Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
GTO

Default Charging battery

Do you need to disconnect the battery from the machine in order to give it trickle charges?
Old 07-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Lakeboater

Default Charging

You don't need to disconnect the battery for a trickle charge but don't put a jump on the battery while it is connected.... risk frying the regulator $$$
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
nhcatrider

Both of ours have a plug for a battery tender, I just switch them every week or so from one to the other. Easiest solution for us seeing as how the battery in my sled is crammed in and a real pleasure to get at. I also leave them connected to the sled.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
GTO

Default So,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
Both of ours have a plug for a battery tender, I just switch them every week or so from one to the other. Easiest solution for us seeing as how the battery in my sled is crammed in and a real pleasure to get at. I also leave them connected to the sled.
So, I disconnected one of the batteries today and put it on trickle charge and the meter said fully charged right away. Wouldn't I juS.t be able to start he machines, let them run a few minutes and keep them charged that way? Or does that defeat the purPose of getting them summerized? Disconnecting my batteries is a pain in the ---
Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
SAB1

I don't think you would be able to run the machines long enough to replace the charge. It takes time for that and they would definitely overheat before that occurred. No need to start them in the off season if they were to bed correctly in the spring. I Put mine away in April and run a battery tender on them in August and again right before the season starts.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
GTO

Default Battery tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I don't think you would be able to run the machines long enough to replace the charge. It takes time for that and they would definitely overheat before that occurred. No need to start them in the off season if they were to bed correctly in the spring. I Put mine away in April and run a battery tender on them in August and again right before the season starts.
Someone just told me about battery tenders. Don't you still have to disconnect the battery before putting the clips on for the tender?
Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Someone just told me about battery tenders. Don't you still have to disconnect the battery before putting the clips on for the tender?
No, as a matter of fact "battery tender" makes a ring terminal harness (about 18") that can be left on the battery all the time.

http://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...ery+connection

I use them on my snowmobiles and boats. This connection can also be used with a solar tender which works well on the boat.

Dan
GTO (07-14-2015), Par Four (07-16-2015)