Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Choosing and Connecting A Tube for Kids

Hello All,
Bought a pontoon last August and am planning on picking up a tube for the summer. Will be used with my 5-year-old son and wife, and I have some questions:

1. Any suggestions on tubes to look for? Stability and flexibility would be two most important characteristics.

2. Thoughts on 5-year-old going by himself so my wife can spot? (Otherwise, we'd have to wait for friends or family to join us)

3. How do I connect it to my pontoon? I have a tow bar, but I've read those are too high.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-24-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We use a tow bar but some times at higher speeds you might get some spray from the prop.....if that happens I'd go to a longer rope.Also don't see a problem with using a cleat instead of the tow bar.
A far as tubes go....just google them up and be sure you read a few reviews.
We got a 3 person stand up,kneel,or lie down.It was pricey but suitable and safe for children but also gives a thrilling ride for adults.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I have used the tow bar on al my Pontoons without issues. Definitely not too high whatsoever.

I don't see anything wrong with 5 year old going by himself as long as he is not scared, he is properly equipped with the right PFD, and you go very slow and use common sense. However that being said, I personally would look for a neighbor or friend who wants to go for a boat ride as a spotter and have your wife sit in the tube with your 5 year old, at least for the first few times.

Also, make sure you use a proper "tow line", not rope from the hardware store. Tow lines float and will stay out of your prop.

As far as type of tube, I recommend you visit "Parafunalia"in Gilford. They have a good selection of tubes. they will tell you which ones would be best for your circumstance.

Good luck!

Dan
Old 04-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
codeman671

The tow bars are typically not rated to tow tubes although I have done it plenty of times. Just be smart.

The proper way to do it is to use the 2 loops on either side of the stern. You can pick up a harness that clips on to each side and meets with a ring or a pulley in the middle. This will center the connection point behind the motor and help keep the line out of the prop.

A 5 year old is fine alone, just go SLOW! Don't scare the pants off him so that he won't want to do it again. I have seen it happen before.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Flotnjr

There is a tube out there called Big Mable that is pretty good- it's big, so it's stable, and has two different tow points, so you can use it like a "chariot" or almost like a couch, so you have a backrest. They are a bit more pricey (250 +/-) but you can comfortably fit one or two people. The downside to it being big is, well, it's big. Storage might be a little problem if you are out for the day without any place to drop it off. As far as the tow bar goes- you will be fine pulling a 5 year old, if it were a couple of teenagers that you were trying to throw off, you might put too much stress on the bar. I would have to agree with everyone else- probably a good idea to ride with an adult first, just to make sure they are comfortable. Either way- be safe and have a blast!
Flotnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
NHskier

We got a Big Mable tube last summer and found it very stable, and the back & sides hold you in so it feels safer. They are big, but there are even larger versions of Mable.

Parafunalia is a great store for tubes and any water sports stuff.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
Charlie T

Red face Last year I did it

Last year was the first year for my then 5 yr. old Grandson on a towable. I have an inflatable Jet ski that everyone likes so he used that. It's a lot of fun for young and old.

I think the biggest issue is that the child has to feel comfortable in deep water and know they won't sink and drown. I insist that before my Grandkids can go on any towable that they take swimming lessons so that they are comfortable being in water over their head. I believe that once you give the kid the confidence that he will be safe, you will see little fear from them. I would never put anyone on any towable until they proved to me and themselves that they were ready and able to deal with the deep water.

Naturally a proper life jacket is required. When I say proper I mean proper size and fit as well as proper style and condition. Normally for this type of activity I believe a USCG Type III is recommended but you would have to check with the Marine Patrol to confirm that.

Have a great time on the lake. Be Safe and happy while you enjoy this wonderful resource that we call the lake.

CT
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Jersey Ed (04-23-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanks for the info, all--I'll check out Mable and go from there!
Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 AM   #9
Dad sold the C * C

Young and old. I took my 83 year old Mother for a ride on a BIG Mable a few years ago; she loved it.

I still remember my Mom yell "MY BABY" when she got out of the car and asked "who's water skiing?" Well, it was me at 6 years old
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
JasonG

Having been tubing since the 70's ( damn, has it been that long? ) I can tell you that quality matters. There is a reason why one tube is $60 and the other is $200. Durability, position of the handles, comfort.

Speaking of the 70's, before commercial ski tubes were really out, did anyone take a big black inner tube, tie the ski rope to it, and have the boat pull you? Bit of an adventure and preying that fill nozzle did not poke you.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Back then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Having been tubing since the 70's ( damn, has it been that long? ) I can tell you that quality matters. There is a reason why one tube is $60 and the other is $200. Durability, position of the handles, comfort.

Speaking of the 70's, before commercial ski tubes were really out, did anyone take a big black inner tube, tie the ski rope to it, and have the boat pull you? Bit of an adventure and preying that fill nozzle did not poke you.
That was the only way to do it.

A passenger tire tube = 1 tuber

A truck tire tube = 2 or more tubers.

Yes to the tube air nozzle being able to take out a pound of flesh.

This tubing gave new life to the tube that already had two or three punctures from road hazard punctures.

Ah, the memories... and the smell of rubber when it got wet...
Old 04-24-2015, 01:47 AM   #12
Greene's Basin Girl

Yes, I used a tire tube, wooden water skis, and a wooden surfboard. It wasn't as easy back then, but it sure was great fun!!!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (04-24-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #13
Dad sold the C * C

Loved it when the boat took off and the truck tube Bent in half; I made a harness for it that worked ok. We tried rubber rafts,..... Not so good. We did have good luck with one of those red and blue canvas/rubber rafts, but the pillow section would hit you in the face and the spray was vicious.

My first skis were "cut-downs" someone had done to make trick skis, they didn't have fins until my dad screwed some on. My Dad always liked a good joke, that's why when I was 9, I woke up on Christmas to a new KID SIZED pair of water skis. Only problem was we lived in Omaha at the time and the Boat was still in NH.
Dad sold the C * C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #14
ITD

Turn the meat grinder on the back of the boat (engine) completely off when boarding/deboarding, every time.

Also, tubes may be rated to 40 mph, but generally a bad idea to go over 20 mph, kids can get concussions hitting the water too fast if they fall off. Be careful.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Did some research on the BIG MABLE, and a few people mentioned that the front dips at low speed and sometimes flips over. Since I'll be pulling this with a 20' pontoon with 70HP motor, I'm thinking 17-20 mph will be the absolute max we'll be going.

Any recommendations for slow bean kids tubes?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 AM   #16
Alton Bay

Thumbs up

Do yourself a favor and check out Sports and Marine Parafunalia in Gilford. They know the products they sell and will tell you what you need. They've got 40 different types of tubes and will sell you the most appropriate tow bridle.
Prices are all discounted too!
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
Do yourself a favor and check out Sports and Marine Parafunalia in Gilford. They know the products they sell and will tell you what you need. They've got 40 different types of tubes and will sell you the most appropriate tow bridle.
Prices are all discounted too!
Sounds good--I'll check in with them next time we're up. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #18
Grandpa Redneck

A very good alternative to the Mable is the Sportsstuff Chariot Warbird,
It is a favorite of the young and old alike, and has been very stable at low and high speeds. The "wings" on the side and the turned up front really help to stabilize it.

Also a good choice is the Big Bertha, the youngsters can sit right down in the middle of it, and at low speeds it is very stable, but can be a wild ride at higher speeds

I also recommend the Boosterball, it keeps the rope out of the water and allows you to get the tube out of the wake. When we had our 22' 90 hp Toon tubing was actually a very boring ride without the boosterball, you couldn't get it out of the wake no matter how hard you tried, once we got the boosterball it was a whole different ride.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:28 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Hi, all--gonna check out the warbird, but does anyone have suggestions on one that would also be good for just floating around while anchored or will all of these work fairly well?
Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 AM   #20
Grandpa Redneck

Everything we have had is OK for floating, the warbird is really a good lounger with the backrest, and it is relatively easy to get on and off from the water, the Bertha on the other hand is near impossible for most people to get on from the water.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 AM   #21
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
the Bertha on the other hand is near impossible for most people to get on from the water.
Very good to know--thanks!