Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
RobertsCove0

Default Sea Tow vs Lake Tow

Hey I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on who is better for the Lake. I used Sea Tow on the Ocean and they were great, but didn't know how they were on the lake. Thanks
RobertsCove0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
crowsnest

I have Tow Boat US they have an inland waterways for $39.00 you have to ask for it.
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Just Sold

I saw the Tow Boat US boat on a trailer in a yard up the hill from Downings Landing in Alton yesterday.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not Tow Boat US....

That is the Sea Tow Boat that was kept right next to the Alton Bay bridge on the Gillan side. Sea Tow's colors are yellow...

The boat is on the Horse and Buggy Cottages property, which just happens to be owned by a high school classmate of mine. Small world.

Tow Boat US is based out of Gilford.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Rich

I was just going to ask about this same topic!

Last year I had SeaTow coverage with 'lake only' and it cost me about $119 or so.

I see that I can get a BoatUS membership for $25 and then a 'inland lake only' towing coverage withe SeaTow for about $40.

Does anyone know how the coverage differs between SeatTow and BoatUS towing on the lake?

If they are about the same, it seems that BoatUS is a LOT less expensive, so I would have to wonder why I paid so much for SeaTow last year?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or known differences if you care to share them, especially with actual use examples.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,380 Times in 956 Posts

Some insurance policies cover towing too, so you might not need another policy.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Denny Crane

Default Thumbs up tow boat US

I trailer my boat and added the trailering coverage for short money. I had a great experience, if you can call breaking down that, with the response from tow boat US out of gilford. I also broke down on the highway with my family and boat at 10 pm on a saturday night and they sent out a towing company capable of putting my truck on the flatbed and my boat behind it. I am into it for about 160, but I am covered on the lakes, ocean, and highway. The boat and trailering magazines are great as is their website with videos on changing bearings and other maintenance tips. Peace of mind is priceless.
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Default Towboat US

First time I needed a tow, I was broken down by Rum Pt, and needed a tow to Alton Town Docks. No towing coverage. Cost was $385.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I got soft grounded at my rental dock in Smith's Cove. Total cost with my TowBoatUS coverage for getting the boat off, about $270. Cost to customer (me) Zero!

Last year, coil died on my Mariah while we in Roberts Cove. TowboatUS tow to Downings Landing in Alton Bay so that Parker could pick it up and take it across the street. Cost was over $300, $315 I think. Cost to customer (me) zero!

I like TowBoat US...never have had a problem.

And I like the price.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Puffin

Default check your insurance policy for coverage

I don't have either, I"m covered on my insurance policy, last year after a fantastic sunday hanging out at Johnsons cove a little longer then first planed, I ended up with two dead batteries, a simple call to SeaTow and a quick jump and I was back in business. Just submitted the bill to my insurance co. and had the reimbursment check within 4-5 days.

No increase in my policy this year so all is good.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I have BoatUS and they are awesome.Had a breakdown on Lake Winnisquam a few years ago and they towed and trailer my boat to the dealer...no charge.
I use them for insurance,boat lettering and most marine services.Way better than SeaTow IMO
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
jrc

I think having a towing company is good piece of mind. Having insurance to reimburse is good but having a contract with someone to coem get you makes me feel safer. I have Boat US and in ten years only one tow.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I have BoatUS and they are awesome.Had a breakdown on Lake Winnisquam a few years ago and they towed and trailer my boat to the dealer...no charge.
I use them for insurance,boat lettering and most marine services.Way better than SeaTow IMO
So, if I may ask, what package do you have? The unlimited or the cheaper one? I ask because I will likely sign up for tow
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #13
SunsetPointWentworth

Default superstitious

It's great to be prepared, but now you jinxed yourself for sure!!
SunsetPointWentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
So, if I may ask, what package do you have? The unlimited or the cheaper one? I ask because I will likely sign up for tow
I have the unlimited because we need coverage on the lakes,ocean and towing.
Also they have a pretty cool service.....you can design boat lettering on line.Any style and color and it sticks on in one piece......for a fraction of the cost of having your boat lettered at shop.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
jrc

I have the unlimited service because of the size of my boat. When we had a bowrider we had the basic service. When the bowrider broke down, the towing costs where almost exactly the limit of our coverage, what a coincidence.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #16
Steveo

Default Reconfirming thr cost of TowBoatUS

Am I reading the cost for unlimited towing on Winnipesaukee for TowBoatUS is only $67. That is nothing! They are out of Gilford right? Any issues with towing to Alton?

Thanks
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #17
Aguamenti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
Am I reading the cost for unlimited towing on Winnipesaukee for TowBoatUS is only $67. That is nothing! They are out of Gilford right? Any issues with towing to Alton?

Thanks
Yes, I just signed up last night, thanks to the members of this forum!
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
upthesaukee

Default No Problem

Quote:

Thanks
I was down in Robert's Cove last summer, and the coil on the engine died. Worked fine on the way out, crapped out when we went to move. Turn over, no start.

Called TowboatUS, about 35-40 mins later they were at the boat. Took some basic info from me, I pulled my anchor, he reached over with a pole that had the tow rope hook on it, snapped it on the front eyelet, and we were off. Towed to Downing's Landing, and Parker Marine came across the street to get the boat.

Filled out the paperwork, and the cost of the tow was over $300...cost to customer $0.

Third time I used them, and they have been great.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
Ropetow

Quote:

Thanks
Had an impeller crap out at the mouth of Alton Bay 2 summers ago. Got Tow Boat US on the cell phone, they were there in maybe 30 minutes, and towed me to Gillan's. No problems. Courteous service.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
codeman671

Just make sure you are not at your home dock and need to be towed to a marina or launch for repair as this is only covered at 50%. A friend found that out a number of years ago.

The operator hinted it was best to push the boat off the dock, anchor then call for help
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #21
upthesaukee

Default More info on this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Just make sure you are not at your home dock and need to be towed to a marina or launch for repair as this is only covered at 50%. A friend found that out a number of years ago.

The operator hinted it was best to push the boat off the dock, anchor then call for help
From the BoatUS website FAQ section:
  • If I’m broken down at my dock, does my BoatUS Towing Service still work for me?
  • A: BoatUS Towing Service is for tows due to breakdowns at sea or at a restricted use dock. In addition, if your boat will not start while you are at your home dock, rental dock, or a non-restricted use slip, partial coverage may be available to you. By setting up the tow through normal channels; calling our dispatch center or contacting a TowBoatUS or VESSEL ASSIST company directly, BoatUS will provide 50% of the towing charge incurred to the closest repair facility, up to your current towing service level (100% if you have Unlimited Gold Towing). Of course, pre-existing conditions are not provided for at all.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #22
samosetguy

Default SeaTow

This is an interesting discussion. I use SeaTow. I've never had to call them.

I picked SeaTow over TowboatUS a couple years ago because of positive statements made on this web site about them, it seemed at the time they had more boats/bigger presence on the lake and because I had read a very impressive story in a local paper about the person that owned the Meredith franchise. I probably have this wrong but I believe he was a retired long-term Navy person and had gone to New Orleans to help during Katrina.

However, I'm just now realizing the franchise was sold last summer to someone from Delaware?!?!?!

I've already renewed SeaTow for this summer but I wouldn't have if I had read all this.

I wish both would be more transparent about who owns them, what boats they have, where they're located, etc. They both seem so "corporate" you can't really learn anything about who you're relying on for assistance. The local Sea Tow franchise has a FB page but it's all stuff from the national franchise.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post

With Seatow your primary boat is covered 100% either from your home dock or adrift. Your secondary boat is only covered away from your home dock. The same hint about paddling away from your dock was also made!

I have used Seatow twice on the big lake. Both times they towed my primary boat from my dock on Welch all the way to Thurstons Marina for repair at no charge whatsoever.

Dan Perron was the Captain and I think owner at the time and was extremely knowledgeable at his job.

Seatow is well worth the small expense in my opinion and provides a great service on the lake!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Southborough_man

Default BoatUS vs SeaTow

Last night my boat broke down in Center Harbor Bay about 8:30. I pay yearly dues of $52 to BoatUS so I called them. Their guy was towing someone else but would get back to me. .Never did despite repeat calls to the BoatUS 800 number. BoatUS could not raise the captain of the boat. They called the Marine Patrol who very nicely towed us back to the Center Harbor docks. The local BoatUS guy called his competitor, SeaTow who came from Alton to get us about 11:30. Bottom line is we didn't get home until 2AM. It was a nice night and we were in no danger. The marine patrol guy said that yesterday (a Saturday) a lot of people were taking their boats out for the first time and some were getting into trouble. Maybe if our problem hadn't happened on such a day we wouldn't have been stuck so long. The one thing I just can't get over is why the local BoatUS captain was unable to be raised. He told us he was soon leaving his shift but would have the next guy call us. Did he just turn off his phone leaving us stuck? I don't know. For me the jury is out on BoatUS until I can talk to the owner to find out what happened. BOTTOM LINE: Just because you have signed up for a tow does not mean it will happen quickly.

Post Script: I just talked to the owner of the BoatUS franchise on the lake. He said that normally he has two guys on the lake. One guy was away at a graduation. The other experienced guy is a long shoreman and is away for two weeks. So he had a newbie who didn't know the area of the lake I was in. BoatUS is out of Gilford. I will stay with my yearly $52 with BoatUS and assume/hope I don't get unlucky again the next time this happens.

Last edited by Southborough_man; 06-02-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Southborough_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
LSBA Joker

Default BoatUS vs Towboat

Kudos to BoatUS for a prompt tow last season when the water pump (B3) went. Although he was finishing another tow, he gave me a call to give me an accurate timeline. Slid me right into Shep's dock, finished up the paperwork and then he headed out to get another. Big thanks to Sheps for a quick turnaround during the middle of the season. As always, Steve H and company came through.
LSBA Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #26
Slainte

Smile Sea Tow

We have had sea tow for 3 years and, luckily, never had to use them.....til Sunday! They responded quickly, towed us to our dock and said to call if we needed an additional tow to a marina! (All being covered by our policy).The captain was considerate, prompt, more than helpful, friendly and knowledgeable! I would highly recommend this service to anyone!!! I truly don't want to get stuck out there again but knowing that Sea Tow is reliable and "on call" is very reassuring!!!!!!!
Slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slainte For This Useful Post:
samosetguy (06-01-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #27
jazzman

Any idea what BoatUS considers your "home dock" if you have a mainland slip and a dock at your island property?

The Unlimited Freshwater $72 plan only covers 50% of the tow from your "home" dock to a repair facility.
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #28
Rich

Not having this dillema, I would just call them and ask. I find they are very friendly and happy to answer any questions.

And when calling, you always seem to get a person that you know speaks AMERICAN English as their native born language!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:22 PM   #29
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Any idea what BoatUS considers your "home dock" if you have a mainland slip and a dock at your island property?

The Unlimited Freshwater $72 plan only covers 50% of the tow from your "home" dock to a repair facility.
Jazzman I have used boat US and they towed me no questions asked on the Big lake. Call Boat US direct they are a good company.

Last edited by laketrout; 05-08-2015 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Soelling
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #30
Capt.Ken

If anyone has any questions regarding SeaTow please post em here and ill address them a.s.a.p. or please feel free to call me directly at 603-279-2203 (24/7), Thanks, Capt.Ken
Capt.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt.Ken For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (06-01-2015)