Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2006, 08:36 AM   #1
bobio

Default unwritten lake rule

I am new to boating, about 5 years now. The one thing that I constantly see is boaters who decide to stop in the miidle of a highly traveled passage and either set up their boat, swim, tube or just stop to look around. I have also noticed this out on the lake where boaters stop out in the middle of a highly traveled section causing other boaters going at a good clip to zig-zag all over the place.This becomes a problem to other boaters who want to follow the 150 rule when comming out of the end of Paugus or through the Weirs channel. Especially in the Weirs channel heading out to the main lake. There you have Marine patrol watching everything thats going on. With so many boats trying to get going and get out of everyone else's way a stopped or slow moving boat puts other boats in jeopardy of receiving a ticket. I realize that it is their right to do this but shouldn't there be some kind of edicate?
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Cal

I've noticed the same thing which raises and interesting question. If two boats came through the channel and made a left toward Meredith and were 100' apart and at idle speed , wouldn't they remain 100' apart and wind up idling all the way to Meredith unless someone stopped and allowed the other boat to go beyond the 150' limit to be able to legally increase speed.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
wildwoodfam

Default Never had a problem at Weirs....

... and I have been boating on Winni since I was 12 years old (now 40 - wow, hate to admit that!). Also - if I am reading your situation correctly - there should never be a situation where two boats are coming through the channel next to one another as this is a case of "bad etiquette" and is also dangerous since its one lane each way through...but if in fact two boats were coming out together one would obviously need to make the first move ahead to clear the other boat - again you shouldnt be that close to the other boat coming out of that busy channel so as to prohibit yourself from heading off toward Meredith. I've never tried to be the guy who took off first - too much to lose in that situation - when I am out boating - I am having fun and realxing, especially in those crowded areas.

That said - I have never seen a boat idling in that area obstructing other boats - even the ones pulled over by the MP - its a pretty wide area to be boating in... only time I have ever encountered an issue was coming under LI Bridge and having another boat come out from the sandbar at full speed into that channel...and then cut his engine as soon as he realized what he'd done - which made matters worse because he just sat there looking perplexed. As a rule - this is a crazy weekend - so I tend to lay low - and cruise the waters nice and slow - taking in all the sights.

Enjoy and happy boating!

Last edited by wildwoodfam; 07-03-2006 at 04:31 PM.
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobio
I am new to boating, about 5 years now. The one thing that I constantly see is boaters who decide to stop in the miidle of a highly traveled passage and either set up their boat, swim, tube or just stop to look around. I have also noticed this out on the lake where boaters stop out in the middle of a highly traveled section causing other boaters going at a good clip to zig-zag all over the place.This becomes a problem to other boaters who want to follow the 150 rule when comming out of the end of Paugus or through the Weirs channel. Especially in the Weirs channel heading out to the main lake. There you have Marine patrol watching everything thats going on. With so many boats trying to get going and get out of everyone else's way a stopped or slow moving boat puts other boats in jeopardy of receiving a ticket. I realize that it is their right to do this but shouldn't there be some kind of edicate?
Perhaps the boaters who stop or go slowly in busy areas are doing so specifically to slow everyone down. This would presumably be caused by the same sort of "power trip mentality" of folks who hang out in the passing lane doing the speed limit on highways. I don't let it get me down. If I need to go slowly to be safe, I go slowly. I would never stop or go slowly in a busy area specifically to slow folks down, nor would I ever hang out in the passing lane.

I do have to disagree with you on one point though. A stopped or slow moving boat never puts anyone in jeopardy of getting a ticket. Breaking the law does that.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #5
Rayhunt

Default Etiquette

Yes the proper etiquette is for all the people who are trying to get going and zig zagging to "SLOW IT DOWN" !
The boat or boats being overtaken have the right of way .. PERIOD
I still cant figure out what the rush could possibly be sometimes.. Have patience and enjoy the scenery.
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

The other day in the Weirs channel,I saw a 24' pontoon boat with about 12 people on board,pushed by Merc 40..........must have been crawling along about 1/2mph so everyone could sightsee. Problem is,all the boats piled up in back of them had a tough time of it.Big inboards and boats with twins just can't throttle down that slow and they were all zigzagging,some having trouble in the currant holding a straight line.Like everyone else said in this thread.....if everyone just used common sense.....
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 AM   #7
Rayhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
The other day in the Weirs channel,I saw a 24' pontoon boat with about 12 people on board,pushed by Merc 40..........must have been crawling along about 1/2mph so everyone could sightsee. Problem is,all the boats piled up in back of them had a tough time of it.Big inboards and boats with twins just can't throttle down that slow and they were all zigzagging,some having trouble in the currant holding a straight line.Like everyone else said in this thread.....if everyone just used common sense.....
Ill agree thats one place some people go too slow ..With the current in there you have to keep it headway speed which is not the same for all boats..Ive gone around many people in there only because I could not maintain steerage. Then they start shouting and using hand gestures because they are real friendly and understanding like the folks on Bear island
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
bobio

I guess the question was about the proper etiquette. (I'm sorry for the misspell the first time) I'm in no hurry, but did you see how backed up the Weirs channel was on Saturday? If these slower boaters could move to an area that is not in the path of travel there would not be such a pile-up. I realize that some people are in a great hurry, but I think people should be aware of what situations thay may create due to their actions.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #9
jrc

I've made one roundtrip through the channel this season and that's enough until the current slows.

I know if you dock in Paugus, you really don't have a choice.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Mee-n-Mac

Talking Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobio
While I don't frequent the Paugus Bay / Weirs channel I see the same type of thing in Alton Bay. While not exactly common, you do see people just drifting about and swimming off the stern smack in the middle of what would be the "sea lane" for boats going up/down the bay. Why they do this, especially when a little travel could put them in a less travelled spot, is beyond me. Like staying to the right, even when not in a defined channel, it's something that should be common-boating-sense. Perhaps we on the forum should come up with a list of unwritten boating etiquette rules ? Then I'm rigging up a new horn to the alternate horn switch position. It'll issue a loud farting sound when I activate it ... like the next time I come upon a violation of the etiquette rules. If we get enough people to do the same eventually they will ask why they keep hearing the farting sound from all the other boaters. They'll be told, by people in the know, that it's because their boating stinks !
Old 07-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
hazelnut

Default Bothered

I mean no disrespect to the original poster but the subject of this thread bothers me quite a bit. This is just the attitude that should not be present on what is supposed to be a relaxing, vacation, get-away, call it what you want. This I-93/I-90, road rage, rush hour traffic type of boating is far too common. I agree with the advice of some of the posters here "slow-down, relax, enjoy yourself." bobio, I realize that you qualified your original post by saying that other peoples actions have an adverse affect on boat traffic etc. I agree! Unfortunately not everyone sees things that way. Your comment was that the people who are parked enjoying the water, sights, or setting up for watersports, etc. are the problem. I don't see it that way. The problem lies with the impatient, get out of my way, I'm in a hurry, stressed out, I brought my bad attitude road ragers.

However, I will not dismiss your point totally, there are some individuals who seem hell bent on putting their children in harms way by waterskiing, tubing, etc. through major traffic areas. The word etiquette is not what comes to mind in that situation, it's stupidity.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #12
bobio

I'm not supporting the "road rage" type of boating. I'm simply saying that some people should use better judgement when they stop and be more aware of other boaters and the situations that they may create. As I said before, it is their right but maybe there should be some rule( written or un-written) that could make people more aware. I don't think it would make the enjoyment of boating any different.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
While I don't frequent the Paugus Bay / Weirs channel I see the same type of thing in Alton Bay. While not exactly common, you do see people just drifting about and swimming off the stern smack in the middle of what would be the "sea lane" for boats going up/down the bay. Why they do this, especially when a little travel could put them in a less travelled spot, is beyond me. Like staying to the right, even when not in a defined channel, it's something that should be common-boating-sense. Perhaps we on the forum should come up with a list of unwritten boating etiquette rules ? Then I'm rigging up a new horn to the alternate horn switch position. It'll issue a loud farting sound when I activate it ... like the next time I come upon a violation of the etiquette rules. If we get enough people to do the same eventually they will ask why they keep hearing the farting sound from all the other boaters. They'll be told, by people in the know, that it's because their boating stinks !
I think you need to name this new horn the "flatulator". It would also help the situation greatly if you could you could invent a directional "flatulence essence" device that could deliver a lingering olfactory effect to said boat. The "flatulence essence" device could be used in tandem with the "flatulator" or alone in the "SBD" mode, if you don't want to be identified as the purveyor of said message.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
Mee-n-Mac

Talking The Flatulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
I think you need to name this new horn the "flatulator". It would also help the situation greatly if you could you could invent a directional "flatulence essence" device that could deliver a lingering olfactory effect to said boat. The "flatulence essence" device could be used in tandem with the "flatulator" or alone in the "SBD" mode, if you don't want to be identified as the purveyor of said message.
It shall be named The Flatulator(TM) ! As for delivering the "essence" ... hmmm ... perhaps I've been watching too many of the ads for that new Pirates of the Carribean movie and reading too many spud gun posts but I'm thinking every boat needs a good hand cannon. Using a gunale mounted (in rod holder) mini-spudgun and a suitable projectile (stinky water balloon) an essence delivery system might be made. Not sure how to get the important SBD mode using this method though. Let me ponder it some more
Old 07-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #15
gtxrider

Default Ignorant or arrogant

I find the same type of behavior in the super market or on the roads. People parking the cart on one side of the aisle and spending what seems like hours reading labels or prices. On the road they stop in the left lane to make a right turn.

As my grandfather used to say hurray for me the heck with you!

Look in Overtons they have water ballon sling shots.

If you fill the water ballon and place it in the freezer over night it does not break before hitting the intended target.

One of these hard water ballons place just below the water line should do the trick.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #16
ghfromaltonbay

Default Taking your half out of the middle

I agree with Mac about the boneheads in Alton Bay. I have seen boaters dropping children into the water to go tubing right in the channel off Sandy Point with the Mount coming down the bay in full view!!! They get "offended" if the Mount toots for them to get out of the way. This has nothing to do with road rage, it's stupidity.

Today I had a perfect example: As I exited the supermarket through the ONLY exit door there was a gentleman blocking the egress standing just outside the electric door reading his sales slip. Two of us behind him kept saying "excuse me", but he was oblivious. Just glad neither of us got whacked by the door.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #17
gtxrider

Default Stop your whining!

Oh stop your whining you! You are at the lake this weekened!
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:25 AM   #18
jceria

Default Clueless

I've been boating on the lake since the mid 80's. So many clueless boaters, ya now know why the state is making in mandatory to educate boaters.
Someone can go out and buy a boat with almost as much horse power as the space shuttle and simply drop it in and go with out any education or experience.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #19
masssteve

We were on the way to Meredith the other day and there was a boat pulling a tube and was all over the place. We were going down the middle of Meredith bay. He cuts in front of me, made me come off plane and turn, and then gave me the finger! This is on a busy day and this idiots endangering this poor kid on this tube in the middle of traffic and he gets mad at me! If the driver reads this post, I'd love to have words!
masssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #20
skiier

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssteve
We were on the way to Meredith the other day and there was a boat pulling a tube and was all over the place. We were going down the middle of Meredith bay. He cuts in front of me, made me come off plane and turn, and then gave me the finger! This is on a busy day and this idiots endangering this poor kid on this tube in the middle of traffic and he gets mad at me! If the driver reads this post, I'd love to have words!
Perhaps there was a better direction in which the driver could have turned (I don't know), but he had the right of way regardless.

If everyone obeyed the rules, the kid would not be in danger because any oncoming boats would slow down.
skiier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #21
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Courtesy more than safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiier
Perhaps there was a better direction in which the driver could have turned (I don't know), but he had the right of way regardless.

If everyone obeyed the rules, the kid would not be in danger because any oncoming boats would slow down.
For me the issue is more one of common-sense and courtesy rather than outright safety. As mentioned by GH and myself above, we see things that just aren't smart and certainly indicate a lack of courtesy to others using the lake. Look at the pic below and note the skier trying to start out by FL 23 (indicated by arrow) - Sandy Pt. The boats should pass btw FL23 and the shore to the right. There was a fair amount of traffic (more boats just out of frame) going both ways when these guys were trying to ski. Why they didn't go a few hundred yards, up/down or across, to get out of the "channel" is beyond me. Especially as it became obvious from his multiple falls that the skier was a newbie. He did eventually get up though I don't think he was in dire danger of getting hit but they sure did mess up traffic flow unecessarily.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 07-26-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default designated skiing areas

All though I am not a big fan of it....seeing examples like MEE-N-MAC pointed out makes me wonder if designated skiing area might be in order these days....or conversly non-skiing areas......At least from say about 10 AM Sat. till sun down....and likewise on Sunday...........
Old 07-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #23
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiier

How do you know that the driver had the right of way regardless? Massteve never told us who was on the right. What rule requires oncoming boats to slow down near tubers. As long as the 150' rule is obeyed, there is no requirement to slow down near tubers. Boats pulling tubers have no special right of way status.

Now when it comes to tubers, skiers, swimmers, divers or anyone else in the water, I always give a wide berth. Nothing scares me more than hitting a person with my boat.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #24
lfm

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
All though I am not a big fan of it....seeing examples like MEE-N-MAC pointed out makes me wonder if designated skiing area might be in order these days....or conversly non-skiing areas......At least from say about 10 AM Sat. till sun down....and likewise on Sunday...........
What a great idea, maybe we should just declare weekends no boating days making the lake just that much safer.

Seriously, More regulations - no thanks! I like to ski and always use my best judgement when picking an area to ski. Its soooo much better if you can find a quiet area anyway. While I have to admit I have seen someone foolishly trying to learn to ski just outside the channel in Paugus Bay on a busy weekend, other boaters like JRC gave them a wid berth and probably shook their heads along with me as we watched the poor skiier trying to get up amidst all the big wakes washing over him.
lfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #25
Dave R

The operator of the boat in Mee-N-Mac's photo needs some common sense. If I were an MP, that person would probably get a reckless operation ticket unless they were respectful and obviously sorry for doing something so stupid. What a dumb place to teach someone to waterski.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #26
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Common sense

To All,

Seems to me that what we really need here is some simple, common sense.

I'm one of those slow pontoons.. 20' 50HP... I go out on the lake when conditions are "good" for a pontoon. I Don't go to places that are bad for me.. I avoid spots that are not good for me...because of "Chop" or big wakes

The real problem comes from the folks that can clearly see a big old slow pontoon.. and don't seem to understand the "give way" rules... why go roaring in front of me.. and make me change direction to deal with the wake.. when they could just as easily cross my stern?

You know, the lake is for all of us... sailboats, pontoons, jet ski, rowboats and big high powered boats..

I want all of us to enjoy the lake.... we all should want the same thing...

Simple Common Sense... it's not all that hard...