Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Elizabeth

Default Need lessons on how to dock our boat

My husband and I have completed the boating class and we have our licenses. We have a pontoon boat and we’re fine out on the lake. However, we lack finesse when docking. We would love to be able to dock at town docks on a very busy day. We hesitate to try docking at the town docks on a busy day as it would probably take us an incredibly long time to dock and we would hate to damage another person's boat by doing something stupid. Does anyone know where we can get “docking lessons”? Also, what would be a reasonable amount of money to pay for “docking lessons”?
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #2
Rich

I'll tell you what people told me....

Practice, practice, practice!

Never approach the dock faster than you are willing to hit it.

I'm sure someone would be willing to go for a ride with you to give you some tips, but there is nothing like practicing on your own.

Oh wind makes a big difference.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Just do it

Here is an idea for self-service docking practice

Place two buoys, 10-50 feet apart, in an area with a safe depth for at least a 100 yard radius. You can find small (4" square) buoys, with auto-deploying weights, at fishing and boating stores. Here, you can't hit anything but the buoys with your prop.

Take practice runs up to the buoys, varying sides of the boat, wind direction and speed. This is similar to flying lessons. First, practice docking touch and go's then try bring the craft to a stop. Learn to back away or go around. This is especially useful when you make a bad approach or feel a pinge of panic. Every good captain needs several attempts now and then.

These exercises should build your confidence for executing smooth landings on smooth days. Once you get the hang of it, try a public dock and see how good you are. Weaving among boats, and squeezing into a slot without hitting expensive stuff can test your skills. Work up to it.

Know the limits of your boat. Some pontoon boats act like a sail in the wind, and don't turn well. You have to become part sailor to pilot them well when it is windy. Practice out in the open first.

May all your landings be smooth.
arttwood (05-25-2015), LIforrelaxin (04-09-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Practice, Practice, Practice! There is nothing like practicing on your own.)
A Paid Instructor would only take your money..And he would then instruct you to PRACTICE.. maneuvering the boat. TRY Practicing on your own first. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
jrc

Don't worry about how much time it takes to dock, but do worry about damage to other boats. Go slow and use fenders (bumpers)

I'd find a friend with a pontoon to get a few pointers, its different than a vee hull. If not, call the big marinas, a lot of them have licensed captains around that will help. Figure an hour or two of their time will make huge difference and really not cost too much.

The big learning curve to me was using reverse. You have to learn to put the boat reverse to stop it. There aint no brakes.

Irwin gave me an hour with one of their captains when I bought my boats, I learned that pretty much everything I knew was wrong. Sorry Dad!
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
jeffk

Default Spring lines and Wind

Practice the technique of putting the bow in, attaching a forward spring line and then powering the stern in while the forward line keeps you from going further forward. Very useful in tight situations.

Practicing and going very slow will cover most situations however windy days are a whole other story. After you practice in calm weather, take the boat out in the wind and see how it affects your boat at slow speeds.

And finally, sometimes you just have to back off and try again. No one is handing out trophies for perfect docking. Trying again is OK. Take a deep breath and resist the temptation of going too fast.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
tummyman

Get yourself a good long boat hook w/pole. This has saved me many times, especially in high winds. And can be very helpful to grab a dock or push of from another boat.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Merrymeeting

As most have said, nothing will work better than practice.

But start on a calm day. As an earlier poster stated, ideally use temporary moorings as targets.

You will find that the wind makes a HUGE difference, especially with a pontoon boat. They usually have a lot of area to catch the wind.

As another poster said, get a good boat hook (or two)

Always have at least one other deck hand to help the captain. And never forget that the captain is in charge. You can question the wisdom of their commands or decisions after you are docked or safe. But doing so in the middle of the process can be disastrous. In many situations, it will only be clear to the captain why they are asking you to do something, and more often than not, there is no time to explain why or discuss other options. By then you have run aground or hit the other boat.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
8gv

Laying it up to a dock with boats closely situated fore and aft takes skill. I am admittedly pontoon ignorant. On all the other boats I've piloted, you first approach the dock at a 30* angle untill you almost touch it, then turn the helm hard over toward the dock and give it reverse thrust to draw the stern in. Go to some docks with no boats and set out some PFD's on the dock where the "boats" would be. Practice from both sides. Find other docks that are oriented differently to the wind. Practice some more.

When your good enough without an audience, try it for real with widely spaced boats at first. You'll get good at it eventually.

One last important point:

Don't yell at hubby while docking!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
One last important point:

Don't yell at hubby while docking!

And don't let hubby yell at you while you are docking
Old 04-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Descant

Thanked 1,511 Times in 983 Posts
Default Go around

Absolutely agree about backing out and trying again. Going out in the lake and just learning to maneuver up to a cushion will help develop skills. It will also teach you a lot about what you can and cannot see that is low in the water like your hat or a man overboard.

Absolutely disagree about the boat hook. To me, that's for picking up moorings and hats, not docking. If you want to help dock, learn to throw a line to someone on the dock. This is a skill that also requires practice. BTW, it doesn't work when your lines are too short or on the wrong side of the boat.
When you dock with a boat hook, people will see that you are new and will come running to help. If you hit my boat rubrail to rubrail, or just with your rubrail against the hull, no damage. Same when you hit a piling with your rubrail. No damage. That's what pilings, fenders and rubrails are for. When you stick the pointed end of your boat hook into my boat it can cause a huge amount of damage and then stick back into your stomach and hurt you or push you overboard.

When you pull into a dock, aiming for the middle to avoid other boats, that's fine. But don't leave the boat taking up the entire middle of the dock. Sure sign of either an amateur or a rude boater. Move the boat forward or backwards by hand to leave maximum space for others. If you think you can't back out between two boats under power, no problem, just move along one side or the other by hand until you have clearance.

Sometimes, learning together isn't the best plan. Find that friend with a similar pontoon and each of you practice individually a couple of times. When you're both yelling instructions trying to protect your boat (or mine) it doesn't make boating as much fun as it does when you develop individual confidence.

Stand on the dock and watch the Mount Washington closely. They do everything that others have suggested in posts above. Go slow, use reverse to stop, throw a line to a dock person, rubrail against the pilings, turn the wheel hard over and apply power accordingly, adjust the position after you're secure at the dock. It all works the same way on small boats too.

Sorry if this sounds preachy.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
soupyjr8 (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

I wouldn't try docking at Town Docks until you are sure you can dock without hitting another boat. Windy days can be tough. I have been docking boats since I was 4 years old and on a windy day I still can have trouble.
Good luck practicing!!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
My husband and I have completed the boating class and we have our licenses. We have a pontoon boat and we’re fine out on the lake. However, we lack finesse when docking. We would love to be able to dock at town docks on a very busy day. We hesitate to try docking at the town docks on a busy day as it would probably take us an incredibly long time to dock and we would hate to damage another person's boat by doing something stupid. Does anyone know where we can get “docking lessons”? Also, what would be a reasonable amount of money to pay for “docking lessons”?
Elizabeth, you and your husband aren't alone. This will be our third season with our boat. My wife and I did the same plan as you. We both took the boating test and recieved our licenses, mostly for safety reasons, so she could be helpful when needed and not panic.(as much).
We don't get to the lake as much as others do, so when we do go out on the boat it can be like starting over every time. Before leaving the house review your maps, if you trailer, check the drain plug, start the boat (we do this because it sits between uses) be as safe as possible.
Back to docking. I do practice 'a little' and every try helps, but what I wanted to say is if your having trouble docking and no one is around you can take all the tries you need. If one other boater is present I would bet they will come over and offer a helping hand out of pure kindness to assist a fellow boater, I know this from experience. Yes it was embarrassing when I saw him walking over, but I was so moved this person did this for me. Someday my son and I will pass that act of kindness forward. I was docking in Center Harbor with my 9 year old son, and I wouldn't let him jump out of the boat with the rope, to the dock, until I got it just right. Then the only other boater came over and had my son throw him the rope and he tied it off. Thankyou sir, if your reading this.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #14
Rich

Another thing I forgot to mention, which is not always obvious, if at all possible, try dock on the side where the wind will push you INTO the dock, not away from it.

This can make a huge difference especially when at a public dock. Sometimes you have little choice, but if you are coming in for pleasure (not an emergency), then you do have a choice. So at the public docks, wait for an open spot where the wind will push you into the dock instead of away from it.

After you get more experience, you can pick and choose the open spots to take, no matter which way the wind is blowing.

If you are thinking of renting a spot on a dock to keep your boat, keep the prevailing wind in mind. I didn't do this when I picked my slip, so almost always have to fight the wind pushing me off the dock, so I had to learn quickly how to handle it. I also had to learn how to parallel park a boat between two other large boats. I'm still learning and I gladly will accept any an all help. It's nice that no matter where you go on the lake, almost everyone is helpful and friendly.

If I see someone coming to a dock, and i'm there, I always walk over to lend a hand, as I know I would always appreciate it myself. Some boats will wave me off, and say 'no thanks' (some of the bigger boats have a bow thruster and a lot of experience so they don't need help). This is only my third year on the lake so I still appreciate help so I freely offer my help to others.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #15
secondcurve

Default Controlled Crash

Remember that docking is little more than a controlled crash. For this reason it will never feel perfect like it does in a car. Everyone has the same problems but some have much more experience than others. Go to the town docks on a Saturday morning and pull in and out and then do it again and again.....
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
pcmc (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #16
MikeF-NH

Getting out on the lake very early in the season and getting around (stop and several different public docks on the lake) is very helpful for me. I dock 4-5 times per day beginning at ice out each time I'm on the lake. The docks are almost always very open at this time of year so I don't have the pressure of being watched, having other boats waiting behind me or having tight places to get into. I pick two pilings and imagine them as boats and practice getting in between them as I dock. I try to avoid the "easy" route at these times and dock on the side that has the wind pushing me away from the dock (this is the time to make mistakes). By the time Memorial Day comes around and the lake gets busy I'm much better than I was at ice out.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
pcmc (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #17
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Docking lessons

I'd love to help anyone with docking. I have experience in most type of vessels. Send me a pm. Everyone above has great advice and tips, but if you are looking for someone to talk you thru it onboard, I'd be happy to work with anyone that needs help. PM me.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WeirsBeachBoater For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (07-11-2014), GsChinadoll (04-21-2014), kauriel (05-07-2014), pcmc (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM   #18
jrc

A lot of people suggest practice, and you can't argue with practice. But you also may need instruction.
I'm not talking about a huge complicated course, just some techniques. An experienced operator or trained captain can give you a few basic approaches. Then you can practice until you master them.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #19
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Remember that docking is little more than a controlled crash.
Thanks for my chuckle for the day! Sounds funny, but when you think about it, it is so true!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
pcmc (04-09-2014), Ropetow (04-14-2014), secondcurve (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Steveo

Default Start on weekdays

Practice at public docks on weekdays, early morning is best.

Weekends are crazy and very intimidating.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveo For This Useful Post:
pcmc (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #21
Showem

Google "docking a boat" and you will find a lot of utube videos. You'll pick up some good info but I would go during the week when its quiet and just practice,take your time
Showem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Showem For This Useful Post:
pcmc (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #22
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showem View Post
Google "docking a boat" and you will find a lot of utube videos. You'll pick up some good info but I would go during the week when its quiet and just practice,take your time
Yes, great point!
I did just that and came across how to launch and load by yourself. That was priceless. If I'm alone with only one son, or with others, it's a huge help. Great idea, google everything sometimes you can find a better way.

To all, fantastic info.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #23
pcmc

Quote:
Remember that docking is little more than a controlled crash.
That is funny and realistic. I have seen some that looked like uncontrolled crashes too, oh wait, that was me.

I have gotten ice cream with the family and sat for a while watching people dock and seeing how they operate bringing the boat in and out of different situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
I'd love to help anyone with docking. I have experience in most type of vessels. Send me a pm. Everyone above has great advice and tips, but if you are looking for someone to talk you thru it onboard, I'd be happy to work with anyone that needs help. PM me.
WBB, making this public you may want to keep your schedule open now.Kidding.
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
WeirsBeachBoater (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #25
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Remember that docking is little more than a controlled crash. For this reason it will never feel perfect like it does in a car. Everyone has the same problems but some have much more experience than others. Go to the town docks on a Saturday morning and pull in and out and then do it again and again.....
This usually only happens when when there is a crowd observing.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #26
Kamper

Get enough fenders (bumpers) to put on both sides of the boat until you are more confident. One of you can move around to fend off impact with the boat hook. That person should also have on a PFD just in case (...the Marine Patrol is watching).

Go slow. Good luck. Have fun!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #27
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
This usually only happens when when there is a crowd observing.
My biggest goof-ups usually happened in front of a crowd.

Thankfully, I've also had many good moments where casual observers said I made it look easy!

So the moral of the story is, you win some and you lose some!
Old 04-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #28
Descant

Default The Chauvinist method

My wife and I share the duties, and now she drives more than I do.
However, too many boaters and the audience on the dock expect that a man will always dock perfectly, and that women can't drive boats.

Let your wife drive. If she's perfect, say "Perfect, Honey. Just like we practiced. You remembered everything."

If she makes a little misjudgment, and we all do, look at the chauvinists on the dock, shrug your shoulders and say "Close to perfect, Honey."
Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #29
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
However, too many boaters and the audience on the dock expect that a man will always dock perfectly, and that women can't drive boats.

Let your wife drive. If she's perfect, say "Perfect, Honey. Just like we practiced. You remembered everything."

If she makes a little misjudgment, and we all do, look at the chauvinists on the dock, shrug your shoulders and say "Close to perfect, Honey."
Hahaha, love this.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #30
dickiej

Go to the ramp for some laughs too! More than once, I've backed down and forgot the transom plug!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #31
winnisummergal

Default almost a disaster

I was docking rental boat for the first time and was by myself this summer. Approached dock, pulled up nice and slow, put in reverse, cranked wheel and brought rear to dock, put in neutral (I thought), jumped out with both lines to tie off.

Yep, boat was not in neutral, still in very slow reverse (hadn't clicked all the way in). I'm pulling lines and the boat is moving back, had minor panic attack, jumped on board again at last second before I got pulled into lake and got things under control. Took a little ride to calm my nerves before I approached again. I'm sure I was hysterical to watch!
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Everyone here has given great advice. But there are a few more things to state:

1. If you ever have another boater tell you that they dock perfectly every time and never make the mistake they saw you make... Laugh at them.. I have 30 years of boating experience, all over this country... dealing with all types of conditions. Yep mistakes happen and the best thing to keep in mind while docking, is do your best to mitigate the potential complications. Don't go for that tight spot up front where you will be closer to shore. Take the spot that may be a longer walk but has more room.

2. When looking for that place to dock, if you see a space that you think you can get to easily, but still feel unsure, look around, many boaters are good about lending a hand. I myself always help out around the public dock. I just have one rule... Don't expect me to tie your boat... It is not that I don't trust my skills, I just feel I don't let anyone else tie my boat, and I think every skipper should make sure his own boat is secure.

3. Realize you may have all intentions of going to Center Harbor, to go grocery shopping at Heaths, and may find the docks to crowded, to try and get in... Just remember your mission may not have gone as planned, but you got a dam nice boat ride in.

4. When you find a dock empty, take the time to practice. doing different things... I myself, when it is appropriate, like to back into a spot. It is a great skill, and when there is no risk, it is great fun to do... Yep sometimes I do really good, and impress myself, other times I have to pull out the boat hook to reach the dock.

Boat handling period is all about practice. I have driven and docked several types of boats, yes including a pontoon boat. and they all act differently. On the flip side I also took a boat one day, and spun it around in between the tight piers in Wolfboro. Sure it was only a 16' boot, but with slow movement, and hands at the ready to fend off boats anything is possible.... That day, everyone in my boat, and the people in the other boats around us realized the conditions that day, weren't going to allow any of us to back out... My boat was the smallest and easiest to get spun around first... and out I went.... with the room my boat left the others where able to move themselves around and go out front first...

Bottom line, is the boating community, is full of good people. Talk to them, let them give you advice and help you... Over time you will become quite good and docking, and wonder why you where ever nervous.
Merrymeeting (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #33
Island Girl

Default I should hate this....

Quote:

In all that is unfair in this man/woman world, I will have to admit that I love that I get a pass when I do not dock well and enjoy the compliments when I do dock well, because it is unexpected for a woman to do this "man's" job.

I know of times when the guy driving the boat gave the docking to the woman in crowded places for just this reason. We are all just a tad silly!!

IG, just watchin' that ice melt!

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #34
jazzman

I always tie a rope between the bow and stern cleats with about 10 feet of slack (which I pull into the boat). As long as you can get the bow against the dock you can reel the back end in (or the other way around if things go really bad). I also keep a docking loop on board.

http://www.theboatloop.com/boat-accessories/
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
MariaNYC (04-11-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #35
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

You can make your own with a length of aluminum pole with a hole drilled through about an inch from the end, a loop of heavy wire running through a length of garden hose, and a bolt & wing nut to go through loops at the end of the wire. You go slow like pro, then reach out and pass the loop over the dock post, and pull the boat to the dock.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #36
Descant

Default BZ Island Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
In all that is unfair in this man/woman world, I will have to admit that I love that I get a pass when I do not dock well and enjoy the compliments when I do dock well, because it is unexpected for a woman to do this "man's" job.

I know of times when the guy driving the boat gave the docking to the woman in crowded places for just this reason. We are all just a tad silly!!
The non-Navy types can Google BZ (Bravo Zulu). I know from my pilot days, air not water, that as a group, the ladies are better pilots. Gentle on the controls, calm and focused. Same for boats if they have the chance.

For the non-drivers out there, the Captains need to teach them at least how to call a "Mayday" on the VHF, not 911. Help may be in the boat 100 yards away. They'll never hear your 911 call. (Boat/US says your #1 safety gear is a PFD. #2 is your VHF.) A captain who doesn't teach emergency procedures when....happens, is a ....(fill in the blanks, this is a pass/fail course).

Back to docking lessons. In an emergency, get the boat to the dock, forget about No Wale Zones and do a controlled crash. Go in the ambulance with the EMT's. Somebody else will tie up the boat. Done it.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #37
pcmc

Great info here!
Descant, thanks for the scenarios, I wouldn't have thought of such an instance until it's over taken me.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #38
pcmc

dickiej, winnisummergal, you both may have the start of a new separate thread that only the brave shall enter. lol.
Aaahhh the memories.

( Referring back to Post 30 & 31)
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM   #39
Newbiesaukee

Quote:

If I did this, I better have my PFD on because I'd be going for a swim. A condescending "honey" doesn't go over well in my house. The last guy who referred to my wife as " honey" in a not good way had the phone ripped out of the wall in his guardhouse. This was many years ago but it taught me a lesson..

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #40
CaptJP

Default Indeed, practice is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Many of the folks who responded nailed it right on the head. Whether getting some coaching from a friend or paying for lessons, it boils down to practice. The more practice, the more intuitive it gets. When it gets intuitive, you think less about making mistakes or what other people think, and certainly will have less anxiety. If you already have the basic concepts down, take the time to go out really early or late in the day when no one is a distraction to you, pick a town dock and practice several scenarios. It's a commitment that pays off later on. Good luck!
CaptJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #41
GTO

Default to be safe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Everyone here has given great advice. But there are a few more things to state:

1. If you ever have another boater tell you that they dock perfectly every time and never make the mistake they saw you make... Laugh at them.. I have 30 years of boating experience, all over this country... dealing with all types of conditions. Yep mistakes happen and the best thing to keep in mind while docking, is do your best to mitigate the potential complications. Don't go for that tight spot up front where you will be closer to shore. Take the spot that may be a longer walk but has more room.

2. When looking for that place to dock, if you see a space that you think you can get to easily, but still feel unsure, look around, many boaters are good about lending a hand. I myself always help out around the public dock. I just have one rule... Don't expect me to tie your boat... It is not that I don't trust my skills, I just feel I don't let anyone else tie my boat, and I think every skipper should make sure his own boat is secure.

3. Realize you may have all intentions of going to Center Harbor, to go grocery shopping at Heaths, and may find the docks to crowded, to try and get in... Just remember your mission may not have gone as planned, but you got a dam nice boat ride in.

4. When you find a dock empty, take the time to practice. doing different things... I myself, when it is appropriate, like to back into a spot. It is a great skill, and when there is no risk, it is great fun to do... Yep sometimes I do really good, and impress myself, other times I have to pull out the boat hook to reach the dock.

Boat handling period is all about practice. I have driven and docked several types of boats, yes including a pontoon boat. and they all act differently. On the flip side I also took a boat one day, and spun it around in between the tight piers in Wolfboro. Sure it was only a 16' boot, but with slow movement, and hands at the ready to fend off boats anything is possible.... That day, everyone in my boat, and the people in the other boats around us realized the conditions that day, weren't going to allow any of us to back out... My boat was the smallest and easiest to get spun around first... and out I went.... with the room my boat left the others where able to move themselves around and go out front first...

Bottom line, is the boating community, is full of good people. Talk to them, let them give you advice and help you... Over time you will become quite good and docking, and wonder why you where ever nervous.
Never be afraid to ask for help. Your man card won't be revoked if you do. There are plenty of people on the public docks that are willing to take a rope for you and get you into a space
Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #42
whalebackpoint'r

Default dock wand

There are helpful videos on YouTube including some on the use of a dock wand. I don't have one but it looks interesting.
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #43
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Never be afraid to ask for help. Your man card won't be revoked if you do. There are plenty of people on the public docks that are willing to take a rope for you and get you into a space
This is so true! And remember, don't be proud and refuse to ask for help. There are plenty of yahoos out there who think they know what they're doing, and end up slamming into someone else's boat at a busy dock.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #44
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaselady View Post
This is so true! And remember, don't be proud and refuse to ask for help. There are plenty of yahoos out there who think they know what they're doing, and end up slamming into someone else's boat at a busy dock.
I have to agree with you Chaselady but way back in the late 80's on the 4th of July at the Alton town docks I did ask a boater to assist as I was pulling away from the dock. It was a very windy day. Mr. boater was sitting in his deck chair on the back of his small cruiser. He did not even acknowledge my request until I almost hit his precious boat and then he jumped up to fend me off with a real sour attitude. So there is always one jerk in the crowd unfortunately.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #45
Descant

Default Experience only goes so far

Thank you Elizabeth for this thread. When I was growing up, my father relayed every Power Squadron meeting to me. Almost every Lake Winnipesaukee cruiser had a PS flag on the transom. On the docks with boating friends, they discussed those lessons, even down to how to coil a rope. And knowing that when you attach it to a cleat, it is no longer a rope. It becomes a line. Or a painter. You don't hear that word much anymore. Anyway, with those decades of history, if not experience, I've learned some things from this discussion. BZ Elizabeth.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #46
chocophile

Default Wind!

Yes, windy days are a whole different story. I completely agree with the advice to be ready to pull back and try again. The main goal is to stay calm; practice helps with that.

I've also found over the years that each boat handles differently approaching the dock. So if (when) you get another boat, you may have to re-learn your technique.
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #47
Shortstop

Default Its all about the wind.

I agree with the prev post - it's the wind that's challenging. On a calm day (which we get about 2-3 days of that during a reg summer) you can learn to dock pretty well in about an hour....just go as slow as possible. BUT - docking in the wind can take many seasons. The key is to see a wind sock or add a flag to your boat, because - YOU MUST KNOW WHICH DIRECTION THE WIND IS BLOWING! Then make a plan, if its blowing you away from the dock, know you have to be more aggressive and get lines out fast. If its blowing you into the dock, approach slow and let the wind do the work.
Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:13 PM   #48
dickiej

I like this thread.....lots of useful info......we live on the Merrimack River in Newburyport and contend with current, tides, and wind! Talk about a challenge! With an outgoing tide and an offshore wind, you're contending with 6-7 knots of moving water......yikes! We all help each other and that seems to be key......boaters are a friendly bunch and we've all been there!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #49
jonfinn

Default Some useful links:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Dock-...ee-Simple-Tips

http://on.aol.com/video/docking-a-si...boat-517388808

http://www.boatinghowto.com/content/...-1-basics-235/

There's some good youtube vids on the topic too. For me, this info helped a lot, but nothing beats getting out there and practicing.

Early on, I'd find a quiet spot somewhere on the lake and practice maneuvering. Then I'd try the town docks on a quiet weekday afternoon.

Don't be afraid to ask for help. In my case, I'd much rather look like an incompetent boater who's concerned about doing the right thing over looking confident.
jonfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #50
RLW

Smile

Elizabeth, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Glad to have you join in the forum. I notice you have many response's to your question. in your endeavor.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #51
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
I like this thread.....lots of useful info......we live on the Merrimack River in Newburyport and contend with current, tides, and wind! Talk about a challenge! With an outgoing tide and an offshore wind, you're contending with 6-7 knots of moving water......yikes! We all help each other and that seems to be key......boaters are a friendly bunch and we've all been there!
I've been in a boat docking in the marina on that river. Wow. Talk about a challenge. If you can dock there Winnipesaukee is a cake walk!!!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 PM   #52
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
You won't find much better of an instructor. Anyone who could dock the Mt. Washington (in the good old days before it had reverse) or the mail boats, should be able to help with small boat docking!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
WeirsBeachBoater (04-17-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
Phantom

Don't Know if it was mentioned above, as I only scanned the many responses ..

Best place I found to help my wife build her confidence was using the Center Harbor Public docks midweek.

It allows a variety of entry angles and slip locations (vertical / horizontal to entry path) along with the always present variable -- WIND.

Can't beat Practice

Old 04-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #54
Rich

So the original posting was by Elizabeth, but she has only one post.

Elizabeth, did you find anything useful here? Or do you only need some in person instruction?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #55
Shreddy

I feel very comfortable docking a boat in most conditions. Obviously, wind and tightness will severely diminish anyone's confidence. Two years ago, I taught my sister how to dock the boat. We pulled about 100 feet outside of Suissevale marina in the open area, I grabbed a frisbee I had on board and threw it into the water, and then I made her simulate docking up to the frisbee so I could lean over and pick it up. We did this for at least a half hour, until she was comfortable, and then I let her bring it back into the marina and dock it with no issue. As everyone has preached...practice builds confidence, however, nobody is invincible when it comes to the art of docking and there will always be a time where things do not go according to plan. We've all been there.

The biggest point I stressed to her was that you need propulsion to steer the boat...HOWEVER, NOT A LOT. As such, since boats do not have brakes (go figure), when I dock I generally go extremely slow so I am in control. I primarily float in neutral and when I need to steer I shift to gear for a little direction and then back to neutral. When I'm docking, I may shift from neutral to gear 10+ times to control my speed and direction. This is my personal preference when conditions aren't too variable. Other times, if windy and I need full control I stay in gear with some speed and simply power in and settle with a reverse maneuver for the back end. Just my quick $.02

Last edited by Shreddy; 04-23-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Threw not through
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:00 PM   #56
Elizabeth

Smile Thank you for all the great ideas. I appreciate your responses.

Thank you all for your great advice, moral support and offers for lessons.

Last year we practiced and practiced. My concern is that we’re practicing the wrong technique. jrc captured my concern in the following post:
Irwin gave me an hour with one of their captains when I bought my boats, I learned
that pretty much everything I knew was wrong. Sorry Dad!

My husband and I have read these posts and picked up all sorts of good ideas. We’re going to try a few more weeks of practice on our own. If we don’t improve greatly within the few weeks, we will be looking to get a few “in person” lessons. Once again, thank you all for your responses.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote