Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
windsail

Default outdoor clubs

Hi I looking to join a outdoor club. I would like one that is just not all young people, I am in my 50' and enjoy hiking with groups. We want to get into winter activities also. new to the area
Thanks
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
DickR

Well, depending on your hiking ability, there is the Over The Hill Hikers. In our group, 50s would be on the younger side, but not unheard of. We are typically near or post-retirement age. The "A" group hikes mainly the NH 4000 footers, from early May thru October, with November hikes according to weather. Some hike through the winter. Today's hike was Moosilauke (4802 ft); "book" time for the ascent/descent was around six hours, but we did it comfortably in under five hours, including nearly a half hour at the top for lunch. Not bad for a bunch of "old folks."

There are "B" hikers (a bit slower, and more inclined to do the lesser peaks), and a "walking group" also.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Smith Point

Naswa Resort, Laconia, New Hampshire - Lake Winnipesaukee - Resort Review - Yo
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smith Point For This Useful Post:
windsail (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
Dave R

I use www.meetups.com to find other people with similar interests when I have time to kill while on business trips. There's usually tons of group hikes posted. Never had a bad time on a meetup. It's not a dating site.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-04-2014), windsail (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
windsail

Default hikes

Hi, That sounds great, love being the youngest lol Do they have a web page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Well, depending on your hiking ability, there is the Over The Hill Hikers. In our group, 50s would be on the younger side, but not unheard of. We are typically near or post-retirement age. The "A" group hikes mainly the NH 4000 footers, from early May thru October, with November hikes according to weather. Some hike through the winter. Today's hike was Moosilauke (4802 ft); "book" time for the ascent/descent was around six hours, but we did it comfortably in under five hours, including nearly a half hour at the top for lunch. Not bad for a bunch of "old folks."

There are "B" hikers (a bit slower, and more inclined to do the lesser peaks), and a "walking group" also.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2014, 07:05 PM   #6
DickR

OTHH site is at: http://overthehillhikers.blogspot.co...ll-hikers.html. It's only a few years out of date. You can navigate from there to the schedules for 2014.

Bear in mind that to hike with the "A" group you ought to be in fairly decent shape to sustain a reasonable pace up a typical 4000 footer. In a few instances, someone new joining the group for hike wasn't in the greatest of shape and seriously impeded the progress of the group uphill, although I haven't personally seen that. The range of hiking shape of course varies, and the group won't abandon anyone mid-hike, but we do wait periodically on a trail for everyone to regroup. A new hiker who really isn't in shape, relative to that of the group, becomes a problem for the whole group. If you've done uphill hikes of 3-4 miles (one way) over typical White Mountain trail terrain, without serious difficulty, then you likely could hike with the group.

Just to give you an idea of how long some of our day hikes can be, on occasion someone needs to "do the Bonds," meaning to cover West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff, all on the AMC's 48 NH 4000 footer list. This usually is done via a Pemigewasset Wilderness traverse, from Zealand campground to the north and ending at Lincoln Woods. You pick up also Mt Zealand on the way, bagging four of the 4000 footers in a single 20 mile, 12 hour hiking day. Another covers Mts Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, and Pierce, only 14 miles but with considerable elevation gain. Those two hikes are about as strenuous as we get. More typical, after a couple of 5-7 mile hikes to kick off the season, would be a hike of just 8-10 miles, covering just a single peak or perhaps two peaks on the same ridge.

This is a nice group to hike with. Be aware that we don't mind poking fun at anyone in the group, especially ourselves. So you need a sense of humor. That's for good reason, as we are all "gettin' on in years." Geez, if you're only in your 50s, you're still just a kid. Do you really want to hike with "old folks?"

Last edited by DickR; 06-04-2014 at 07:13 PM. Reason: more info
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
windsail

Hi thank you it sounds great! those are challenging hikes, should be fun. I'm in my late 50's, so while I could say I'm young no-one would believe me. lol
Looking forward to it.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
OTHH site is at: http://overthehillhikers.blogspot.co...ll-hikers.html. It's only a few years out of date. You can navigate from there to the schedules for 2014.

Bear in mind that to hike with the "A" group you ought to be in fairly decent shape to sustain a reasonable pace up a typical 4000 footer. In a few instances, someone new joining the group for hike wasn't in the greatest of shape and seriously impeded the progress of the group uphill, although I haven't personally seen that. The range of hiking shape of course varies, and the group won't abandon anyone mid-hike, but we do wait periodically on a trail for everyone to regroup. A new hiker who really isn't in shape, relative to that of the group, becomes a problem for the whole group. If you've done uphill hikes of 3-4 miles (one way) over typical White Mountain trail terrain, without serious difficulty, then you likely could hike with the group.

Just to give you an idea of how long some of our day hikes can be, on occasion someone needs to "do the Bonds," meaning to cover West Bond, Bond, and Bondcliff, all on the AMC's 48 NH 4000 footer list. This usually is done via a Pemigewasset Wilderness traverse, from Zealand campground to the north and ending at Lincoln Woods. You pick up also Mt Zealand on the way, bagging four of the 4000 footers in a single 20 mile, 12 hour hiking day. Another covers Mts Washington, Monroe, Eisenhower, and Pierce, only 14 miles but with considerable elevation gain. Those two hikes are about as strenuous as we get. More typical, after a couple of 5-7 mile hikes to kick off the season, would be a hike of just 8-10 miles, covering just a single peak or perhaps two peaks on the same ridge.

This is a nice group to hike with. Be aware that we don't mind poking fun at anyone in the group, especially ourselves. So you need a sense of humor. That's for good reason, as we are all "gettin' on in years." Geez, if you're only in your 50s, you're still just a kid. Do you really want to hike with "old folks?"