Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
NH_boater

Default Fortress Anchor

Anyone else using a Fortress anchor on Winni? My boat came with a an old navy anchor with a very short, very heavy 3/4" chain. I recently changed my navy over to a Fortress to improve setting and make life a little easier for my wife with anchor handling.

I tried it out on Friday, wow it hooks up fast and hard. It is a 4lb FX7 for a 23' Crownline. I put 20' of 1/4" chain. I read that too much chain can cause the fortress to reverse set and drag (long chain dragging below soft sand or mud causing the fortress to float on the bed surface). I don't think I am buying the too much chain theory. It seemed to hook up real nice for me with rode at 4:1 and 3:1. It even set at about 2:1. The fortress greatly outperforms the heavy Navy and my 8lb super hooker, it seems so far.

20' feet of chain is longer and heavier than I would like for the wife to handle but probably helps the set. Who is using a Fortress? Care to share boat and anchor size? Chain size and length? How do you like the fortress? Failures?
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default West Marine website

Here is a link to a self help video segment on anchors. Scroll down and there is text about the setup on smaller boats. Looks like you have a good combination by their suggestion: 1/4 in chain and length about the length of the boat.

Here's the link: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...r-Rode-Upgrade
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Dave R

An FX7 is a little small as a primary anchor for a 23 foot boat, but it will make a nice lunch hook. I'd move the 20 feet of chain to a bigger anchor (I can recommend a Bruce Claw style and Delta plow style of about 15 lbs, or a bigger Fortress) to use as the main and put 10 feet of chain on the FX7 for easier handling. You'll need two decent anchors if you ever go to popular sandbars.

The Navy anchor is good for scrap metal or for making interesting patterns as it drags on the lake bottom.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #4
Lakepilot

Default Anchor info

Here are some sites I've found useful for anchor info.

1. Super Max: http://www.creativemarine.com/catalog/text/anchor.html

2. Test results for various anchors: http://anchors.synthasite.com/anchor-tests.php

3. More Test results (better than item 2 above): http://www.ultra-sidra.com/doc/segel...ors-tested.pdf

4. Rocna anchor: http://www.rocna.com/assets/Uploads/...pperreview.pdf

5. Another anchor report: http://www.web4homes.com/c380/anchors.htm

6. A Mushroom anchor: http://www.annesanchors.com/seating.html (I thing these normally have to be pretty big for overnight holding.)

7. If you want the math: http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/ro...r/anchor_b.htm
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
NoRegrets

We swapped out a galvanized Danforth anchor for the Fortress once we saw one of our friends use it. It sticks like glue and sets so much better than our original anchor with the same rope and chain. It is lightweight and easy to deploy.

We are on a 34 foot Searay.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
jrc

Most new cruisers come with the delta or a clone of it. I think it's a good universal anchor, especially if you have a windlass and plenty of chain.

When I had a 26' bow rider I used a 9lb super hooker with 6' of chain. It was good in sand and big rocks. It was pretty good in mud, but would slowly drag if windy. It sucked in gravel, would never set well or just skip along.

I also had a 13lb super hooker, but it did not fit in the anchor locker so I only used it when I had too. This is now my back anchor for my cruiser.

The fortress is a lot lighter and weaker than a super hooker, making handling easier. But in big rocks, anchors get stuck. I've had to power out anchors with the the boat motor before. I'm afraid what that would do to an expensive aluminum anchor.

I'm almost afraid to write this at the beginning of the season, but so far I've only lost one anchor to the rocky bottom of Winnipesaukee. All the rest eventually came up.

Last edited by jrc; 05-16-2011 at 10:21 AM. Reason: forgot the "not" as in not fit in the anchor locker.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
NoRegrets

Good point JRC. The Fortress is used for the stern. We have the delta type as the bow anchor.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #8
jrc

Actually as I typed the last, I started thinking that maybe a nice light Fortress would make a better stern anchor. I only use a stern at sandbars so no worries about bending.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Pricestavern

Default Fortress

We have a 20' Key West and use a 13# fortress with 15' chain as our main anchor and an 8# fortress as a stern/spare anchor.

The 13# is a bit oversized for our 20 footer, but if I need to toss it in an emergency when the Broads are kicking up, I want something that I know is going to hold.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Digger

Interesting none of the tests posted above include a "digger" anchor. That is what i have used with excellent results and no chain required...

http://www.diggeranchor.com/

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

I didn't know what a Fortress Anchor was, turns out we have two.

This is what it looks like for those of us who don't know the names.
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Rattlesnake Guy

But then when I looked for a picture of a Danforth Anchor I knew I was in over my head. So what's the difference?
Attached Images

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

From what I can tell RG,a Fortress and a Danforth are both fluke style anchors.I think its a little akin to Kleenex as both are the manufacturer name of a fluke style anchor and have sort of taken on the proper name as the type of anchor.Did that make any sense?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Danforth and Fortress are both brands that employ the same basic anchor design concept (fluke)

Most people consider the steel welded Danforth to be superior to the lighter weight aluminum Fortress that is bolted together.

Both have pros and cons, and since most people on the lake are not anchoring overnight or for extended periods, it's probably a draw.

I carry 3 Danforth's. A small lunch hook, and two larger main anchors. This is overall for my 24' cuddy, but they have more value on the boat than in the garage.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
Lakepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Actually as I typed the last, I started thinking that maybe a nice light Fortress would make a better stern anchor. I only use a stern at sandbars so no worries about bending.
I never anchor any of our Winni based boats, but we have a Whaler in Florida I do anchor often. I have two Danforth anchors. One for the bow and the smaller one for the stern to hold it off the beach. The larger Danforth holds great no matter what. The smaller stern anchor doesn't work very well at all when there's a moderate breeze. I'm going to buy a bigger Danforth for the stern next season.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Winni Boater 17 Years

Default Fortress Anchor

I have two Fortress Anchors on my 32 Carver Aft Cabin, one main, one aft. They work fine and are a must without a windless.

I bought them in 1992 and they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. I have replaced various parts including the shank, after a boat went by my boat and caught it, bending it a bit.

Yep, they are expensive but worth it, in my opinion.
Winni Boater 17 Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
NoRegrets

The can set the angle for the Fortress for mud / clay, sand, or rock (different angles). You can not do that with the danforth anchor.

We found the Fortress also has a longer "spike" and digs firmly in the lake bottom. It also catches rocks with no problem.

We anchor all season long and 95% of the time the Fortress stern anchor grabs the first time. With the Danforth we were probably getting 60% success on the first attempt. Well worth the extra money for the Fortress.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
NoBozo

Anchors and Anchoring have always been a controversial topic among those who boat "seriously".

The Danforth anchor was developed before and during WWII. They were used on LSTs (Landing Ship Tank) during beach landings during invasions. They were dropped off the stern of the ship as they approached the beach, and were used to haul the ship Back OFF the beach after they had discharged their cargo of trucks, tanks, and other heavy equipment.

They were made of Forged Steel. The Danforth "Hi-Tensile" is still made of forged steel. Before Danforth gave up the patent, they were the only show in town that actually worked.

IMHO... Most of the anchors sold to "boaters" today are merely pretenders. An alternative for use in coastal or offshore cruising, would be the CQR Plow anchor. I carried both on my salt water boats (Sail) and I have a Danforth on my 20' sportboat. NB

BTW: There is no single anchor that is good for ALL anchoring and bottom conditions. You pick the anchor that suits the conditions you will most likely anchor in. Danforth types don't like rocky bottoms.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...10391&id=33872
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #19
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Interesting none of the tests posted above include a "digger" anchor. That is what i have used with excellent results and no chain required...

http://www.diggeranchor.com/

Dan

Cool anchor, who's the jerk who pulls the rope?

"Just a "jerk" on the rope when pulling up anchor....."
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-16-2011), NoBozo (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
jrc

RG, The big difference is material. Most Danforth clone fluke anchors are steel and the Fortress anchors are aluminum.

Given that the primary holding power of fluke anchors is provided by the area of the fluke once dug in, the aluminum provides the same area with less weight.

They also tout ease of disassembly, adjustable fluke angle and sharper points as Fortress benefits.

Last edited by jrc; 05-16-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Cool anchor, who's the jerk who pulls the rope?

"Just a "jerk" on the rope when pulling up anchor....."

Excellent observation. Imagine you are at anchor in rough conditions (your engine has died) with a little wave action...and low and behold.. The bow of the boat comes up on a wave.... and JERKS the anchor....

YO Edith..make me another cocktail. NB
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Excellent observation. Imagine you are at anchor in rough conditions (your engine has died) with a little wave action...and low and behold.. The bow of the boat comes up on a wave.... and JERKS the anchor....

YO Edith..make me another cocktail. NB
Just an fyi... the anchor does not work the way you think. Jerking on the rope or a wave cannot dislodge the anchor. You must be directly in line and over the anchor before you "jerk" the rope. It really does work well...really!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
NoBozo

I guess I should enlighten those who doubt...: A little inside information that has been available almost since the beginning on the Design of the Danforth Anchor.

The sucess of this anchor has been recognized over the many decades: The Area of the flukes: The Shape of the flukes: The Sharpness of the flukes....and last but not least..the Strength of the flukes.

MOST importantly the Angle between the shank and the flukes. I think the angle is 21 degrees. Change that angle..... and 70 years of Engineering goes out the window. The wanabees are trying to reinvent the wheel. NB
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
NoBozo

I thought I might point out a major difference between a Danforth "Hi-Tensile" and a Danforth "Standard" anchor. I apologize to those of you who are less technically inclined.

The flukes of the "Hi-Tensile" are "Drop Forged" steel. They are "Pounded" into shape with a very big hammer while hot...much like a Fine Sword is made. The flukes of the Danforth "Standard" are Stamped Steel and then bent to shape. I'm talking about the turned up ridge (backbone of the fluke) that stiffens the fluke and prevents the fluke from bending.

"Drop Forged" is FAR Superior to "Stamped Steel"..hence the extra cost.

The Pretenders are NOT Drop Forging their anchors because it is expensive. Aluminum anchors..??....well...it's your boat.

http://www.danforthanchors.com/
Old 05-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
NH_boater

Default Fortress Anchor

I selected the Fortress because of the strong reputation and for the ease of use at sandbars, a little lighter and easier to manage for my wife. She tends to drop and pull the anchor as I position the boat. I do have a larger, steel danforth aboard should I get caught in a storm that would require me to anchor for safety. That being said, the US Navy and US Coast Guard are using fortress anchors on many of their 40' patrol boats, after much testing.

I recognize the marketing aspect of the USN and USCG endorsements but their use seem to be quite real. I have heard of bent flukes after severe pulls but I suspect that these are extreme cases. Reaching 4-5000 lbs of pull is impressive for any anchor.

Quote from Navagear site: "The Voiles et Voiliers crew was stunned by the performance of the aluminum Fortress model FX-37. This anchor held over 7,200 lbs., which was 3,000 lbs. greater than the second best anchor in the test. Just as astonishing was the fact that the 22 lb. Fortress FX-37 was 30% lighter in weight. The crew determined that its holding power was similar to what would be needed by a 40′ yacht during a hurricane.

Brian Sheehan, spokesman for Fortress Marine Anchors, commented, "We were not too surprised by these test results, particularly since we have an old, damaged FX-37 model in our lobby that was returned by a customer after Hurricane Andrew. This FX-37 held a 42′ Silverton in 140+ knot winds that lasted several hours. Now that was really surprising."

The Fortress FX-37 has been used as the primary anchor for many years aboard the US Coast Guard’s 40′ range of patrol boats. Most recently, it was selected for the brand new 45′ Response Boat Medium (RB-M)."

I have only used the thing for an afternoon of tests but the thing was impressive, setting much faster and harder than my super hooker in mud and sand. In many sandy bottom tests, the fortress seems to blow away the hi tensile strength Danforth. Either would be 10x-100x overkill for my daily anchoring needs. I do, of course, want to ensure that I have adequate anchorage should an emergency arise.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #26
NoBozo

Well Said NHB. My experience has been in salt water (Sail) over 30+ years. As I have said previously in this thread, opinions vary among those who boat seriously. I have cruised coastwise New England from Essex, CT to Bar Harbor, ME. I have also single handed from Newport to Bermuda and return in 1979 and 1981 in the Bermuda 1-2. NB
Old 05-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #27
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Well Said NHB. My experience has been in salt water (Sail) over 30+ years. As I have said previously in this thread, opinions vary among those who boat seriously. I have cruised coastwise New England from Essex, CT to Bar Harbor, ME. I have also single handed from Newport to Bermuda and return in 1979 and 1981 in the Bermuda 1-2. NB
Wow, impressive for sure. I have always admired such experience, especially single-handed runs. Me, just banging around the lake.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #28
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
An FX7 is a little small as a primary anchor for a 23 foot boat, but it will make a nice lunch hook.
You are correct. I was originally planning to upsize 1 or 2 sizes, still light, but the FX-7 is the largest that would fit in the anchor locker. Since the purpose is just a general lunch hook at sandbars or the occasional deep water swim, I figured the 7 is good for what I want, and I wanted easy in/out using the locker. I am considering getting an upsized delta or Manson supreme for a serious hook. This would also give me diversity when I want to hook up in rocks or hard bottoms.

Thanks all for the input.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #29
Cobalt 25

I stopped using Danforths about 15 years ago, finding that Fortress anchors are far superior. In most anchoring situations their ease of use and holding power are great. Although most of our boating takes place in the ocean, Fortress anchors have worked well for us on Winni, too.

For exposed overnight anchorages in the ocean I use a CQR anchor. This heavy duty anchor, by the way, was found in some rocks in ten feet of water while I was snorkeling near Bear Island. It was in excellent condition and sold for about $150 at West Marine! Someone must have been in a real hurry to leave it behind. Don't even THINK about claiming it was yours! http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...lies/smile.gif

Peter
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #30
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
For exposed overnight anchorages in the ocean I use a CQR anchor. This heavy duty anchor, by the way, was found in some rocks in ten feet of water while I was snorkeling near Bear Island. It was in excellent condition and sold for about $150 at West Marine! Someone must have been in a real hurry to leave it behind. Don't even THINK about claiming it was yours! http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...lies/smile.gif

Peter
It is mine. I lost it near bear. I can describe it too to prove its mine: galvanized steel, hinged shank, a little rusty, plow on one end and a hole on the other end, plow is a bit scratched. May or may not have been found with my chain attached. Found jammed under a rock. I was in a real hurry.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #31
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

The fortress is a lot lighter and weaker than a super hooker, making handling easier. But in big rocks, anchors get stuck. I've had to power out anchors with the the boat motor before. I'm afraid what that would do to an expensive aluminum anchor.
They have a lifetime warranty. Bend it and they'll take care of it.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote