kept.

I think leaving your security deposit out there from year to year was a mistake, granted the way that the owner handled it was far from proper as well.
We take a $600 deposit at the time of a reservation, that becomes a security deposit at the time of rental. We always send back the deposit even though folks have indicated they will be returning next year.

(In three years, the one time that I was tempted to keep the security deposit was because I never specifically stated "Do NOT deposit fish remains in the trash!" The shed where we have tenants put the trash needed a good scrubbing when those renters departed on Saturday. )
Old 05-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
LadyJane

thank you all for your input. The owner arrived when my daughter was getting ready to depart at the end of our week. They were right there in the house, had pleasant conversation, all was well. It was only several days later that he claimed there was a mark of some kind on the refrigerator door, which I assured him we didn't do. I thought it was settled, but only a few days ago he let me know the door was so damaged that it needed to be replaced ( total hogwash), but managed to fix it for $400. which took up all of our security deposit. And he supposedly decided not to rent his property anymore. It's been a bad experience. I appreciate info on other rentals, can't afford the expensive ones, but they are beautiful. Happy to see there actually are many that are still available, even at this late date.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
Misha888

Quote:
thank you all for your input. The owner arrived when my daughter was getting ready to depart at the end of our week. They were right there in the house, had pleasant conversation, all was well. It was only several days later that he claimed there was a mark of some kind on the refrigerator door, which I assured him we didn't do. I thought it was settled, but only a few days ago he let me know the door was so damaged that it needed to be replaced ( total hogwash), but managed to fix it for $400. which took up all of our security deposit. And he supposedly decided not to rent his property anymore. It's been a bad experience. I appreciate info on other rentals, can't afford the expensive ones, but they are beautiful. Happy to see there actually are many that are still available, even at this late date.
Unfortunate. The rentals I manage we charge an insurance fee, that way they renter doesn't feel slighted and will cover the cost of any damage. Luckily, we've had good renters and haven't needed to use it.

Good luck in your search. There are a lot of good ones out there.

Check your inbox.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:33 PM   #22
kauriel

Quote:
We have an affordable rental in Weirs Beach area available the last week in July or first weekend in August. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you more info.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
Kamper

I'm pretty sure deposits are supposed to be kept in an interest bearing account and you are entitled to the interest. While it may not be enough to justify a law-suit, you can roll that into any complaint you make to the appropriate authorities.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #24
LadyJane

greatly appreciate the support as well as suggestions on other rental properties. Maybe it's best to send info on that to my inbox, as a private message. Not entirely sure yet if I can get up there this summer because of medical issues, but in general, can come any week, even a 5 day, "week-day" works for me. And if it doesn't work out this summer it most surely will next summer. Can't keep me away from the lake for too long, no matter what the season !!! I was just there in January and loved it.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #25
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region
Default Same thread, different question...

We're thinking of renting a cabin over the 4th of July and found one called Proctors Lakehouse Cottages. (they have 1 cabin left for the days we want...) Does anyone know anything about that area? From what I understand, it seems to be in the middle of all the activities by the Weir, or am I understanding that wrong? Thanks for the help!
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #26
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrain View Post
We're thinking of renting a cabin over the 4th of July and found one called Proctors Lakehouse Cottages. (they have 1 cabin left for the days we want...) Does anyone know anything about that area? From what I understand, it seems to be in the middle of all the activities by the Weir, or am I understanding that wrong? Thanks for the help!
Yeah that's right next to the NASWA which can be a hopping place especially so on a holiday week. Being in the channel between the lake and Paugus bay there is a steady stream of boat traffic all day long so if you are looking for a serene, private and peaceful setting, you may want to pursue other options if available. Sadly you are late to the game so options may be limited or not available at all since most book well in advance especially for the 4th of July. Couldn't have picked a more popular time to be "at the lake"
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (06-01-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #27
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region

Can you see the fireworks from there?
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #28
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Proctor's

You may be able to see the fireworks but if you can't see the fireworks from there it is only a short walk to the publc beach at the Weirs where the fireworks are launched.

Proctor's has a nice beach and some people find the "boat parade" through the channel entertaining. The property is very well kept
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #29
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
We're thinking of renting a cabin over the 4th of July and found one called Proctors Lakehouse Cottages.
Fred, the owner, has quite the collection of Winnipesaukee ephemera. The Hotel office is like a museum of collectibles! Be sure to check it out!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #30
kauriel

Quote:
Can you see the fireworks from there?
Just a heads up Weirs Beach does their fireworks at 12am on the morning of the 4th so be prepared since you will certainly be able to hear it!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #31
goldengirl

Default Rip off

It seems to me that the owner who has decided to not rent this year has also found a reason to keep security deposits that have been held for previous renters that had planned to rent again. This is wrong and I would take him/her to small claims court. Something seems very dishonest here from the owners standpoint. Stand your ground!
goldengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goldengirl For This Useful Post:
LadyJane (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #32
LadyJane

I talked with a gal from Preferred Vacation Rentals in Center Harbor and we booked a place in Suissevale that looks like it would be a good fit for us. The beach is close, there's a playground for my granddaughter and basketball for my grandson. Instead of a security deposit there was a $59. fee that covers things if anything should go wrong. At least that is how I understood it. Where do you like going for groceries, C-store, restaurants etc. in that area? I would suppose I'd go back out to E.M. Heath in Center Harbor. Well now I'm excited !!!