Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
jetskier

Smile Fessing up

Well, I thought that the forum would like this story...

I finally decided to get a boat...still going to use the jetski, so I have not completely gone over to the other side. It is just that tubing off a jetski is way too much of a production.

Anyhow, we picked up the boat this morning. Of course, my daughter and her friend wanted to go tubing this afternoon. I found a nice quiet cove and carefully towed the two of them paying strict attention to other boats and distance from shore. Well, I have not been pulled over by the marine patrol in ten years. Of course, I look over my shoulder and there is a blue light. For the life of me, I could not figure out what was wrong. At this point, I have to say that the officer was extremely professional and very friendly.

It turns out that you need two spotters for two tubers. OK, that is one more person than my jetski can handle. Never ran into that one in the safe boating course ...chaulk that one up to a learning experience. The next one was a real surprise. I had asked the dealer to equip the boat with all necessary safety equipment... The officer asked if I had a bell. Well, I have a horn and an air horn. It turns out that a boat over 26' requires a bell. A BELL Have you ever heard anyone ringing a bell on the lake. I have not. Of course, everyone here knew about that one and I am the only one in the dark. Well, I am off to buy a bell...is there any rule against flying the Jolly Roger.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier
Well, I thought that the forum would like this story...

It turns out that you need two spotters for two tubers. OK, that is one more person than my jetski can handle. Never ran into that one in the safe boating course ...chaulk that one up to a learning experience.

The next one was a real surprise. I had asked the dealer to equip the boat with all necessary safety equipment... The officer asked if I had a bell. Well, I have a horn and an air horn. It turns out that a boat over 26' requires a bell. A BELL Have you ever heard anyone ringing a bell on the lake. I have not. Of course, everyone here knew about that one and I am the only one in the dark. Well, I am off to buy a bell...is there any rule against flying the Jolly Roger.

Jetskier

Read ‘em and weap…

http://boat-ed.com/nh/course/index.htm

Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
http://boat-ed.com/nh/course/p4-10_d...oducingDevices

Chapter 4: The Legal Requirements of Boating
Requirements Specific to Ski Craft
Towing a Person Legally with a Vessel
http://boat-ed.com/nh/course/p4-12_r...ngSkierSection

Hope this helped…
Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
Kamper

Congratulations on the new boat! I have never heard a boat ring it's bell. I betcha it's a rule most arent aware of until they get stopped.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about it somewhere but cant remember why you need a boat if you have a horn. My fancy new VHF has a fog-horn menu and selecting "Anchor" gives you a simulated bell. Maybe it was assumed to be the smallest boat expected to anchor in open waters?

I guess it's one of those traditions we've lost track of.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
ITD

Got a bell in my boat and the spotter requirement is pretty clearly spelled out. Did you get a ticket? If so, how much?
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
jetskier

Default Thank you

Thanx for the links to the boater's code. I am now painfully aware of these regulations.

The towing issue was my own silly fault, however, it makes no sense unless you expect the spotters to jump in after the tubers. Now that I am aware of the code, I am going to strictly comply.

The bell is just wild. The signal appears to be for foggy conditions. So, this provokes a question or two based upon the engineer in me.

My boat is 26'8"...Why would one use a bell on a boat of this size, but a boat 8" less in length would not? Actually, if the conditions are foggy, wouldn't I want uniform signalling independent of the length of the boat?

I am going to get a bell, but it seems like one of those things that I will just carry around and never use. Am I the only one that finds this requirement a bit odd?

No ticket...they felt pity on me with a registration with today's date. Anyhow, the state got a couple of hundred bucks out of me to register it for about 4 weeks use. So, I think they got it covered. The marine patrol was actually quite good. You hear stories about marine patrol issues. This officer was very very good. He was professional and respectful. I did ask the rationale about the bell and he told me that he had never pulled over a boat over 26'....I am soooo lucky.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #6
jrc

When we loaded up our new boat this spring we found a bell, still in the box inside on of the cabinets. I thought, how nice a present from the dealer, maybe I'll hang it in my den.

Two weeks ago I'm getting my voluntary safety inspection and the MP asks for a bell. I rummage thru the deepest, darkest storage and there it is, still in the box. Good thing I never got a round to hanging it in the den. BTW you don't have to mount the bell, you just have to have it.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
baja-mama

Default Where do you get a bell?

I did a search for bell and they don't have any at Overton's. Boatus has a brass bell for 65.00. Is that what is really required?
baja-mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:07 AM   #8
ITD

I bought a little bell (about 2" diameter) with a handle on it. Keep it in the glove box, not sure how much I paid, but I don't think it was over $10.00.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Waterbaby

Default I Didn't Know, either

A bell? That's news to me also, and I've been boating up here for, well, let's just say a few decades. Thanks for the info, tho -- luckily I have a few bells hanging around the house, and there is now one in the boat bag for the next trip up!

And, Congrats on joining the boating world!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
jrc

If you just want to meet the NH rules for boats over 26', then any bell will do. At least I can't find a size requirement in the rules. But if you need to meet the federal rules for boats over 40' (12m) then you need an 8" (200mm) bell.

It all depends where and what you boat.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:35 PM   #11
Little Bear

For what it's. worth (probably nothing), the legal length of a boat (according to MP for ticketing purposes), does not include the swim platform.
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
Kamper

I believe the reason for two spotters is so you can track each "skier" if they fall if in different locations.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
SBC

Default Ring any bells?

The NH law states that any vessel 26 feet and longer must carry a bell on board. The other requirement in sound producing devices for a vessel that size is that you have a hand (read sports type can) or power horn audible for at least one mile.

Why a bell? If during operation your power systems were to fail you would have the back-up of a bell. This makes more sense when you think that a boat of this size is more likely to be out on the ocean, a much more trying environment than the inland waters. When you play with the big boys on the big pond redundancy is your friend.

Another fact is that a bell can be heard for miles in most conditions. Think of any visit you have made to the coast and you might have heard a gong (buoy bell) while you were strolling on the beach or whatever. The sound of that gong was probably from several miles away-but you still heard it. You can't always say that about some of those wimpy horns they put on boats that sound like buzzers. The one on my runabout sounds like that and I hate it. I'm not a VW Beetle...but too cheap to buy bigger.

And therein is another piece of logic behind the requirement-the bigger the vessel the more 'power' you need to signal, the more fire extinguishers you need, etc.

Length of your boat, sometime in combination with other factors, also determines how much it will cost to register.

And Kamper is exactly right; two spotters to each watch the two being towed. The spotters must be 13 y.o. minimum and able bodied-that is able to assist those in the water that they are responsible to watch. Of course we know the operator, in NH, does not qualify as a spotter. The spotters will keep a sharp lookout on the fallen skier(s) and sometimes maintain a 'pointing' stance so that the operator can watch traffic and maneuver, safely, to recover the person in the water from the operators side of the vessel, thereby maintaining good visual contact.

The 150' safe passage rule applies to recovering and guarding your skier in the water too. I hate to see those operators whip around and be in such a hurry that they practically run over the person that just got a pant load of water in a fall. Seems they just don't know how much momentum a 3000 lb. boat has and they 'swamp' the swimmer with massive wakes.

Sorry, got off the subject...

Enjoy your new craft for many years. Some envy you for as we boaters all know, bigger is better!
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #14
kjbathe

Default The bells... the bells...

SBC pretty much covered it, but another important point about the bell is that it produces a sound that isn't limited to a particular direction. Electric horns, air horns and devices of that nature produce loud sounds in a specific/limited direction. The ring of a bell not only carries well, it carries in every direction.

Regarding the number and types of spotters, the intent is that you have a spotter for each rider and that the spotter is capable of rendering aid to the rider(s). If, God forbid, your 250-pound skier is rendered unconcious during a fall, you're going to want more than a 90 pound 13-year-old trying to get him/her back in the boat. Luckily those circumstances are rare, but the thinking behind the rules make pretty good sense -- safety of the rider.

This topic reminds of the night I saw a single driver (no observer) towing a father and daughter on a tube toward the broads -- a harmless situation that could so quickly turn ugly. Now if we can just get some summer weather back!
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #15
jetskier

Talking Safety Equipment to the max

I stopped at West Marine today and am the proud owner of an economy 6" brass bell. I could have gone for the deluxe model, but I did not want to show off.

While I was there, I picked up first aid kit (always a good idea) and a Jolly Roger. Oh yes, I have a second air horn now too. So, I think that I have it covered.

Thanx for all the input!

Jetskier
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #16
Paugus Bay Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear
For what it's. worth (probably nothing), the legal length of a boat (according to MP for ticketing purposes), does not include the swim platform.
Interestingly, it (LOA) does matter for registration purposes (according to the tables that detrmine fees).
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #17
lfm

Thumbs down 13 years old to spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe
Regarding the number and types of spotters, the intent is that you have a spotter for each rider and that the spotter is capable of rendering aid to the rider(s). If, God forbid, your 250-pound skier is rendered unconcious during a fall, you're going to want more than a 90 pound 13-year-old trying to get him/her back in the boat. Luckily those circumstances are rare, but the thinking behind the rules make pretty good sense -- safety of the rider.

This topic reminds of the night I saw a single driver (no observer) towing a father and daughter on a tube toward the broads -- a harmless situation that could so quickly turn ugly. Now if we can just get some summer weather back!
I would trust my 10 year old son to spot for me, and have been frustrated on many occasions when it has been just Mom and son on the boat - so no skiing for me. Ironically, if I am interpreting the boating regs correctly, Mom could along with her safe boating certificate allow him to take the helm while she spotted for the skier. Certainly not prudent, or within the spirit of the regs, but within the letter of the law?
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
Waterbaby

Default Butt............(pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident
Interestingly, it (LOA) does matter for registration purposes (according to the tables that detrmine fees).
Good thing my Cobalt has the hydraulic swim platform then, lol, which becomes part of the stern when it's in the "up" position!!!!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #19
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
Does anybody know... ?
http://boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/capacity.htm

Bow to transom.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
Paugus Bay Resident

"This does not include outboard motors, brackets, rudders, bow attachments, or swim platforms and ladders not a molded part of the hull"

The key is "not a molded part of the hull". Most newer boats have integral platforms.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:51 AM   #21
jrc

I'm pretty sure that rather than getting out a tape measure, the MP will simply read the length from your registation.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #22
Paugus Bay Resident

JRC, from what I've heard at some local marinas, its starting to be an issue since the registration is supposed to be based on LOA, but is usually based on the bill of sale. Sometimes they don't jive, and if the state's missing out on any revenue, well ... you know the rest
Old 08-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #23
jetskier

Default Registration

The marine patrol used the length as shown on the registration. The boat has a swim platform and the hull length is actually less. As such, based upon hull length, I would not have to carry a bell. With the platfrom (LOA - shown on the registration), I am the proud owner of a bell.

Hope this helps.

Jetskier
Old 08-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #24
John A. Birdsall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper
Congratulations on the new boat! I have never heard a boat ring it's bell. I betcha it's a rule most arent aware of until they get stopped.

Now that you mention it, I remember reading about it somewhere but cant remember why you need a boat if you have a horn. My fancy new VHF has a fog-horn menu and selecting "Anchor" gives you a simulated bell. Maybe it was assumed to be the smallest boat expected to anchor in open waters?

I guess it's one of those traditions we've lost track of.

Good luck!

Kemper I would think you would need a horn if you have a boat, you do not need a boat if you have a horn though.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #25
John A. Birdsall

Default spotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfm
I would trust my 10 year old son to spot for me, and have been frustrated on many occasions when it has been just Mom and son on the boat - so no skiing for me. Ironically, if I am interpreting the boating regs correctly, Mom could along with her safe boating certificate allow him to take the helm while she spotted for the skier. Certainly not prudent, or within the spirit of the regs, but within the letter of the law?
I wonder what the law would say in this case if the spotter had to go in the water after the skier? I suspect the HP and size of the boat would put the 10 year old operator in violation of the law. I also suspect that would be the same as a 13 year old.

Nice try, When I was in the Navy and just got a brand new boat, and a new son, I put the boat in the water and had my wife pull me on skies. ah my son was the spotter, did not do a good job, he slept thru it. And I let my wife drive my brand new boat. What in the world was I thinking?
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:42 AM   #26
lfm

Default Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
I wonder what the law would say in this case if the spotter had to go in the water after the skier? I suspect the HP and size of the boat would put the 10 year old operator in violation of the law. I also suspect that would be the same as a 13 year old.
How about this? The operator shuts down the motor since he has a swimmer entering the water near the boat, thus he is no longer operating the boat.

Anyway, if the Marine Patrol just happened to be nearby, I imagine I'd be glad to see them in the case a spotter had to get in the water to help me!
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #27
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
Kemper (sic) ...
You should see me wok and chu gum.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 PM   #28
Waterbaby

Default Better Safe Than Sorry......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
Does anybody know if this 26ft rule is LOA or length along the waterline?

I'd rather have the bell on board and not be written up than not have the bell...... now that I've learned that rule!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #29
Airwaves

Quote:
lfm wrote
How about this? The operator shuts down the motor since he has a swimmer entering the water near the boat, thus he is no longer operating the boat.
That would only work if you were my mother. She had eyes in the back of her head!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #30
Waterbaby

Talking Part of the Equipment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
That would only work if you were my mother. She had eyes in the back of her head!
All mothers do -- part of the bodily changes we go through when pregnant!!!!! (and you thought all we did was get, um, fat, lol!)

Here's a funny story for ya -- my mom has always like having someone brush her hair, it really relaxes her. When I was little she thought I loved brushing her hair cause I would often volunteer to do it....... I finally fessed up recently and told her I was looking for the eyes in the back of her head!!!!!