Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
feb

Default Is buying a PWC like buying a car

Toying with the idea of buying a new jetski. Online research indicates what the MSRP is. Yet is that what you pay when you go to the actual dealer or do you have to do the car buying negotiation dance. Are the dealer prices inflated like cars? Having never purchased a jetski I'm unclear if I need to negotiate or if they are just commodities where you say you want one, plop the credit card down, and drive away.
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Different markup

The markup is a lot less with a jetski than with a car or a boat so you are talking a savings of a few hundred dollars if you negotiate. I would just find a dealer that I am comfortable with, and a machine that I want, and ask them for their best price.

At different times during the year the manufacturers sometimes offer rebates and incentives that may affect the price but the season is so short here you may lose a lot of it hoping for a rebate program.

Also, getting the right dealer is important so that if something goes wrong (Say, the kids run over and ingest the water ski line) it will be important that you have the right support to take care of it. I wouldn't argue over a few dollars on a $10,000 to $14,000 purchase but rather be comfortable that I bought it at the right place.

As for using a credit card: Most places that you do business with are well aware of the points programs offered by the credit card companies and what it costs them every time someone uses a credit card for a major purchase. On a purchase that has a percentage of profit margin in the single digits using a credit card that costs the store a few percent may affect your price.

I have had several Yamaha's and they just keep getting better. HK Powersports has been excellent to deal with for the 20 years I have been doing business with them.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
EllyPoinster

Default Another "Thumbs Up" for HK Powersports

Honest, ethical folks at HK. They carry Yamaha, SeaDoo and Kawasaki so you have a choice on product.

As to discounts, you may be able to get one from the dealer at the end of the season on leftover inventory but right now I think all you will be able to take advantage of are manufacturer's incentives in lieu of an extended warranty.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #4
jbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyPoinster View Post
Honest, ethical folks at HK. They carry Yamaha, SeaDoo and Kawasaki so you have a choice on product.

As to discounts, you may be able to get one from the dealer at the end of the season on leftover inventory but right now I think all you will be able to take advantage of are manufacturer's incentives in lieu of an extended warranty.
Agree on HK. Bought our Yamaha Waverunner there. Very good leftover deal in early spring a couple of years ago. It's serviced and stored there. Both sales and service...everyone has always been great.
jbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
chipj29

As others have said, this time of year is a tough time to buy a PWC. You will most likely paying asking price/MSRP (unless you can find a leftover). And the selection might be more limited.

If you want a REAL good deal, shop in the fall when the dealer wants to put the PWC displays in storage and set up the snowmobile displays.

And as others have said, HK has been great to deal with from my perspective. Never had a problem there.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
As others have said, this time of year is a tough time to buy a PWC. You will most likely paying asking price/MSRP (unless you can find a leftover). And the selection might be more limited.

If you want a REAL good deal, shop in the fall when the dealer wants to put the PWC displays in storage and set up the snowmobile displays.

And as others have said, HK has been great to deal with from my perspective. Never had a problem there.

I got my Sea Doo from HK right after Christmas two years ago. Got a good price and Sea Doo was offering a free extended warranty.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:16 AM   #7
GTO

Default Seadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I got my Sea Doo from HK right after Christmas two years ago. Got a good price and Sea Doo was offering a free extended warranty.
Bougt my Seadoo at HK in Tilton (when it was there) a few years ago. Checked Dasilva and Irwin in Alton but got the same left over maching in Tilton, including the cover at cost, and x-tra year warranty for the better price. Had it winterized the first couple of years in Tilton with no problems. When they moved to Laconia, it turned into a nightmare. Just about every time i took the jetski out, it would randomly stall. Brought to to Laconia, they would have it for about a week and could not find the problem after running it and putting it on their computer. Got it back, same thing. Stall going 40 mph in calm water, didn't make sense. Sometimes it would start back up, other times it would not. Took it back and they still couldn't find the problem and they would have it for long periods of time becasue techs were out and more excuses. Almost the whole summer went by, trailering it back and forth. Finally, my wife drove to Dasilvas one day and descibed the problem and immediately, without even seeing the machine, said defective post (the post the key goes on) We told HK what we were told and they said we checked that and it was fine but they said they wouud try changing it anyways. To this day we have not had a problem and Dasilva has earned my business
Old 06-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Showem

I have heard a few times from dealers that after the 4th its harder for them to clear inventory so I would think that would be the time you would get a better deal?
Showem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Sue Doe-Nym

Chuck DaSilva's prices are very competitive and his service is superb. He goes out of his way to provide great customer service and frequently gets work done before promised.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (06-30-2014)
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
mhtranger

I agree with the above statement. We bought our ski from them and would recommend them to anyone.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

DaSilva and HK are both excellent dealers. Good luck with your decision!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
Marauder

Default Jet Ski

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
DaSilva and HK are both excellent dealers. Good luck with your decision!!
No problem buying a jet ski - even an older model if well taken care of - check with Chuck at DaSilva Motorsports - they service my 1997 SeaDoo and it's like brand new!
Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #13
Bumble2249

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bougt my Seadoo at HK in Tilton (when it was there) a few years ago. Checked Dasilva and Irwin in Alton but got the same left over maching in Tilton, including the cover at cost, and x-tra year warranty for the better price. Had it winterized the first couple of years in Tilton with no problems. When they moved to Laconia, it turned into a nightmare. Just about every time i took the jetski out, it would randomly stall. Brought to to Laconia, they would have it for about a week and could not find the problem after running it and putting it on their computer. Got it back, same thing. Stall going 40 mph in calm water, didn't make sense. Sometimes it would start back up, other times it would not. Took it back and they still couldn't find the problem and they would have it for long periods of time becasue techs were out and more excuses. Almost the whole summer went by, trailering it back and forth. Finally, my wife drove to Dasilvas one day and descibed the problem and immediately, without even seeing the machine, said defective post (the post the key goes on) We told HK what we were told and they said we checked that and it was fine but they said they wouud try changing it anyways. To this day we have not had a problem and Dasilva has earned my business

Yup Dasilva will tell you like it is and pull no punches. No BS. Great service department!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Shortstop

Default Happy with HK also.

I've bought 3 machines from HK in Hooksett and always serviced them there. Very happy. I saved a bit on #2 by buying a leftover from the prev year.
Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #15
rowinghelmet

I just saw a jetski at my local Costco for $2k off list price. If you're a member it might be worth checking out their program - http://www.costcoauto.com/boat/enter...2fdefault.aspx

Credit card fees can be 1-3% of the transaction. I'd use a check or cash for the best price.

I've had good luck using cash. Nothing says I'm ready to buy without a hassle like a stack of $100 bills.
rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote