Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
jrc

Default High speed accident

Boating accident on lake Ossipee:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...142/-1/CITIZEN
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:26 AM   #2
Commodore

Arrow You must be a member to read article

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc
One of my pet peeves: links to sites that require membership or a PW without warning. Even if it is free and easy some of us choose not to subscribe.

If you, not just jrc but everyone, link to a site requiring membership please make a note of that requirement and give us a brief synopsis of the item.

Maybe someone could make an account with the name Winnie, PW = Winnie and we all could use that??

Thanks
Old 06-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Orion

Default shooting the messenger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
One of my pet peeves: links to sites that require membership or a PW without warning. Even if it is free and easy some of us choose not to subscribe.
You get a warning when you click the link. Some memberships, such as this (no cost) one, are so innocuous that once subscribed, it becomes transparent to the subsciber and one often forgets there's even a membership logon since you don't have to keep logging on. I'd prefer to maintain the free flow of info by providing whatever links are available for relevant info and let the "consumer" decide if they want to subscribe or not without burdening the "messenger". Thanks for the info jrc.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Paugus Bay Resident

Sunday, June 18, 2006
Merrimack man injured in Ossipee boating accident

From Staff Reports

OSSIPEE — A Merrimack man received minor injuries Saturday when he was thrown from the boat he was operating.

Brian Provencher, 39, of 86 Baboosic Lake Road, Merrimack, was taken to Huggins Hospital in Wolfeboro, where he was treated and released, according to New Hampshire Marine Patrol.

Provencher was traveling with an unidentified passenger who was also thrown from the boat, but was uninjured in the incident.

According to Marine Patrol, Provencher and his passenger were headed south across Ossipee Lake at a approximately 70 miles per hour when Provencher's boat crossed a wake from another boat and turned sharply. Both occupants were wearing personal flotation devices.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #5
Kamper

I agree with the above about linking. It's always correct to have a link for attribution but you should still cut-and-paste the story or at least the leading paragraph if it's a lengthy article.

This accident illustrates the value of wearing PFD's, in a positive manor.

FYI - that wasnt my boat.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
jigemup

Default I was on the scene

I was there when the event occurred and can tell you that it was the best illustration of how something can go wrong so quickly on a boat. I know the operator and he passed my location while heading to mid-lake. He is very experienced and has been boating for at least 20 years. He hit a wake going about 55mph (not the 70mph that the union misleader reported) and went airborne. Upon impact the motor broke free from the mount (defective mount perhaps?...don't know) and both on board were ejected from the boat. I can tell you that this wake was no larger than the other 1000 or so the operater confronts every year but the distance between waves made it tricky. There was virtually no boat traffic on the water that early and the wake had travelled a distance, spreading the waves out. That fact, coupled with the speed caused the accident. Operation of the boat was niether reckless nor suffered from inexperience of the operator. The operator and passenger had PFDs on and the kill switch was attached (tournament rules). We all learned a valuable lesson that morning and are thankful that our friend was OK. And yes the outboard was rescued too.

The other scary part was later in the day witnessing all the pontoons and runabouts with kids and adults riding on the bows. With as much traffic on that lake creating wakes later in the day, it's a wonder more accidents don't happen. I guess I just can't see why people would put kids up front and then not slow down for a wake. The accident earlier in the day illustrated just how fast something out of the ordinary can happen.
jigemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
jrc

Sorry about the link requiring a subscription. On this board we've discussed this quite a few times before, so I didn't think to mention it. I won't cut and paste articles, it's a funny quirk I have about obeying laws.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
ApS

Question Separating wheat from chaff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigemup
I was there when the event occurred and can tell you that it was the best illustration of how something can go wrong so quickly on a boat. I know the operator and he passed my location while heading to mid-lake. He is very experienced and has been boating for at least 20 years. He hit a wake going about 55mph (not the 70mph that the union misleader reported) and went airborne. Upon impact the motor broke free from the mount (defective mount perhaps?...don't know) and both on board were ejected from the boat. I can tell you that this wake was no larger than the other 1000 or so the operater confronts every year but the distance between waves made it tricky. There was virtually no boat traffic on the water that early and the wake had travelled a distance, spreading the waves out. That fact, coupled with the speed caused the accident. Operation of the boat was niether reckless nor suffered from inexperience of the operator. The operator and passenger had PFDs on and the kill switch was attached (tournament rules). We all learned a valuable lesson that morning and are thankful that our friend was OK. And yes the outboard was rescued too.

The other scary part was later in the day witnessing all the pontoons and runabouts with kids and adults riding on the bows. With as much traffic on that lake creating wakes later in the day, it's a wonder more accidents don't happen. I guess I just can't see why people would put kids up front and then not slow down for a wake. The accident earlier in the day illustrated just how fast something out of the ordinary can happen.
This isn't a case of "operator error"?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #9
Airwaves

Default Accients Are Only Accidents When...

Here is one that WON'T make the statistics!

A jetskiier lost control, or lost power, on the Merrimack River in Lowell Thursday evening. A member of the Lowell Motor Boat Club saw the person in the water, hanging onto his jetski, as he headed toward the falls. (The current at the falls is still running very fast!)

The LMBC member called to the jetskiier to let go of his jetski and hang onto the safety ropes (installed by a member of the Lowell Motor Boat Club) so that he would not be swept over the falls.

The LMBC member was able to get onto the water, rescue the jetskiier and bring him ashore, the jetski went over the falls.

A number of Lowell police and fire emergency personnel had arrived on scene, the fire dept attempted to launch an inflatable boat with a small engine but the rescue had already occurred.

Here's why there will be NO OFFICIAL RECORD!

Not a single Police officier or firefighter thought to get the victim's name!

Unbelieveable!!!!

Friday morning the LPD called to the LMBC to see if the person who rescued the victim knew his name, he did not. Why did the LPD call? Because they found a jetski in the waters of the Merrimack River in Lawrence on Friday, but because they didn't know who the Lowell victim was, they had no way of knowing if the Lawrence Jetski was another incident or not!

According to a source in the media. LPD denies the event even happened!

So, I'll add one more to the boating accident/fatalities list that I am keeping, but it will apparently be denied because no Lowell police officer asked the victim for his name!

That is NEGLIGENCE!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:40 PM   #10
jrc

I guess I'm missing your point. It will be very simple for any law enforcement officer to look up the registration for the the jet-ski and find the owners name. That said it is a little boneheaded to forget to ask the guys name.

Just because the LPD doesn't record the accident doesn't mean they denied the event happened. I'm sure the police/fire logs recorded the dispatch.

Do you know how many accidents on the road, in the water, or just during life in general happen and don't get recorded.

Have a minor fender bender with your car, then call the police to come out. Usually they won't unless there is an injury. In NH you don't even have to report an auto accident unless there is an injury or substantial property damage. (I forget the exact dollar amount)
Old 07-01-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
Airwaves

Sure they could run the bow numbers and see who the jet ski belonged to, and that is probably what they ended up doing. But since they didn't get the name in the first place they created much much more work for themselves and another department downstream. The LPD told the folks at the boat club that Lawrence was concerned that the jet ski discovered may have belonged to a seperate incident and that someone was still in the water!

The denial aspect of the story came to me from a media source who called them to check on the report. He told me that they denied it happened in the first place.

I don't know how things are where you live, but rescuing a person about to go over the Pawtucket Falls in Lowell is not a fender bender that goes unreported.

Also, the damage to the jetski was probably sufficient enough that it should also have been reported to the state. Off the top of my head I don't recall the monetary threashold in Massachusetts but in looking at the remaining jetski it looked fairly new and in good condition so I'm sure it exceeded the damage threashold.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #12
tbutler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore

If you, not just jrc but everyone, link to a site requiring membership please make a note of that requirement and give us a brief synopsis of the item.

Maybe someone could make an account with the name Winnie, PW = Winnie and we all could use that??

Thanks
That's already done on a larger scale:
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/www.citizen.com
tbutler is offline   Reply With Quote