Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Floor refinishing?

I need to have our pine floors refinished this spring at the island. The original water based matte finish is wearing off (6 years old, probably should have been done 2 years ago)and we have plenty of dings that need to be sanded down. Does anyone have recommendations in the area?

They either need to have a boat, or I can get them out there with gear depending on how many days access is needed. I definitely need a hard, shiny finish this time around...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
ArborTech

Default Floor refininshing

My house was just done prior to us buying it and it has held up well (even with dogs and toddlers). The company that did the floors was Konopka and they are well known. I know they also do island work because I've seen them loading all their gear into boats as I was doing the same out at Harilla Landing. Our babysitter's husband also works for them. His name is Keith. You can say Courtney from ArborTech Tree Care reffered you. Good luck.

Konopka Floor Sanding 603.435.6129
http://www.konopkafloorsanding.com/
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
eric richard

Thumbs up floor refinishing

hi my name is eric from Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement and we refinish floors and also have other services we provide. feel free to call me at (603) 509-3880 and ask for eric.

thank you
Eric Richard
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArborTech View Post
My house was just done prior to us buying it and it has held up well (even with dogs and toddlers). The company that did the floors was Konopka and they are well known. I know they also do island work because I've seen them loading all their gear into boats as I was doing the same out at Harilla Landing. Our babysitter's husband also works for them. His name is Keith. You can say Courtney from ArborTech Tree Care reffered you. Good luck.

Konopka Floor Sanding 603.435.6129
http://www.konopkafloorsanding.com/
I will second the recomendation of Konopka. Have been a leader in the area for years.

ArborTech, would that be tall, thin Keith? Small world. Nice Guy and his wife is a sweetheart. Friend of mine used to work with him over at Konopka, that is how I met them.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #5
codeman671

At $2.75+ a square foot Konopka sounds extremely expensive for a sand and refinish on 1000 square feet +/-. Just talked to them. I had one quote out of Mass at $1.25 per sqft. I dont mind paying for quality, but being that there is one day of sanding, prep, and first coat and a few lesser trips for light sand and recoats that seems very rich to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
At $2.75+ a square foot Konopka sounds extremely expensive for a sand and refinish on 1000 square feet +/-. Just talked to them. I had one quote out of Mass at $1.25 per sqft. I dont mind paying for quality, but being that there is one day of sanding, prep, and first coat and a few lesser trips for light sand and recoats that seems very rich to me.
$1.25 a square foot is really inexpensive, at least for my area (Sunapee area). Of the 5 companies that we have/do dealt/deal with, not a single one is under $2.25 a foot. Konopka has always been at the top of the scale in pricing, but the work speaks for itself.

Just offering a comparison, don't blame you for shopping it, if you are not comfortable with the cost.

There are major differences in quality from one company to the next, would recommend getting some refs and maybe a chance to look a floor over. One company over here charges $2.60 a foot and does a terrible job, from sanding to finish to overall control of dust and equipment, just awful.

Good luck on your project.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
RLW

Quote:

One BIG thing is, you are on an island and that must add on a considerable amount of extra $$$$. Those dollars are added into the price per square foot.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #8
ArborTech

Default Small World

That is the Kieth I was refering to. Small world. I think their work does speak for itself. Other guy may charge half, but your likely to get half the quality. Good Luck!
ArborTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
sky's

Quote:
some of these comments kill me. we all want "to save a buck" however you are buying a service not a product big difference. Konopka did my parents floor in Sandwhic and did an excellent job and as a contractor myself would use them on any of my jobs. you are not buying a car you are paying for service and there service is at the top so stop crying over a couple of bucks. you get what you pay for. that should stir things up!
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #10
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
some of these comments kill me. we all want "to save a buck" however you are buying a service not a product big difference. Konopka did my parents floor in Sandwhic and did an excellent job and as a contractor myself would use them on any of my jobs. you are not buying a car you are paying for service and there service is at the top so stop crying over a couple of bucks. you get what you pay for. that should stir things up!
The math is pretty simple. $1250 vs $2750. Wouldn't you check around to make sure you werent getting hosed? At about $4k installed I could install a new floor right over what is there (which is feasible in my application), in any color I want that would last a lot longer than refinished pine.

You dont think that $2750 for 1 full day and a few partial days seems like a lot for labor? Materials are minimal. Being a business owner with 20 employees and coming from a construction background I see what goes into it. I never said anything bad about Konopka, just questioned the price. You dont think someone else can do a high quality job for less?

I agree that quality comes with a price. I was quoted $20k and $10k last season to paint the entire inside of my house. I was also quoted $6k by someone else to do the same job. And you know what? The painter at $6k did a beautiful, high quality job. Great guy, honest as the day is long, clean and thorough. Did shopping around benefit me? You bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
you get what you pay for
Not even close to being true. I am still battling it out with a tile guy on a crappy, high priced job he did a few months ago. He was on thee higher end as far as price, had references and a portfolio of work. Do you know what I got???? A pathetic job that took 2+ months that is still not correct and was over budget by a long shot. This was a simple, one week job on a shower.

I haven't ruled out Konopka by any means, I was looking for a reference and I got that. He is in the area, has good references and so far I have a good comfort level from the responses I have gotten. I haven't done anything yet because we cant get there for another month.

That should stir things up!

Last edited by codeman671; 03-13-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

Codeman,
Well said. If price was the only indicator it would be easy. It is rarely easy buying a service in which you can't tell how you did until it is over. Also, as in most things in life, Cars, houses, education, food, health care, boats etc, everyone does not need to spend the most for everything to satisfy their needs and budget.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #12
dpg

Eric Richard: What do you charge a sq. ft. ?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
sky's

Quote:
The math is pretty simple. $1250 vs $2750. Wouldn't you check around to make sure you werent getting hosed? At about $4k installed I could install a new floor right over what is there (which is feasible in my application), in any color I want that would last a lot longer than refinished pine.

You dont think that $2750 for 1 full day and a few partial days seems like a lot for labor? Materials are minimal. Being a business owner with 20 employees and coming from a construction background I see what goes into it. I never said anything bad about Konopka, just questioned the price. You dont think someone else can do a high quality job for less?

I agree that quality comes with a price. I was quoted $20k and $10k last season to paint the entire inside of my house. I was also quoted $6k by someone else to do the same job. And you know what? The painter at $6k did a beautiful, high quality job. Great guy, honest as the day is long, clean and thorough. Did shopping around benefit me? You bet.

Not even close to being true. I am still battling it out with a tile guy on a crappy, high priced job he did a few months ago. He was on thee higher end as far as price, had references and a portfolio of work. Do you know what I got???? A pathetic job that took 2+ months that is still not correct and was over budget by a long shot. This was a simple, one week job on a shower.

I haven't ruled out Konopka by any means, I was looking for a reference and I got that. He is in the area, has good references and so far I have a good comfort level from the responses I have gotten. I haven't done anything yet because we cant get there for another month.

That should stir things up!
my apoligies if i came on to harsh.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
eric richard

Smile refinish flooring

Hi dpg i charge $1.00 a sq ft for refinishing that is sanding and 3 coats and $2.00 a sq ft for new install sanded with 3 coats of polly. there is other services i provide also.
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote