Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2015, 08:03 PM   #1
kawishiwi

Default 50%?

I took my first lap around long island in my new boat. Not busy at all. I passed by 4 boats, head to head, in buoyed channels. 2 of the 4 reduced speed to headway speed, as I did all 4 times, and 2 did not. They were a max of 100 ft away. Fortunately it wasnt a problem. As a newbie on Winni I am wondering if this will be what I should expect? Will the 30 footers just blow it off too. In 17 ft of tin I've gotta take that pretty seriously.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
glennsteely

Default Cant answer, but can welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
i took my first lap around long island in my new boat. Not busy at all. I passed by 4 boats, head to head, in buoyed channels. 2 of the 4 reduced speed to headway speed, as i did all 4 times, and 2 did not. They were a max of 100 ft away. Fortunately it wasnt a problem. As a newbie on winni i am wondering if this will be what i should expect? Will the 30 footers just blow it off too. In 17 ft of tin i've gotta take that pretty seriously.
welcome to the lake, not sure about the answer to your question, but can tell you, you will have a ball out there on the big lake, it is the most beautiful spot in the world, i have always enjoyed boating in spring and fall, when there isnt so many "wild, non resident, weekend warriors" out there....way more peaceful and quiet, plus......minus the winnipesaukee experienced!!
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #3
Phantom

kawishiwi -

From your description, I am guessing that you are referring to an area called the "Six Pak" (three solid reds/ 3 solid blacks) off East Point Long island.

For this area, I think your thread subject line is most appropriate 50% !

There are many times that two boats will pass head to head in this area when the oncoming crafts recognize the situation and "hug" their respective sides. Doesn't make it right, but it is a reality.

With that said, any good skipper would see that you are only a 17' boat and should adjust their wake (to headway) accordingly.

Also -- as you are a new boater -- keep in mind that the Lake Markers are "for safe deep water passage" ... some sticks obviously mark rocks and hazards others simply mark off shallow water (a relative term). Being a 17' boat has its advantages ....for as you learn your local area well ....you will not necessarily have to follow the prescribed marker route as you draft very little.

The best example I like to use for this is FL#1 .... as you depart the Weirs Channel as FL#1 has an accompanying black top one should stay on the Meredith Bay side of the maker ---- as you watch traffic you will notice that only the deep draw Cruisers typically abide by this.

The reality is there are no rock hazards in that area and FL#1 is denoting a shallower area -- typically 6- 10' of water at normal lake level. I am completely confident of this as I was formally docked on that shoreline.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:47 AM   #4
Knomad

Not everyone on the lake will follow the 150' rule, so you need to stay alert and be prepared to adjust your course so you meet the wake at a 45 degree angle. The worst offenders are those people who just "slow down" and actually put out an even bigger wake than they would if they stayed up on plane.
The best advice is to try to stay as far away as possible when passing another boat.
Knomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 AM   #5
Dave R

On the water, 150 feet is not very far, maybe your estimate is wrong. Either way 100 feet is plenty of room, don't sweat it, it's just a made up number (yeah, I know water ski ropes are supposedly 75 feet long) that could just as easily be 50 feet and not something to get worked up over when other people don't estimate 150 feet the same way you do. Just enjoy the lovely lake and have fun watching people ignore the rules, it can be entertaining.

In my experience, boaters north and east of LI seem to take the 150 rule as a suggestion, not an absolute and don't seem bothered by safely passing each other at less separation. Perhaps it's because there are so many narrow channels up that way and light MP presence; it's really like an entirely different lake compared to Meredith Bay, for instance. Go boating on any of the small lakes in NH, or any body of water anywhere else in the world and note that almost no one cares about passing within 150 feet of each other at speed.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Agreed

Dave R said it all just right.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
whalebackpoint'r

It's easy to estimate your distance, just think about a football field, goal line to the 50 yard line is 150'. And it not just passing boat to boat distance, 150' from shore, swimmers, docks, islands, rafts, kayaks, water skiers, etc.

Way too many boaters don't have a clue what 150' looks like, or just don't care.

Have fun, but keep a close eye on the clowns out there. They're everywhere!
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whalebackpoint'r For This Useful Post:
Misha888 (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Shortstop

Default The 6-pak is ok.

I asked a Marine Patrol officer if he thought there was enough space for two boats hugging the outside to pass on plane and he said YES.
Shortstop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shortstop For This Useful Post:
Dave R (06-08-2015), Phantom (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstop View Post
I asked a Marine Patrol officer if he thought there was enough space for two boats hugging the outside to pass on plane and he said YES.
Shortstop --

Great way to go to the "source" ..... even so, I think that particular area is one of "subjective" judgment by the individual MP watching. One may say it's fine, the next your debating a ticket.

The real point was that kawishiwi was in a smal 17' boat and there was a basic 50 - 50 split of skippers with just a plane lack of common courtesy for a smaller boat that cannot deviate course (due to the markers).

Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

I am in agreement here. Use to launch at many smaller lakes and rivers in NH. Rarely have I seen anyone adhering to the 150 rule as many bodies of water may not allow to boats two travel at 150' or more. Some lake such as big island pond and Wicwas has islands to make it almost impossible to boat within 150 feet. Yet it has never been a problem.

The problem is on the 'Walmart' side of the lake where most of the tourists bring their boats or rent. I actually feel safer in the 'boros. I'd rather 'paddle', watersports on Winnisquam where I fell safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
On the water, 150 feet is not very far, maybe your estimate is wrong. Either way 100 feet is plenty of room, don't sweat it, it's just a made up number (yeah, I know water ski ropes are supposedly 75 feet long) that could just as easily be 50 feet and not something to get worked up over when other people don't estimate 150 feet the same way you do. Just enjoy the lovely lake and have fun watching people ignore the rules, it can be entertaining.

In my experience, boaters north and east of LI seem to take the 150 rule as a suggestion, not an absolute and don't seem bothered by safely passing each other at less separation. Perhaps it's because there are so many narrow channels up that way and light MP presence; it's really like an entirely different lake compared to Meredith Bay, for instance. Go boating on any of the small lakes in NH, or any body of water anywhere else in the world and note that almost no one cares about passing within 150 feet of each other at speed.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #11
kawishiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Shortstop --

Great way to go to the "source" ..... even so, I think that particular area is one of "subjective" judgment by the individual MP watching. One may say it's fine, the next your debating a ticket.

The real point was that kawishiwi was in a smal 17' boat and there was a basic 50 - 50 split of skippers with just a plane lack of common courtesy for a smaller boat that cannot deviate course (due to the markers).

Interesting responses so far! Some additional detail...the smallest boat I encountered was the only boat I met in the 6 pack and it came off plane. It was one with the wheelhouse cabin. In fact the two that didnt slow were the bigger boats. As a former golfer I judge distances quite well and my 54 yr old arm could have thrown a football into the passing boats. I doubt I could throw 50 yds/150 ft when i was 24 but I could have hit each passing boat. Hmmm...an idea...Ill throw footballs at the rule breakers and when they complain I hit them with a football the MP will have to ticket them since, by definition, they were within 150ft
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote