Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Rattlesnake Guy

Default Irene Damage

We held our breath as we came around the corner of the Island last night and found the biggest damage to our place was defiantly the finger docks on the broads. All three took a heavy hit from the east. Two have panels that were lightly screwed down which are now pulled off and Lucky to be still present between the post. One of them has been pushed/twisted about 2-3 feet to the left.

Looks like everything is fixable and the big question now is if I will get away with waiting until closing day or not.

We kept telling ourselves it could have been a lot worse if one of the big Hemlock trees had fallen like some of the smaller trees did.

How did you find your boats, docks, trees and other stuff?

We are reviewing what we would do differently next time. We defiantly think the dock with the pwc lift on it faired better due to the extra weight holding it down. We regret that we did not set up the trash cans with water for extra weight.

What would you do differently next time?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Is was fortunate ( or in some peoples opinion unfortunate) to be at the lake for the duration of the storm. It was definitely a wild day although it could have been far worse. I suppose I am one of the lucky ones I feel as though I was adequately prepared and in some cases because I expected the worst was probably over prepared. However there are some lesson still to be learned.

1) I left the boat in the water, and would indeed do the same thing again, I think I learned that with the easterly wind, I want an anchor directly in back of the boat. I felt that there was to much stress in the four way tie that I created as the waves pushed on the boat. Putting a anchor directly behind I should be able to reduce the pull on the dock better.

2)Also for the boat with an easterly wind, I think I might be better off not having my whips on the boat... I believe they added to the stress that was put on the dock. and didn't all the boat to move as freely as it should have. My line creating the 4 way tie, would have kept the boat off the dock.

3) I had decided that the Jet ski was better off on land and had pulled it. The mistake was leaving it uncovered... while no damage occured... it was covered with dirt and pine needles.... I believe if I had covered the machine and tied the cover down all would have been fine.

4) More weight on the last section of the dock... While I had put weight on the dock to make sure floor board section didn't lift in the wave, I neglected to think about weighing the down to help deal with the stress of the boat. The entire section lifted 2 or 3 times that I notice, and while not a major concern, had the storm been more intense it would have been.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Newbiesaukee

Think there is a 2 part answer depending on whether you plan to stay in the house or not.

We live on the water on Long Island facing east and we stayed. My greatest realistic concern was having a tree fall on the house or have a window broken by flying debris. Both of these are almost inescapable problems. I did pick a safe room with small windows which I covered with plywood and this was the right decision as there were a lot of small branches flying around as well as smaller trees.

I also had multiple six gallon containers for drinking water as I assumed if we lost electricity this would be a problem.

Probably over prepared but I would have done it again.

As far as property if we had not stayed, my biggest concern was my boat. I have a dock with about 2 ft water and no trailer. I believe the boat would have been damaged had I left it so I took it to Irwins who stored it out of the water for me for a few days.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Water Camper

Default Irene Damage

At home, Pembroke NH, we had a large tree snap in half. Not sure how it didn't take down the power lines from the street to the house, but it didn't. We lost power for about 8 hours. We have been doing yard cleanup all week.

At the lake, Laconia, we also had a neighbors tree snap in half. The problem is it is now hung up on our power lines, which run up to the cottage beside our driveway. Sue called it in to PSNH, but because we still had power we are low on their list. It is a little unnerving as you have to drive under the tree to get up the driveway.

We will be heading up to Laconia this evening. Hopefully we will find that PSNH has taken care of the tree, especially because we have company coming this weekend.

I would do nothing different as we took in all of our outside furniture at both places and put anything that could be blown around away. Our boat is at Lakeport Landing in their boathouse, so well protected.

I feel fortunate !!
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

A pine came down on a house in Winter Harbor and sliced right through the roof. If anyone had been in the upstairs they would have been killed.

We lost one tree and that was it other than branches mostly from the pines.

We didn't lose our power during the storm but lost it for about three hours the next morning.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #6
fatlazyless

Default .....yoooooo-heavvvvvvve-hoooooo!

Go to the WV ski area access road, highway bridge, over on Ski Area Rd, and look down the Mad River and you can see the 120' x 10' utility bridge that got washed away. For 35-years it sat in its location supporting hikers, xc-skiers and 5-ton+, heavy snow groomers until Irene teamed up with the Mad River-East Branch and swept it way down beyond the confluence of the East and West branches, and there it sets just like a wrecked ship. It probably weighs maybe 20-tons or something, being all steel and wood and 120' in length, and the big water sent it maybe 400-yards down stream, surfer board style!

So, how do you pick up a 120'-20-ton bridge and move it back over a very rocky river, and return it to its spot......a good question? It looks from a distance to have survived in good enough condition to be used again, after it gets relocated back.

Maybe buy 10-cases of Busch (Head for the mountains!) Beer and invite 200 strong people over and have a bridge moving party? Yoooooo-heavvvvvve-hoooooo........chugalug-chugalug......move that thar bridge........yeeeeehhhharrrr!!!

Down in Meredith, I had a tired looking, three year old, 10'x10' Wal-Mart canopy cover get torn all to shreds which was actually a blessing, since it gave me a good excuse to go buy a new Wal-Mart replacement cover for $34.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Lost two white pines.

We lost 2 trees. the big one (90') took down a smaller (60') on it's way down.

Cost $500 bucks to have it cut up and hauled away.

Wanna guess what my home owners deductible is?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Webbsatwinni

Up on the north end, we stashed most items including the waverunner before the storm. We had no dock damage and only lost a birch that needed to fall anyway.

Our neighbor has a seasonal dock and large sections were missing, we didn't see them anywhere so we boated with caution.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
fatlazyless

Yesterday, that 12' wide by 110' utility bridge was moved back about 300- yards up the Mad River to where it had sat for the last 35-years. What it took to move it was four excavators, and one skidder, and a fifth excavator leading the way......it was quite the move....what with all those big yellow machine all hooked up to the rusty old bridge.....but it's back.

So, who pays for the move? One side of the bridge set on Town of Waterville Valley property, and the other side sat on the White Mountain National Forest, so where's the money coming from, and it's on conservation land with the cross country ski-hiking trail having an easement, and it got used by the Piston Bully snow groomer? Fixing that cross country ski trail and hiking trail, Mad River bridge crossing, should get top priority from the U.S. legislature, asap.......pdq........where's the money?

I still say that having a Busch "Head for the Mountains" Beer, bridge moving party with 200 strong, beered-up people holding up the bridge would have been a much more environmentally friendly way to move an old bridge. Good old Busch Beer.....finally that old Busch would be good for something!

Plus, there's another 100' or so, all wood construction bridge that was 1/2 mile further north on the Mad River Trail in the WMNF that totally got sent down the river somewhere. Where-O-where is that other bridge at? Looks to me like this could be a job for a bridge-beer moving party!
Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Unlike Waterville Valley, where the road, river, and bridges get fixed so fast that it makes your head spin, downstream in Plymouth, there's at least one serious individual flood damage story.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/story...ll-flooded-out

As always, the wealthy gets off pretty easy, and the working folks get a big bucketful of trouble....which is the way it is..... as always!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 09-17-2011 at 08:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote