Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
Phantom

Default Boat Registration Numbers

Okay all -- here's a question for you.

I now have 2 boats, one I keep here in Mass at our lakefront residance, the other is our "Winni" boat -- larger/newer etc bowrider. The second is currently registered in NH as that is where she floats and is kept 99% of the time.

My dilemna -- In Mass I was fortunate enough (many many many years ago) to get what for all intensive purposes is a "Vanity Plate" Registration i.e. single digit followed by my initials. I have held this Registration in Mass for over 40 years now( yup, I'm not a kid anymore). I have been trying to see if NH will extend me a courtesy and allow me to draw that same registration number under NH tags --- problem is everytime I try and talk to someone at the "Registry" they (1) act as if I'm out of my mind (2) put me on Departmental pass the buck/phone (3) Tell me no such registrations are available in NH. The latter I know to be "bull" for I've seen numerous low / single digit registrations around Winni -- Least of which is the Mount NH 0001 MW

Would anyone be "in the know" as to how I can break through this buraucratic "BS" and find someone sane to discuss it with ....... even if they flatly tell me NO -- at least I'd know they understood what I was asking.

A proper department head name & direct phone# (or e-mail) would be extremely helpful.............. let's see what sort of resources this forum really has.

And before someone asks --I am not transferring my MA registration to the "Winni" boat because it is in active use on our other boat.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
jrc

When they tell you it can't be done, ask them why the MV Mount Washington is NH 0001 MT and the smaller boats are NH 0002 MT etc.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
Skip

Smile NH politics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom
...Would anyone be "in the know" as to how I can break through this buraucratic "BS" and find someone sane to discuss it with ....... even if they flatly tell me NO -- at least I'd know they understood what I was asking.

A proper department head name & direct phone# (or e-mail) would be extremely helpful.............. let's see what sort of resources this forum really has...
Like three and four digit NH motor vehicle plates, you will need a political connection to get the plates you want.

The appropriate politician? Why none other than the State Executive Councilor that represents the district in which you vacation.

I believe in your case that would be Ray Burton.

The Executive Council has direct authority over the State personnel that would need to be persuaded to grant you your wish.

This is the link to Executive Councilor Ray Burton that should give you the necessary information in contacting his office.

If he can't/won't help, you are probably out o' luck!

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Arrow Vanity Bow Numbers

Phantom,

I had an almost similar situation. Our family boat was MS 3 and my Dad's initials. When we took the boat to Lake Winnipesaukee (mid August for the rest of the season) we got the NH License PLATE. I recall that we eventually got a vanity registration plate for the boat with our last name. I still have a 1970 NH Boat plate hung on the wall.

Anyway, about 10 or 12 years ago I wanted to pick NH bow numbers for my boat, which stays on Winnie. A registration # that ended with "CQ". I even had a few 4 digit numbers I would like in case one or two digit numbers were not issued.

I wrote and called and was passed around to several folks in Concord. Dept of Safety, Registry, Boat Registration and other folks. They all understood what I wanted but told me there was no way (no way for me maybe). Their suggestion was for me to drive around to issuing locations and ask them to see what numbers they had on hand and maybe find one I liked.

I did not try the method Skip suggested. He always has good advice. Let us know how you make out (but if you get your vanity bow reg, PM me the details first so I beat the flood of applications )

You might think that with prolific NH vanity car plates that the State would embrace a similar system (for a fee of course) for boat bow numbers.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote