Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Hurricane Precautions

A few questions about Irene and boats. While the final direction and severity of Irene have yet to be determined it is starting to look like it could be bad. If you are unable to pull a boat would it be generally more safe on a mooring than a dock? What is the general rule of thumb for the amount of line a boat should be given on a mooring? What are folks doing to protect their boats?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

I have a lift for my Seadoo and I am raising it as high as it will go before the storm.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #3
ThePlut

Default Same thing

Mine's sitting in her slip at Meredith Yacht club with good 1/2" lines on her and a full coverage mooring cover that sheds water pretty well. Really not sure if she's better off there, or sitting in a rack in my dealerships barn (if I could even get it pulled, I don't have a trailer). Thinking about going up and adding some lines just for backup...

Interested to hear more thoughts...
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
DC Pointer

I have a lift for my sea doo as well, but I am pulling it out. I have another small boat and a larger boat that I am going to tie off at 4 points (possibly 6). My cove doesn't get choppy with past storms, but with the direction of this storm it may. It's a good point to think about; is your boat(s) better in a non tidal body of water or in someones rack that can blow down or a yard where multiple trees could fall on it. Those are my decision points. My seadoo can live temporarily inside my garage. I am going to gather all outdoor furniture and toys and stuff them away though. Any other thoughts?
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
regalguy

Default camper canvas

I have a 25 ft cruiser with camper canvas. Wondering if It would be a smart decision to take the canvas down. Going to leave the boat in the water and do a 4 way tie. Thinking I will unplug shore power as well. Guessing we will lose power and food that is in the frig will be spoiled b4 I can get back up tp the lake.
regalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalguy View Post
I have a 25 ft cruiser with camper canvas. Wondering if It would be a smart decision to take the canvas down. Going to leave the boat in the water and do a 4 way tie. Thinking I will unplug shore power as well. Guessing we will lose power and food that is in the frig will be spoiled b4 I can get back up tp the lake.
Canvas is a major concern... However If you leave it off You are guaranteed of having water issue. Now I am sure you have a bilge pump but if the boat is left exposed, and the storm and rainfall last a considerable amount of time you may drain your battery. And then you have issue with the boat filling with water.

On the flip side if you leave it on, you risk damage to the canvas itself. Which can be repaired... I would look at your insurance policy and determine if this type of damage to the canvas would be covered.

either way you have a downside... it not an easy choice.

As for me I have a mooring cover which will be going on the boat. and Probably right over the cockpit cover for double protection...However I will be leaving the boat in the water, and just adding a couple of extra lines. I could pull it and put it on the trailer, but will it be any safer???? outside with trees??? don't think so....

My jetski is more then likely coming out of the water, and getting tuck up close to the camp on its trailer.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
NoBozo

Remove all canvas from the boat, including sail covers and sails. If you have a good mooring, put the boat out on it. Heavier lines are pretty much useless and I would discourage there use. The reason for this is heavier lines stretch less..and you want stretch capability to ease shock loads on the boat AND it's cleats. Nylon lines are best.

The MOST Important thing you can do is make sure you have "chaffing gear" around the lines where the lines pass over the side of the boat or through chocks. Chaffing gear can be anything from scraps of canvas or rags wrapped tightly around the dock lines or mooring pendant and lashed onto the dockline..etc. You don't want the chaffing gear to move relative to the line, or the line will chafe Inside the chaffing gear.

I am not a big fan of the store bought "Rubber" hose type things, although they are better than nothing.

Bottom Line: NO Canvas left on the boat. Plenty of Chaffing Gear. Out on a Solid mooring if you have one. Extra docklines if at a dock AND plenty of BIG Fenders. NB

PS: "Fenders" are those rubber thingys that some people leave dangling over the side at all times because they look totally nautical. Some people call them "Bumpers"

EDIT: Many boats today have "Self Bailing" cockpits which is a BIG Plus. Self bailing does NOT refer to Pumps, but rather the capability to drain water overboard that enters the cockpit. If you dump a bucket of water into the cockpit, it will either run into the bilge (Not Self Bailing).. OR.. it will run out the back through holes or openings near the transom. (Self Bailing).
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
Kamper

Double your dock lines and add chafing gear. Use all your cleats. Extra fenders dockside and off-side. Seal hatches with tape or clear silicone. Close through-hulls except the pump out-puts. Clean and test all pumps and auto-switches. Charge batteries. Remove or stow loose gear.

For more tips, check this post on another forum:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...cked-boat.html

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
AC2717

Does anyone know where I can get the tape that they use on the shrink wrap when they wrap the boats, I was advised by someons I know that taping down the canvas on its edges with this tape to the hull will keep the wind from getting into it, but obviously have the ripple effect in the canvas anyways, just a further protect the boat

at this point I am sitting on the mooring at this point, 1/2 inch chain, going to put a 3rd mooring line and attach it lower to the chain below the ball (we have a through ball chain, and dropping and locking in the anchor with a little slack
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Woodsy

AC..

Call John Spooner at Diamond Shine - 603-293-0378 I am sure he will sell you some shrink tape.

I am pretty sure he is also hauling out boats as well...

Tell him Woodsy sent ya!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
AC2717

thanks woodsy
you know if that has to be heated up, or is there an adhesive on the tape?
Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
DC Pointer

If Irene tracks right down the middle of their forecasted path, are their any weather buffs who could guess what the sustained wind speed could be as well as gusts? If we are on the east side of the storm? I'd guess it'd become a tropical storm almost as soon as it hits landfall in NY/Conn/RI/Mass Southcoast. What would it be like once it gets up here?
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Woodsy

AC...

No heat... its pretty sticky stuff. I use it like duct tape! LOL!

Woodsy
AC2717 (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
SIKSUKR

Latest I just saw was about 70mph sustained. As with Bob or any storm, this can vary depending on your exposure. Land features can either shield or increase winds depending on direction.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Pointer View Post
If Irene tracks right down the middle of their forecasted path, are their any weather buffs who could guess what the sustained wind speed could be as well as gusts? If we are on the east side of the storm? I'd guess it'd become a tropical storm almost as soon as it hits landfall in NY/Conn/RI/Mass Southcoast. What would it be like once it gets up here?

It is looking more and more that Irene will go west of us bringing southerly winds. 50 MPH to 70 MPH would be my guess right now for peak gusts. This is based upon the current forecast track which I am sure will change some before she hits. It is still too early to tell exactly what will happen.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #16
Seeker

As one who has survived many hurricanes, mostly on the shore north of Boston, and have never received as much as a scratch I can offer a couple suggestions.

If you are in a marina check the boats around you. While yours may be well secured the clothesline your neighbor bought may be on its last legs. I have seen many well-secured boats damaged by others drifting down on them or breaking loose in their own slip.

Double up all lines and fenders and use chafing gear as mentioned above.

Remove as much canvas as possible except that fitting close to the hull or cockpit. Hurricanes love bimini tops and side curtains.

Although it seems like common sense DO NOT STAY ABOARD YOUR VESSEL. It is not worth your life or that of someone else trying to rescue you.

Get your generator ready at home, open a cold one and watch the talking heads panic the rest of the world.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post

EDIT: Many boats today have "Self Bailing" cockpits which is a BIG Plus. Self bailing does NOT refer to Pumps, but rather the capability to drain water overboard that enters the cockpit. If you dump a bucket of water into the cockpit, it will either run into the bilge (Not Self Bailing).. OR.. it will run out the back through holes or openings near the transom. (Self Bailing).
I find this to be a false comment as it pertains to most boats on the lake... Most boats on the lake are not "Self Bailing".....
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
Greene's Basin Girl

All I can say is if you are not up here and you have a boat it might be a good idea to have a neighbor help secure your boat. I have been bailing out my forum friends putt-putts after rain storms this summer (and we didn't have a hurricane). Redwings boat was just above water after one large storm.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default PWC Lifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I have a lift for my Seadoo and I am raising it as high as it will go before the storm.
If you're not there to keep an eye on it, you might also want to tie it up too. We almost lost ours a few years ago due to rising lake level and surf.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #20
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I find this to be a false comment as it pertains to most boats on the lake... Most boats on the lake are not "Self Bailing".....
He didn't say "most boats on the lake are self bailing," he said "many boats today have "Self Bailing" cockpits." It's a difference with a distinction.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM   #21
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Lake Level

The prediction of heavy rain has prompted the powers that be to increase the flow at the Lakeport Dam. I have seen predictions of 7-10 inches. The Weirs Channel is running at a rate similar to the spring.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #22
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
If you're not there to keep an eye on it, you might also want to tie it up too. We almost lost ours a few years ago due to rising lake level and surf.
Oh---I do. I tie it up every time I park it after I lift it. When I first bought it I didn't do that. It ended up on the other side of Green's Basin. Luckily for me the nice people that found it called me. I didn't even know it was missing because I hadn't checked it in a few days. I have become more educated since that that incident. Another words----I have SMARTENED UP!
Old 08-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #23
Breakwater

The depth of water under your boat at the dock is something to carefully consider. 2-3 feet of water depth at a dock is ok until you begin to experience true 6-8 foot waves. The trough of a wave that height will likely leave you with less than a foot under the boat with each passing wave. Keel and hull damage is almost certain.

Mooring is best if...you have enough "rode" or line (Chapman's calls for 7-10X the water depth for stormy conditions which is difficult at the shoreline) to allow for the rise and fall of significant wave height. Also nylon line that stretches and/or a rubber shock absorber built into the line.

If left at a dock, a 4 way tie is best or a combination of lines, fenders, and an anchor off to the side opposite the dock that holds the boat away from the dock.

Most important is to park the boat bow out to the waves. A boat tied "stern to" is a "sinking" waiting to happen.

And remember to trim up the drive!!

Last edited by Breakwater; 08-25-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: addition
Breakwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breakwater For This Useful Post:
winnipiseogee (08-25-2011), Winnisquamguy (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakwater View Post
The depth of water under your boat at the dock is something to carefully consider. 2-3 feet of water depth at a dock is ok until you begin to experience true 6-8 foot waves. The trough of a wave that height will likely leave you with less than a foot under the boat with each passing wave. Keel and hull damage is almost certain.

Mooring is best if...you have enough "rode" or line (Chapman's calls for 7-10X the water depth for stormy conditions which is difficult at the shoreline) to allow for the rise and fall of significant wave height. Also nylon line that stretches and/or a rubber shock absorber built into the line.

If left at a dock, a 4 way tie is best or a combination of lines, fenders, and an anchor off to the side opposite the dock that holds the boat away from the dock.

Most important is to park the boat bow out to the waves. A boat tied "stern to" is a "sinking" waiting to happen.

THIS is Good Advice. NB
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #25
gravy boat

Default Irene

My guess is maybe 30-45 sustained, to 55 gusts here. Typical nor'easter in these parts.

Once it hits land it will lose steam as it trudges in. I have a hard time believing that it will come into NY/Ct as a Category 2 and retain even enough to be a Category 1 by the time we see it.
But...better to be prepared and complain later than being unprepared.

The media need something to build up--- earthquake barely felt in NH, hurricaine that will likely be a tropical storm when it reaches NH.

Hey...what is that humming sound.....locusts????. :-)
H
GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #26
brk-lnt

Quote:

Much of that is based on oceanic hurricanes. 6-8 foot waves in most places on the lake seem nearly impossible, especially since the hurricane will be diminished by the time it hits.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #27
CGI3

Everyone worried about their boats?? Check out the accuweather update. Were doomed. This is going to be the 100 year storm. Nothing we have ever seen in our lives! For those of us that have basements we can expect 3-4 feet of water, roofs blown off, pretty much any tree over 15' will be toppled. Electicity? plan on 2-3 weeks without it. Please! At the very most it will be a tropical storm, wind gusts up to 30 mph, a bit of rain, and the sun will be out by late Sun. afternoon.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #28
trfour

Post I would Suggest To Prepare For The Worst

I have seen waves on Lake Winnipesaukee in the 6 to 8 foot range. However, I never actually got out of the boat with a ruler to measure them. ... And, at these times there want no hurricanes in the area!

Irene's winds are projected to be in the 60 MPH range while passing through with her center being concentrated in the western boarder area between New Hampshire and Vermont. This is not good for the Lakes Region, as it will be in the strongest sustained wind area of the storm.

Again, be prepared and keep an eye on this one!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/...news/#44279864

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #29
samosetguy

Default Irene

The Samoset condo association is asking all owners to remove their boats from the docks and mooring field before the storm. I was surprised by the request and am wondering if it's an over reaction. I've been reading the updates and still can't determine if it's necessary or not. Thanks to the news media, I've become skeptical of all weather reports so now I don't take any storm seriously (which is bad).

I've made plans to remove my boat tomorrow to be safe.

We're a little unique in that 25 mph or greater sustained winds in an Easterly or South/South Western path can create some big waves by the time they hit our shore. It looks like weather.com is predicting approximately 60-70 mph sustained winds (right?) but in a northern path (if the eye is west of us). The wind speed is dangerous but if it's northern we'd be fine until the storm starts to pull out.

I'm a little afraid I will pull up to the Gilford Town Docks on Saturday to take out my boat and the line of people doing the same will be insane. But, it looks like most people will not bother to take out their boat. Right? I have a friend in a dock at Meredith Marina who says they're not worried at all. Should they be?

Where is Dick Albert when you need him?
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #30
KBoater

Default The things that I’ve done during Hurricanes

The things that I’ve done during Hurricanes
The things that I’ve done during Hurricanes with my boats.

1) At a very young age, I run a Chris Craft onto a beach about a week before a hurricane.
The shaft was bent and have to go in reverse all the way home ( about 2 mi). The hurricane came and the saw horse dock lifted and floated way.
The boat sunk and bashed on the rocks.
The good thing was my mother never found out about the boat grounding.

2) My boat was the last to be hauled at the club and the sling lift motor stopped so the boat swayed in the sling throughout the hurricane

3) A friend wanted to use my mooring at my island house. He had a heavy 30’ Sea Ray. The mooring got dragged to shallow water.

4) Now I am having my boat hauled since I cannot do a 4 way tie down. I'll sit in my home and hope the surrounding tree don't hit the house.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosetguy View Post
I'm a little afraid I will pull up to the Gilford Town Docks on Saturday to take out my boat and the line of people doing the same will be insane. But, it looks like most people will not bother to take out their boat. Right? I have a friend in a dock at Meredith Marina who says they're not worried at all. Should they be?

Where is Dick Albert when you need him?
Glendale was steady today. Lots of jet skis coming out and a fair amount of islanders towing boats in to shore to remove. I pulled 3.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
samosetguy (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
sunsationdave

Default storm

They just reported it will be a tropical storm for newengland
Thats good news on vacation starting at 5 pm today as long as the lake level comes back up to get my boat off the lift for monday
sunsationdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #33
trfour

Smile Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsationdave View Post
They just reported it will be a tropical storm for newengland
Thats good news on vacation starting at 5 pm today as long as the lake level comes back up to get my boat off the lift for monday
Aren't you the optimist!!. Irene, tropical or otherwise is huge, and will not be like a passing shower! With wind speeds of say 60 MPH, bouncing around and through the mountain-es surroundings of the Lake, she could spawn a few tornadoes, to boot!!
Now, I'm not trying to rain on your vacation, just be aware and safe!!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 08-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #34
RailroadJoe

To you young folks, I remember the hurricane of 1938. No name then and it surprised a lot of people and ended up causing a lot of damage and lives lost. That one tore through, up the Connecticut River valley and yet dropped so many trees that it took longer to clean them than it did for the tornado that swpet through here 2 years ago.

Be prepared pick your apples and peaches tomorrow. They will be lots of drops after Monday.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
jetskier

Post Today

Went out on the jetski today...it was the best day of the summer. The weather was amazing and the boat traffic was nonexistant.
  • The current in the channel is amazing...they clearly have the dam wide open to drop the lake level ahead of the storrm
  • Everyone seems to be putting up the covers and side panels on their boats. It seems as though the rain is going to be the biggest issue. There don't seem to be too many boats being pulled. I left the jetski on the mooring...we will see.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #36
NoBozo

Default RI Narragansett Bay Report

I took a ride down the hill to the Hinkley Yacht Yard today. This is a Mega Yacht boat yard and marina on the west side of Aquidneck Island . The scene was Controlled Mayhem. Every boat is being hauled. The typical boat length is 70 feet....mostly sail. Every boat must come out..or GO somewhere else. They will be working around the clock.

I talked with someone whom I took to be management. They are concerned that the Entire Marina, which is pretty well protected all around from seas by granite walls built by the Navy a century ago..... (Floating Docks inside) might just float away en mass when the "Surge" ..12'..?? comes through. The normal tide rise here is 5 feet. The pilings holding the floating docks in place are just SO Tall. The concern is that the surge will LIFT everything Over the tops of the pilings and everything sails off up the bay.

So everything is being hauled onto land. NOW.. once on shore..they have to run lines and guy wires to the tops of the masts of the big boats (130+ feet tall) and anchor them at the bottom with very large concrete blocks (called dead men) so the boats won't blow over.

Boating is a hassle when a storm comes...no matter how big (or small) you are...

Good Luck My Friends up at tha lake. NB
Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #37
trfour

Post Yup... 1938 Was A Big One

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
To you young folks, I remember the hurricane of 1938. No name then and it surprised a lot of people and ended up causing a lot of damage and lives lost. That one tore through, up the Connecticut River valley and yet dropped so many trees that it took longer to clean them than it did for the tornado that swpet through here 2 years ago.

Be prepared pick your apples and peaches tomorrow. They will be lots of drops after Monday.

I wasn't around yet, however my Dad was, and got caught while driving truck with trees and power lines coming through the windshield of his ride, at the time down near Plymouth Ma. Needless to say, he was late for dinner that evening, however and most appreciatively welcomed home when he got there!! He was among the very lucky to have survived that one, and this allowed our family to move on!!
I thank you for the reminder, RailroadJoe!
Terry

Old 08-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #38
fatlazyless

Default ...kiss me Irene!

Come on Irene, www.noaa.gov, and gimme a great big wet kiss!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-28-2011 at 09:05 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #39
lak

Boat US has been pretty active about talking about the safest and least safe ways to store boats in hurricanes.

They claim the least safest way to store a boat is on a boat lift. I've seen this multiple times in their magazines, and I'm sure they have the details somewhere on their website, just don't know exactly where at the moment.
lak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #40
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'm so scared.........put an extra bumper on the boat.....couple of bungee's on the lawn furniture....going to work tomorrow as usual.
If you listen to the media,no one will be left alive after sunday.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #41
NoBozo

Default The Boy Who Cried Wolf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I'm so scared.........put an extra bumper on the boat.....couple of bungee's on the lawn furniture....going to work tomorrow as usual.
If you listen to the media,no one will be left alive after sunday.
I hear ya my friend. I've been watching ALL the channels on cable and local. The template is Total Destruction. The "Eye Wall" collapsed over 10 hours ago and no mention. SAME tape of some %$%# "weather reporter" standing on the beach up to his ankles in water......Wind 26........Hour after hour.

The Media: We can't let this STORY Go Away.

I was cussing and swearing an hour ago and my wife told me to go take a shower..SO I Did. I feel better now......Yeh NB
Old 08-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #42
MDoug

Default Hurricane Precautions

Quote:

Didn't have enough water under my boat to turn it "bow to", so I tied on extra rope, raised the motor up and out and made sure both bilge pumps were clear of leaves, etc. Also retrieved hand pumps from the shed and put them on the front porch.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote