Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
XCR-700

Question Wellcraft Excalibur 26

Anyone on the forum have a Wellcraft Excalibur 26' or know of where one is?

I'm considering one from afar and would like to see one in person before making the leap and having it shipped cross-country.

So far everything I see looks good, but my fear is it might be bigger than I think it is.

Unless my plans change, I am a trailer boat guy and am a bit concerned that towing the 75 miles each way to Winnipesaukee on day trips could become problematic if I overbuy.

So if anyone can point me toward one for just a quick look in person I would feel much better about my decision.

Thanks

p.s. my tow vehicle in a 2006 Avalanche 5.3 4 x 4 with 3.42 axle (YUCK! )
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

I'm considering one from afar and would like to see one in person before making the leap and having it shipped cross-country.

So far everything I see looks good, but my fear is it might be bigger than I think it is.

Unless my plans change, I am a trailer boat guy and am a bit concerned that towing the 75 miles each way to Winnipesaukee on day trips could become problematic if I overbuy.

So if anyone can point me toward one for just a quick look in person I would feel much better about my decision.

Thanks

It is a good sized boat. Dry weight is apprx 5K pounds, so wet it will be 6K (plus another 2K pounds for the trailer). You will definitely be pushing the tow vehicle to the limit.

Length overall 26’4″
Beam 8’6″
Fuel capacity 97 gallons
Maximum horsepower 500 hp
Draft up 23″
Draft down 38″
Dry weight (approx.) 4,800 pounds

It looks like a nice boat. Best of luck with your decision!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 AM   #3
hazelnut

Quote:

Thanks

Just my opinion here but that seems like a whole lotta boat to be regularly trailering. I used to own the 230 Excalibur and I loved it. I would consider trailering that boat but any bigger and I would not have considered it. As it is I currently own a Monterey 248 Bowrider the boat is very heavy and has an actual LOA of 26 feet 7 inches. I would never ever consider trailering this boat regularly with my F250 as I think I would be overtaxing the truck in the long run. So I am going to be selling my boat at some point as the cottage is for sale. I will be looking for a trailerable boat in the 21-23 foot range.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

With the weight information that VitaBene found, and the information on your tow vehicle, you would definitely be pushing the limits of the vehicle. I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 4X4 with the 5.3 and 3.73 gears. And the first week point in the system I can tell you is the class III hitch which is only rated to 5000# dead tow weight. So first things first you probably would need to up grade to a class 4 or 5 hitch. Of Course if the Ava lance already has a higher class hitch then you are all set there. So then we are back to the weight issue.... Fully loaded my boat trailer and gear comes in around 4000# I have hauled around the lakes region some, and we go up and down the hills acceptably. But that is with 3.73 gears, and using the tow haul mode on the transmission. If I forget to engage that, we start getting a bit lethargic going up the hill but not horrible. Now the question is would I try to haul more... Personally As long as it was local periodic towing yes, I don't think I would have any issues going up to 5000#. However trying to pull 100 miles, for a day trip to the lake, I would probably not want to put the stress on the truck every other weekend. In short I believe the 7,000 - 8,000 # of weight your looking at might be hard on you current vehicle. Especially given the load and knowing that no matter which way you come to the lake, there are grades that you have to deal with.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
4Fun

Quote:

Thanks

I tow a Four Winns Horizon 240 with a 2000 Expediton 5.4 with 3.73 gears. Dry weight is 4200#. I definitly feel the truck working on the way to the lake. Another 600# + and you will certainly not be racing anyone with yours.

We dry store the boat up at the lake and just hook up and launch all summer so we only tow back and forth a couple times. With the cost of gas and wear and tear it's not worth towing back and forth and getting 8-9MPG. Off lake storage can be had for $500-$600 or so.

I would have no issue towing more if it was local or periodic but frequently it might cost you a transmission....
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
codeman671

If you like the boat and will only be running it here why not find a place locally to park the boat and trailer when you are not using it? Most of the local storage places will rent yard space. Glendale Marine probably would take your money just to leave it out back as well. I used to store my jet ski trailers there before when we were parking on a private dock.

Get the boat surveyed!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Dave R

I tow 7400 lbs routinely with a 99 Durango and have done so safely for years. It's no big deal once you get used to it. The key issues when towing heavy are power delivery, stability, and braking, and those can all be improved easily and cheaply.

The first change to make is to replace the tow vehicle tires with lower profile tires for a smaller outside diameter. This gives a lower effective gear ratio, better traction, better cornering and makes the stock brakes more effective. It addresses all three major concerns.

The second change is to upgrade the tow vehicle rotors, pads, flexible brake lines and brake fluid to high performance parts. I've had good luck with R1 concepts pads and rotors. I can't get braided SS flex lines but I have changed my flex lines so that they are new. I repalce the brake fluid with fresh DOT 4 every year.

The third change is to repalce the trailer surge drum brakes with electric (unless you plan to use it in salt water all the time, then do electric over hydraulic). It's a really cheap and easy to do. A better option would be electric over hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer, but's that's big bucks.

Lastly, use a weight distributing hitch.

Obviously, the standard stuff like tire pressure, brake condition, bearing and seal condition, etc. need to be carefully monitored, regardless.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote