Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
persistence

Default Anchoring

So, where can one anchor and where can one not anchor? I seem to read and hear conflicting opinions.

thx
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Not Anchoring/but Rafting

There are lake restrictions as to where one can raft, ie mooring two or more boats together. The best was to see where the "no rafting" areas are is the Bizer map.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
persistence

yea, as far as I know this is outside those areas. How about about paddling / walking a 13' powerboat into knee deep water next to but outside of a town beach swim line and dropping a mushroom anchor. What are the restrictions?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by persistence View Post
yea, as far as I know this is outside those areas. How about about paddling / walking a 13' powerboat into knee deep water next to but outside of a town beach swim line and dropping a mushroom anchor. What are the restrictions?
Non that I know of as long as you are outside their swim lines.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

You also can not anchor in a channel (as in front of a bridge)>
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #6
persistence

Agree on the bridge / channel areas. This is a public part of the beach as far as i know, outside the swim ropes. You are allowed to launch canoe / kayak etc there. A neighbor however thought they had rights to the area, which maybe they do. I'm trying to clarify for myself.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
DBreskin

The lake is owned by the public and held in trust by the state. The lake is public property up to the mean high water line; that means you can legally stand (or anchor) in ankle-deep water right in front of someone's private property. They have no legal standing to force you to move.

That said, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Woodsy

Not necessarily true...

While the public does own to the high water mark....

Waterfront/shoreline property owners have littoral rights to the water in front of their property. This allows then to put up docks/mooring/swim rafts/swim lines etc.

You cannot anchor and impede a property owners access or usage.

Woodsy
Old 09-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
There are lake restrictions as to where one can raft, ie mooring two or more boats together. The best was to see where the "no rafting" areas are is the Bizer map.
As far as I know.. two boats can tie together in a NRZ (No Rafting Zone), but three or more cannot.

Yes, it's confusing as after all it's called a "No" Rafting Zone. So two can raft, but three or more can not.

Also, in a NRZ, you can't anchor within 150 feet of shore, so this is in effect a sort of no-anchor zone too (perhaps it should be referenced as a limited anchor zone). Keep in mind that some NRZs have different 'no anchor' rules (such as the one in Braun bay).

Confusing, yes!

So if a homeowner's house is in a NRZ, then you're not supposed to anchor within 150 feet of the shoreline. If his home is not in a NRZ, then you can anchor anywhere you like, as long as you are not impeding navigation to anyone (such as access to his dock, mooring, etc.).
Old 09-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
persistence

How do you know it's NRZ? I Don't see it on the list. If I'm a good 30' off a dock and probably a good 50' from shore, closer to the swim buoys, and see a boat travel in and out effortlessly multiple times. I don't see how that's impeding navigation. Especially in waist deep water where it's already impeded by lake level itself. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2016, 04:16 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
How do you know it's NRZ? I Don't see it on the list. If I'm a good 30' off a dock and probably a good 50' from shore, closer to the swim buoys, and see a boat travel in and out effortlessly multiple times. I don't see how that's impeding navigation. Especially in waist deep water where it's already impeded by lake level itself. Thx

It would be easier if you gave us the specific location.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
persistence

Long Island town beach just over the bridge.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
depasseg

Quote:
Long Island town beach just over the bridge.

I'm not aware of any anchoring restrictions over there. I believe there are grounding/beaching restrictions and a restriction against tying up to rocks and trees though.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
Rich

I think this is the official list, I don't see any reference to Long Island or the beach.

source: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rule.../saf-c400.html

the list below is only listing the areas from Lake Winnipesaukee:

(note that #7 in Winter Harbor is currently under debate as its description seems to be no longer valid)

Quote:
Saf-C 407.03* Prohibited Areas.
********* (a)* Rafting, as defined in RSA 270:42, V, shall be prohibited on the following portions of Lake Winnipesaukee, unless covered by one of the exceptions specified in RSA 270:45:
(1)* The area known as Kona Mansion, in the town of Moultonborough, east of an imaginary line running north and south from the red top mark buoy located on the western tip of Avery's Point on the south to the Kona Farm gas docks on the north;
(2)* Small's Cove in the town of Alton, southwest of an imaginary line running southeast-northwest from light 75 on the northwestern end to the northernmost point of land marking the entrance to the first cove, south of Small's Cove on the south;
(3)* Wentworth Cove, southwest of Governor's Island Bridge west of an imaginary north-south line, running from light 43 on the north to the black top buoy, located off Wentworth Cove Estates on the south;
(4)* Braun Bay, within 300 feet of both fish and game property lines, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;
(5)* Braun Bay, at a distance less than 75 feet from shore, to be delineated by marine patrol with orange mooring balls;
(6)* The area known as Cedar Cove, specifically identified as the area opposite Plum Island which borders the town of Alton tax map 18, lot numbers 12 through 20 and 55;
(7)* The area of Winter Harbor from the southern boundary of the town of Tuftonboro tax map 63, lot number 14 to the southern boundary of tax map 51, lot number 20;
(8)* The entire area known as Green’s Basin in the town of Moultonborough;
(9)* Orchard Cove, on the east side of Cow Island, in the town of Tuftonboro;
(10)* The entire area known as Buzzell Cove in the town of Moultonborough;
(11)* Brickyard Cove, south of an imaginary line running about 2,300 feet from the northern tip of Clay Point to the southern tip of Barndoor Island;
(12)* The entire area known as Black Cove, in the town of Meredith, encompassing an area in Meredith tax map S-7, east from the northern most point of Lot 5-1 to the southeastern most point of Lot 1;
(13)* The entire area known as East Cove in the town of Moultonborough;
(14)* The entire area known as Advent Cove in the town of Meredith;
(15)* Roberts Cove, in the town of Alton, east of an imaginary line running north to south from the westerly boundary of lot 41 on tax map 48 to the westerly boundary of lot 1 on tax map 48; and
(16)* The entire areas known as Round Cove, Fish Cove, and Flag Cove in the town of Meredith.**
Keep in mind that this list can be updated from time to time as new areas are approved or removed as a NRZ, so check via the link above.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #15
depasseg

Isn't that the section related related to rafting restricted areas? Not necessarily anchoring.
depasseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #16
persistence

Yes, I find it confusing. Does an owner have any sort of 'buffer' other than we've discussed? I was told where I was, was private property. Marine Patrol said I could anchor wherever I wanted. Local PD said otherwise.

I pulled up to the beach to offload my 2 yo old son and a 15 yo to the rest of the family who was already there. I had done this a few weeks ago with lifeguards on duty, and I was not bothered by them or anyone else.

I moved the boat out some and put the anchor down because I didn't like how it was bouncing on the sand / rocks. I then watched as someone attempted to move my anchor. This is when I asked what the problem was and was told it was private property.

I moved the boat out further to the outer edge of the swim buoys, meaning facing the lake. Upon departing with the 15 yo (I was only there for about an hour) one of their boats was loaded with kids and adults about 10' in front of me to go tubing. This is when they trimmed their 200 hp outboard up about half way turned the prop to me and gunned the motor shooting spray at me. I believe they said 'we own the water, and the land and the sky and we will show you some water now'. I believe this act far outweighs any of the anchoring questions.

Needless to say.... that did not sit well with me or the onlookers on the beach.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #17
HellRaZoR004

Wow, you should have called Marine Patrol and reported it...then again, MP's don't seem to be bothered lately to do their job and would have told you to call someone else. True story.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #18
persistence

Anyway, I just wanted to get some clarification.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #19
mneck1814

Quote:
Yes, I find it confusing. Does an owner have any sort of 'buffer' other than we've discussed? I was told where I was, was private property. Marine Patrol said I could anchor wherever I wanted. Local PD said otherwise.

I pulled up to the beach to offload my 2 yo old son and a 15 yo to the rest of the family who was already there. I had done this a few weeks ago with lifeguards on duty, and I was not bothered by them or anyone else.

I moved the boat out some and put the anchor down because I didn't like how it was bouncing on the sand / rocks. I then watched as someone attempted to move my anchor. This is when I asked what the problem was and was told it was private property.

I moved the boat out further to the outer edge of the swim buoys, meaning facing the lake. Upon departing with the 15 yo (I was only there for about an hour) one of their boats was loaded with kids and adults about 10' in front of me to go tubing. This is when they trimmed their 200 hp outboard up about half way and gunned the motor shooting spray at me. I believe they said 'we own the water, and the land and the sky and we will show you some water now'.

Needless to say.... that did not sit well with me or the onlookers on the beach.
We saw the Robalo shoot the water at someone on Sunday and then we saw the MP visiting with the owners on Monday morning, but I did not realize the incidents were related. Where is the property line between the town beach and the adjacent property? We always assumed it was where the homeowners have put the large rock on the shoreline.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #20
Rich

Maybe they a trying to be a bully to keep you from coming back. A lot of people have been known to do that, as nice people will move along and not come back, as they don't want to deal with it.

So if you care to do something about it, call the marine patrol and wait for help. Perhaps get videos and pictures with your phone to help your 'case'.

If they have a history of being a bully, all the calls will add up.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by depasseg View Post
Isn't that the section related related to rafting restricted areas? Not necessarily anchoring.
Other than not to block navigation, I don't know any other 'no anchoring' rules other than at Weirs beach during bike week.

If he calls the local PD and they show up, call the MP and ask them to show up also.

Last edited by Rich; 09-08-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added bike week no anchoring at Weirs
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 PM   #22
ITD

I'm pretty sure you need to be a Moultonboro resident to use the beach which is maybe where the local PD would become involved. I believe the land next to the beach is owned by the association next to it on long island. I used to rent right next to it and they were pretty protective of their beach, but it sounds like they were out of line here. Why not just go under the bridge and anchor on the other side, no one should bother you there and you can walk across the street if you want to use the beach. Might be easier than dealing with aholes.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #23
persistence

Default Anchoring

Yea, usually we do with the bigger boat. And in the future I will use the other side. We do have beach stickers. But I was bringing my 2 yo to the beach In a 13 whaler. A very beachable boat. And why anchor out of sight and then cross a busy road if I don't need to. The family was already at the beach. I only planned to be an hour. If anything I thought maybe I was too close to the swim buoys. We have never had a problem before. If it were a friendly 'you're blocking my view' conversation, I would have been more than happy to move.

I take care and time to ensure im not in someone's way. Most of my boating is on tidal salt water so I have to be very cautious where I drop a hook.

Last edited by persistence; 09-07-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #24
ITD

Quote:
Yea, usually we do with the bigger boat. And in the future I will use the other side. We do have beach stickers. But I was bringing my 2 yo to the beach In a 13 whaler. A very beachable boat. And why anchor out of sight and then cross a busy road if I don't need to. The family was already at the beach. I only planned to be an hour. If anything I thought maybe I was too close to the swim buoys. We have never had a problem before. If it were a friendly 'you're blocking my view' conversation, I would have been more than happy to move.

I take care and time to ensure im not in someone's way. Most of my boating is on tidal salt water so I have to be very cautious where I drop a hook.

Sounds like you just ran up against some entitled morons. Probably won't happen again, if you do it again and start getting aggravation have your cell ready to record. If they pull the crap with the boat again get a bow number and a video and call the MP, they usually deal quite effectively with that type of stuff.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 AM   #25
Rich

If your boat and anchor were outside of the swim line, then you should be in the right.

Reading it again I wasn't sure if you had your anchor inside of the swim line or not.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:03 AM   #26
persistence

Outside. Lol. As a lifelong swimmer and boater, I'd never anchor inside a swim line. I also walked the boat in with motor up. I did not run it in.