Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
Water Camper

Default What do I say

What do I say to a friend who has just posted pictures on facebook of his underage kids driving a power boat ?
He is a new member of a local boating club.
He and his wife just recently took their boating safety course and are not previously regular boaters.
I feel I need to say something for their and everyone else's safety, but am at a loss as to how to approach this subject.

Thank You in advance for any advice.
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
brk-lnt

If they were experienced boaters, I'd say it was nice that they were teaching their kids how to (hopefully) properly handle a boat and read the water.

But, since they're new, they need to concentrate on learning on their own first. There are no "roads" on the water, things can come at you from any direction. Until you learn how to properly navigate and handle yourself in that environment you shouldn't be turning the controls over to a child.

For a specific "what to say", I'd suggest something like "I saw the picture you posted, just wanted to let you know that it's illegal for someone underage to operate a boat and the MP's have been known to give out tickets for that sort of thing. Posting evidence of the incident is probably not a good idea either."

I'd also probably mention "I would have guessed they would have covered this in your boating safety course, but maybe not! Let me know if you have any questions about boating rules/regs and common courtesy stuff on the lake."
Old 05-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
znh

Are the adults on the boat while the kids are driving? If so this is completely legal. Here is the exerpt out of the NH Boating Laws :

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...erate-a-Vessel

"A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel."

My kids love driving the boat, in very safe and secure areas where there is not a lot of traffic or navigation to be done...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to znh For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (05-26-2015), paintitredinHC (05-26-2015), pjard (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
znh

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
If they were experienced boaters, I'd say it was nice that they were teaching their kids how to (hopefully) properly handle a boat and read the water.

But, since they're new, they need to concentrate on learning on their own first. There are no "roads" on the water, things can come at you from any direction. Until you learn how to properly navigate and handle yourself in that environment you shouldn't be turning the controls over to a child.

For a specific "what to say", I'd suggest something like "I saw the picture you posted, just wanted to let you know that it's illegal for someone underage to operate a boat and the MP's have been known to give out tickets for that sort of thing. Posting evidence of the incident is probably not a good idea either."

I'd also probably mention "I would have guessed they would have covered this in your boating safety course, but maybe not! Let me know if you have any questions about boating rules/regs and common courtesy stuff on the lake."
But that wouldn't work since it's not illegal.

If you are concerned about your friends kids driving the boat since the adults don't have a lot of wheel time yet themselves, maybe just a nice friendly reminder that Winni is a lake that requires either a lot of first hand experience or close attention to what you are doing and your charts to always make sure you know where you are...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:07 AM   #5
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
But that wouldn't work since it's not illegal.

If you are concerned about your friends kids driving the boat since the adults don't have a lot of wheel time yet themselves, maybe just a nice friendly reminder that Winni is a lake that requires either a lot of first hand experience or close attention to what you are doing and your charts to always make sure you know where you are...
You're right!

We don't have kids, so I'm not as up to speed on the legality of kids operating boats over 25HP.

Makes it a slightly harder subject to broach...
Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Shreddy

Default To each their own...

I started driving the boat when I was 12 or 13...I've driven boats ever since and as soon as I turned 16 and got my boater's license in the mail I was taking the boat out on my own without issue. This was far for the better too, because my entire family knows it's comical watching my father drive and dock.

I'm not going to try and turn this into a debate, but please relax and don't worry about how other people are raising their kids. If I were you I'd be more concerned with the amount of BUI that takes place. Just put yourself in a position as captain of your vessel to alleviate against any issues that arise...no need to take the wind out of anyone else's sails.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #7
Phantom

Water Camper --

Perhaps the post to Facebook was something quite innocent.

Not having access to the pic, take a closer look and see if perhaps it was taken in a completely remote part of the Lake (no boats, not traffic, no hazards) ... in all honesty, if done properly I do not see a MAJOR issue.

Also, you did not fully define "underage" ... is this individual 14-16 or 5-8 ? Big difference. Was the parent seated with the child? I suspect for the picture purpose, perhaps not... but something to consider that the parent simply slipped quickly out of the view of the cam.

My whole point is that we (in the Forum) should not rush to judgment not knowing all the circumstances.

update:
Shreddy posted almost the exact time as I -- now that I have read his post, I totally agree ............ and also am one who has been driving a boat since my early teen years.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #8
Water Camper

Default Glad I asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by znh View Post
Are the adults on the boat while the kids are driving? If so this is completely legal. Here is the exerpt out of the NH Boating Laws :

https://www.boat-ed.com/newhampshire...erate-a-Vessel

"A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”) may be operated by:

A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person 18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel."

My kids love driving the boat, in very safe and secure areas where there is not a lot of traffic or navigation to be done...
Glad I asked, I was under the impression that it was illegal for a person under the age of 16 to operate a boat with more than 25 horsepower. I stand corrected.
The kids are 11 and 14.
Looked to me like they were in Meredith Bay, not exactly quiet.

Thanks for all the advice,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Yes Bill, It is legal. The one thing to remember is that they are running on the adult's certificate so the adults need to be sane and sober too!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM   #10
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Letting your kids drive the boat with you present is nothing new. I am doing it now with both my boys... giving them short stents behind the well and letting the get used to how to control the boat.

If we didn't do things like this how would the next generation learn?

Do I let them drive in congested situations? No of course not
Do I let them drive in adverse weather conditions? No of course not
Do I let them drive full out on the throttle? No of course not
Do they go out alone? of course not

Why? Because they are just learning.... slowly they will do more, and yes when appropriate they will go to the boating safety course, and once I have
complete confidence they will go out alone.

While things like the boating safety cert. have been instituted for a reason, they haven't been instituted to make it impossible for the next generation to learn....

Learning is a process, that takes time... In my case it hasn't been until the kids where older that they took an interest in driving.. now they have and I am letting them learn.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
noreast

This thread is another reason I feel people should be re-certified once in a while. Not to be a jerk but we all talk to people all the time that think they no all the rules but really don't.a little refresher would remind you of things you just "mis remember" to quote Roger Clemens.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #12
HomeWood

I wouldn't say a thing because there really isn't anything to say.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWood For This Useful Post:
dpg (05-27-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
ApS

Arrow Add a Reminder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
What do I say to a friend who has just posted pictures on facebook of his underage kids driving a power boat ?
He is a new member of a local boating club. He and his wife just recently took their boating safety course and are not previously regular boaters. I feel I need to say something for their and everyone else's safety, but am at a loss as to how to approach this subject. Thank You in advance for any advice.
Bill
I have the same problem. A new neighborhood family I really like allowed their 10-year-old to operate their PWC at top speeds. I haven't said anything, but I intend to advise him of a 15-year-old who didn't survive his operation of a PWC—directly in front of our view of the lake!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
ccw1844 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I have the same problem. A new neighborhood family I really like allowed their 10-year-old to operate their PWC at top speeds. I haven't said anything, but I intend to advise him of a 15-year-old who didn't survive his operation of a PWC—directly in front of our view of the lake!

It is a different problem if a certificate holding adult was not with tbe 10 year old!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 AM   #15
dave603

Default Could be worse

In Mass. you do not need a safety cert,. if your older than 17 years old.

I've seen people who have never been on a boat buy/rent them and know NOTHING at all about boating.

MA Boater License
You are not required to obtain a boater license. However, you must obtain a boating safety certificate if:

You're between the ages of 12 and 15 years old and want to operate a motorboat by yourself.
You're 16 or 17 years old and want to operate a personal watercraft PWC) by yourself.
If you're younger than either of those ages, you can't operate the watercraft listed by yourself, period.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #16
4Fun

Default No problem at all

I let my 10 year old drive the boat all the time. I stand next to him to be ready to take control and keep a good lookout.
He drove from the Weirs to Sandy Island Monday.

He knows to look over his shoulder when turning, He knows to watch the other boats and determine what their course is. I bet he will be a very good safe boater by the time he is "legal".
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
I let my 10 year old drive the boat all the time. I stand next to him to be ready to take control and keep a good lookout.
He drove from the Weirs to Sandy Island Monday.

He knows to look over his shoulder when turning, He knows to watch the other boats and determine what their course is. I bet he will be a very good safe boater by the time he is "legal".
My "kids" are now in their twenties. They've been driving boats almost since they could walk, almost always with me at their shoulders (except when they were allowed to learn on their own with the <10HP dingy, and mom and dad always discretely watching from shore), ready to take over, and pointing out the rules of the road.

They are now good skippers on their own. It's a great way for them to learn.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote