Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
Den65

Thumbs up Mug By the Bay

Just went to the Mug By the Bay in Center Harbor. Started with a bowl of seafood chowda and a nice sam's summer draft that was perfect and had the salmon special with dill sauce that was just the right size and cooked perfect. My daughter had the pork with apples which was tender and delicious. The people next to us who came up by boat said it was there new favorite place and i agree.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
wickedtravelah (11-14-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
wickedtravelah

I would have to agree... have always had a decent meal there. Will return frequently....
wickedtravelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Dave

... that's good to know. I've had breakfast a number of times and have been totally satisfied. The atmosphere is clean and modern ...
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

The Mug is a great place- awesome breakfast and lunch... I have yet to try dinner there so I cannot comment.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
dedavis44

Thumbs down Clean?

Lipstick on mug, stingy on lobster in lobster benedict and hash browns that were clearly scooped onto my plate from someone else's (bits of buttered sesame bagel in the slimy potatoes). Health concerns. I'll pass on this place and stand on line at Bay Gulls.
dedavis44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedavis44 View Post
Lipstick on mug, stingy on lobster in lobster benedict and hash browns that were clearly scooped onto my plate from someone else's (bits of buttered sesame bagel in the slimy potatoes). Health concerns. I'll pass on this place and stand on line at Bay Gulls.
Nice 1st post...you do realize that when your first post is a negative restaurant review people are going to suspect you have an agenda. Really? You come on here, create an account, simply to bash and degrade a restaurant? I'm not saying this stuff didn't happen to you, just saying I'm suspicious of the amount of effort you put in to state your point.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Just had breakfast there the other day for the first time. I thought it was very good. I am not usually a breakfast person but my stomach was just grumbling away so I stopped. I ate by myself but the couple at the table next to me kept talking to me and asking for things to do in the area. All in all, I had a good time at breakfast at the Mug.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
jerseyonbear

Default Return Trip

Stopped in for lunch last week after such a great first visit last year and found the same this time. The salad we had was fab and the place neat and charming. Wait stay did a great job. Will go back next year
jerseyonbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
islandboater

Thumbs up Good breakfast and could go by boat

Had a good breakfast and could go by boat....great morning.
islandboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandboater View Post
Had a good breakfast and could go by boat....great morning.
Getting good eats by BOAT is a definite plus.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

As Sam and Rosie's was a favorite spot for breakfast for many years, it was hard to see something new occupy the space. However I have been in a couple of times for some very good meals.... I haven't tried dinner their but the couple of breakfasts and lunch I have had their have been good.

The atmosphere of the place is completely different then Sam and Rosie's so it is not likely to become a frequent visit for me and my gang, but it is good non the less....
nahgem521 (01-28-2014)
Old 08-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Summertm

Default Mug on the Bay

I went there for the first time since they opened. WOW nice job, this place looks great.
oh ya, the food and service was very good too
Summertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
Life is Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Nice 1st post...you do realize that when your first post is a negative restaurant review people are going to suspect you have an agenda. Really? You come on here, create an account, simply to bash and degrade a restaurant? I'm not saying this stuff didn't happen to you, just saying I'm suspicious of the amount of effort you put in to state your point.
As a new forum member myself, I am curious how long a Junior Member should wait before posting their honest opinions and accounts of their experiences.

While the Lipstick post was not softly worded, the agenda accusation could just as easily be leveled at the reply.
Life is Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Life is Wild For This Useful Post:
Bumble2249 (03-03-2014), michelemybell (03-23-2014)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Wild View Post
As a new forum member myself, I am curious how long a Junior Member should wait before posting their honest opinions and accounts of their experiences.

While the Lipstick post was not softly worded, the agenda accusation could just as easily be leveled at the reply.
All the senior members take a secret vote on you, and if you pass you get to be a senior member.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Life is Wild

Good to know. I love everything and everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Life is Wild For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (07-29-2014)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Pineedles

You're a good sport LiW. The real answer is below. Enjoy.

20-49 Member
50+ Senior Member
Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #17
WakeboardMom

This answer isn't quite on target. (Although it is interesting info. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
You're a good sport LiW. The real answer is below. Enjoy.

20-49 Member
50+ Senior Member
LiW asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is Wild View Post
LiW is asking, at what point is it okay for someone to give an honest opinion in the restaurant forum? When someone has a very low post count and posts a bad review of a restaurant, it seems like his opinion isn't taken seriously because he hasn't earned any credibility among longtime posters.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
LiW is asking, at what point is it okay for someone to give an honest opinion in the restaurant forum?
"Never" is a pretty safe answer.

You can give an honest medium review any time. Strongly positive or negative honest reviews will require the submitter to undergo a background check and file a notarized copy of their review.

In some cases it also depends on the restaurant being discussed. Less-than-stellar reviews of the Lobster Pound will raise few eyebrows. Negative reviews of the Lyon's Den may cause the submitter to be heckled. Pop's Clam Shack should get positive reviews on even numbered days only. Glowing reviews of Tamarack will be replied to asking the submitter if this is a *recent* review, or a recount of their youth. Any mention, good or bad, or Weirs The Beef is done solely at the reviewers own risk.
ishoot308 (11-11-2013), KPW (11-12-2013), Pine Island Guy (07-28-2014), WakeboardMom (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
Pineedles

I realize that it wasn't the answer he was expecting but I decided to have some fun. It is interesting info. I got it from the Webmaster who was answering McDude's question of when does he get to be a senior member. McDude.....certainly in the top ten of posters on this forum hadn't gotten 50 post under his belt yet.

And... good stuff brk-lnt. Definitely in the spirit of things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (11-12-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
phoenix

I think the concern raised by many is there has been a tendency for the most negative reviews of a restaurant to come from new posters. Many of which vilify the restaurant. Restaurants live off their reputation and few of us have our real names so we are all anonymous . I try to review all opinions on restaurants( look at trip advisor one review gives 1 and the next a 5 some on the same visit) and make a judgment on whether I want to go on not then form an opinion. This is a public forum and all have a right to express our views whether we have never posted or have posted thousands of times . If I had hair in my soup or lipstick on my mug I for one would bring it to the restaurant manager as it is tough for a restaurant to refute a serious charge especially if they don't know about it other than on an anonymous forum
KPW (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
"never" is a pretty safe answer.

You can give an honest medium review any time. Strongly positive or negative honest reviews will require the submitter to undergo a background check and file a notarized copy of their review.

In some cases it also depends on the restaurant being discussed. Less-than-stellar reviews of the lobster pound will raise few eyebrows. Negative reviews of the lyon's den may cause the submitter to be heckled. Pop's clam shack should get positive reviews on even numbered days only. Glowing reviews of tamarack will be replied to asking the submitter if this is a *recent* review, or a recount of their youth. Any mention, good or bad, or weirs the beef is done solely at the reviewers own risk.
outstanding!!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #22
Life is Wild

Default The best one yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
I think the concern raised by many is there has been a tendency for the most negative reviews of a restaurant to come from new posters. Many of which vilify the restaurant. Restaurants live off their reputation and few of us have our real names so we are all anonymous . I try to review all opinions on restaurants( look at trip advisor one review gives 1 and the next a 5 some on the same visit) and make a judgment on whether I want to go on not then form an opinion. This is a public forum and all have a right to express our views whether we have never posted or have posted thousands of times . If I had hair in my soup or lipstick on my mug I for one would bring it to the restaurant manager as it is tough for a restaurant to refute a serious charge especially if they don't know about it other than on an anonymous forum
A wonderfully objective answer. Thank you.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #23
Life is Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
All the senior members take a secret vote on you, and if you pass you get to be a senior member.
Holding my breath and dreaming of the day I'll be elevated to such heights.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #24
sau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I am Chris Lopes the chef at The Mug by the Bay. I highly doubt this lovely person even ate our our establishment, But would love to have them in and change they're opinion. We offer the freshest ingredients available in the area. Our portions are known to be generous. I encourage any readers to please use they're judgement when reading comments on web networks and feel free to check us out on face book. We post are events and pics of our food.
sau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sau For This Useful Post:
Acinonyx (03-25-2014)
Old 03-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #25
sau

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedavis44 View Post
Thank you for your post.. Unfortunately i disagree with you entirely on your post. We actually don't have "hash browns" at our establishment we have breakfast potatoes that are made fresh every morning. Our Lobster is the best quality available in the state and we are very generous with our portions. We would never take anything from a customers plate and transfer it to another customers plate! As far as health concerns we have passed our NH Health Code inspections and receive compliments daily on our cleanliness. I welcome you however back into our establishment and would love to change your opinion.
sau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sau For This Useful Post:
Overlake97 (07-27-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM   #26
Den65

Default Still one of my favorites

Quote:
Originally Posted by sau View Post
I am Chris Lopes the chef at The Mug by the Bay. I highly doubt this lovely person even ate our our establishment, But would love to have them in and change they're opinion. We offer the freshest ingredients available in the area. Our portions are known to be generous. I encourage any readers to please use they're judgement when reading comments on web networks and feel free to check us out on face book. We post are events and pics of our food.
The Mug by the bay is still one of my favorite places, won't change my mind because someone wrote something stupid. Keep up the good cooking.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #27
Bracey

Default Terrible

Just returned from Mug By The Bay. Do not spend that kind of money to be served frozen vegetables, flavorless chicken, butter sauce instead of Alfredo sauce and "garlic bread" made from a hot dog bun. Both meals ordered were "specials" and the service was terrible. We will never return!
Bracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #28
Crusty

Default A good burger

I stopped by last Friday just before closing. I always feel a bit awkward cutting it that close, but the staff was friendly and accommodating.

Based on my waitress's recommendation of the "most popular" burger, I ordered the "San Fran" with "Mug Chips". Truthfully, I was not excited about the chips; There was nothing wrong with them, but in the future I'll order the fries.

The San Fran itself was excellent. It was a decent size, cooked as I ordered, and topped with a number of items that worked very well together. $9.50 + tax.

My order was taken promptly and the food arrived in a time frame commensurate with how long it takes to cook a burger. I was seated at the bar and filled the time by watching the Food Network. I found out that the wait staff and I both had the same question: Why doesn't Guy Fieri weigh over 500 lbs?

I'll be going back when I'm in the area.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #29
loonguy

Default Breakfast

We stopped for breakfast yesterday. The Denver omelet and service were excellent. We have been there several times and will return.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #30
RLW

Smile

loonguy, While browsing I noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for participating in the forum.I have never been at this location. I'll give it a try the next time by.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:13 AM   #31
Pine Island Guy

Default always a good time and good food!

The Mug By The Bay has become a favorite Sunday morning breakfast destination for us and the Misty Blue family! Cap'n Dave picks us up on the island in the Misty early enough to ensure docking at Center Harbor and to beat the lines at the Mug...

Always a yummy breakfast, and although I go for the eggs benedict 90% of the time, others in the party have tried many things and always have positive comments!

Even when the place gets packed and customers are waiting in line, the staff remains friendly but efficient, taking their time with every customer, and never seem to get frazzled or exasperated.

I can't speak to dinners, but have been to lunch there a few times and the burgers are excellent as well (although breakfast remains my favorite).

To echo previous posters, when something goes awry at a restaurant, the first stop should be the manager and not the web... mistakes/problems can occur anytime/anywhere, best not to make sweeping judgements and tell the world unless it proves to be systemic (in my humble opinion)...

Eat, Drink, be Merry!! -PIG
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (07-29-2014), jeffatsquam (07-28-2014), jeffk (07-28-2014), KPW (07-28-2014), VitaBene (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #32
Pine Island Guy

Default why not give the Mug another try then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracey View Post
I think any place can have a bad night, or serve a bad meal. It has happened on very rare occasion for me at CI. But have gone back and been completely impressed. And overall, I like the place, very much.

That has even happened to me at Harts. But will never keep me away from there, or anywhere else for that matter.
Hi Bracey -

you gave Christmas Island and Harts the courtesy of a "bad night" on another thread, I'd encourage you to give the Mug another shot and try the breakfast...

-PIG (and yup, I'm a good eater too)

P.S. And for the record, I have no connection with the restaurant except inheriting a few LBs from eating large quantities of eggs benedict... and I'm not a qualified food critic nor do I play one on TV...
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote