Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
Capt_Stormy

Question Advice for buying a Fountain.

Hello, I am looking to buy an 07 Fountain 35 Executioner. I am seeking advice from anyone who may be able to tell me pros and cons of owning one of these. Here is the actual boat. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Capt_Stormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
NHWakesurfer

Capt I'll pass along a few thoughts on this type of boat having owned a 35 Fountain with twin screws in the past.

Before you buy one of these
1. Have it looked at by someone for a boat inspection motors, cracks in the hull etc they can have some abuse on them.
2. Test drive it if you can to make sure its as it seems and you like it
3. Its a big boat so having a good place to keep it and launch is key
4. They are costly with two motors to service/winterize etc..
5. They burn alot of gas in short time which equal big $$
6. They are limited as to what you can do with them on the water not the best for skiing, tubing etc..although I have seen folks do it
7. They are more of a go fast, jump waves, get there quick, and hang out on them types of boats.
8. They don't hold alot of people comfortably if you are going to be hitting it hard.
9. If you are going to be on Winni you'll have lots of HP that will go unused with max speeds of 45 other lakes and ocean you'll be fine
10. And getting dock space with a 35 on busy days takes a bit of work.

With all that said I loved my fountain and I'm very glad I had it for the 4 years we had it but now I'm on to a family boat for more of the water sports.

good luck with your search its a nice looking boat. I hope the list is of some help.
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Default Spam..?

OP - Any chance you're actually trying to sell that boat? You just recently joined and a quick search indicates you've done exactly the same on many other sites in the past 24 hours.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
diz (05-17-2014), NHskier (05-16-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (05-17-2014), trfour (05-16-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #4
diz

Default Good catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
OP - Any chance you're actually trying to sell that boat? You just recently joined and a quick search indicates you've done exactly the same on many other sites in the past 24 hours.
Good catch! Here's another post from another forum from a "Capt_Stormy", complete with link to the listing.

Considering buying an Island Packet. Would love advice

Hello, I am considering buying an Island Packet 27. Year 1992. Any advice on buying from private owner or advice if you have owned this type of boat would be appreciated. This is the actual boat:...
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
PaugusBayFireFighter

I echo what NHWakesurfer said, especially the fuel cost!

Spam or no spam, we love our Fountain 35 Lightning. Can't wait to launch this week.
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (05-20-2014), winnisummergal (05-17-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
I echo what NHWakesurfer said, especially the fuel cost!

Spam or no spam, we love our Fountain 35 Lightning. Can't wait to launch this week.
So curiosity has got me here... with two power plants on board, how much gas do you go through in an average day? It's got to be an awful lot. Cool boat, love the graphics, very sharp.... but I don't think I'd want to be paying for the gas it takes for a leisurely ride around the lake... OUCH!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #7
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
So curiosity has got me here... with two power plants on board, how much gas do you go through in an average day? It's got to be an awful lot. Cool boat, love the graphics, very sharp.... but I don't think I'd want to be paying for the gas it takes for a leisurely ride around the lake... OUCH!
It costs about $6-700. to fill, which lasts a couple weekends depending on the weather and company at the house. A quick blast around the lake can be expensive but it's part of the cost of owning a boat with twin 525's.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (05-20-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Average

Quote:
One person's "average day" wil be entirely different than another person's average day. In general, and there are a lot of variables, this has been my experience:

18 to 22 Ft. single I/O will get somewhere in the 4 MPG range.

22 to 25 Ft. Single I/O will average about 3 MPG when cruising at about 3000 RPM. If you read the reviews in most boating magazines that is usually the most efficient engine speed for boats in this range.

30 to 38 Foot planing boats with twin big block engines will be in the 2 MPG range.

Standard displacement cruisers in the 35 Ft. range will get about 1 MPG and cruise at 14 to 18 MPH.

Of course there are many different hull shapes and engines, and the weight of similar sized boats will differ from each manufacturer, but in general I think that these numbers are not too far off.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
Good catch! Here's another post from another forum from a "Capt_Stormy", complete with link to the listing.

Considering buying an Island Packet. Would love advice

Hello, I am considering buying an Island Packet 27. Year 1992. Any advice on buying from private owner or advice if you have owned this type of boat would be appreciated. This is the actual boat:...
I removed the link to the ad and replaced it with just the picture...
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-27-2014), Just Sold (05-18-2014), MAXUM (05-17-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (05-17-2014), ronc4424 (05-17-2014), TiltonBB (05-17-2014), trfour (05-17-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 06:56 AM   #10
MAXUM

Glad I only have a 30 gallon tank in my bow rider.. good grief that's some serious dough to put in the gas tank. Then again that Fountain isn't cheap to buy either. Way out of my budget rage for sure! I do notice that the few times I open mine up, a measly 4.3 V6 it does drink gas, but at my average cruising speed, yes right around 3K on the tach it does OK on gas.

I must say though the best paint/graphics are on all these go fast boats. There are some pretty wild ones out there and the wilder the better! I have to give the top prize to whoever owns the Spider man boat, that thing is awesome! A wee bit loud when he goes by but way cool.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Glad I only have a 30 gallon tank in my bow rider.. good grief that's some serious dough to put in the gas tank. Then again that Fountain isn't cheap to buy either. Way out of my budget rage for sure! I do notice that the few times I open mine up, a measly 4.3 V6 it does drink gas, but at my average cruising speed, yes right around 3K on the tach it does OK on gas.

I must say though the best paint/graphics are on all these go fast boats. There are some pretty wild ones out there and the wilder the better! I have to give the top prize to whoever owns the Spider man boat, that thing is awesome! A wee bit loud when he goes by but way cool.
That's my former dentist who owns the Spider Man boat, if we are talking about the same Cigarette. Quite the boat, for sure.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #12
RLW

Smile

Capt_Stormy, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Best of luck with the boat..

Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #13
salty dog

Like Maxum says, that's some serious dough to shell out for gas. Yikes I'd be into my retirement fund if I were trying to feed that beast. But cool? Absolutely! Love the graphics, the look, and oh the sound of big blocks. Makes my hairs stand up. Ever since the days of my 440 roadrunner that I wish I'd never sold....But at least with my small block mercruiser I can still afford to buy groceries!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #14
MAXUM

MMM yeah 440 six pack with a shaker hood? Heck yeah! Have any idea what one of those is worth these days fully restored? That'd be a whole separate retirement account! I'm not a huge mopar fan, but have to admit those cars were pretty cool.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
MAXUM

Quote:
That's my former dentist who owns the Spider Man boat, if we are talking about the same Cigarette. Quite the boat, for sure.
YES! That boat is so cool. He drives that thing around a lot during the summer too, don't want to know what he spends on gas... At least for us, a summer day isn't complete with out seeing the Mt Washington and Spiderman go by
Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #16
LastonBoard

Default Speeding Tickets

Just curious, has anyone been ticketed for speeding by the MP and what was the fine for the speed clocked?

Thanks
LastonBoard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 PM   #17
Pine Island Guy

Default gas calculation?

Quote:
That's my former dentist who owns the Spider Man boat
I wonder if he calculates the fuel usage in dollars/hour or teeth/hour...

Hope everyone enjoys the upcoming weekend! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #18
trfour

Post These Two...

745 hp. each, used 35 gallons per-hour ( each ) at cruising speed, 65 MPH...

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 05-20-2014 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Add Each
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
gslpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
745 hp. each, used 35 gallons per-hour ( each ) at cruising speed, 65 MPH...

Terry
you think about it, and that isn't bad at all. That is about 1 mile per gallon. i get just above 1.5 miles per gallon at best cruise around 29-36 mph on my express cruiser. Lightweight vs. moving condo. Friction on these hulls moving through water is our enemy, more than horses under the hood. Sort of like an aerodynamic Corvette getting low 30's on the highway, vs. a mid 20's mpg minivan.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:41 PM   #20
trfour

Post I Agree As Well, gslpro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslpro View Post
you think about it, and that isn't bad at all. That is about 1 mile per gallon. i get just above 1.5 miles per gallon at best cruise around 29-36 mph on my express cruiser. Lightweight vs. moving condo. Friction on these hulls moving through water is our enemy, more than horses under the hood. Sort of like an aerodynamic Corvette getting low 30's on the highway, vs. a mid 20's mpg minivan.

Pat O'Connor owned the Sonic SE High Deck pictured. He had a condo at Rowes Warf, W/ boat slip, and he could leave Boston on a Friday afternoon and be on Cape Cod to entertain Customers in about 15 minutes. He had too much money to be concerned about Gasoline.
I delivered a boat called 'Distant Thunder', it was a 46' Cougar W/ 9 and 1/2 foot beam with the engine builder to the owner from Long Island, across Long Island Sound to Stratford Connecticut in 12 minutes. Distant thunder would do 105 MPH in a 4' chop. It had 3 900 hp. Ferrara engines that used 45 gallons an hour at cruising speed ( each ), around 80 MPH. The Builder that owned Distant Thunder paid $500,000.00 for the boat and the engines, transmissions and out drives ( MerCruiser # 4 SpeedMasters ) were installed at Ferrara's on Long Island. The owner also put a larger fuel tank in it. The stock fuel tank held 400 Gallons...
Attached Images

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #21
Just Sold

Default Spider Man Sighting!

Quote:
Saw Spider Man today in Laconia near Union Diner at the Sunoco.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Just Sold For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (05-27-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #22
Lakeboater

Default Spiderman

Spiderman must of gone right to the lake after Sunoco. We saw her out by Spindle Point early yesterday afternoon. Love those graphics!
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #23
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
One person's "average day" wil be entirely different than another person's average day. In general, and there are a lot of variables, this has been my experience:

18 to 22 Ft. single I/O will get somewhere in the 4 MPG range.

Of course there are many different hull shapes and engines, and the weight of similar sized boats will differ from each manufacturer, but in general I think that these numbers are not too far off.
Formula F223 LS with 454 Magnum and 24P Revolution 4 average about 8 GPH so the 4 MPG is about right. With the factory 21P 3 blade it was in the 11GPH range or .5 mpg. Its all in the prop!

When I raise the trim a bit for a little rooster tail at 40 mph around the Meredith Neck area, I was surprise how many calls Marine patrol gets about a boat doing 100mph. So keep your tail down!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
trfour

Post Economicly Speaking...

These high performance boats aren't for everyone. Even the well healed are effected by the economy's Up's and Down's, so keep this in mind as well... Just a thought.

Terry

Old 05-29-2014, 06:35 AM   #25
PaugusBayFireFighter

Spiderman was flying through Paugus Bay yesterday just after the clouds broke. That baby purred as it flew across the bay. They were the only boat out there and they were moving!
Next weekend launch for us.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #26
Dad sold the C * C

So that is what I heard from "over the hill"

I'm on the west side of Winnisquam and heard the nice roar of power.... But saw no boat?? Then figured it was on the bay.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #27
cillovely

My son would love that Spiderman boat!!! I'll have to look for it.

$6-700 to fill!!! Yikes. I'll take our old cuddy over that any day and this year even cheaper with the bass tracker.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote