Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
mpjones58

Default First time to the Lake

Hi,
We are on our way from PA and staying in the Center Harbor area..rented a boat for the week w/navi from Anchor..somewhat experienced boater but not on this lake...any tips for a newbie? Looking for a place we can go for breakfast via boat..
Any other things we should absolutely do or places we should visit? Looking forward to it...
Any and all advice is welcome!
mpjones58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

There are several past threads about boaters new to the lake such as:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ghlight=boater
You can use the advanced search tool to dig around. Search the boating and restaurant forums for breakfast and boating for example.

The nav unit is good but get a chart and use it as you go along.

Have a safe week and enjoy the lake.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
ApS

Where you are able, just stay 150' from everything!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #4
RLW

Thumbs up

mpjones58, glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum. I know you will get lots of great advice from all the members of the forum. I do hope that you have some wonderful weather like we have had the past week and get a lot of lake time in the boat.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Dave R

Meredith or Wolfeboro would be good ports to travel to for breakfast. Wolfeboro would be less challenging to navigate and more interesting to wander around after you eat. Both have plenty of dock space. All the town dock areas around the lake have interesting things to do.

Braun Bay is a great place to anchor and enjoy sandbar activities, especially during the week.

For an interesting trip, go to Lee's Mill and Green's Basin by boat. The navigation is a little challenging, but it's a beautiful trip that can kill a few hours. Tie up at Lee's Mill docks (no town there, just a ramp) and use the porta-potti if desperate.

Go through Sally's Gut and the Hole in the wall.

Snorkel the wreck of the Belknap.

Naswa is great fun.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Go through Sally's Gut and the Hole in the wall.

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-11-2011), ApS (07-09-2011), GsChinadoll (07-12-2011), John A. Birdsall (07-13-2011), KPW (07-10-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Boater's Secrets

Stop at a marina and pick up a copy of Boater's Secrets. Best way to know the lake.

Make sure you know NH's unique laws, on weekends drive defensively.

Most important of all: Have Fun!
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Knot yet

George's diner is a short walk from the town docks in Meredith, here is a link for the address. The food is great.http://www.georgesdiner.com/
Knot yet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #9
Swanpoint guy

Default Have fun

For visitors from out of state you really need to get and read the NH boater's guide. Marine patrol is everywhere and you will get the flashing blue lights if you break the rules (150 ft from everything). NH has rules you will never have heard of or imagined. You need the chart even if you have GPS. Don't just follow the guy in front of you, he maybe as lost as you (that's how I lost my first prop on the lake years ago). The challenge of navigating the lake is half the fun.
Swanpoint guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:30 AM   #10
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanpoint guy View Post
For visitors from out of state you really need to get and read the NH boater's guide.
You can download it here:

http://www.boat-ed.com/nh/handbook/pdf_index.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (07-12-2011), upthesaukee (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

We recently went to a place in Meredith for breakfast called Sunshine and Pa's. It is an easy walk from the town docks. I don't think you will be disappointed. We were very impressed with the people and the food. And the check was under $20 for the two of us.

Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
mpjones58

Default Thanks all

So far so good. Clearly we are in for a great week and this is a great forum to get great info.

So to summarize,
Stay 150' away from everything
Go slow if you don't know
Plan your trip
Use the charts
Have fun, it's a great lake!

I think we stay away from Sallys Gut for right now

Thanks again
mpjones58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Maybe stay away from the "witches" and the "Graveyard" too
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
sa meredith

Default Center Harbor

Well, If you are staying in CH, even though you'll need the car, not boat, don't miss the Village Kitchen for lunch or breakfast. It's very close, and if you miss it, well, you missed it. Just go.
As far as the boating...advice is all over this forum. Heed it all. From me, I'll say this. Ask others if you are unsure of something. But most importantly...Winni is a bit unique in that there are just so many areas that appear to be wide open water...smooth sailing. And the next thing you know, you have no prop. When planning a trip, look at the chart, plot your course carefully, and note all hazzards along the way. Note the spars in open water, and know what they mean..solid red, vs. red/white spar etc. Take notice of them as you pass them, and then plan for the next one.
Two other things. By car, and close by, The Bob House is a decent stop.
Lastly, not to take issue with Rattle Guy, who is a well respected member of this forum. But indeed do go to Meredith. Many, many choices (Town Docks Beach Bar/ Guisseppis/ Lake House/ Lago...you can't miss) but if you are looking for the hands down, best breakfast on the lake...the best...walk past Sunshine and Pa's, 3 doors down the same street, and go to George's. You'll note the fact that you can walk right into Sunshine and Pa's, yet the line at George's is out the door, into the street. There is a reason for this. No slam on Sunshine's...just that George's is the best, and people wait to get in. See if there is room in the screen room, out back. Very nice...everything made right there...even the bread...white, wheat, raison. The place has it goin' on!
Oh yeah...if you are in an "adults only" situation, and fancy a Margarita, and want a new experience...take the boat to the Weirs, and go to Crazy Gringo's. Pay no attention to the all the bikes, and the bikers outside smoking. It is a fun place, the staff is very friendly, and you'll be very comfortable once in there and settled into a Marg, served in a mason jar. Complimentary chips/salsa. Order a couple apps. Great place.
Enjoy your vaca.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #15
Bizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjones58 View Post
... Looking for a place we can go for breakfast via boat.. ...
Here is a list of restaurants and grocery stores accessible by boat
Bizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
loony

Default lake navigation

You should also have a compass on your boat.

NH lakes have a very unique hazard marking system. Please get familiar with the marking system described in the handbook.

Remember to stay north and east of a black top marker and south and west of a red top marker. You'll likely hit a rock if you're on the wrong side.

Also a red and black next to each other does not necessarily mean you go between them unless they're solid. It depends on their on their relative location, so the rocks may be between them or around them.
For example, if a black top is north of a red top, you go around them both.

Since you're staying in the center harbor area, try to avoid the poorly marked area shown in the wavy lines. It looks wide open and
safe, but you could wind up in the middle of it without knowing it. The Bizer chart has note about the rocks.
Attached Images

Last edited by loony; 07-11-2011 at 08:22 AM.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Dave R

That's a helpful post below. One thing to add to is that the red-topped white spars have a band of reflective tape on them. This makes them much easier to distinguish at night.

Also, there are a few places on the lake where the spars are confusing. For example, you need to go between two black-topped white spars at floating light 30. There are not many places where you'd ever WANT to go between two black topped spars... Consult your chart if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loony View Post
You should also have a compass on your boat.

NH lakes have a very unique hazard marking system. Please get familiar with the marking system described in the handbook.

Remember to stay north and east of a black top marker and south and west of a red top marker. You'll likely hit a rock if you're on the wrong side.

Also a red and black next to each other does not necessarily mean you go between them unless they're solid. It depends on their on their relative location, so the rocks may be between them or around them.

[IMG]c:[/IMG]
Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
So far so good. Clearly we are in for a great week and this is a great forum to get great info.

So to summarize,
Stay 150' away from everything
Go slow if you don't know
Plan your trip
Use the charts
Have fun, it's a great lake!

I think we stay away from Sallys Gut for right now

Thanks again
Bear in mind, Sally's gut is narrow, but well-marked and perfectly navigable. There's plent of places on the lake that look wide open but are littered with rocks just below the surface. The spar bouys can be tough to spot on the open water, especially if you are headed into the sun.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
RANGER CANOE CO

Smile Hey.....

Where is the place called the " 6 pack " ? I can never seem to find it on the map. Thank's
Old 07-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #20
jrc

Due east of the widest part of Long Island there are six markers arranged like a six pack of beer. Three red on one side three black on the other.

It's not very exciting.

Somewhere around here:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r87...=1&form=LMLTCC
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Due east of the widest part of Long Island there are six markers arranged like a six pack of beer. Three red on one side three black on the other.

It's not very exciting.

Somewhere around here:

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r87...=1&form=LMLTCC

Gets a lot more exciting of you hang a right after going through the 6 pack (towards the bridge) and head up toward Lee's Mill.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
jrc

There's enough rocks in there to start a map company, I stay out. A new set of Volvo duo-props got to be $1200.

If I'm going up there, I go through the graveyard, but it's been years since I've been beyond Melvin Village.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #23
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
There's enough rocks in there to start a map company, I stay out. A new set of Volvo duo-props got to be $1200.

If I'm going up there, I go through the graveyard, but it's been years since I've been beyond Melvin Village.
It's well marked, but you really gotta pay attention and the boulders are often quite visible under the surface next to the markers, which is kinda creepy if you are going through on plane.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #24
RANGER CANOE CO

Smile

Thanks.......... Last summer I spent hrs looking for the "barber pole" I finally asked the MP and they told me they removed it..........LOL

Last edited by RANGER CANOE CO; 07-12-2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: sp
RANGER CANOE CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #25
Barney Bear

Default Barber's Pole

I think I saw the barber's pole mounted on the north side of a boat house as I cruised through the area after the New England Group Lyman boat show held at the Wolfeboro docks in early June.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER CANOE CO View Post
Where is the place called the " 6 pack " ? I can never seem to find it on the map. Thank's
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
RANGER CANOE CO (07-15-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #27
hampfarms

Breakfast on Sunday @ Church Landing. It is a buffet brunch in the LakeHouse Restaurant. Wonderful fresh squeezed O.J. and great Bloody Mary's and Mimosas.
hampfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #28
Barney Bear

Default Refreshments

After passing through the six pack, can one stop at the adjacent island for a cool Long Island Iced Tea?
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 PM   #29
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
hi,
we are on our way from pa and staying in the center harbor area..rented a boat for the week w/navi from anchor..somewhat experienced boater but not on this lake...any tips for a newbie? Looking for a place we can go for breakfast via boat..
Any other things we should absolutely do or places we should visit? Looking forward to it...
Any and all advice is welcome!
hi.

Buy a chart and find the witches, and say far away..
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #30
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith
Oh yeah...if you are in an "adults only" situation, and fancy a Margarita, and want a new experience...take the boat to the Weirs, and go to Crazy Gringo's. Pay no attention to the all the bikes, and the bikers outside smoking. It is a fun place, the staff is very friendly, and you'll be very comfortable once in there and settled into a Marg, served in a mason jar. Complimentary chips/salsa. Order a couple apps. Great place.
Enjoy your vaca
The above is incredibly stupid advice from SA Meredith. Hopefully, you will be smart enough not to take it. Good Luck.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #31
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTOOL View Post
hi.

Buy a chart and find the witches, and say far away..
Good advice. Most rocky areas that are near shore and are marked usually get your attention since you should be looking for them. I have found that until I became familiar with most of Winni that the areas I tended to almost screw up were located in the wide open parts of the lake where you would not be expecting them. The Witches are one of these. On a chart the markers look relatively close surrounding the area. In reality when your in that area the markers look very far apart and if your not paying attention it is easy to end up passing inside a marker and end up in that zone. Lots of constant scanning where ever you are is always in order even after consulting your chart.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #32
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
The above is incredibly stupid advice from SA Meredith. Hopefully, you will be smart enough not to take it. Good Luck.
I went back and re-read SA's full posting. It was a good post, and a good-natured one at that. He said it was a fun place, and apparently, has good margaritas. He didn't say go there and get sauced did he?

There are hundreds, possibly thousands of posts that recommend restaurants, both on the water, and accessible by car. In those various threads, you'll find references to beers, wine, bar service, etc. SA mentioned many places to visit, and the piece that got your dander was trivial, and probably not offensive to most.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VtSteve For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-15-2011), chipj29 (07-13-2011), eyenotall777 (07-13-2011), good4uccm (07-14-2011), hilltopper (07-13-2011), ishoot308 (07-13-2011), Slickcraft (07-13-2011), WakeboardMom (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #33
sa meredith

Default ?

Quote:
I'm trying to understand your post. I thought I offered some sincere advice on places they would enjoy by boat and car.
When not in a family situation...no kids...I've always enjoyed Crazy Gringos, had many good times there, and had guests tell me they were glad I turned them on to the place. What's wrong with a trip to the Weirs and a few laughs at Gringos?
Was your post meant to be a joke?
I guests I'm taken back by you calling my suggestion stupid. I happen to enjoy the place. To each, his own, I guess.
Try to be a bit nicer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
eyenotall777 (07-13-2011), Jonas Pilot (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #34
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
I'm trying to understand your post. I thought I offered some sincere advice on places they would enjoy by boat and car.
When not in a family situation...no kids...I've always enjoyed Crazy Gringos, had many good times there, and had guests tell me they were glad I turned them on to the place. What's wrong with a trip to the Weirs and a few laughs at Gringos?
Was your post meant to be a joke?
I guests I'm taken back by you calling my suggestion stupid. I happen to enjoy the place. To each, his own, I guess.
Try to be a bit nicer.
Having been deeply, deeply impacted by a drunk driver I take offense to anyone who encourages, and then makes light of, drinking and boating.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-17-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #35
chipj29

Quote:
Having been deeply, deeply impacted by a drunk driver I take offense to anyone who encourages, and then makes light of, drinking and boating.
Where did sa meredith say anything about driving drunk?
Are you saying that because he mentioned that they serve margs in mason jars, he is implying that it is OK to drive drunk?
Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #36
sa meredith

Default Sorry

Quote:
I never encouraged any such thing. Although the captain could certainly have one, eat, and be fine. At 225 lbs., I'm comfortable with a limit of 2.
While I am sorry for any trouble OUI has brought to your life, calling people stupid is by far the most offensive thing posted in this thread. Sorry...no free pass on this....you're just plain wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to sa meredith For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #37
Ride & Dive

Default Another First Timer Here!!

Thanks for all the great advice on this topic. I too am a first time house & boat renter on the lake and will be heading up in a few weeks. I have completed the NH course and received my license, have been studying a Bizer map of the lake and secured a friends GPS unit for the vacation. I am not new to boating but want to take as much precaution as possible so I don't run into too many surprises. We will be staying on a island so we will be spending plenty of time in the boat. I really appreciate all the guidance around places to visit and places to eat.

We are renting the boat from a local marina and the experience so far has been great. They are very accommodating and have handled things professionally. I don't expect any issues when I get the boat but (in the spirit of being prepared) I was wondering if there is any advice around some key items I should look for / ask about when I pick up the boat and drop it off?

Things I've thought about:
- Full tour of the boat including all areas of operation
- Fueling process / procedure
- Ensuring all components are functioning properly
- Ensuring all safety equipment in place an functioning
- Checking anchor line
- Inspecting for existing damage (including the prop)

Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #38
Rattlesnake Guy

Ride&Dive
I hope you have a great visit to the lake. It is nice that you are giving some thought to your experience. I am sure it will make it much more enjoyable.

Make sure you know where the safety equipment is like vest and fire extinguishers.

If you have kids on the boat, know what the rules are for them. (Since you took the course, you probably know them pretty well)

You are going to find that some parts of the lake are a piece of cake and others take a lot of attention. Until you know which type you are in, don't assume that just because you are far from shore, there is nothing to worry about. The same up and down bottom that gives us 250 islands gives us some shallow areas and rocks in some unlikely places.

When I was new to the lake, I found myself a little disoriented a couple of times and was not sure if I was on the right side of a marker. I chose to stop and make damn sure I knew where I was. A couple of times, I was sure glad I did. When you are on the wrong side of a marker, there is not much of a hurry.

If you get a chance to watch the sun set out on the water on a beautiful night, you won't regret it.

Enjoy your time and the island.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Guy For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #39
MikeF-NH

R&D,
Check the Bizer for places to fuel up. There are several marinas with fuel on the lake...prices will be high though. Find a marina that is close for you and that you are comfortable navigating to/from.

3 Areas I would study on the Bizer before attempting then being careful when going in the first time are:
1.) The area from Long/Cow Island north to Moultonboro Bay including coming in from LI bridge through the six pack, coming in through hole in the wall and coming between Cow island and the mainland to the west. Also be aware of Middle Ground Shoal when approaching this area from the Broads to the south.
2.) The area from Welch in to Weirs and back out to Bear (make a triangle).
3.) The area between Lees Mills and where Moultonboro Bay Opens up

While there are other small areas to be careful in, these are larger areas that have lots of challenges. I think the Bizer will pretty much show you why these areas need caution for even Winni-experienced boaters.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #40
Ride & Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF-NH View Post
R&D,

3 Areas I would study on the Bizer before attempting then being careful when going in the first time are:
1.) The area from Long/Cow Island north to Moultonboro Bay including coming in from LI bridge through the six pack, coming in through hole in the wall and coming between Cow island and the mainland to the west. Also be aware of Middle Ground Shoal when approaching this area from the Broads to the south.
2.) The area from Welch in to Weirs and back out to Bear (make a triangle).
3.) The area between Lees Mills and where Moultonboro Bay Opens up

While there are other small areas to be careful in, these are larger areas that have lots of challenges. I think the Bizer will pretty much show you why these areas need caution for even Winni-experienced boaters.
Great advice, thank you.
1 & 3. we have family up on Moultonborough Neck so we will likely hit Braun Bay / Glines Island but we don't plan on doing much more in that area.

2. Is your advice here primarily because of the Witches? I ask because we will be on Mink on the northern part of the triangle you reference.

The boat will be out of Glendale and my thought was to approach Mink between Round and Timber (depth looks decent there) being very sure to stay well clear of the Witches.

Thanks!
Ride & Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #41
MikeF-NH

The Witches is a huge part of my advice on that triagle but also coming past Eagle Island can be a bit tricky especially as light fades and in high traffic. There is also markers in the open water south of the entrace to the Bay that seperates Bear and Merideth Neck (south entrance not the one by Pine Island). Also loads of markers around all those islands in the area around Mink....some of them block off huge areas of open water and again, you just have to be careful in there an know what you are doing. I've never had any problems personally in there but you have to keep your wits about you.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post:
Ride & Dive (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #42
sa meredith

Default Sallys gut

Just this minute got back from marina. Drove thru sallys gut for the first time today after spending a few minutes with my chart. Probably not the best thing for someone new to the lake. Yes, it is well marked, but a bit nerve racking.
At the end, as I approached the tiny little opening that let's you out, a near by fisherman yelled for me to center myself more with the opening...and told me to do it quickly. As I past thru, I saw where my course would have taken me. Hull would have hit...no question. I believe the area requires a bit of "local knowledge" aside from the chart. Probably better to pass thru the first time with someone who has done it already.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #43
trfour

Quote:
Just this minute got back from marina. Drove thru sallys gut for the first time today after spending a few minutes with my chart. Probably not the best thing for someone new to the lake. Yes, it is well marked, but a bit nerve racking.
At the end, as I approached the tiny little opening that let's you out, a near by fisherman yelled for me to center myself more with the opening...and told me to do it quickly. As I past thru, I saw where my course would have taken me. Hull would have hit...no question. I believe the area requires a bit of "local knowledge" aside from the chart. Probably better to pass thru the first time with someone who has done it already.

Well done sa, and you now have some " local knowledge, to boot ", without hitting the ledge, or a rock!

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 PM   #44
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride & Dive View Post
Thanks for all the great advice on this topic. I too am a first time house & boat renter on the lake and will be heading up in a few weeks. I have completed the NH course and received my license, have been studying a Bizer map of the lake and secured a friends GPS unit for the vacation. I am not new to boating but want to take as much precaution as possible so I don't run into too many surprises. We will be staying on a island so we will be spending plenty of time in the boat. I really appreciate all the guidance around places to visit and places to eat.

We are renting the boat from a local marina and the experience so far has been great. They are very accommodating and have handled things professionally. I don't expect any issues when I get the boat but (in the spirit of being prepared) I was wondering if there is any advice around some key items I should look for / ask about when I pick up the boat and drop it off?

Things I've thought about:
- Full tour of the boat including all areas of operation
- Fueling process / procedure
- Ensuring all components are functioning properly
- Ensuring all safety equipment in place an functioning
- Checking anchor line
- Inspecting for existing damage (including the prop)

Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Make sure you have a second anchor if you plan to anchor at the popular sand bars.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #45
Dave R

Quote:
Wondering how anyone could look at that opening in the "Stonedam" and not want to stay right dead center in it...
Old 07-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #46
sa meredith

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Wondering how anyone could look at that opening in the "Stonedam" and not want to stay right dead center in it...
A boat was entering so I thought moving a bit to the right would be OK. It looked liked it would be fine...but I was wrong. No harm done.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #47
Dave R

Quote:
A boat was entering so I thought moving a bit to the right would be OK. It looked liked it would be fine...but I was wrong. No harm done.

Ah, gotcha. That's a pretty tight channel. Having been through it many times, there's no way I'd ever try to get two boats through at once. Really deep in the middle though. Reminds me a little of the channel underneath the Governor's Island bridge.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #48
Aguamenti

This is my first post to the forum, and I just wanted to say thank you for all of this fantastic advice.

I've been going to Wolfeboro all my life, but my family just recently bought a house up there, and I'm trying to do loads of research about boating on the lake with the hope of buying a small boat at some point.

I've already ordered my Bizer chart and have been reading up on the Boater's Guide with plans to get my safety certification this summer.

I am so glad to have found this forum!
Aguamenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #49
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguamenti View Post
This is my first post to the forum, and I just wanted to say thank you for all of this fantastic advice.

I've been going to Wolfeboro all my life, but my family just recently bought a house up there, and I'm trying to do loads of research about boating on the lake with the hope of buying a small boat at some point.

I've already ordered my Bizer chart and have been reading up on the Boater's Guide with plans to get my safety certification this summer.

I am so glad to have found this forum!
Welcome to the Forum!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote