Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
unixdood

Default 96 Polaris SLT780 issue/question

Hi all, new here and I have a weird issue that I am really hoping someone can help me with. The jetski starts and runs great, good water circ, no overheating. Everythign works as it should. I launch into the lake and this is where it gets weird.

At idle in fwd and rev it moves fine, I give it throttle and it has a good hole shot but then.......Its almost like when your in a car and the clutch is slipping, thats what is happening to the polaris, it will start off great then the engine will over rev but the ski will stop going forward.

I am looking for any ideas on this? Where to check and what it may be? please anyone help. Dont want to go the whole summer without the ski.

Thanks
Bill
unixdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

If I understand the system correctly, which are your engine is running fine, you can launch and accelerate, but at some point, the acceleration and forward momentum slow and eventually stop, with the engine over revving.

Sounds to me like a drive train problem. Could be as simple as the impeller hub slipping... or it could be something else in the drive train. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with the particular jet ski... there could be couplers in the drive system that could be failing etc. All these of course in place, so that if you jam the pump, you break a sacrificial part before damaging the motor etc.

If you are not super mechanically minded I suggest bring the jet ski to a shop to let them evaluate it.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
unixdood

i can pull the engine or pump or whatever, Its not that im not mechanically inclined, just looking for a starting point as I have never experienced this before on any other jetski I have owned.

I know there isnt a clutch or anything, so maybe your right that the impeller is slipping but still, that should be on a spline shouldnt it?

Could it be the wear ring causing it? I didnt think so because the hole shot is fine so its got great pressure out the jet pump.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #4
SIKSUKR

Never heard of a clutch, should be direct drive. If it sounds like its cavitating I would look to see if the impeller is worn and there is too much clearance between that and the housing. If it doesn't cavitate I would look at the impeller slipping on the driveshaft.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Winnaholic

I had that same problem on a Sea Doo GTX. I tried to figure it out like you and I'm mechanically inclined, turned out to be the impeller was spinning on the spline of the drive shaft. The teeth on the spline were worn and under acceleration the impeller would slip. What got me was there was no noise that you would expect like grinding, I finally got help with it from the boys at DeSilvas, ended up replacing the drive spline and impeller. This sounds like your situation, hope the info helps.
Winnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Inspect your impeller, and the space between it and housing. Sounds like cavitation usually caused by damaged impeller. Polaris doesn't have a wear ring like seadoo.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #7
bilproject

Default coupler is bad

the coupler between the crankshaft and impeller shaft is bad. Impeller housing has to be removed with shaft and coupler untreaded from back of engine. You will need to remove spark plug and feed a small piece of rope into a cylinder to stop the motor from turning over while you break the coupler free with a pipe wrench. the coupler is right hand thread. You can find a parts breakdown on line. Once you identify the coupler you will see that the repair is not too hard. Hardest part will be finding parts as Polaris parts are no longer made. You will also need new gaskets and orings as long as you have it apart replacing the impeller would not be a bad idea.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
unixdood

thanks everyone for your input. I will be tearing down the impeller this weekend. Ill let you all know what the deal is when im done!