Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
hazelnut

Default 2011 Winter

Ok CLA, Rose, et al.

I have acquired far better and much more thorough information from reading your posts on this forum than I have ever received from watching a weather report from a major network. With that said would you care to opine on this winter so far and in the future?

It's kind of depressing to us winter sports fanatics to see the spring like meltdown this early in the season on the heels of what could have been a decent "base." I'm starting to get concerned with the ice production and the lack of snow. Is it too early to panic?

Thanks for all of your great information. I really enjoy reading your posts.

H-Nut
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
This'nThat

Default Look West

Here's where your winter has gone so far this year. West. California. Colorado. They're setting records.
Attached Images

This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (01-03-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Starting to gain sunlight each and every day since December 21, you can really see that the sun stays out a little bit longer now as opposed to two weeks ago. Today, January 2, had the sun showing for a bit at about 2-pm and today was pretty good temps, about 45-50 degrees, for hitting some outdoor tennis. January outdoor tennis.....way-to-go....weather czar.....let's keep the warm weather coming....could make for an early ice/slush out!
Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Blue Thunder

Default I'm not an expert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Ok CLA, Rose, et al.

I have acquired far better and much more thorough information from reading your posts on this forum than I have ever received from watching a weather report from a major network. With that said would you care to opine on this winter so far and in the future?

It's kind of depressing to us winter sports fanatics to see the spring like meltdown this early in the season on the heels of what could have been a decent "base." I'm starting to get concerned with the ice production and the lack of snow. Is it too early to panic?

H-Nut
...and I don't play one on TV either. This coming week will feature "seasonal" temps with a general cooling trend towards weeks end. The long range models are hinting at an off shore/coastal storm in the Fri/Sat timeframe. In the wake of that storm, whether it happens or not, an arctic outbreak is "likely" lasting until mid month.

As has been stated here numerous times, strong cold high pressure and light or no wind and nighttime lows in the teens and single digits will help build ice in a hurry. My opinion at this point is that it looks favorable for this to occur in the next 10-14 days. Time will tell....
hazelnut (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Ok CLA, Rose, et al.

H-Nut
In my not-at-all professional opinion, it is too early to panic. Maybe that is my optimistic side talking, but we are only about 14 days into winter.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
In my not-at-all professional opinion, it is too early to panic. Maybe that is my optimistic side talking, but we are only about 14 days into winter.
I hear ya Chip but I want some science!

There is a bobhouse pretty far off shore between Suissevale and Ambrose Cove. There were a couple of guys on a 4-Wheeler traversing back and forth to that Bobhouse. Brave? Crazy? A little of both? It was surely a sight to see with all the open water on the rest of the lake.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

OK HZ here's my science. This is New England and this is so typical. Being a lifelong skier/snowlover/weather nut, I'm affected like you. This weekend I went into my damn New England rant after watching the 30 inches of new snow at Cannon melt in front of my eyes. Actually, it's rare for it not to rain on X-mas week. I say it will rain and every year it does and has again this year. I wish I was wrong more often on that one.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
hazelnut

We did almost 100 miles from Twin Mountain to Berlin and on to Milan and back to Twin on the Sleds on Friday. Conditions were anywhere from fair to great. Then, from what I hear, it all melted away and the riding is boderline. I also noticed that some of the Moultonboro trails looked ridden on. By Sunday the trails I saw looked pretty bare. Sadly the region is going to need snow in a hurry to get things set up for any January riding in the lakes region. I'm starting my Snow dance tonight:

The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-04-2011)